Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Bottom Liner posted:

It makes the game more aggressive and end quicker for sure, but I did only get to try with 2 of the wind token cards. Basically it lets you move their pieces around and put them in dangerous spots, leading to faster aggression like playing with the Tiger card or any other big movements. I liked it but interested in seeing everything else in there.

If I remember correctly from my demo and questioning at Origins, it's the wind spirit, 8 windspirit move cards, 2(maybe 4) normal cards, and that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Chill la Chill posted:

Also buying a $150 meeple upgrade kit for dominant species.

Don’t doxx me please thanks

Archenteron posted:

If I remember correctly from my demo and questioning at Origins, it's the wind spirit, 8 windspirit move cards, 2(maybe 4) normal cards, and that's it.

Not bad if it’s cheap. Did all of the wind spirit cards seem aggressive?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Razor Jacksuit posted:

I bought these during a previous Kickstarter. They just wrapped one up and I see the LoW-specific coins are on backorder, but it might be worth getting in touch or checking out the rest of their inventory.

Did they deliver on time?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I thought eclipse looked like a cool game, but my experience of it was easily the worst of any game I've ever played. I can't remember the exact rules / terminology, but I basically started the game exploring and only finding tiles with bonus resources, but no resource generating tiles at all. I was a race specifically designed to turtle (plants or something I think) but it was impossible. I turned around from my cul-de-sac, unable to maintain let alone grow my army, and headed toward the middle to try and grab a planet or something, but another player blocked off my only avenue, and so I knew from incredibly early on there was literally no chance me impacting the game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The random draw is the worst thing in Eclipse and I can’t believe they haven’t addressed that.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
You can discard any draws when exploring you don’t like. But there aren’t really any deadly draws anyway, although what you go with will shape your strategy. It’s also good to be aware what’s in the tier 1/2/3 hex decks when you are deciding which way to go. I suppose a lot of this is more apparent on subsequent plays, though.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

The Eclipse Kickstarter is such a bare bones lazy thing that really rubs me the wrong way.

Also the deluxe edition is 50% more expensive but just includes custom ships for one of the races and a few extra tiles? Custom ships for races are a terrible idea

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mojo Jojo posted:

The Eclipse Kickstarter is such a bare bones lazy thing that really rubs me the wrong way.

Also the deluxe edition is 50% more expensive but just includes custom ships for one of the races and a few extra tiles? Custom ships for races are a terrible idea

The base game includes the equivalent of Ship Pack One, ships for six different races. The deluxe contains six sets of identical ships for humans.

I agree that different shaped ships for different races is terrible, though. I passed the same comment on unique cultists for Cthulhu Wars factions. It's thematic at the expense of gameplay.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Turns out that mini the size of a toddler is actually the game board for the final campaign, which I don't hate as much. It's still a fugly model that absolutely doesn't need to exist but I guess at least there's some kind of reason it's big.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

!Klams posted:

Turns out that mini the size of a toddler is actually the game board for the final campaign, which I don't hate as much. It's still a fugly model that absolutely doesn't need to exist but I guess at least there's some kind of reason it's big.

It's the finale of the narrative (assuming the investigators lost I guess?) that's not only Kickstarter exclusive, but also $150 plus shipping (~$20 in the US). There is no need to downplay how lovely it is.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

fozzy fosbourne posted:

The end game is reading pages and pages of clearclaw posts on bgg reviewing different kinds of poker chips.
Speaking of, any good chip sets for 18XX that are sold in the EU?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Jedit posted:

The base game includes the equivalent of Ship Pack One, ships for six different races. The deluxe contains six sets of identical ships for humans.

If you haven't played Eclipse and wonder why there are so many humans, it's because the player mats are double sided. They all have an alien faction on one side and a human on the other, so everyone that wants to play a vanilla / basic race can do so, and humans are available every game regardless of how many different alien races are in use.

The weird thing to me is that the deluxe and normal versions aren't flipped. Surely it would be cheaper to ship with 6 sets of the same thing then charge a premium for people that want different ships? And if you get the deluxe version it'll be a little odd to always have 6 sets of ships sitting in the box even if you're playing a 6 player game.

I'm mulling backing it. I've only played the app version of the original and liked it well enough, but it deffo sounds like this KS is a bit of a missed opportunity in terms of fixing problems...

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Pierzak posted:

I got my set from https://www.poker-shop.co.uk you need to select what you want though/create your own distribution.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

GrandpaPants posted:

It's the finale of the narrative (assuming the investigators lost I guess?) that's not only Kickstarter exclusive, but also $150 plus shipping (~$20 in the US). There is no need to downplay how lovely it is.

Yeah, you're right, I loving hate it a lot. I quite like the idea of a game board that's a big complex monster that you're clambering over a la shadow of the collosus, but this is a poo poo way to do that.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Pierzak posted:

It looks like Apache ships to a bunch of nations: https://www.apachepokerchips.com/international/

I bought the Apache Majestic Blanks so I can fit in with the Northern California clearclaw 18xx scene someday. For real, they are really nice.

E: clearclaw has recommended distributions in his profile here https://boardgamegeek.com/user/clearclaw

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 11, 2018

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

!Klams posted:

I thought eclipse looked like a cool game, but my experience of it was easily the worst of any game I've ever played. I can't remember the exact rules / terminology, but I basically started the game exploring and only finding tiles with bonus resources, but no resource generating tiles at all. I was a race specifically designed to turtle (plants or something I think) but it was impossible. I turned around from my cul-de-sac, unable to maintain let alone grow my army, and headed toward the middle to try and grab a planet or something, but another player blocked off my only avenue, and so I knew from incredibly early on there was literally no chance me impacting the game.

That reminds me when I played 3-player Gaia Project, and the end-game scoring bonuses both had to do with gaiaforming planets (or something, I know one of them was specifically about gaia forming, can't remember exactly what the second one was), and both my opponents had races that got explicit bonuses whenever they performed that action, whereas I did not. Which meant they rocketed up that track, I had to try to get other bonuses, but they blocked from doing much else and it all left a really sour taste in my mouth.

EBag
May 18, 2006

!Klams posted:

Experiences like this are why I ended up getting rid of it. When different players can do the same action and get very different quality results it just sours the whole experience. Playing a 3-4 hour game where someone gets screwed by luck in the first turn and is immediately set back, while someone else can have great luck and everything goes their way just wasn't fun.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I like playing Eclipse still, but easily the worst part of playing it for me was that no matter how prepared for combat I think I was, I get rolled by a single ancient ship or something similar. drat dice rolls.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Getting sealed off from everything with Planta kinda sounds like 75% being handed the game :v:

If everyone rushes to do the same thing (gather, grow a big powerful fleet, trash the GDC or trash whoever went first after they are weakened) then Eclipse seems pretty much decided by the first few draws.

Which is why I started playing specifically to try alternate poo poo, things like fast but weak ships to nab territory or tank economies by neuron bombing anything undefended (or simply threatening to do so by existing) or turtle up making monoliths, or whatever else I can think of. It's not exactly easy but everything in Eclipse is relative to the other players so it seemed to make sense to do the same with overall strategies. Fortunately even for moderate economies nothing is truly unaffordable.

I'm not that good at Eclipse though so I don't know if I'm trying to run uphill on this.

Side note: I've found that playing against the computer on Eclipse iOS is very different from playing with humans. People focus a lot more on combat and take everything more... personally I guess. No one likes having "their" stuff attacked or threatened and they will spend a lot of time and effort to return the favor plus interest. Non violent strategies get away with much more in the early game (getting VP is ok, attacking is not) but you better get some military might from somewhere because in late game everyone starts looking for soft places to aim their guns.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Blamestorm posted:

You can discard any draws when exploring you don’t like. But there aren’t really any deadly draws anyway, although what you go with will shape your strategy. It’s also good to be aware what’s in the tier 1/2/3 hex decks when you are deciding which way to go. I suppose a lot of this is more apparent on subsequent plays, though.

It's still a wasted action on a game where actions are money.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

fozzy fosbourne posted:

It looks like Apache ships to a bunch of nations: https://www.apachepokerchips.com/international/
Yes but:
1. it's in the US, which means ridiculous shipping,
2. it's in the US, which adds the question of recent extra customs charges for playing cards and the like.

Thanks for the distributions, though. (even if I'd rather eat broken glass than play with this dude)

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 11, 2018

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

SettingSun posted:

I like playing Eclipse still, but easily the worst part of playing it for me was that no matter how prepared for combat I think I was, I get rolled by a single ancient ship or something similar. drat dice rolls.

This happened very early in the game to my girlfriend last time we played. She was playing as Orions, upgraded and made some ships, and attacked the ancients in a very one sided battle.

She failed to roll any hits. The other player rolled a bunch of sixes. She failed to roll any hits. The other player rolled a bunch of sixes.

She was out of the game before it started due to bad dice and had a miserable time sitting around doing nothing of any importance for the next three hours.

Her attempts at exploring to salvage the situation came up with nothing.

Game is bad.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

Pierzak posted:

Yes but:
1. it's in the US, which means ridiculous shipping,
2. it's in the US, which adds the question of recent extra customs charges for playing cards and the like.

Thanks for the distributions, though.

Maybe you can still get the Brass Kickstarter Poker Chips from their website. I think it's Roxley Games (?)

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Eclipse is cool but I don’t think it’s going to survive the ~sands of time~.

Media Bloodbath posted:

Maybe you can still get the Brass Kickstarter Poker Chips from their website. I think it's Roxley Games (?)

They are doing a poker chip Kickstarter later this year. The brass add on was a pretty good deal for fancy graphic ceramic chips, assuming they are quality.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Media Bloodbath posted:

The Iron Clays? I could get those from a FLGS. Are they as great as they look?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Bottom Liner posted:

Not bad if it’s cheap. Did all of the wind spirit cards seem aggressive?

In terms of the player movement sides? Probably the usual balance. In terms of the wind spirit's movement? They can literally only move forward in some fashion, so... yes?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That's what I was curious about but yeah, I think I like it. Might proxy it up and try it out tonight. The only thing I don't like about the game is when you get very slow card sets that make it drag out, so I think this will fix that.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

al-azad posted:

It's still a wasted action on a game where actions are money.

This is partly why I don't really like competing for a mega fleet; when you're racing other players for the same thing, you can't really afford to ditch a draw and waste the action. But if you're not racing the other players it's a lot easier to judge whether it's "worth" more to ditch a draw that doesn't help you, especially if you're working with limited space.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I think Eclipse is fundamentally a combat oriented game though so there's no real way to get around fighting when it comes right down to it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pierzak posted:

The Iron Clays? I could get those from a FLGS. Are they as great as they look?

I'll tell you in a week or so, Brass starts shipping in EU on Friday.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mister Sinewave posted:

I think Eclipse is fundamentally a combat oriented game though so there's no real way to get around fighting when it comes right down to it.

My issue with this is that combat is is tied to money. The disparity in money can easily mean one player acts twice as much as others.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I think the problem with Eclipse is that in a game where combat is so important, they made combat a luck-based thing where you have absolutely no idea if any of your strategy has been worth a drat at all.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Morpheus posted:

I think the problem with Eclipse is that in a game where combat is so important, they made combat a luck-based thing where you have absolutely no idea if any of your strategy has been worth a drat at all.

The game comes with half a pound of cardboard that you put on ships to all but eliminate randomness from the game. If you slap them down randomly than yeah, you're going to be praying to the dice gods. If you're decent at it, you end up getting into fights where you wipe out fleets without taking a shot. If anything, mid-endgame Eclipse combat is too deterministic. I know the guy with flux missiles beats the guy with plasma missiles who will lose to the girl with point defense who in turn can't get through my armor.

The only really luck based part of Eclipse's combat after the first turn is the victory point tokens you get for it. I don't know if they changed the spread on those tokens but it's one thing I wish they would do.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

The game comes with half a pound of cardboard that you put on ships to all but eliminate randomness from the game. If you slap them down randomly than yeah, you're going to be praying to the dice gods. If you're decent at it, you end up getting into fights where you wipe out fleets without taking a shot. If anything, mid-endgame Eclipse combat is too deterministic. I know the guy with flux missiles beats the guy with plasma missiles who will lose to the girl with point defense who in turn can't get through my armor.

The only really luck based part of Eclipse's combat after the first turn is the victory point tokens you get for it. I don't know if they changed the spread on those tokens but it's one thing I wish they would do.

This wasn't my experience. I haven't played Eclipse beyond the original release, but the technology scales 1:1 so getting +1 to hit is negated by +1 computers or whatever. Missiles were really powerful in the base game but I guess one of the expansion adds a counter to those.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I've never played nor will I play Eclipse but I think that employing a No True Scotsman defense in decry a dude's actual real life experience feels a little odd

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Alan Smithee posted:

Did they deliver on time?

Yeah, but well within my expectations for a Kickstarter. I just assume any KS will deliver late.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

backed at the 150 pledge level for eclipse 2e. not sure I shouldn't have gone for the $100 level instead.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I like Eclipse well enough, but this is silly. Like, quite often early you're just taking out some neutrals, and you have a pretty good idea of your chances are against them, and just have to decide when to roll. You could wait until you have a 95% chance of winning (ie. "be decent at it"), but the guy who tries (and wins) at 65% is going to be way ahead of you (or, sometimes, get wiped and be quite a bit behind). It's not a matter of "git gud"; if you're playing with reasonable opposition, you're going to have to try to get your chips in on good bets, and be prepared to win or lose on the results.

To be clear, I'm not against randomness - I mean, something has to decide combat between evenly matched players, and having uncertainty in outcome decreases AP - but the problem is how swingy the results in Eclipse are. For the same set of opposing forces, you can easily end up with one sided wipes either way as your computers/shields/crap cancel out and you're hunting 6s and subject to wildly variant results. This would be fine in a lighter game - but is very unsatisfying in a 3 hour one.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Looking for opinions on Clans of Caledonia especially with 2 players?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

jmzero posted:

I like Eclipse well enough, but this is silly. Like, quite often early you're just taking out some neutrals, and you have a pretty good idea of your chances are against them, and just have to decide when to roll. You could wait until you have a 95% chance of winning (ie. "be decent at it"), but the guy who tries (and wins) at 65% is going to be way ahead of you (or, sometimes, get wiped and be quite a bit behind). It's not a matter of "git gud"; if you're playing with reasonable opposition, you're going to have to try to get your chips in on good bets, and be prepared to win or lose on the results.

One kind of weird thing is that depending on your opponents, Force Projection and Deterrence may or may not be a thing. Like, losing ships is super costly since those build and move actions are all down the drain even if you consider the resources spent to be a sunk cost. But many players are willing to just throw down and see what happens #YOLO :shobon:

Like on one hand the math might not be favorable to (say) Jim attacking me, but on the other hand fortune favors the bold so Jim gives it a shot anyway and either gets lucky (and therefore gets ahead of me while knocking me back at the same time) or regular odds take their course and I prevail but Jim complains about the dice screwing him for the rest of the game & sporadically thereafter :v: