System Message

Secondary database maintenance is underway. Some features will be briefly unavailable.
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
I haven't done PotD in like a year, and I'm about to hop in on a different job. I have two saves, one at Fl 100 and one at Fl 81, both Monk. Should I keep the Fl 100 save and overwrite the Fl 81?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Note Block posted:

I haven't done PotD in like a year, and I'm about to hop in on a different job. I have two saves, one at Fl 100 and one at Fl 81, both Monk. Should I keep the Fl 100 save and overwrite the Fl 81?

There really isn't any reason to keep a floor 100 save unless it's a solo run you intend to pick back up.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Holy poo poo, why did no one tell me Twintania had a mount action? Flying around doing barrel rolls is the true endgame.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Note Block posted:

Turn back now, If you value your sanity. Hoh is much better at 21-100 starting at lvl 60 at the ruby sea.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Alder posted:

Turn back now, If you value your sanity. Hoh is much better at 21-100 starting at lvl 60 at the ruby sea.

I'm trying to level a sub-60 job. :(

And thanks Skaw! I'll just reset em.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

dmboogie posted:

Once you hit HW you're basically done with filler bullshit.

Can't wait.

On the subject of the free exp from post-ARR but pre-expansion quest stuff... what's the best way to profit from that? Should I do it all on one job, or spread it around depending on the quest level?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Unsinkabear posted:

Can't wait.

On the subject of the free exp from post-ARR but pre-expansion quest stuff... what's the best way to profit from that? Should I do it all on one job, or spread it around depending on the quest level?

One job. The game locks a lot of things behind the story so it's in your best interest to blow through the story and unlock the various shortcuts and catchup activities for your other jobs.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

dmboogie posted:

Once you hit HW you're basically done with filler bullshit.

Until you get to the loving moogles :sterv:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kitfox88 posted:

Until you get to the loving moogles :sterv:

Both in story and sidequests. :argh:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Both in story and sidequests. :argh:
The moog's had the decency to open up most of their sidequests after you get flying.
Back in the day, that dang hill NW of Tailfeather was way more annoying than the moog's sidequests opening up.

Thank god they changed the aethercurrent unlocks for quests.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Yeah I'm right at that part in HW, the moogles. I might blow past them over the weekend and get more levels for my DRK to do the HW job quests. And I might actually do MSQ roulette to get more poetics for Ironworks glamours.

Speaking of DRK, holy poo poo job quest 50 was so good, can they even top it?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The shame about the Level 50 DRK quest is that it has such a good plot that is immediately undercut by the story returning Ul'dah back to status quo and ignoring everything that happened as a result of the Parting Glass aside from Raubahn's arm, the Crystal Braves disbanding, and the Scions being split up.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Hot take, the fact that none of the city-states get a chance to put themselves together between the start of the ARR plot and now is kind of really jarring. It's especially rough in Ul'dah, which should practically be in a high-key revolt stage after the events that kick off Heavensward.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Monathin posted:

Hot take, the fact that none of the city-states get a chance to put themselves together between the start of the ARR plot and now is kind of really jarring. It's especially rough in Ul'dah, which should practically be in a high-key revolt stage after the events that kick off Heavensward.

The explanation for why that isn't the case already happened during 3.0. Basically none of the regular citizens believed the WoL was guilty, Teledji was dead and unable to finish his plot, and Lolorito (who Teledji had been planning to bump off as well) rapidly chessmastered himself into the villain position since most normal folk hate him anyway and then put the pieces of Ul'dah back together by the time you reach the Churning Mists. Because unlike Teledji, Lolorito is actually good at shady political plots and cared more about maintaining the pre-Before the Dawn status quo than mustache twirling.

Honestly, to me the most unsatisfying part was how they just blurt it all out to you halfway through 3.0 rather than let it hang for a while as you wonder exactly what Lolorito's deal was.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Thundarr posted:

The explanation for why that isn't the case already happened during 3.0. Basically none of the regular citizens believed the WoL was guilty, Teledji was dead and unable to finish his plot, and Lolorito (who Teledji had been planning to bump off as well) rapidly chessmastered himself into the villain position since most normal folk hate him anyway and then put the pieces of Ul'dah back together by the time you reach the Churning Mists. Because unlike Teledji, Lolorito is actually good at shady political plots and cared more about maintaining the pre-Before the Dawn status quo than mustache twirling.

Honestly, to me the most unsatisfying part was how they just blurt it all out to you halfway through 3.0 rather than let it hang for a while as you wonder exactly what Lolorito's deal was.

Oh I mean, yeah, I know that, but I'm saying that's a bullshit cop-out excuse and that they really should've done more with it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

They'd need to seriously improve on their phasing tech. It's probably the main disappointment between this and WoW. With phasing you can have players with the appropriate quest or whatever slip into portions of the world that can be totally different. The story instances are fine for big scripted sequences and setpieces but phasing lets the overworld feel more dynamic. The lack of a warzone in Stormblood makes the progression of the MSQ feel weird, like you just witnessed a big battle in a story instance and then everyone called it a night and went home once you're outside of it.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Argas posted:

One job. The game locks a lot of things behind the story so it's in your best interest to blow through the story and unlock the various shortcuts and catchup activities for your other jobs.

Ooookay. Summoner in order to bring Scholar along with, I guess?

Can anyone recommend a good ARR story recap? I, uh, have no idea who any of these people are.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Argas posted:

They'd need to seriously improve on their phasing tech. It's probably the main disappointment between this and WoW. With phasing you can have players with the appropriate quest or whatever slip into portions of the world that can be totally different. The story instances are fine for big scripted sequences and setpieces but phasing lets the overworld feel more dynamic. The lack of a warzone in Stormblood makes the progression of the MSQ feel weird, like you just witnessed a big battle in a story instance and then everyone called it a night and went home once you're outside of it.

It's probably literally a PS4 limitation. Phasing is complex and I bet it's a big old clientside mess to implement well.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Thundarr posted:

I was genuinely looking forward to more fun political scheming. Lolorito is a good villain and the whole Teledji plot was very satisfying to watch there just needed to be more of it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Unsinkabear posted:

Ooookay. Summoner in order to bring Scholar along with, I guess?

Can anyone recommend a good ARR story recap? I, uh, have no idea who any of these people are.

Which people?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

It's probably literally a PS4 limitation. Phasing is complex and I bet it's a big old clientside mess to implement well.

WoW implemented phasing when computers of the time were less powerful than phones from 6 years ago, it’s not a PS4 limitation, it’s a limitation of the inherited spaghetti they call code.

oh no blimp issue fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 12, 2018

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I think there is some phasing? But it's minimal at best.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Alexander is phased in the forelands depending on how you're progressed the 3.x raids. Rhalgr's reach is phased based on MSQ progress. Namazu, Moogle, and Ananta all have phasing based on your progression.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

They really need to use phasing to handle the zone transitions. I mean, yeah you can just teleport to Ishgard or fly over to the Ananta dailies but drat it, it annoys me!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

jalapeno_dude posted:

Alexander is phased in the forelands depending on how you're progressed the 3.x raids.

Hinterlands.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

This was pointed out in my FC discord and I'm so loving mad.

You remember a long time ago when they did that silly fighting game mock video? This one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuELXU0OEs4

If you look at the victory splash screen very closely around Yda you'll see some ridiculous level of foreshadowing to Stormblood. This video was made before Heavensward even released.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Welp, I just bought an EU Stormblood CD Key and it turns out I made my squeenix account a US one when I created it years ago for some stupid reason. :sigh: Anyone in the EU wanna buy a Stormblood key for £15?

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Bardeh posted:

Welp, I just bought an EU Stormblood CD Key and it turns out I made my squeenix account a US one when I created it years ago for some stupid reason. :sigh: Anyone in the EU wanna buy a Stormblood key for £15?

I'd be happy to! My sister's working through ARR right now and hasn't gotten Stormblood yet.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aithon posted:

I'd be happy to! My sister's working through ARR right now and hasn't gotten Stormblood yet.

Cool! I sent you a PM with details.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Also I just looked at a list of all the level 50 ARR quests I'm gonna need to do before I go into the expansions and holy shitballs there is a lot :stare:

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER

Bardeh posted:

Also I just looked at a list of all the level 50 ARR quests I'm gonna need to do before I go into the expansions and holy shitballs there is a lot :stare:

Yeah. I went through it recently. Did it in about a week and a half. My mindset was, I care about the story but the second Milfilia starts rambling to me post cutscene I'm mashing left click. I don't think I missed any story beats. The 2nd half of those quests are really bloated with garbage. You can probably skip a lot of text and zone out until like the last 3 patches worth of quests.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
2.x would be greatly improved if they teleported you around at the end of conversations. Aside from places you've never been.

So mostly getting teleported back to the stones really. :v:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Thyrork posted:

2.x would be greatly improved if they teleported you around at the end of conversations. Aside from places you've never been.

So mostly getting teleported back to the stones really. :v:

That would've really helped a lot, though you'd of course get idiots complaining about being teleported back when they had other things they wanted to do in the zone before going back.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Which people?

This happened when I was playing last year, but I remember that Cid and alphinau and friends encounter some empire/ex-empire (what's the empire's deal again, other than being fascists?) dude in a temple/dungeon who claims to have changed his ways, and I'm clearly supposed to recognize and distrust the rear end in a top hat but I haven't a clue who he was or what any of it was about. I think the name was Nero? He had some kind of gem in his face iirc.

In my most recent story quest as of restarting last night, I'm bringing a guy a crate that was like 10 meters away. And then retracing my steps to bring him things from the crate that I "dropped." Incredible :cripes:

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 12, 2018

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Just giving Vesper Bay an aetheryte would've solved like 75% of my problems with ARR's main scenario.

Although it was pretty amusing when they turned that into a plot point.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
it's just the quests where someone says 'go talk to this guy 200 meters away' and then you get 2 lines of lovely dialogue, and the guy says 'ok now go back and talk to that other guy' and it happens two or three times, and I just find myself mashing my way through and not reading the dialogue until the story actually gets to the point at the end of the mini chain. or all the times where someone says 'go talk to these 4 people around town' and none of them have anything interesting to say at all, and then you get back to the questgiver and they send you off on another fetch quest, and it's just a massive slog. the big scenarios and fights are cool, but all the boring shite you need to wade through to get to them are not

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
So does anyone have any experience with switching from using a Keyboard to primarily using a Controller? I’ve been using a Logitech G13 for a long time since I had one from my WoW days and I think it’s finally giving up the ghost. This is the ONLY game I use it with anymore so I’m looking at just using my XBOne controller instead. I’m just finding relearning a new control scheme like that intimidating. I’d love to hear how others who have been there dealt with this.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

i am tim! posted:

So does anyone have any experience with switching from using a Keyboard to primarily using a Controller? I’ve been using a Logitech G13 for a long time since I had one from my WoW days and I think it’s finally giving up the ghost. This is the ONLY game I use it with anymore so I’m looking at just using my XBOne controller instead. I’m just finding relearning a new control scheme like that intimidating. I’d love to hear how others who have been there dealt with this.

I switch back and forth quite often. Make sure you use the "W cross bar" to get more buttons - you'll need them, watch a YouTube video on how to set it up if needed - but it only really takes a couple of easy dungeons to get used to it if you are already proficient with controllers.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

YoshiOfYellow posted:

This was pointed out in my FC discord and I'm so loving mad.

You remember a long time ago when they did that silly fighting game mock video? This one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuELXU0OEs4

If you look at the victory splash screen very closely around Yda you'll see some ridiculous level of foreshadowing to Stormblood. This video was made before Heavensward even released.

What about this, exactly, is foreshadowing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Unsinkabear posted:

This happened when I was playing last year, but I remember that Cid and alphinau and friends encounter some empire/ex-empire (what's the empire's deal again, other than being fascists?) dude in a temple/dungeon who claims to have changed his ways, and I'm clearly supposed to recognize and distrust the rear end in a top hat but I haven't a clue who he was or what any of it was about. I think the name was Nero? He had some kind of gem in his face iirc.

In my most recent story quest as of restarting last night, I'm bringing a guy a crate that was like 10 meters away. And then retracing my steps to bring him things from the crate that I "dropped." Incredible :cripes:

the empire wants to kill all the primals (summons) by killing all the beast tribes that summon them and also they want to take over the world. they all have gems in their faces, and they can't use magic, so they use technology to compensate. cid used to be the empire's best engineer but then he defected to the good guys' side. nero was the empire's second best engineer who was always super pissed at people comparing him to cid, and was one of the officers under ARR's main villain, gaius. you kicked nero's rear end shortly before kicking gaius's rear end, and then apparently he left the empire on some kind of journey of self discovery.

he appeared in like three scenes across the entirety of ARR so it's understandable that you don't remember him.