Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

Hots has never been a priority game. Outside of Diablo 3 to a degree, I don't think I have ever seen Blizzard give so little of a poo poo about one of their games before.

They've been hotfixing most issues inside a day for a while now, dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

The other option is they are looking but don't know how to fix it yet.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Gobbeldygook posted:

edit: QM and brawl are the only PVP formats available until player level 80, so for the past two days a bunch of new players have been firing up HotS for the first time and dealing with this. How can something that affects the new player experience not be a priority fix?

To be fair, people playing hots for the first time ever aren't going to know the entire cast, will be limited to a smaller handful of heroes, and will (maybe) play with people around their skill range, so the mismatch probably isn't as immediately obvious.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Gobbeldygook posted:

edit: QM and brawl are the only PVP formats available until player level 80, so for the past two days a bunch of new players have been firing up HotS for the first time and dealing with this. How can something that affects the new player experience not be a priority fix?

The problem is probably more complicated than you think.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Primetime posted:

To be fair, people playing hots for the first time ever aren't going to know the entire cast, will be limited to a smaller handful of heroes, and will (maybe) play with people around their skill range, so the mismatch probably isn't as immediately obvious.

This a bunch, even assuming people are jumping straight into QM. This is my first (and only) MOBA, I spent a couple days in co-op before starting QM

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
GAME DEAD BLIZ RUINED BY ACTIVI$ION

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Like 90 of my last 100 games were as chromie

hate me

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Man, the Azmo rework feels like it should be cool. Lots of neat new talents and the questions changing globe in different ways is interesting in theory. The execution is a loving wet fart. Too slow, too little damage and awful ults. Wrath/Bombardment can feel really good in a teamfight if you have enough peel and they don't kick the poo poo out of you but that's a real edge case.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I like the laser changes on Azmo. I'm pretty mad they took my dunking power and made it.. Harder to dunk on fools from long range.

On the fence about the demons. I like that they come burning right out the locker room though.

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

Jimmy bans spotted in 2018. God bless.

HitTheTargets posted:

I'm half-tempted to start an "Armchair Blizz Developer" thread because I've got so many half-baked ideas for new heroes. Maybe I should follow your lead and stick 'em on a google doc so people here don't have to see it if they don't want to.

Did this ever get made? Because the Thalyssra concept I made did fairly well on Reddit and I’ve done a couple more since.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
New Jim Bon Jovi feels real good.I took them both a couple times now, but I don't think his stacking quests are worth it. Usually by the end of the game I had around +60% damage on pepper and like 500 extra health, which is cool, but I really like the 25 armor on A.Rush

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

hawowanlawow posted:

Like 90 of my last 100 games were as chromie

hate me

i hope every time you listen to the radio its the same 3 songs, and not even the ones you like

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dire Human posted:

Did this ever get made? Because the Thalyssra concept I made did fairly well on Reddit and I’ve done a couple more since.

Is his trait dying permanently before the game starts

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Mister No posted:

New Jim Bon Jovi feels real good.I took them both a couple times now, but I don't think his stacking quests are worth it. Usually by the end of the game I had around +60% damage on pepper and like 500 extra health, which is cool, but I really like the 25 armor on A.Rush

Yeah I like the stacking level 1, but the 25 armor on Adrenaline Rush is pretty good.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Both level 1 and 4 quests are garbage right now and need better scaling. Ace in the Hole also needs a nerf.
Behemoth is meant to be good vs burst, but it's weaker vs heavy burst than the HP mitigation the 25 armor over 4 seconds Fight or Flight can provide, and the cooldown reduction is pretty good too. Sustaining rounds is, well, sustain for tougher matchups.
As for the level 1, even a lone Raynor without any kind of setup from his teammates will deal more damage with Ace in the Hole than with his quest throughout the game since it increases ALL sources of damage, including his Q and his Banshee. +.75% per stack can't begin to compete with that.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah Ace in the Hole is strictly better if you're trying to win the game. Stacking quest is good for hearing a little ding every few seconds.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
Legit QM matchmaking is the worst it’s ever been right now, have seen 2x support vs no support a few times and a lot of weirdness with super low level people in my games (thank you Blizz for putting a level 20 (not a duo) in my (top 1% in QM per hotslogs and master ranked player) game). Honestly the skill and comp discrepancies are really terrible right now.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

While the QM issue is definitely real, you can play Unranked Draft before level 80 I'm pretty certain. I've had sub-20s in those matches on occasion. Doesn't make the QM problem less an issue, but it is there.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Yeah QM is nearly unplayable now (I think even the matchmaking restrictions that have been in the game for years are off as well, matchups are insanely busted right now) and it's weird that not only have they not hotfixxed it, but that they have only said they are investigating it

On the Raynor front, I've heard from a number of streamers that Paint Em Red is actually the most important part of Raynor being OP (combined with Ace in the Hole and Debilitating Rounds obviously). Considering I've mostly been taking Bounty Hunter at that tier, I'll have to start trying that out

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

For the record, with the way the math works out, you need 90 stacks on Veteran marksman to equal the damage boost you'd get from Ace in the Hole, and obviously the Veteran Marksman stacks only apply to the pepper shot, whereas Ace in the Hole applies to everything that's stunned/slowed, and you get unstable compound at 7 which basically lets you apply a slow yourself.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

bamhand posted:

Yeah Ace in the Hole is strictly better if you're trying to win the game. Stacking quest is good for hearing a little ding every few seconds.

Yukari posted:

For the record, with the way the math works out, you need 90 stacks on Veteran marksman to equal the damage boost you'd get from Ace in the Hole, and obviously the Veteran Marksman stacks only apply to the pepper shot, whereas Ace in the Hole applies to everything that's stunned/slowed, and you get unstable compound at 7 which basically lets you apply a slow yourself.

Math you say?? https://tempostorm.com/articles/math-of-the-storm-raynor-rework-patch-350

Yeah what everyone said is backed up by the math, including:

Midnightghoul posted:

On the Raynor front, I've heard from a number of streamers that Paint Em Red is actually the most important part of Raynor being OP (combined with Ace in the Hole and Debilitating Rounds obviously). Considering I've mostly been taking Bounty Hunter at that tier, I'll have to start trying that out

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Paint them red is like raynor's version of shadow mending. Gain back 75% of damage done by the base penetrating shot (with bonus damage too). Extremely stupid talent.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I feel like Heavy Slugs should have the damage bonus from Paint Them Red and the healing should be its own talent. Right now it's just too valuable.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Midnightghoul posted:

Yeah QM is nearly unplayable now (I think even the matchmaking restrictions that have been in the game for years are off as well, matchups are insanely busted right now) and it's weird that not only have they not hotfixxed it, but that they have only said they are investigating it

QM is unplayable unless you pick a hero that is one or more of:
1) durable
2) has self sustain
3) can shield or heal allies

The cardinal rule of MOBAs is this: if you're not the scrub*, then there are 4 chances for you to get the worst player on your team and 5 chances for your opposing team to get them. Play enough games and you will rise to your ~true rank~

Seems like the same should be true for "random team comp" -- if you pick a hero that would round out a team well (i.e. pick a tank or a healer) then most times your team will have the better comp.

Bottom line: slam-jam Yrel right now. She's fun and if your opponent doesn't have a tank your team will have a huge advantage. If neither team has a healer you'll have a big advantage.

* you're always the scrub

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
i mean if you just want free wins in qm you'd just queue chogall + ana. Most people still want to play something resembling a fair game to maybe learn something from.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

BrianBoitano posted:

QM is unplayable unless you pick a hero that is one or more of:
1) durable
2) has self sustain
3) can shield or heal allies

The cardinal rule of MOBAs is this: if you're not the scrub*, then there are 4 chances for you to get the worst player on your team and 5 chances for your opposing team to get them. Play enough games and you will rise to your ~true rank~

Seems like the same should be true for "random team comp" -- if you pick a hero that would round out a team well (i.e. pick a tank or a healer) then most times your team will have the better comp.

