Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

VitalSigns posted:

The Trump thread is really getting into the political theater surrounding the Kavanagh nomination, coming up with hilarisad fantasy football scenarios for how the Dems will stop the confirmation and totally own the GOP.

Yeah okay, Democrats really hate Republicans and are totally gonna clown on them this time. The politicians who go out for drinks together and vote on deregulation together and confirmed Gorsuch together and work for the same donors are really gonna lock horns over the corporate stooge that all their paymasters are creaming themselves to see on the court :roflolmao:

Just remember to handwave away any criticism of/protect at all costs Doug Jones and Joe Manchin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Where do we build the real thunderdome to make senators fight for their right to live on salaries as low as their poorest constituency?

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

RuanGacho posted:

Where do we build the real thunderdome to make senators fight for their right to live on salaries as low as their poorest constituency?

When do we start paying them teacher salaries?

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Beelerzebub posted:

make sure not to pay them when the senate isn't in session, and remove all office supplies so they have to provide their own.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Beelerzebub posted:

Paying politicians less is a dumb idea because that just further ensures that only rich fuckers can be politicians.

We need to pay teachers like senators.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

Paying politicians less is a dumb idea because that just further ensures that only rich fuckers can be politicians.

The whole "Trump isn't taking a salary:smug:" thing pisses me off so much. Yeah I really want to vote for assholes that can do the most powerful job in the world as a hobby.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Trabisnikof posted:

As someone graduating university to become an educator next spring, I concur with this statement.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Trump thread is trying to defend Crowley clinging to a third-party nomination against the express wish of that party as a last-ditch effort to ratfuck Ocasio-Cortez and get a Republican elected by asserting that paperwork is annoying so there's just nothing he can do to avoid splitting the vote.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

The Trump thread is trying to defend Crowley clinging to a third-party nomination against the express wish of that party as a last-ditch effort to ratfuck Ocasio-Cortez and get a Republican elected by asserting that paperwork is annoying so there's just nothing he can do to avoid splitting the vote.

Evilweasel is lying his rear end off and pretending he knows more than everyone, business as usual.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Someone who I can't remember has made the argument that we should actually pay congress millions each but ban them from basically ever working again after they leave office, which is...interesting? Obviously this still leaves their family to get paid off but it's a perspective I hadn't considered (like a lot of people I always felt politicians were paid too much)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

Working as intended. Wontfix.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Someone who I can't remember has made the argument that we should actually pay congress millions each but ban them from basically ever working again after they leave office, which is...interesting? Obviously this still leaves their family to get paid off but it's a perspective I hadn't considered (like a lot of people I always felt politicians were paid too much)

Yes politicians should be paid so well that we can forbid them from taking lobbyist jobs after they leave.

"Politicians should be paid crap" just incentivizes bribe-taking and bars everyone but the rich from public office.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

VitalSigns posted:

Surprise the "centrists" on here are massive pieces of poo poo and do not want things to get better.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
You have to be wilfully ignorant to not see a coordinated pushback against leftist candidates.

They keep insisting the district is too blue to spoil, but that's not what the play is. Crowley thinks he can win on a combination of name recognition, higher turnout of older voters and established community networks (i.e. churches and unions) for a general election, and a national media narrative against the DSA.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

He's not going to split the district. I live here. People got energized, we have Cynthia to worry about now in September. AOC will stay visible. I don't even care if he siphons a few votes. What I care about is that I'm being denied the WFP line in November. In NY, they'd get funding if they hit a certain threshold of the vote and the WFP is good.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nothus posted:

You have to be wilfully ignorant to not see a coordinated pushback against leftist candidates.

DnDliberalism.txt

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

trump thread denizens aren't even smart enough to be useful idiots

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

not a cult posted:

trump thread denizens aren't even smart enough to be useful idiots

I want to put this post on a plate and eat it because it's so perfect

quote:

the counter is "you know what also risks demoralizing the progressive wing and harming party unity? fact-free conspiracy theorizing."

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

VitalSigns posted:

https://twitter.com/NYWFP/status/1017475534023004161

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Welp that's pretty definitive.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
http://i.imgur.com/YyOy0R3.jpg

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
gently caress posting images on a phone I don’t care.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
lmao

https://twitter.com/ella_nilsen/status/1017515227351605254

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Abolish Dems.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I revoke every good thing I’ve ever said about Pocan.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

I revoke every good thing I’ve ever said about Pocan.

isn't it a procedural thing, as in, if they vote yes and it fails they can't introduce it again?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

not a cult posted:

isn't it a procedural thing, as in, if they vote yes and it fails they can't introduce it again?

Oh right. But I thought that was the Senate? Maybe that’s what it is though, that is legit.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

This is Charlie Brown finally not running to kick the football when Lucy clearly is going to yank it away.

