Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Every update is the new worst update. gently caress this fangame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Gridlocked posted:

It's ok to feel annoyed and confused at your red text fellow red texter.

My favorite red texts are the ones where it's pretty clear that the buyer lost the exchange. Yours is good, friend. :)

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

My favorite red texts are the ones where it's pretty clear that the buyer lost the exchange. Yours is good, friend. :)

Not if you post in the football sub forum it's not. Apparently there cheering for a country that isn't your own is BAD and I openly cheered for Germany despite being Australian.

This copped me a lot of flak when I commiserated about Aus getting knocked out so easily and then was annoyed when Germany got knocked out. So someone brought me this avatar to rub it in my face.

Also I said "Football Isn't Coming Home" which is bad cause apparently the entire sub-forum is England Fans and that makes me BAD.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, that's my point. I see your redtext and I think "the football sub is full of dweebs" rather than make any judgments about your person. I'm sorry you have a bad av, but it brings me joy on a personal level.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
My version of reborn would be Officer Jenny trying to work out what the hell is going on in Reborn. You start with a gun, a growlithe and a motorcycle. The game takes place during your work shifts.

You have a limited number of in game days to finish the game, and have to choose which incidents and tip offs you attend during your work shift (and which ones to push aside). What you do changes which events take place, and there'd be an incredibly difficult series of events that you'd need to accomplish to get the ultimate happy ending. If you fail at a pokemon battle, you can't retry it this play through. Because the game time is marching forward, you simply face the consequences of failure.

You can potentially save corey from the bridge, or that same night you can stop meteor from blowing a hole in the stairwell. If you do things right early in the game you can even stem the flow of explosives into reborn city, thereby allowing you to save corey and stop the stairwell being blown up.

The game runs a NG+ cycle where your pokemon from the previous play through carry into the new cycle. Eventually your pokemon are strong enough to face the brief battle you're supposed to fail at the start. That opens up the door toward the happier ending.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Or, in Reborn fashion, you shoot the opposing pokemon.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Azza Bamboo posted:

My version of reborn would be Officer Jenny trying to work out what the hell is going on in Reborn. You start with a gun, a growlithe and a motorcycle. The game takes place during your work shifts.

You have a limited number of in game days to finish the game, and have to choose which incidents and tip offs you attend during your work shift (and which ones to push aside). What you do changes which events take place, and there'd be an incredibly difficult series of events that you'd need to accomplish to get the ultimate happy ending. If you fail at a pokemon battle, you can't retry it this play through. Because the game time is marching forward, you simply face the consequences of failure.

You can potentially save corey from the bridge, or that same night you can stop meteor from blowing a hole in the stairwell. If you do things right early in the game you can even stem the flow of explosives into reborn city, thereby allowing you to save corey and stop the stairwell being blown up.

The game runs a NG+ cycle where your pokemon from the previous play through carry into the new cycle. Eventually your pokemon are strong enough to face the brief battle you're supposed to fail at the start. That opens up the door toward the happier ending.

So Pokemon: Majora's Mask version, right? Something like that could be interesting.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Now see that actually sounds like a cool way to make a grimdark style pokemon game.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

iospace posted:

There was a season of Digimon where the main character screamed a lot and punched a bunch of Digimon right in the loving face. They should do that for Pokemon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

nine-gear crow posted:

There was a season of Digimon where the main character screamed a lot and punched a bunch of Digimon right in the loving face. They should do that for Pokemon.

I can think of far worse ideas than following Digimon Savers' lead. That was one drat good show.

I can't imagine how you'd implement that in Pokemon though, since at least in Savers it had an actual need beyond Masaru's bloodthirst (couldn't evolve Agumon without punching a mon first).

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
You could do a darker variation on the shadow Pokemon thing where you have Pokemon directly attacking the human trainers, so trainers could be expected to have some basic self defense skills. Maybe you fight alongside your Pokemon, since humans definitely can't beat a Pokemon in a fight, but you might be able to give openings and support to a partner Pokemon.

I mean, that sounds kind of silly and bad, but maybe a fun silly and bad, rather than a dark edgy mess.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

A lot of people think Savers was terrible for exactly this reason. I'm not one of them, in fact I prefer the later three series to the first three because they have much better humans involved, but Savers is not regarded as having been improved by Masaru/Marcus taking fights into his own hands.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I don’t know about you guys but I am enjoying this game. I would never play it, but I’m getting some good laughs.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Epicmissingno posted:

So Pokemon: Majora's Mask version, right? Something like that could be interesting.

