Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Groovelord Neato posted:

hybrids in everquest were 2/3 warrior and 1/3 the respective caster (paladin 1/3 cleric, shadow knight 1/3 necro, ranger 1/3 druid). the problem was rangers were more like 1/3 warrior 1/3 druid 1/3 poo poo.

don't get why they didn't just make them archers with some druid spells - if i was a guy who liked playing rangers that's what i'd want to do. especially for a game that revolved around grouping. i think arrows only crit on non-rooted stationary targets too which is insane.

Ranger always seems like more of a rogue hybrid than a warrior, with the lower HP than other hybrids and chain armor and whatnot. It's just that what ranger gave up compared to rogue (hide+sneak, backstab) was way way better than what they got for it in exchange (low level bullshit druid spells and not even the good ones). They don't even get spirit of the wolf until what, mid-30s? To top that off, before Velious they ate poo poo on that hybrid xp penalty. They had warrior taunt but a glass jaw to go along with it.

Granted rogues had their own terrible mechanics to deal with (see poison making and how few people actually engage with it in any meaningful manner) but at least they excelled at putting pointy objects in squishy things with even minimal investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, he’s also the guy that made a lengthy blogpost about how his guild missed a world first EQ raid boss kill because he accidentally sliced his sack open shaving in the shower.

Also made a lengthy blog post about a eq boss that was bugged to be unkillable but the devs wouldn't admit it. This was also later done in the same tone by another player in wow for cthun.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DeathSandwich posted:

Ranger always seems like more of a rogue hybrid than a warrior, with the lower HP than other hybrids and chain armor and whatnot. It's just that what ranger gave up compared to rogue (hide+sneak, backstab) was way way better than what they got for it in exchange (low level bullshit druid spells and not even the good ones). They don't even get spirit of the wolf until what, mid-30s? To top that off, before Velious they ate poo poo on that hybrid xp penalty. They had warrior taunt but a glass jaw to go along with it.

Granted rogues had their own terrible mechanics to deal with (see poison making and how few people actually engage with it in any meaningful manner) but at least they excelled at putting pointy objects in squishy things with even minimal investment.

yeah you're right. it's just weird they hosed it up so bad. it wouldn't have been hard to make em bow and arrow guys.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah you're right. it's just weird they hosed it up so bad. it wouldn't have been hard to make em bow and arrow guys.

Wasn’t part of the reason rangers sucked because the early EQ code was so poo poo the game would miss a LOT of arrow hits? I remember if a mob was touching a wall, then very often the game would register a miss.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Just having gone from Vanilla to PoP on the last Progression Server in EQ I have to disagree with rangers being bad.
Actually in Classic and Kunark they are, in my opinion, the best tank a 6man party can with for, as long as the ranger has level adequate gear.
Their aggro generation cannot be beaten (snare, flame lick) and especially on slowed mobs there is no group content they cannot tank.

Velious is maybe the weakest expansion for rangers, where some of the mini bosses hit too hard to be confortable.

Starting with Luclin rangers turn into ranged dps, but with a correct investment of AA their mellee damage and tank remains adequate.
With PoTime weapons their melee dps one again is nothing to laugh at either.

True, in 1999 the hybrid exp penalty hurt them, but such is penalty has been removed and no game dev will ever put something like it back in.
Hybrid tanks are heavily saught after in groups, and make amazing offtanks in raids due to imroved snap aggro generation.
Warriors remain the best Boss tanks, but that is only because of Defensive stance.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Just because the content is era specific doesn’t mean the classes are. EQ TLE servers still run on modern architecture with years of bug fixes, buffs and QOL improvements. Like in ‘99 a ranger wouldn’t start receiving spells until level 9 and wouldn’t have enough to fill all 8 gems until mid 20s. Not to mention a skill caps well below what they currently are. I think at the time rangers dual wield capped at 100 at level 50.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Just because the content is era specific doesn’t mean the classes are. EQ TLE servers still run on modern architecture with years of bug fixes, buffs and QOL improvements. Like in ‘99 a ranger wouldn’t start receiving spells until level 9 and wouldn’t have enough to fill all 8 gems until mid 20s. Not to mention a skill caps well below what they currently are. I think at the time rangers dual wield capped at 100 at level 50.

No, IIRC they actually got dual wield up to 200 skill. They had a lower cap on double attack (iirc it was 175, which was still pretty respectable) but they didn't get the big damage backstabs/flying kicks like rogues/monks nor the beefy crits/crippling blows like warriors. Their spell damage options were roundly pretty terrible by the level you got it and yeah flame lick + snare did ok for aggro, but you know what worked better? Pal stuns and SK disease cloud and those were attached to classes that didn't have glass jaws. The only thing Rangers had that could make the other tanks/pullers truly envious was harmony, which druids had access to as well and was also really more useful when tandem pulling with a monk or SK.

I think the only dual wielder that capped out at a dual wield skill below 150 was Bard, and theirs only went to like 75-100. Monk DW caps went up to like 225, I think warrior/Rogue went to 210, Ranger 200. Double attack was like 220 Warrior, 215-210 for monk/rogue, 200 for SK/Pal, and 175 for ranger.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I’m glad Pantheon is a real game that will come out and I will play it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it won't exist but it'd be nice if it did it'd be cool to relive those eq days without a server full of everyone with a dozen level 60 characters.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ad by Khad posted:

I don't agree. Eve Online for years has hired people based on their reddit posts. Ocean Quigley got to be the head of an entire Simcity project because he was some random artist that had been with the company forever. Lots of developers who worked on that abysmal tire fire Wildstar were rewarded by being picked up by Blizzard.

Even on topic in this very thread, Pantheon is taking volunteers. You could experience a rewarding career change right now.

This is funny because Wildstar was started by ex-Blizzard employees.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

I said come in! posted:

It's like the NFL when assistant coaches go for a head coach job, flame out horribly and get picked up as an assistant coach again by their original team!

Not sure why I thought of that analogy; I don't even watch football anymore.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Ad by Khad posted:

I don't agree. Eve Online for years has hired people based on their reddit posts. Ocean Quigley got to be the head of an entire Simcity project because he was some random artist that had been with the company forever. Lots of developers who worked on that abysmal tire fire Wildstar were rewarded by being picked up by Blizzard.

Even on topic in this very thread, Pantheon is taking volunteers. You could experience a rewarding career change right now.

Honestly, I kinda want to see how far I can get just by bluffing

Like one day I emerge from a fever dream and I'm lead quest designer and I have no memory of the past six months and I have 37 missed calls

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

I said come in! posted:

Wildstar and Firefall are both good examples of how many former Blizzard employees no longer work for Blizzard for a reason.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Healing class descriptions are up

https://pantheonmmo.com/classes/cleric/

https://pantheonmmo.com/classes/druid/

https://pantheonmmo.com/classes/shaman/

It's really nice to see how much variety they have planned for these classes. All of the healing works differently and even plays off of each other.

Man, I love the class designs in theory so far. I hope they get this dumb game working.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
sounds cool. Shaman seems very EQ-esque, except they moved the wolf pet to Druid in the form of a fox. I don't see any teleport spells for the Druid - wonder if the Wizard will have them, or if they're abandoning ports for some other mechanic for getting around the world?

Cleric looks like it's evolved slightly from "sit on your rear end and heal every so often", but I'm not sure by how much.

edit: INT casters when?!

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

cmdrk posted:

Whenever bloodmages are in.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

cmdrk posted:

sounds cool. Shaman seems very EQ-esque, except they moved the wolf pet to Druid in the form of a fox. I don't see any teleport spells for the Druid - wonder if the Wizard will have them, or if they're abandoning ports for some other mechanic for getting around the world?

Cleric looks like it's evolved slightly from "sit on your rear end and heal every so often", but I'm not sure by how much.

No, shammy still has wolf pet. They have not mentioned about porting as of yet, looks like it is still being worked on.

INT casters writeup/reveal most likely next month, 2nd Wednesday.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake

Stanley Pain posted:

Whenever bloodmages are in.

We can only wish for the best MMORPG support class to be added one day.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I wouldn't mind if he blatantly copy/pasted the blood mage and disciple, those were really fun and unique classes.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Node posted:

I wouldn't mind if he blatantly copy/pasted the blood mage and disciple, those were really fun and unique classes.

I agree. I miss my blood mage, and this would probably be the only thing that would ever get me to actually give this concept of a game a chance.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Bahanahab posted:

I agree. I miss my blood mage, and this would probably be the only thing that would ever get me to actually give this concept of a game a chance.

what about the feeling of camaraderie and bonding with your group mates that can only be found in the pain and suffering of endlessly grinding dungeons??

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ehud posted:

what about the feeling of camaraderie and bonding with your group mates that can only be found in the pain and suffering of endlessly grinding dungeons??

Left where it belongs, in the past and occasionally on private servers for those with specific brain worms.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Node posted:

Im still not clear why some other game hasnt done exactly this. And defense/offensive targets too.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

CoffeeBooze posted:

Im still not clear why some other game hasnt done exactly this. And defense/offensive targets too.

Most games are going away from having tab targeting so I imagine that is why no one has copied that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

also most games just go for generic classes. say what you will about pill popper brad mcquaid, he doesn't disappoint on the class design front.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I want a game with unique classes, slower combat that is still interesting, content that I can complete within chunks of 3-4 hours at a time, unique equipment and skills and spell that feels special to obtain.

Also a game that is actually released that I get to play without paying $1000 USD for early access

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Ehud posted:

I want a game with unique classes, slower combat that is still interesting, content that I can complete within chunks of 3-4 hours at a time, unique equipment and skills and spell that feels special to obtain.

Also a game that is actually released that I get to play without paying $1000 USD for early access

You can only have one of these things, choose wisely, maybe 2 if you give $500.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ehud posted:

All of the MMORPGs like this are bad.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I said come in! posted:

All of the MMORPGs like this are bad.

please post which MMORPGs are like this so I can immediately go play them.

Edit: I should add that I want soloing to be very difficult and I prefer to rely on grouping

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Ehud posted:

Edit: I should add that I want soloing to be very difficult and I prefer to rely on grouping

Shroud of the Avatar! Come play, gamer!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Node posted:

Shroud of the Avatar! Come play, gamer!

lol that game doesn’t fit the description, silly billy

God I’ve never laughed so hard in an mmorpg as when I played that game.

Ehud fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 21, 2018

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Ehud posted:

Lv75 capped ffxi private server.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
I dont think anybody is gonna play this besides a few Project 1999 neckbeards, 10 goons from this thread, and some Cohhcarnage viewers. I dont even think the progression server live EQ crowd would like this, used as they are to buying and selling kronos, instancing, cash shop cosmetics, exp pots and godawful modernisations of the poor EQ we once remembered. If they get 10k subs at launch Ill be shocked.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Athropos posted:

I dont think anybody is gonna play this besides a few Project 1999 neckbeards, 10 goons from this thread, and some Cohhcarnage viewers. I dont even think the progression server live EQ crowd would like this, used as they are to buying and selling kronos, instancing, cash shop cosmetics, exp pots and godawful modernisations of the poor EQ we once remembered. If they get 10k subs at launch Ill be shocked.

i agree that we should celebrate the tight knit community

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I want to believe in magic, but the truth is people have forgotten why we moved away from slow as molasses, team-based leveling. This will remind them.

>10k at launch, <1k after a couple months.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I actually know a few people in real life who are super excited to play this. Theyve been playing EQ for two decades now and plan to jump ship once it releases. Im curious how long they will actually stick with Pantheon though because they are super, super invested in EQ at this point and I really dont think they can actually give it up. My prediction is that theyll give Pantheon a try, find that its not different enough to justify fracturing the communities theyve been a part of for decades and abandoning their multiple EQ accounts over and go back to EQ. They will then continue to play EQ until the servers close or they die.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

Ehud posted:

i agree that we should celebrate the tight knit community

The tight knit community that despite their incredibly similar niche tastes generally still acts like a bunch of chuds arguing with each other in city chat or ignoring each other save for the 8 people on at a time in their guild.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
I'm kinda looking forward to it but only because I miss CC classes:\ I'll probably hate it.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm gonna buy this game and play a Shaman for two months just like I did that other game that was just like this and had a cool bard system and a big open world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it blows my mind anyone would play current eq over project 1999 (if you were someone who wanted to play eq that is).