If letting this bill get to the floor wasn't a good move for the Republicans, they wouldn't allow it so easily.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Refusing to file a sham election campaign for the purpose of invalidating yourself for another campaign so that they can change the nominee in order to funnel more money to themselves is some 11-dimensional corruption. C'mon Crowley, the lawyers of the people who stand to benefit from this assure us that it's not that big of a deal and the people who have gotten arrested for doing this totally got their convictions overturned on appeal.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Refusing to file a sham election campaign for the purpose of invalidating yourself for another campaign so that they can change the nominee in order to funnel more money to themselves is some 11-dimensional corruption. C'mon Crowley, the lawyers of the people who stand to benefit from this assure us that it's not that big of a deal and the people who have gotten arrested for doing this totally got their convictions overturned on appeal.

Brainworm infestation level = maximum

Also please feel free to post any politician who has been arrested for this kind of situation, I'm literally :allears:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Good post/username combo imo.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Trabisnikof posted:

This is Charlie Brown finally not running to kick the football when Lucy clearly is going to yank it away.

If letting this bill get to the floor wasn't a good move for the Republicans, they wouldn't allow it so easily.

Aren't there procedural reasons for voting no? If they want to bring this to the floor again, don't they have to for some parliamentary reason? I know i've seen something like this before. I know all the dems are a waste posters don't want to give anyone the benefit of the doubt, but I believe that's what's going on here.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Aren't there procedural reasons for voting no? If they want to bring this to the floor again, don't they have to for some parliamentary reason? I know i've seen something like this before. I know all the dems are a waste posters don't want to give anyone the benefit of the doubt, but I believe that's what's going on here.

since i'm the guy who posted this, i thought i should look this up: if i understand correctly, there is a rule that says that if somebody on the winning side of the vote voted against their side, they can file a "motion to reconsider". so if the dems bring a bill to vote, and the vote fails, but a dem voted "no", they can later force another vote. if all dems voted "yes", they cannot.

that said, this is senate procedure and what we're talking about is the house, but i assume similar procedural rules apply. also i don't understand why all three of these dems would vote no, when as far as i understand one of them would be enough.

this is one of those questions i would honestly like someone like joementum to weigh in on because i'm out of my depth.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

botany posted:

since i'm the guy who posted this, i thought i should look this up: if i understand correctly, there is a rule that says that if somebody on the winning side of the vote voted against their side, they can file a "motion to reconsider". so if the dems bring a bill to vote, and the vote fails, but a dem voted "no", they can later force another vote. if all dems voted "yes", they cannot.

that said, this is senate procedure and what we're talking about is the house, but i assume similar procedural rules apply. also i don't understand why all three of these dems would vote no, when as far as i understand one of them would be enough.

this is one of those questions i would honestly like someone like joementum to weigh in on because i'm out of my depth.

Same. I know there are parliamentary tricks that can end up in something like this, but I don't know if they are in play here in this instance.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Nah cause I think those tricks require control of the chamber, thus why it was always Reid voting no on Democratic poo poo to retry later.

I think its more a reaction to our lovely lovely media than anything else. If some dems vote for it and some don't the media will laser focus on the #democraticdrama and ignore the fact that Republicans are actively supporting kiddy concentration camps.

That's why Republicans want the vote, so they can use it to try and wedge Democratic voters. If no Democrats at all vote for the bill, it will be a lot harder to use it to suppress enthusiasm as it will appear more clearly the Republican ruse that it is.

Sure Republicans will try to say "we we totally going to let them do it" but if the Democratic caucus is unified against it I think the Republican lies will ring hollow.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
If no Dems vote for the bill then the GOP will just say that the House clearly is in full support of ICE.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Cerebral Bore posted:

If no Dems vote for the bill then the GOP will just say that the House clearly is in full support of ICE.
If no Democrats vote for the bill the GOP will say that it was all theater and the Democrats really don't give a poo poo about Mexican kids, and they'll be a hundred percent right.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:lol:

https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1017855382755135489

https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1017857149555433472

Reminder that William F. Buckley is this guy:

"Why The South Must Prevail posted:

The central question that emerges - and it is not a parliamentary question or a question that is answered by merely consulting a catalogue of the rights of American citizens, born Equal - is whether the White community in the South is entitled to take such measures as are necessary to prevail, politically and culturally, in areas in which it does not predominate numerically? The sobering answer is Yes - the White community is so entitled because, for the time being, it is the advanced race. It is not easy, and it is unpleasant, to adduce statistics evidencing the median cultural superiority of White over Negro: but it is a fact that obtrudes, one that cannot be hidden by ever-so-busy egalitarians and anthropologists. The question, as far as the White community is concerned, is whether the claims of civilization supersede those of universal suffrage. The British believe they do, and acted accordingly, in Kenya, where the choice was dramatically one between civilization and barbarism, and elsewhere ; the South, where the conflict is by no means dramatic, as in Kenya, nevertheless perceives important qualitative differences between its culture and the Negroes', and intends to assert its own.

Do we have a Milkshake Duck emote?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

AOC isn't a milkshake duck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Centrist tests :laffo:

• Locked thread