Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
We literally became the hand of God and bred and domesticated a best friend only for loving idiots to breed and kill them to win a race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

gently caress gambling.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/1017248670033461248

Well that's the end of that then.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Senor Tron posted:

Let's say we increase our spending by 1% of GDP (so an extra 17 billion a year). Does Abbott really think that would save us if China actually went on the offensive against Australia?
Our best defence against invasion is being a sun-blasted, mad-max style hellscape at the arse end of the world.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

1 11
11 1_

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Does this mean we're ignoring the rest of the crooked-looking stuff the government's been doing to cover this up

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Mr Chips posted:

Our best defence against invasion is being a sun-blasted, mad-max style hellscape at the arse end of the world.

except we have a good proportion of the world's known uranium so there's *some* strategic value in it, but it'd be a logistic nightmare to invade and hold.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

bell jar posted:

these are written by chris leben, producer of sbs' the feed, and not by lee lin chin, sorry if that shatters anyone in this threads dreams of not everything being run by white men
what the gently caress!

i am dismayed

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Box of Bunnies posted:

Thank goodness the government flipped on the unfair racing ban on these hardworking entrepreneurs.

It's only one or two bad apples m8
"how many owners are there in the industry?"
like three or four?

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination

Party Plane Jones posted:

dear god what is happening in this thread

Aurora Australis?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

drunkill posted:

Some jokers in the army

"Bulk Billing"
LMAO

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Tasmantor posted:

Aurora Australis?

At this time of year? In this part of the forum? Located entirely in this thread?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

No! No rules against graft! Only against poors!

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Box of Bunnies posted:

At this time of year? In this part of the forum? Located entirely in this thread?

Fucken oath

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

AgentF posted:

Fucken oath

...can I see it?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cleretic posted:

...can I see it?

Yeah nah

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Steamed Lambs, oval office.

Steamed Lambs.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
what is this poo poo election now

https://twitter.com/kypros1992/status/1016921022702817280

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Yo dawg, we put a phone on your phone, so you can talk while you talk.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Please make Auspol August: Steamed Lambs.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

hooman posted:

Please make Auspol August: Steamed Lambs.

I like how pleased you are with that one.

Also I'm reading an article about the ACCC report into power prices and the main conclusion I'm coming to is private companies with a profit motive running essential services like power is bad.

I've also just realised I've signed myself up to doorknock this weekend for the election but it's apparently going to pour with rain. :(

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

froglet posted:

I like how pleased you are with that one.

Also I'm reading an article about the ACCC report into power prices and the main conclusion I'm coming to is private companies with a profit motive running essential services like power is bad.

I've also just realised I've signed myself up to doorknock this weekend for the election but it's apparently going to pour with rain. :(

Yes and then for some reason the conclusion they come up with for Queensland is to sell electricity assets. Not even joking the report is all about how privatisation is bad and then says Queensland should sell its generators lol.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The report concludes that privatisation is bad but competition is good and therefore Queensland should privatise its electricity grid because it will create competition despite the fact that real competition under capitalism hasn't existed in decades and in the case of electricity prices has led to companies simply agreeing prices should be higher rather than competition forcing the prices downwards. It's almost as if despite years of evidence, this report cannot fathom that an industry that merely feigns competition in order to look like a healthy market cannot exist.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Anidav posted:

The report concludes that privatisation is bad but competition is good and therefore Queensland should privatise its electricity grid because it will create competition despite the fact that real competition under capitalism hasn't existed in decades and in the case of electricity prices has led to companies simply agreeing prices should be higher rather than competition forcing the prices downwards. It's almost as if despite years of evidence, this report cannot fathom that an industry that merely feigns competition in order to look like a healthy market cannot exist.

thats because if qld collapses, we can finally cut out the cancer and the rest of australia will improve.

what next, privatise the water?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Kommando posted:

thats because if qld collapses, we can finally cut out the cancer and the rest of australia will improve.

what next, privatise the water?

Lol if you think in 2018 that NSW isn't the cancer.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Don Dongington posted:

Lol if you think in 2018 that Australia isn't the cancer.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Don Dongington posted:

Lol if you think in 2018 that NSW isn't the cancer.
NSW bringing the cancer since 1788.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The first time that you have direct contact with a big 4 accounting firm, and see the discrepancy between the level of work and expertise they bring and the hourly rates they charge, is a hell of a shock tbqh.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Solemn Sloth posted:

The first time that you have direct contact with a big 4 accounting firm, and see the discrepancy between the level of work and expertise they bring and the hourly rates they charge, is a hell of a shock tbqh.

EY?

I hate EY.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

But tbh the same is true for a lot of consultancy firms. Government wastes a ridiculous amount of money on that poo poo.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Before Times posted:

EY?

I hate EY.

Got it in one!

Yeah this was my first time seeing a fee estimate from them. It’s seriously criminal how much the public sector forks out to their mates through this type of consultancy.

Translating the costs of an individual project you outsource, compared to the total cost to bring on a highly skilled person internally, and then you’d also retain that knowledge within the department/agency going forward too. It’s hosed.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Solemn Sloth posted:

Got it in one!

Yeah this was my first time seeing a fee estimate from them. It’s seriously criminal how much the public sector forks out to their mates through this type of consultancy.

Translating the costs of an individual project you outsource, compared to the total cost to bring on a highly skilled person internally, and then you’d also retain that knowledge within the department/agency going forward too. It’s hosed.

yeah but something something bloated public service fat cats!

Also be careful engaging any consultants with projects that might span over the christmas holidays; all the seniors gently caress off and leave the grads/interns behind to cluelessly do the work.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
When I was a teenager and the privatisation of the public sector was still new I was doing something in some office somewhere. Anyway, one of the more experienced workers took a redundancy package worth quite a chunk of change as they were doing those efficiency downsizes they like to do. He was back the next week as a consulting earning 3 times as much for the next few months at least.

We used to have a public sector to be proud of...

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Oh boy you wait until you do some work with PWC.

EY are comparatively excellent in comparison. PWC literally come in, do a bunch of bullshit interviews, then do a find and replace on the nearest applicable document, and walk off 5-6 figures heavier. My experience with EY was that they at least generated some original material, even if it wasn't worth the price.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Oh also the people they’re going to be asking all their questions to are represented by Freehills so it’s really ticking all the boxes for an excellent process imo

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Oh also Murdoch/Freehills have dropped their bullshit vexatious lawsuit against the NTEU's WA industrial staff which is great.

The Guillotines can't come soon enough to those scumfucks.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

The Before Times posted:

EY?

I hate EY.

Turns out I play floorball with one of the offspring of a partner of EY and the guy is an entitled jerk.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
My workplace has recently had some stuff contracted to Deloitte. One of their presentations involved them very carefully restating a bunch of things I've been saying for a year and a half. Fun times.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
That's basically the experience anyone's gonna have with a big 4 consulting company, if you're a subject matter expert or at all invested in the organisation you work for. They come in, say what you've been saying for years, walk away with a few million dollars, and then your boss ignores it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/AnthonyCole68/status/1016981031142879233

• Locked thread