Should it be called Swinub Day?

Sounds like it could be an interesting idea for a game, depending on how you did it. I'd probably play that. Of course, it'd have to be quite different to how Reborn works now... seriously, can you imagine having to trudge through all of this appallingly awful text again and again on repeat playthroughs?

It's bad enough as it is! I assume OFS is cutting out most of the uninteresting battles, but even so, when you consider how many pokemon are distributed as event flags rather than in the wild in this game, it seems like the ratio of actual Pokemon content to appalling text slogs is quite low. If you were to strip out all of the cutscenes and arbitrary flags and bad writing, is there even a game left here?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Explopyro posted:

Should it be called Swinub Day?

Watchog Day.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

Watchog Day.

Watch_Ogs

RyuHimora fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 11, 2018

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

When they killed my sexy Gothitelle, it killed the joy in my life, all that's left is revenge.

*steals money from random people, including wifesister*

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Preorder to get Ash's Iconic Hat.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Gridlocked posted:

Also I said "Football Isn't Coming Home" which is bad cause apparently the entire sub-forum is England Fans and that makes me BAD.

They need this; the last notable thing England did was in 1966. If they don't win the chant's getting changed to "two world wars, one world cup, and a crippling economic and political kerfluffle, doo-dah, doo-dah."

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Epicmissingno posted:

I actually got the main idea from the Way of the Samurai games. Particularly 4.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

GirlCalledBob posted:

You could do a darker variation on the shadow Pokemon thing where you have Pokemon directly attacking the human trainers, so trainers could be expected to have some basic self defense skills. Maybe you fight alongside your Pokemon, since humans definitely can't beat a Pokemon in a fight, but you might be able to give openings and support to a partner Pokemon.

I mean, that sounds kind of silly and bad, but maybe a fun silly and bad, rather than a dark edgy mess.

Sorry to hear you think SMT sounds silly and bad.
I'd totally be up for a game where you pick your starter by punching it in the wild.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

iospace posted:

You're trying to arrest the trainers, not their pokemon. You can shoot the pokemon, but then you don't get to confiscate them and add them to your arsenal, and in this game you can't just walk around tall grass to get pokemon: confiscation and purchase are the only ways to acquire new pokemon. You can shoot the trainers and take their mons, but then you have to deal with the consequences of them being dead and you having shot them instead of having arrested them. You can't interrogate a dead man for the leads to the investigation.

Using the gun at all will lead to an ending where the big bad shoots either you or your signature growlithe. Also, some pokemon can take the bullet and will then attack you directly instead of your pokemon. Your HP will appear.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 11, 2018

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

In reborn fashion, you shoot EVERYONE. Even the children get shot.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Even the Harley Quinn Gothitelle.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Especially the gothitelle.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
I don't care much for grimdark, personally, though in this game it's actually amusing in how detestable it is.

If I wanted to write a darker pokemon story, I'd do a humans-are-the-aliens story, a few years after humans started settling the pokemon world. A world filled with powerful and aggressive creatures that love to fight, a planned ecosystem presided over by what are effectively gods who aren't entirely sure they like having their garden trampled on. Humans have advanced technology, but a limited industrial base, so they aren't helpless, as long as they're prepared. They have no contact with Earth, and no longer have the ability to leave the planet. In fact, as soon as they arrived in the area, their ship got shot down by one of the Jirachi, whose job is to live in orbit and prevent major meteor impacts.

The story begins with a young boy, one of the first born planetside. At some point, an accident leaves him alone outside his settlement, he encounters an injured wild pokemon, and ends up how-to-train-your-dragon-ing it. Prior to this, nobody knew that pokemon had social instincts that would allow one to be on friendly terms with them. But that's because you have to learn how to do it as a child, similarly to how children are better able to learn languages than adults. That's why trainers have to start out so young. So the young boy is able to make it back to civilization, picking up a few more friends along the way.

Fast forward a couple years. Things have gone bad. The process of become friends with pokemon properly takes too long, or it's seen as too dangerous, or not enough people can do it. The people in charge have instead favored trying to forcibly, abusively domesticate them. At the same time, not coincidentally, wild pokemon are becoming increasingly hostile, sometimes wiping out entire settlements. Eventually, it devolves into all-out war, leading to mass-scale destruction. Humans are driven out of the Johto region, while the Orre region is completely depopulated of pokemon. Becoming sick of the atrocities he has been complicit in, the main character strikes out on his own, trying to find out why this has happened. He eventually meets Uxie, Azelf, and Mesprit.

They communicate that though they recognize the humans' right to life (Begrudgingly in Azelf's case. It despises humans for what it sees as their lack of Valor) they will not allow their model of a competitive world to be taken over by one that forces order and safety. They recognize the main character for his compassion and skill, and ask if he's really okay with how things have gone. Either the main character refuses them, at which point the human army bursts in and he must fight the trio alongside them (And these may be relatively weak legendary pokemon, but they're still psychic beings who live on the geological time scale, so :psyboom::psyboom::psyboom::psyboom:) or he agrees with them and turns against the human army.

After that, he has to desperately try to find allies who will help him in his cause, assembling a group that would become the first Elite 4, with him as Champion. With their superior tactics, humans seem to be winning, but that will only last until the gods lose patience and utterly curbstomp them. Eventually the main character and his team overthrow the human government in their region with the superior strength of pokemon who want to fight alongside them, and as agreed humanity earns a reprieve. For now.

Boy, that was long and overly self-indulgent. Excuse me.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The Skeleton King posted:

In reborn fashion, you shoot EVERYONE. Even the children get shot.

That would be a mercy. In TRUE Reborn fashion, you would make them stay alive to suffer.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I mean there's that one Pokemon horror RPG Maker game where a detective investigates the disappearance of an entire town.

Also Apocalypse Johto is a decent webcomic spin on a Nuzlocke run with some horror moments. I'm sure I mentioned it in the last thread.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

I can think of far worse ideas than following Digimon Savers' lead. That was one drat good show.

I can't imagine how you'd implement that in Pokemon though, since at least in Savers it had an actual need beyond Masaru's bloodthirst (couldn't evolve Agumon without punching a mon first).

And Digimon actually did have a PS2 game based on Savers. It wasn't very good, but they did do right by Masaru because whenever Agumon evolved he actually would run in and punch an enemy and it actually did real damage.

And the series suggests that Masaru probably could have learned how to activate his Digisoul without punching a Digimon, he just never cared to learn. And to be fair it actually was a pretty effective weapon, Masaru won at least two major fights against giant digimon by punching them really hard.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Geemer posted:

Sorry to hear you think SMT sounds silly and bad.
I'd totally be up for a game where you pick your starter by punching it in the wild.

I mean I hate to break it to you my friend but SMT is definitely very silly. I love it, but it can be very, very silly.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

GirlCalledBob posted:

I mean I hate to break it to you my friend but SMT is definitely very silly. I love it, but it can be very, very silly.

It's not the silly part I've got a problem with. :sun:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I can't wait for in like, 4 years someone just copies and pastes the OP and the first couple updates of this as a new thread.

Then we can sic that red texted avy on someone who deserves it.... well someone who deserves it and didn't want it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Pokemon Reborn, featuring Dante from Devil May Cry

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Pokemon Reborn, featuring Dante from Devil May Cry
It worked for SMT 3, didn't it?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:thejoke:

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Bruceski posted:

They need this; the last notable thing England did was in 1966. If they don't win the chant's getting changed to "two world wars, one world cup, and a crippling economic and political kerfluffle, doo-dah, doo-dah."

I've got some bad news for you, then.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

- Officer Jenny's response to being asked to star in Pokemon Reborn.

(great art!)

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

One of the ideas I've seen bounced around a lot for a "darker" take on pokemon is the player as a team rocket grunt using mercenary pokemon to do pokecrimes. No need to force something to be edgy when there's already some easy examples of bad guys in the show and games to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Brainamp posted:

One of the ideas I've seen bounced around a lot for a "darker" take on pokemon is the player as a team rocket grunt using mercenary pokemon to do pokecrimes. No need to force something to be edgy when there's already some easy examples of bad guys in the show and games to use.

I'd be down with this if and only if you frequently cross dress as a disguise.