Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Imagine if football didn't exist would it cure domestic violence forever, or would the perpetrators instead get mad at other things and still punch a woman?

I'm the guy that thinks the latter. It's like that loving stupid trashed ambulance story, public property gets owned every loving weekend because we're an angry disenfranchised bunch of cunts that lash out especially when drunk, but it only gets coverage when it fits a narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Or in short:

African AIDS cum posted:

Whats wrong with the brains of people like you

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Literally millions, possibly even billions of fans around the world, often uniting otherwise divided people : hurr gently caress the entire sport because I am incapable of understanding anything deeper than an imgur meme

gently caress you arse hole

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Perhaps less gently caress football and gently caress the aspect of the culture that causes a rise in these issues. Still really sad statistics.in general though.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Gridlocked posted:

Perhaps less gently caress football and gently caress the aspect of the culture that causes a rise in these issues. Still really sad statistics.in general though.

You could look at any culture with a completely different national sport though and get the same sort of stats for that sport. Some people are loving cunts that react badly to things that matter less than they think they do because they're ignorant, poorly educated and angry at the world. It''s not because the sport exists, it's because some oval office chose to pin their emotional flag to that particular mast and react incredibly poorly when the mast burns down. Cunts behave like cunts when something happens they don't like and then take it out on someone they feel at least a symbolic power over. There's plenty of gamblers that do the same poo poo after a bad loss at the table. It's oval office reacts badly to thing oval office doesn't like, the thing is loving irrelevant and a cheap point score for sad sacks that want to feel better about themselves because their own poo poo is a mess but they're not alpha enough to go punch someone.

There's not a single well adjusted person that genuinely thinks along those lines. It's like blaming art because Hitler couldn't draw properly so killed a bunch of Jews. Clearly art is the problem...

:godwin:

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I'm no expert on football and only really watch the world cup and the occasional St. Johnstone game I get shanghai'd to but it seemed to my [stupid newbie] eyes that England lacked a plan other than "run very fast to near their goal and then dive" whereas Croatia actually had, like, A Guy Who Crosses and A Guy Who Hits It In.

wellp namaste see you in 4 years when it Comes Home for y'all

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Football, particularly international football, has united more people than it's ever divided.

Disgusting Coward posted:

I'm no expert on football and only really watch the world cup and the occasional St. Johnstone game I get shanghai'd to but it seemed to my [stupid newbie] eyes that England lacked a plan other than "run very fast to near their goal and then dive" whereas Croatia actually had, like, A Guy Who Crosses and A Guy Who Hits It In.

wellp namaste see you in 4 years when it Comes Home for y'all

2 years. England lacked the killer instinct that Croatia managed to find in the second half and Southgate needs to learn to react better. It's not a disaster.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Ninpo posted:

It''s not because the sport exists, it's because some oval office chose to pin their emotional flag to that particular mast and react incredibly poorly when the mast burns down.

This is exactly the point so you're hitting the nail right on the head.

But are you seriously suggestioning further on that brining up the studies into it is the "non alpha" response to the same because their specific to certain sports and not a general study on "assholes being assholes"?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I thought Harry Maguire was quite exceptional through the whole thing he seems like a good one

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I haven’t checked this thread in a while, and I have to say that this is quite a nice collective meltdown.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Gridlocked posted:

This is exactly the point so you're hitting the nail right on the head.

But are you seriously suggestioning further on that brining up the studies into it is the "non alpha" response to the same because their specific to certain sports and not a general study on "assholes being assholes"?

Learn to string a loving sentence together before replying to me. While you're doing that, yes I'm saying a fuckbend that boils the entire real issue of domestic violence down into "gently caress football" as if it's an actual cause, is just trying to point score the only way they know how: being a beta bitch on the internet, if they were any other way made up, they'd be out punching someone as well, because it's the same lash out to feel better about oneself root cause, because they're incapable of dealing with their own loving issues.

Broke brains are broke brains. The symptoms might differ depending on how big the bollocks are, but the same sad truths are behind it.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
Ugh so much toxic masculinity from you ninpo

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Ninpo posted:

Learn to string a loving sentence together before replying to me. While you're doing that, yes I'm saying a fuckbend that boils the entire real issue of domestic violence down into "gently caress football" as if it's an actual cause, is just trying to point score the only way they know how: being a beta bitch on the internet, if they were any other way made up, they'd be out punching someone as well, because it's the same lash out to feel better about oneself root cause, because they're incapable of dealing with their own loving issues.

Broke brains are broke brains. The symptoms might differ depending on how big the bollocks are, but the same sad truths are behind it.

Yeah ok dude nice meltdown etc

Better luck in four years time

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Gridlocked posted:

Yeah ok dude nice meltdown etc

Better luck in four years time

That's quite a violent reaction.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Gridlocked posted:

So according to an article I just read published by the Australian Broadcasting Commission domestic violence incidents in England go up by 26% when the English team plays a match, and by 38% if the team loses.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KateAllman1/status/1015941232839745537

This actually mirrors what my old boss told me yesterday in his experiences as a copper in Manchester.

This is loving disgusting Englishmen. Not saying or meaning to imply any Goons would behave like that cause we're all nice people, but Jesus Christ.

My violence toward you would go up 100% because you're a dumb bitch who quotes bullshit articles like this and deserves to get punched in the face.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Gridlocked is just confused because usually Aussies don't really need any kind of excuse to beat the poo poo out of each other.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
I am gutted about losing the match but we all would've taken a semi-final at the start of the tournament. On another day Kane puts away those chances. Could'a, would'a, should'a. Croatia showed they have a way stronger mental and physical fortitude than our lads, but it's a pretty good showing for a young team. Those that are harping on about England having had the easiest path are completely missing the point of tournament football; no one remembers the teams beaten along the way to winning it. Does anyone, off the top of their head, remember every team that Germany beat to win it in Brazil? Or every team we had to beat on the path to winning in it '66? If we had gone through to win it, in a few years no one would've even remembered panama et al. Only Belgium and England will remember they came 4th and 3rd respectively, and even then they aren't likely to care much.

I do think the ref and the officials were bizarrely awarding nonsense free kicks to the Croatians a lot, though, and not the same challenges to us. And we had a couple corners that were incorrectly given as goal kicks; but it's hard to be bitter when we've benefited from penalty calls going our way for once.

Alli and maybe Kane stayed on the pitch far past their expiry.

Final edit: I don't get all the making GBS threads on Sterling. Sure he needs to work on his finishing but he was constantly causing defences problems and making them sit deeper to try stop him getting in behind them. Even then he contributed to winning us corners which we scored goals from, and generally made us look more dangerous that we probably really were, which isn't a bad thing in a tournament.

Rakosi fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 12, 2018

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Kane was IMO kept on because they were hoping/playing/expecting it to end with PKs and you've just GOT to have the glorious PK taker Kane on the pitch when that happens.

Turns out you have to score enough goals to tie the game for PKs though.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
https://imgur.com/gallery/3C7siOE

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
If I were english I would feel proud of this team. You have an actual decent goalie that isn't trash in Pickford, you have a midfield and defense. Your forwards will occasionally score. Remember that poo poo period of time, not long ago? Green, Terry, Lampard, Gerrard, Crouch, Rooney? Roy Hodgson? loving Fabio Capello of all people. At least this thing looks and acts as a team. WC semifinals is nothing to scoff at.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

A young England team came up against a Croatian team in its prime (Modric and Mandzukic are surely on the way out). No shame in a defeat.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

it was a great run, it really was.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Harry Kane's not good in open play, for England anyway, maybe really tired.

Croatia were really good and they deserved it, turned it up and really, they made the difference show between good individual players and great individual players.

We did good but I'm disappointed we didn't make those golden chances count in the first half, we should have been 3 up by the 45th minute.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
Is "Always look on the bright side of life" the England team's new anthem for the final game?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Im proud of Southgate and the lads. Well done

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Vegetable posted:

A young England team came up against a Croatian team in its prime (Modric and Mandzukic are surely on the way out). No shame in a defeat.

:agreed:

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Plus next time imagine how good we’ll be with Sterling passing/scoring as well as his running about ability.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Vegetable posted:

Modric really is an incredible player and should be up for the balon dor

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

African AIDS cum posted:

:chanpop:

You expect FIFA not to give it to Snow White or The Dwarf?

Modric’s Disney villain face alone will keep him away from the top two.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
modric is clearly a hobbit

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Shrapnig posted:

My violence toward you would go up 100% because you're a dumb bitch who quotes bullshit articles like this and deserves to get punched in the face.

hell, i can agree with this

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Stiff upper lip lads. You had a good run. Please keep the tradition of the 3rd place match being better than the final alive.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

African AIDS cum posted:

He seems to do a lot. Real Madrid are so loaded, though, it's easy for him to get overlooked in the grand scheme. (Well, when that team also has the best Costa Rican, Welsh, Portuguese [until just this week] and maybe German player in the world, easy for that to happen.)

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Dirk Pitt posted:

Stiff upper lip lads. You had a good run. Please keep the tradition of the 3rd place match being better than the final alive.

My money’s on waistcoat giving our reserves another chance to beat the Belgian reserves. Still could be a good game though.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Vegetable posted:

:agreed:

Also I can't hate the Croatian team because they completely humiliated Argentina and that's always wonderful

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
all i'm saying is that the euro 2020 final is at wembley and good stockport lad phil foden will be juiced up on two years of pep drips at that point , ready and willing to be the link between harry kane and midfield

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

lol looks like england tried to score while croatia were celebrating. pathetic

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Strawman posted:

Whenever someone takes part in a criminal conspiracy to murder my friends and family and blame me I immediately get down on my knees and give them a big sloppy blowjob - Barry Shitpeas.

hmm yes harry kane did hillsborough from his dads balls

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Rakosi posted:

Final edit: I don't get all the making GBS threads on Sterling. Sure he needs to work on his finishing but he was constantly causing defences problems and making them sit deeper to try stop him getting in behind them. Even then he contributed to winning us corners which we scored goals from, and generally made us look more dangerous that we probably really were, which isn't a bad thing in a tournament.

Agreed with this, Sterling kept every defence pushed back and whenever he ran in behind they poo poo themselves. It'd be nice if he was a natural finisher but he contributed plenty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Imagine this team in a couple of years, basically the same but better and with a proper left wing-back like Ryan Sessegnon or something. Some of our good young lads coming in instead of old shitters like Cahill and Welbeck. Maybe another decent midfielder (Foden?) and Loftus-Cheek with more experience so we don't have to rely on our first team so much even if they're tired or out of form.

Phwoar.

• Locked thread