Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
ROY-AL-ISTS! ROY-AL-ISTS!

although i think we should pull a freedom fries and change the name to sultanists :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

crimea posted:

Plus we did all that work during the conference to get France to like us! Are the Majlis really so stupid as to throw that away at the drop of a hat?

All that hard work earned us nothing but them snubbing us at the conference and then this war they dragged us into. And then they forced us to abandon our ally at their darkest hour.

We shall deny them Africa for their transgressions against us.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

All that hard work earned us nothing but them snubbing us at the conference and then this war they dragged us into. And then they forced us to abandon our ally at their darkest hour.

We shall deny them Africa for their transgressions against us.

That hard work also keeps the world's number one superpower that we share a border with from murdering us. AND lets us drag THEM into wars!

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Hashim posted:

But duels were never outlawed to begin with :confused:

And medicine just gave us sharper scissors.

We better not change either of these ever, especially since Castration Duels are currently all the rage.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
I guess go Royalist this time, with the goal of reuniting Iberia and booting Morocco off the peninsula. Was debating between them and imperialists, but it seems like we're not quite ready economy-wise to go full imperialist.

We actually did better against Morocco than I thought. With a bit more military build-up, we might be able to achieve our goal or reunification.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Rodyle posted:

AND lets us drag THEM into wars!

You and I both know they'll ignore the call to arms.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

You and I both know they'll ignore the call to arms.

Possibly, but there's no reason to jettison them until they do, and again, "keeps the world's number one superpower that we share a border with from murdering us."

Like let's not forget, once upon a time the number one threat to us was French hordes pouring over the Pyrenees, and that was when they were comparatively weaker and we stronger than we are now.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
Where we’re going Mahdi, we don’t need railroads.

Imperialists

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Sticking with France for now is probably the best idea. Besides, we can always "accidentally" screw them over later. The SGF might make a fine choice for ally later, but at the moment is just not in a great position for globe-trotting hellwar.

I think I'm going with the Royalists on this one, while the idea of screwing France over by blocking their colonisation targets sounds like a lot of fun, I'm very worried about LF.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

"Combined therapy" is just castration with surgical tools in the oubliette, isn't it....

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
gently caress this nonsense, going with Royalists.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Royalists.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Imperialists! We need a colony so the new royal line has somewhere to flee to when the revolution hits.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Imperialists. We can beat Morocco on land, but we want more than that. We want their colonies.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Royalists as long as the map of Iberia requires more than one colour, I will be eternally upset during my painting sessions.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Morrow posted:

Imperialists. We can beat Morocco on land, but we want more than that. We want their colonies.

we want those things that are constantly rebelling, serving as one of Morocco's main weaknesses and money sinks?

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Frionnel posted:

Voting right now seems to be at:

25 for the Royalists
31 for the Imperialists
3 for the Moderates
And one very optimistic vote for the "Socalists"

You guys will regret abandoning centralism! :argh:

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON TRAIN FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

Kaptain
Oct 5, 2014
Imperialists

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
It is funny to see voting swings as a microcosm of life

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Clayren posted:

I do quite like the idea of a moderate party overseeing 20 years of peaceful expansion and wealth but then immediately eating poo poo because it oversaw a victory over the main national rival but didn't gain as much as people wanted. It's the sort of thing historians will look back at and be like "actually the moderates were good and here's why: ... ". So Royalists, is what I'm saying. The fact that Al Andalus is ruled by a dynasty founded by a war hero and now has another war hero general means that people are probably really pro-military at the moment.

The game actually models this in a way, there's a stat called jingoism which does various things relating to militancy and makes it cheaper to add war demands during an existing war. You gain jingoism by having unfulfilled war goals or by having unclaimed cores so we probably have quite a bit floating around at the moment.

We just beat our biggest rival on land purely because they were way behind on tech, instead of making sure that we don't lose this extremely critical edge we're going to build lots of boats so we can go invade dumbfuckistan instead.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
So I never played Victoria and have little idea about how the economy works with the different populations, taxes, economic policies, etc. Just how bad is LF this early in the game? Is it a minor inconvenience like 20% less tax revenue or is it actually going to cripple our budding industrial revolution?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

You guys are going to undo all our hard work by having LF ruin everything and when that happens I will be supremely unhappy :argh:

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

Royalists. Let's bloody Morocco some more.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Seriously we need army tech to colonize anyway, and Laissez-fairre will destroy the economy we built.

The Royalists are the best way forward until we reclaim Iberia.

Once we do that then we can focus on your stupid boats.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Snipee posted:

So I never played Victoria and have little idea about how the economy works with the different populations, taxes, economic policies, etc. Just how bad is LF this early in the game? Is it a minor inconvenience like 20% less tax revenue or is it actually going to cripple our budding industrial revolution?

So what Laissez Faire does is
A. Sets the cost for Capitalists (as in, the capitalist pops in our country) to open/expand a factory on their own to 1/4 of the current cost we have with our current policy of State Capitalism
B. Disables the government's ability to open new factories and expand existing ones
C. Disables state subsidies for factories (as in, the cost of salaries and input goods coming out of the state budget)

B is bad because the AI is horrible at figuring out what factories are profitable and will never expand industry as much as a reasonably competent player will.

C is bad because the invisible hand of the free market makes the prices of input goods fluctuate wildly, and most factories are just straight up not profitable if they aren't being subsidized by the government. A factory that can't make ends meet gets closed, which means most of the factories we've spent so long building would probably get shut down, causing massive unemployment among craftsmen and leaving us unable to do anything about it.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

And then those craftsmen become rebels who then revolt and kill our soldier pops that we should be throwing at Morocco :argh:

Or even worse our soldier Pops turn into rebels and kill other Soldiers while also ruining your perfect army composition.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Don't forget that Laissez Faire also caps our tax slider to 50% max, so we can't even emergency tax our unemployed population when we inevitably start bleeding money.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

In conclusion LF sucks and any party that includes sucks by default as well.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Pakled posted:

So what Laissez Faire does is
A. Sets the cost for Capitalists (as in, the capitalist pops in our country) to open/expand a factory on their own to 1/4 of the current cost we have with our current policy of State Capitalism
B. Disables the government's ability to open new factories and expand existing ones
C. Disables state subsidies for factories (as in, the cost of salaries and input goods coming out of the state budget)

B is bad because the AI is horrible at figuring out what factories are profitable and will never expand industry as much as a reasonably competent player will.

C is bad because the invisible hand of the free market makes the prices of input goods fluctuate wildly, and most factories are just straight up not profitable if they aren't being subsidized by the government. A factory that can't make ends meet gets closed, which means most of the factories we've spent so long building would probably get shut down, causing massive unemployment among craftsmen and leaving us unable to do anything about it.

Wait, so why would anyone ever choose this policy? Is it viable when you have a big enough capitalist population? Is it ever advantageous?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Snipee posted:

Wait, so why would anyone ever choose this policy? Is it viable when you have a big enough capitalist population? Is it ever advantageous?

It's sort of vaguely ok when you're a hegemon and have a strong industrial base, but no it's basicallly never the sensible choice. And it's fatal under many circumstances, which we may sadly be about to find out.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Snipee posted:

It kinda works if you're already on the top of the mountain in economy and prestige, so basically if you're Britain in vanilla or Dual Monarchy in this here game.

Also voting Royalists because we're not on the top of the mountain and if we're going to go for a dumb option we could at least go for the less dumb one.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Snipee posted:

It's never advantageous. Theoretically, I think a highly-developed country with very rich capitalists is supposed to be able to weather the storm of all the factory closings through sheer numbers with capitalists opening factories super fast, but I've never seen capitalists under Laissez Faire expand industry as fast as a player does under State Capitalism. A highly developed country will be okay, but it's still sub-optimal compared to the player having more control of the economy.

If you aren't roleplaying or otherwise intentionally handicapping yourself, you should avoid Laissez Faire like the plague.

The funny thing is, Vicky 2's economy system was created by a hardcore libertarian, but his actual ideology ends up being the worst possible one for economic development :v:

Also, the Interventionism policy of the Royalists means the player can't open new factories, but can expand and subsidize existing ones. So, not optimal for early economic development, but if you've got a good base of factories set up already, it's fine, and the subsidies mean you don't get the failure cascade Laissez Faire causes.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 12, 2018

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

laissez fair also gives a 5% bonus to factory output, so if you're leading with a ton of capitalists it can help you maintain that lead

in basically every other situation (read, us right now) it ranges from "terrible" to "viable if you understand pop ai better than the games actual devs"

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
See that map? See how Iberia and Al-Andalus still aren't coterminous? Royalists will get poo poo done. And stay on good terms with perfidious Albion-Gallia.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Royalists

it's coming home it's coming home
Palermo's coming home

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

L-F is only really disastrous later in the game when you have a really large industrial base, as-is it might hurt us a bit but the benefit of getting commerce + naval techs should outweigh that.

But by all means, let's go reactionary and eventually get ruined by rebels instead.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Changing my vote from Imperialists to Royalists.

gently caress FRANCE FOREVER Their little shitshow got us the Moroccans even further onto the peninsula.

No more kissing their rear end; we betray them at their weakest. Imperialists

EDIT: Vote changed to Royalists

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 12, 2018

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Voting in a reactionary government can very well result in us backtracking social and political reforms and antagonizing rebels, which seems a bad idea as well. I'm voting less on an idea of what is optimal though and more what I think would result in more interesting play and priorities, because like with Palermo, the Sepoys, and soon the Scramble for Africa, I feel Al-Andalus will never be interesting as a continental power, and we'll only really be able to punch above our weight if we go for opportunities abroad.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
So L-F is horrible, and Reactionaries will agitate our why-can't-you-just-be-soldiers populace. All I hear is that we have three options where only one is actually viable, except that the warhawks are so pleased with themselves that they think introducing the Third Taifa period will be worth it if we can just get our clay back. Not to mention more clay in several other locations.

In short, if you don't want to ruin our country AGAIN you ought to vote Moderate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutter
Feb 16, 2011

It's been giving me nightmares.
Imperialists