Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I'm the extremely put-upon mayor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I'm the exasperated ghost that's been following the party for a while trying to get their attention, only for Laius to reveal that he could see me all along :allears:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm :pwn: elf

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Squidster posted:

Man, Kui Ryoko is just killing it. This panel:

- Introduces a new adventuring party of high-minded elves, being interrupted by a rude arrival.
- Shows their internal group dynamic
- Shows how they relate to the world ( see how frightened and angry the locals are )
- Shows the character of each party member
- Hints at new worldbuilding through torn ears, fashion and tattoos
- Reinforces existing worldbuilding with monster trophies and fine food that the protagonists don't have
- Establishes location and moves the story forward.

All in one shot. That is some economical, gorgeous storytelling.

Don’t forget: - possibly Loss

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A valiant attempt

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

The guy by the chair, is he
a) an attempt to fluster the local governor
b) refusing to wear a shirt, no matter the circumstances, lest someone fail to appreciate his tats
c) wearing the appropriate uniform for someone of his rank in whatever army/navy this is
?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
d) proving that not all elves are women

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

ZiegeDame posted:

d) proving that not all elves are women
eeeeh

I think the jury's still out on that one, not entirely convinced yet that that IS a guy

I still remember the female dryads

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 30, 2023

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
While checking mangadex for the above picture, i saw that there's a second chapter for Isekai Transporter out. I expected the first chapter to be a one-shot, honestly. The second chapter is laying out the harsh truths in selecting candidates to send to other worlds:

(read this way ---->)

Looking at the majority of isekai stories out there, i have a feeling that many isekai transporters are very bad at their job in this regard.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 30, 2023

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

"Too horny" I say, carefully driving my big rig around the candidate

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Big Rigs: Over the Protag Racing

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
My mispost, from the Surreal SoL thread:

Onean posted:

There's a new Goblin is Very Strong. Feel free to skip it, it has the succubus and she's pretty bad this time. I wish she wasn't a character, all of the problems I have with this (aside from wishing Goblin had pants) come from the chapters she's in. :smith:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

HenryEx posted:

Looking at the majority of isekai stories out there, i have a feeling that many isekai transporters are very bad at their job in this regard.

Except that those protagonists usually still get the job done.

You have to be astoundingly horny to be rejected as a possibility.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

HenryEx posted:

eeeeh

I think the jury's still out on that one, not entirely convinced yet that that IS a guy

I still remember the female dryads

The sexual organs of plants are in the flowers.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Meme Emulator posted:

The sexual organs of plants are in the flowers.

Yeah, this is a biology joke, like the catgirl having no breasts but many nipples.

I don't know how elf biology works at all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

Except that those protagonists usually still get the job done.

You have to be astoundingly horny to be rejected as a possibility.

those were obviously sent by an agency with lower standards

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

I know this panel isn't as impressive as the one that comes previously, but I keep coming back to it because it looks like some banner for an alternative rock Elf band.

Also I feel kinda dumb, because while Laius = Dog has been a thing for a while now but I only just made the connection now that means the party has both a cat and a dog.

Rip Laius

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I really cant wait for those Elves to meet up with Laius and co, and forced to eat a monster dish. :allears:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Lt. Lizard posted:

I really cant wait for those Elves to meet up with Laius and co, and forced to eat a monster dish. :allears:

Even if they don't figure out about the Dark Arts thing, I think its going to put Marcille in a tough position because it seems like she might be relatively well known in elf society having the whole "her two parents where court magicians!" thing.

Oh, speaking of which, her mother's portrait was in her dream, so I think that is every character that was in the portrait gallery in the art book we haven't seen yet?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Ryoko Kui does such a great job of making those elves seem otherworldly and creepy. They're like supposed to be that way in a lot of fantasy, and conventional depictions of them just make them a race of "beautiful Spock ears" people. I love how actually slightly uncanny they look in this depiction.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
To properly portray elves they must be in a constant state of "you are inconveniencing me with your presence".

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
in the latest World Customize Creator, we find a vintage meme in the wild!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
What's world customizer about?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Artificer posted:

What's world customizer about?

Isekai. Dude is transported to a medieval-like world (with magic) and discovers he can literally access the developer console for the world and use it to create / destroy things instantly and effortlessly.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Oh. Does it do anything special?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

The only thing that comes to mind is that the society is basically divided into magic users (nobles and such) and non-magical people (second-class citizens), and the protagonist finds himself in the middle of this class struggle.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It’s in the upper tier of isekai because, primarily, the author is only thirsty as gently caress half the time and slaves aren’t a plot point.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW: "Despite what she looks, she's over 3000 years old"

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I used to wonder why so many people disliked isekai, and then I realized the small amount I had read were largely the ones that weren't thirsty.

Make My Abilities Average: A genius girl dies saving another child that's going to grow up and develop technology to travel to other stars. In return for saving her, the guardian reincarnates the protagonist on a stagnant world where magic is secretly caused by nanobots. The protagonist just wants a normal life after being ostracized due to her genius nature, so she asks to be completely average. The guardian excepts her request, but twists it. She has average abilities between everything that lives on the world (magic ability is half that of an ancient dragon, the strongest magic user, making her 6,800 times stronger than an average human, and the same goes for strength, speed and toughness). She still pretends like she's a normal girl, but she's really bad at it. I like the LN more than the manga, but the manga's still fun.
Bakarina: You'd think an isekai about a girl that loved romance games would be really thirsty, but no. She's just an idiot that gets reincarnated as her favorite game's antagonist, so she spends all her time using knowledge about the game to not wind up dead or exiled.
Black Healer: A college girl is pulled into a fantasy world and has the relatively rare ability to heal. She doesn't want to get pulled into being coerced into fighting wars or being a high level adventurer and just wants to go home, so she runs away from the country that summoned her. She's largely able to maintain her neutrality but still winds up entangled in things that are more serious than you'd expect.
Woof Woof Story: A man dies due to overwork, and gets reincarnated as a rich nobel's daughter's dog. He's a little big as a puppy but grows a lot faster than normal, and turns out to have been reincarnated as Fenrir when he really just wanted to be an ordinary, lazy dog.
Max Level Witch: Another office worker that dies to overwork and gets reincarnated. This time the protagonist asks for immortality so she can live a long and leisurely life. She kills slimes for 300 years and winds up max level and the world's strongest witch without realizing it. This one's kind of thirsty thanks to one particular character, but it's still charming.
Tondemo Skill: A man accidently gets summoned to another world with a group of heroes and winds up cast out on his own. He's really just a common civilian, but has the ability to use basically Amazon to order items, mostly food that gives buffs, to this fantasy world. It's silly (he contracts with Fenrir and a slime and winds up catching the attention of a goddess that loves treats) and fun.
Ascendance of a Bookworm: A bookworm who's just graduated from college and about to start her first job as a librarian dies, but gets reincarnated. Unfortunately she's reincarnated as a sickly little girl in a medieval world where books are rare and there's very little literacy, so she starts trying various things to fix that.
Sword Dad: This one's kind of iffy on being unusual (the guy in the sword is a bit thirsty, though thankfully not towards his wielder, and the other main character starts a slave), but I still like it quite a bit. A man is reincarnated as a magical sword, and before the manga starts has completely wiped the monsters of a region out, making him very powerful. The story isn't about him. It's about a young beast girl slave that picks him up and their journey to her getting strong enough to evolve.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Huh, I haven't read some of those.

I really wish isekai didn't usually translate to 'I'm a teenage boy with infinite power and a desire to have sex slaves.'

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's nothing innately bad about isekai, but the scum definitely rises to the top

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Don't sleep on Bakarina, by the way, it's extremely fun. The main character is an incredibly oblivious sweetheart, and it's pretty funny at times.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Onean posted:

Sword Dad: This one's kind of iffy on being unusual (the guy in the sword is a bit thirsty, though thankfully not towards his wielder, and the other main character starts a slave), but I still like it quite a bit. A man is reincarnated as a magical sword, and before the manga starts has completely wiped the monsters of a region out, making him very powerful. The story isn't about him. It's about a young beast girl slave that picks him up and their journey to her getting strong enough to evolve.

This one wins points for having the best treatment of slavery in an isekai story: the MC meets a slaver and immediately stabs him in the loving face.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I only read Isekai with female protagonists. This avoid the vast majority of the bad ones.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Don't sleep on Bakarina, by the way, it's extremely fun. The main character is an incredibly oblivious sweetheart, and it's pretty funny at times.

Bakarina is so good. It avoids most if not all the isekai bad tropes.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there's nothing innately bad about isekai, but the scum definitely rises to the top

I'll take the opposing stance that there is.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The best fantasy series running right now dont use it as a conceit.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Avulsion posted:

This one wins points for having the best treatment of slavery in an isekai story: the MC meets a slaver and immediately stabs him in the loving face.

It's pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

I'll take the opposing stance that there is.

whoa, that's a super harsh take on the lion, the witch and the wardrobe.