Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Samsung in general seems to have this problem. Originally their EPP/MPP site discount was cookie based (so people would share a saved website that would load the proper cookie). Then when that Note 7 battery fiasco happened... they sent $100 off $100 coupons to people who were affected. Except instead of issuing individual codes, they issued a single code, which got shared (I got a $20 SSD out of the deal).

At least they used unique codes this time :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Duckman2008 posted:

Lol yeah, sometimes manufacturers will offer discounts or whatever to reps because if the reps have a Samsung phone, usually more Samsung phones get sold. HTC specifically used to be really big on promos like this.

But that’s amazing if it doesn’t verify employment (usually stuff like that you need to use your work email for or get an invite).

It also stacks with unidays and ebates

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

It’s been a while since I’ve been on Att, can you still just plop a postpaid SIM into a gophone/prepaid phone and use it as is?

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Maneki Neko posted:

It’s been a while since I’ve been on Att, can you still just plop a postpaid SIM into a gophone/prepaid phone and use it as is?

yep!

Pretty much any non carrier locked GSM phone will have you up and running, or any gophone.

Cricket phones are a bit hit and miss. 80% of the ones I've tried have worked just fine with att postpaid, not not all.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
According to phonearena.com the Nokia 7 plus uses these bands:
GSM:
850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
UMTS:
850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz
LTE (FDD):
Bands 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28
LTE (TDD):
Bands 38, 40, 41

Without LTE 12/17 does that mean it wouldn't have AT&T LTE? :( I really wanted to get one.
The 8 Sirocco adds bands 2 & 4 which Wikipedia says AT&T uses for additional capacity, but I have no idea if there's a way to tell where it's used. Also the 8 only comes in single SIM which is kind of weird.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Just ordered an s9+. When it arrives can i just take the sim card from my s7 edge and toss it in the s9? Or will i have to pay the 35 activation fee?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Just swapping it is how it usually works

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Blue Train posted:

Just swapping it is how it usually works

Thanks, appreciate the response.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’ve been on the unlimited grandfathered plan for years now, but with T-Mobile’s $50 military plan, I think I’m going to make the switch. A few questions-I am not in a current contract:

1) think att would be willing to give me a similar deal if I threaten to cancel? I’m paying like 97 a month after my fan discount, so I doubt it.

2) I got my phone unlocked in December when I went overseas for a few weeks-is there any way to ensure it’s still unlocked?

3) do I need to cancel att first before I go to t mobile or after? I plan on keeping the same phone number if I can.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

nwin posted:

I’ve been on the unlimited grandfathered plan for years now, but with T-Mobile’s $50 military plan, I think I’m going to make the switch. A few questions-I am not in a current contract:

1) think att would be willing to give me a similar deal if I threaten to cancel? I’m paying like 97 a month after my fan discount, so I doubt it.

2) I got my phone unlocked in December when I went overseas for a few weeks-is there any way to ensure it’s still unlocked?

3) do I need to cancel att first before I go to t mobile or after? I plan on keeping the same phone number if I can.

Porting your number cancels your services, although you’ll still get billed, etc

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Maneki Neko posted:

Porting your number cancels your services, although you’ll still get billed, etc

So go to T-Mobile first, sign up, then call att and cancel?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Call att. See if they will give you a deal. If not (do not cancel service yet) then go to tmobile and port your lines. It will automatically cancel your att account.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

nwin posted:

So go to T-Mobile first, sign up, then call att and cancel?

If you want to keep your number, do not cancel anything yourself. Porting your number to T-Mobile from AT&T will automatically cancel your AT&T service when the port request is completed.

If you cancel your AT&T service yourself, at any point in the process, you will lose your number.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 29, 2018

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Don Lapre posted:

Call att. See if they will give you a deal. If not (do not cancel service yet) then go to tmobile and port your lines. It will automatically cancel your att account.

Well I talked to AT&T and after looking at my account, the most she could offer to save me was $5, bringing my bill down to $92 instead of $97, so it looks like I'll go check out T-mobile today.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I’m working for ATT again, he’ll yeah :c00l:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

AT&T switched the autopay date from 2 days before due to 6 days after bill closing if you use a credit card (as opposed to a debit card or checking account). However, my monthly trade-in credit that offsets my Next payment gets processed mid-month, which means for this most recent bill it wasn't applied. It'll just catch up next month you say, which would be fine EXCEPT I got the iPhone 7 when it came out in September 2016 so when I get the next iPhone in a couple months and sign a new contract, it's likely that final credit won't be applied unless I switch payment over to my debit card. Very annoying.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

kingcobweb posted:

I’m working for ATT again, he’ll yeah :c00l:

Welcome back to the world of cell phones. Hope ATT has gotten to be a better place to work and it’ll work out for you.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe
Since we have an ATT employee in here again, I have a question. Do you have any advice on how I get my coverage complaints heard? I moved in February and my new house has terrible coverage. I was told back then that there was technical problems and they were going to be fixed and but that was a load of bs because it is still horrible. On top of that, I also have absolutely no coverage at work. I know this is probably never going to be fixed in my life time but it just adds to my frustration. Do they care or should I just bail?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wiggly posted:

Since we have an ATT employee in here again, I have a question. Do you have any advice on how I get my coverage complaints heard? I moved in February and my new house has terrible coverage. I was told back then that there was technical problems and they were going to be fixed and but that was a load of bs because it is still horrible. On top of that, I also have absolutely no coverage at work. I know this is probably never going to be fixed in my life time but it just adds to my frustration. Do they care or should I just bail?

This app is still getting updates

AT&T Mark the Spot by AT&T Services, Inc.https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/at-t-mark-the-spot/id338307313?mt=8

Come to Verizon, we are usually nicer.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
Lol, Verizon is notoriously hostile to customers when not trying to upsell them.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like I pay way too much money for my 3 cell phones on ATT and unlimited...i'm paying like $315 a month. Do you guys think I could get a lower payment or something if I call in and threaten to cancel? Would really like to go to Verizon but theyre not having any "we'll pay your ETF" deals :(

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

elmer chud posted:

Lol, Verizon is notoriously hostile to customers when not trying to upsell them.

Usually nicer than ATT. And it can be better certainly, but having worked both, there is a legit culture difference between ATT and Verizon.

Empress Brosephine posted:

I feel like I pay way too much money for my 3 cell phones on ATT and unlimited...i'm paying like $315 a month. Do you guys think I could get a lower payment or something if I call in and threaten to cancel? Would really like to go to Verizon but theyre not having any "we'll pay your ETF" deals :(

ATT at times offered retention plans, so it is always worth calling and asking. The worst they say is no. Honestly, Verizon unlimited is probably similar pricing, $150 for 3 people, more if you want prioritized data and/or hotspot, and phone payment plans of like, $30ish a line makes it $250ish plus tax. $40 if you want insurance.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

Which Unlimited plan? The new one without hotspot (Unlimited and More I think it is, I’m still learning the new plans) is $145 for the service for three lines before all the other charges.

Usually you don’t need to threaten cancellation, just move onto a better plan

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Wiggly posted:

Have you tried a microcell?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

there is a legit culture difference between ATT and Verizon.

Can you expand upon this? Having only worked for AT&T, I am curious what major culture differences there are.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Verizon employees walk like THIS *mimes replacing the entire FCC with telecom cronies* but ATT employees, they walk like THIS *walks into news studio and buys the company*

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

Can you expand upon this? Having only worked for AT&T, I am curious what major culture differences there are.

ATT was a toxic culture in my experience. Most of it i believe is an issue stemming from the Union, and really that it everything is management vs union. Management targets employees to directly clean house, if you don’t bleed blue or if you question policies you get labeled not a team player, and that result is not in just not getting a promotion, but they’ll eventually find an excuse to fire you.

Verizon isn’t perfect, but management is at least constructed around trying to help sales reps get better at their job. They def want team players, but you aren’t ostracized for questioning a policy. And Verizon has dumb initiatives like ATT does, but in my experience they at least line up in terms of what makes commission, so they at least make sense and match what motivates people (income).

Also, Verizon pays a bit better if you’re a top performer, at least in my experience.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 11, 2018

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Fun Shoe

kingcobweb posted:

Have you tried a microcell?

My understanding is that those use your home internet connection and since I already have WiFi calling it is sort of moot. Am I correct?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Wiggly posted:

My understanding is that those use your home internet connection and since I already have WiFi calling it is sort of moot. Am I correct?

In theory, yes. But ATT can pry my microcell out of my cold, dead hands, or remotely deactivate it eventually.

It works much better than their WiFi calling stuff.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

So uh...

I was calling AT&T last night to shut down the sim card on my dad's phone, since he lost it, and insurance is sending him a new one. Customer Service guy was trying to upsell me super hard. Makes me remember this article that was floating around recently:
https://www.techtimes.com/articles/...les-tactics.htm

Anyhow, I already have AT&T Unlimited... Plus Family Plan with four lines? Whatever, the one with HD Streaming before the new "enhanced" plans... no idea what's the difference between the old and new one other than I think I get $20 off Directv/Directvnow and the new plans only get $15.

Also have DirecTV Now which is uh... could use some more development, but I use the hell out of Data Free TV in the triple digits of gigs

Guy wants to upsell me on DirecTV, not DirecTV now. I got rid of DirecTV for a lot of reasons, but if I had more time to work it out and read the fine print, I may have taken it, because he was spurting out all sorts of crap. This was what he was offering:
Over 200 channels for $25 a month ($20 with autobill I think). Free installation, and includes access to the DirecTV App. On top of that, he'll upgrade my dad's phone to a Samsung Galaxy 8 for free (or maybe half) iirc (Dad had a flip phone, but he's still on that flat $20 or whatever it is for each additional line). Also a $300 visa rebate. And HBO for life, but y'know, I already have that.

I tell him that I'm sure there's a 2 year contract and that's the intro first year. He said that during the second year it's like $50-something; that a lot of customers were unhappy with that and that I could call in later and they'd do the "2nd year extension" on intro pricing (sounds shady as hell). I kept questioning him on it and he said he's in customer support and not sales so he's only looking to get me a good deal (Hahahaha). Somewhere along the line of my humming and hawing the connection dropped, and I imagine he just hung up.

How much of this is legit and how much of it is bullshit? I remember back when we had access to their online promotions sales cheat sheet. I'd probably take that deal if I saw the print and didn't feel like the guy was reaching for my wallet while a gun was being held to his head.

Yo kingcobweb what's the inside scoop here?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I feel so dirty signing up for AT&T fiber but selling your soul to the devil for gigabit up and down is worth it

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

I feel so dirty signing up for AT&T fiber but selling your soul to the devil for gigabit up and down is worth it

Unfortunately the same. In my area it was either charter at 150MB, or ATT at a Gigabit.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

AT&T Mark the Spot by AT&T Services, Inc.https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/at-t-mark-the-spot/id338307313?mt=8

[/[//url][//

[quote="Duckman2008" post="485954419"]

I've done plenty of those since January. Nothing ever changes.

Probably will move to Verizon. They are the only cell company that provides coverage in the town I work in which is literally 25 miles from downtown Denver. How does that happen in 2018?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Unfortunately the same. In my area it was either charter at 150MB, or ATT at a Gigabit.

I would do ATT fibre if it were here. Instead it’s still the same lovely Uverse so I have TWC 300mb cable modem.

I don’t think we are ever getting fibre in my hood.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

BeAuMaN posted:

So uh...

I was calling AT&T last night to shut down the sim card on my dad's phone, since he lost it, and insurance is sending him a new one. Customer Service guy was trying to upsell me super hard. Makes me remember this article that was floating around recently:
https://www.techtimes.com/articles/...les-tactics.htm

Anyhow, I already have AT&T Unlimited... Plus Family Plan with four lines? Whatever, the one with HD Streaming before the new "enhanced" plans... no idea what's the difference between the old and new one other than I think I get $20 off Directv/Directvnow and the new plans only get $15.

Also have DirecTV Now which is uh... could use some more development, but I use the hell out of Data Free TV in the triple digits of gigs

Guy wants to upsell me on DirecTV, not DirecTV now. I got rid of DirecTV for a lot of reasons, but if I had more time to work it out and read the fine print, I may have taken it, because he was spurting out all sorts of crap. This was what he was offering:
Over 200 channels for $25 a month ($20 with autobill I think). Free installation, and includes access to the DirecTV App. On top of that, he'll upgrade my dad's phone to a Samsung Galaxy 8 for free (or maybe half) iirc (Dad had a flip phone, but he's still on that flat $20 or whatever it is for each additional line). Also a $300 visa rebate. And HBO for life, but y'know, I already have that.

I tell him that I'm sure there's a 2 year contract and that's the intro first year. He said that during the second year it's like $50-something; that a lot of customers were unhappy with that and that I could call in later and they'd do the "2nd year extension" on intro pricing (sounds shady as hell). I kept questioning him on it and he said he's in customer support and not sales so he's only looking to get me a good deal (Hahahaha). Somewhere along the line of my humming and hawing the connection dropped, and I imagine he just hung up.

How much of this is legit and how much of it is bullshit? I remember back when we had access to their online promotions sales cheat sheet. I'd probably take that deal if I saw the print and didn't feel like the guy was reaching for my wallet while a gun was being held to his head.

Yo kingcobweb what's the inside scoop here?

$25 a month: true for the first year including the $15 loyalty credit. Actually the cheapest package is $20 a month including that for the first year

Free installation and app: true, but you decide if the activation fee is the same thing as an installation charge.

Upgrade dad’s phone: buying DTV qualifies you for BOGO phones (it’s possible that their version of it lets you do this with two upgrades)

$300 visa rebate: yeah this exists

The cheapest DTV all included package (ie not paying separately for equipment etc) has a second year price of $78/month.

Second year extension on pricing: bullshit and we are specifically told never to instruct customers to call customer service to ask for this kind of thing in order to close a sale (people say similar stuff all the time though)

My boss was showing me today that the cheapest package, if you have the $15 credit with the unlimited, averages out to $41.50 a month over the two years. That’s for the equivalent of basic cable with no ESPN

“Customer support not sales” is playing games with words. Yeah he’s not in the Sales Department but he obv has to hit numbers

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

My last place had gigabit for $80/month no contract and it’s like I’ve glimpsed god. (WaveG is legit)

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

kingcobweb posted:

$25 a month: true for the first year including the $15 loyalty credit. Actually the cheapest package is $20 a month including that for the first year

Free installation and app: true, but you decide if the activation fee is the same thing as an installation charge.

Upgrade dad’s phone: buying DTV qualifies you for BOGO phones (it’s possible that their version of it lets you do this with two upgrades)

$300 visa rebate: yeah this exists

The cheapest DTV all included package (ie not paying separately for equipment etc) has a second year price of $78/month.

Second year extension on pricing: bullshit and we are specifically told never to instruct customers to call customer service to ask for this kind of thing in order to close a sale (people say similar stuff all the time though)

My boss was showing me today that the cheapest package, if you have the $15 credit with the unlimited, averages out to $41.50 a month over the two years. That’s for the equivalent of basic cable with no ESPN

“Customer support not sales” is playing games with words. Yeah he’s not in the Sales Department but he obv has to hit numbers

Thanks for that

Re: I currently have a $20 loyalty credit. So Not sure if that would make my package a little cheaper

Is the activation fee for the phone or DTV? I know I have waived activation fees through corporate discount (Individual responsibility user)

And yeah I know the "customer support not sales" thing sounded loving hilarious. Geez so shady.

Eh, I'll give it some thought. If it's just BOGO on the phones... meh. Thanks again for the help!

Last question: Is there any difference I need to worry about with the older Unlimited Premium plan (from last year or whatever I think, they launched the enhanced like a month or two ago right?) versus the new "enhanced" unlimited plans? Are they going to try to chuck my old $20 loyalty credit or something and cut me down to a $15 one?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

BeAuMaN posted:

Thanks for that

Re: I currently have a $20 loyalty credit. So Not sure if that would make my package a little cheaper

Is the activation fee for the phone or DTV? I know I have waived activation fees through corporate discount (Individual responsibility user)

And yeah I know the "customer support not sales" thing sounded loving hilarious. Geez so shady.

Eh, I'll give it some thought. If it's just BOGO on the phones... meh. Thanks again for the help!

Last question: Is there any difference I need to worry about with the older Unlimited Premium plan (from last year or whatever I think, they launched the enhanced like a month or two ago right?) versus the new "enhanced" unlimited plans? Are they going to try to chuck my old $20 loyalty credit or something and cut me down to a $15 one?

Where are you seeing $20 loyalty credit? AFAIK the video credit has always been $15.

The new higher unlimited plan has 15gb hotspotting per line instead of 10, and the pricing is ten times as complicated. For single line it’s $80 instead of $90 though, with the price difference coming in more autopay credit.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice
I’m on the oldest iPhone Unlimited Plan with unlimited SMS. Is there any reason not to jump to a newer Unlimited Plus plan, apart from loss of a $10 FAN discount?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
You would gain tethering, that's about it. If a new plan will cost you less money and/or you want tethering, then switch.