Bottom line: slam-jam Yrel right now. She's fun and if your opponent doesn't have a tank your team will have a huge advantage. If neither team has a healer you'll have a big advantage.

* you're always the scrub

Kala talked about this a little last night, yeah. It may not be true in 5 or 10 or 30 games, but if you play 200 and you play consistently, matchmaking will even out (good players with you as much as against you, etc.) and you'll find something at least close to your correct rank.

It's a little harder with QM because of the disasters that are the comps right now, but over the long term it will even out. Play a healer and you're way more likely to be on the team with two supports (instead of none), which should make winning more likely over time.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
If you aren’t banning Raynor as your first pick you are doing it wrong.

Jimmy gets the ice cause nobody needs that much pepper.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I dunno I was on a double support team twice and lost both times vs no heals because we had no damage. Though to be fair, one of those games had the most brain dead Kharazims I have ever seen. The other one could have easily been my fault because it was my first Raynor game in months and I had no idea what I was doing.

Also I think it is kind of a waste of time and energy to try to rationalize playing with the broken QM matchmaking. It's broken. Nothing wrong with enjoying playing something that is bad and broken, but let's not pretend that it's a normal thing and that people should just adjust to it. I'm just salty because I opened 2 days of stims from boxes right when QM breaks and it was broken for the entire duration of my stims.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
You can always treat UD like qm and just pick whoever you want, just mute your team. You'll still have a better comp than qm.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
Yeah QM MM is hosed right now even by Blizzards own terms (comps are not being "mirrored" as is intended). Maybe it's still fun sometimes but anecdotally match quality seems quite low to me.

Double support is not in a good spot right now so having 2x healers feels pretty bad if the other team creates any macro pressure.

Not a great era for QM.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Everytime Jimmy gets a buff it breaks the game

I wouldn't be surprised if the entire game is run through James Raynor's hero code somehow

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Everything is coded as a Jimmy.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010

lucifirius posted:

Everything is coded as a Jimmy.

*camera pans up to reveal Hyperion is actually a giant majestic Jimmy floating prone over the battlefield and firing Jimmy cannons which in turn shoot tiny Jimmy shaped bullets, camera pans out and the battlefield is nestled in the scalp of a giant Jimmy*

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
*sweeps hands across landscape* “this.... is jimmy”

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
"One day Jimmy, all this pepper will be yours."

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

fool_of_sound posted:

Honestly Silver, and to a lesser extend Gold play isn't much about the characters. The team with better mechanics and macro wins. I'd almost always much rather a teammate play someone they've mastered than a meta pick they have at 5.

I have almost all characters at 5, and a handful at 8-10 tops. I haven't placed in ranked but hotslogs puts me at diamond QM. I think there is some weird hidden rank fuckery because I seriously get team leader/bans upwards of 19/20 matches in UD.

Picking one character and grinding them forever makes no sense to me. I did the same in dota, hon, and dota2. It helps you better know your enemy, and flexibity matters a lot if you aren't queuing as a 5 man premade every single time.

In any team based game with random teamates flexing makes a world of difference. I can't imagine playing CS:GO and only using one or two weapons the whole time. You need to adapt on the fly, and be able to identify your enemy's power and reach in detail.

Know yourself, but also know your enemy.

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 12, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Surprise it's both

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Dire Human posted:

Be the change you want to see in the world.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I don't mean one dude. I mean that each person should have like 8-12 characters of various roles that they know inside and out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

fool_of_sound posted:

I don't mean one dude. I mean that each person should have like 8-12 characters of various roles that they know inside and out.

Ok so we are on the same page but also completely wishful thinking about our teammates. :qq: