Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
I'm registered to vote in Kings county but we're moving to Westchester on September 1st. Am I going to have to vote via affidavit? In Kings or Westchester? Board of elections says "Notices of change of address from registered voters received at least 20 days before a special, primary or general election by a county board of elections must be processed and entered in the records in time for that election" but i'm super skeptical they have their poo poo together. Just fill out the change of address form and hope they actually stick to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

get that OUT of my face posted:

i heard nixon's ground game is pretty bad

At prospect park yesterday I was asked to sign to get cynthia on the ballot, so that is at least someone.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/TweetBenMax/status/1015040785354493952

I hope each and every one of them loses their loving primary.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

don't be fooled by the headline for this Intercept article. it's really about how the Bronx Dems have shut out State Sen. Gustavo Rivera out of their post-AOC soul searching. not really surprising since he's consistently anti-machine, to the point where he faced two failed challenges by Fernando Cabrera and doesn't have a picture of him at party HQ

theflyingexecutive posted:

NY-18 checking in, what’s there concrete to hate about Dilan aside from being a machine stooge? gimme some damning votes pls
Dilan is also a real estate and landlord stooge. he voted for vacancy decontrol way back in 1994, when he was in city council. he claims to regret it now because he didn't think it would affect his neighborhood at the time. that might be a fair point on the surface, because Bushwick was one of the poorest and most dangerous neighborhoods in the city back then. but he's lying: he voted against repealing vacancy decontrol in 2009, when the dems had the majority in the state senate, and presumably he's only supporting a repeal now that they're in the minority. he still takes lots of money from REBNY and the Rent Stabilization Association, which is a landlord lobby with a very deceiving name

other than that, he doesn't do much for his district- his office is pretty unresponsive to constituents. his head also looks like a shriveled testicle

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

E-Money posted:

I'm registered to vote in Kings county but we're moving to Westchester on September 1st. Am I going to have to vote via affidavit? In Kings or Westchester? Board of elections says "Notices of change of address from registered voters received at least 20 days before a special, primary or general election by a county board of elections must be processed and entered in the records in time for that election" but i'm super skeptical they have their poo poo together. Just fill out the change of address form and hope they actually stick to it?

Vote twice it's double the Patriotism

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Nice.

https://twitter.com/NickReisman/status/1015282232288784384

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i still say there's no chance she wins

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I don't know, I feel like there might be some surprises coming from the Buffalo Billions trial.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't know, I feel like there might be some surprises coming from the Buffalo Billions trial.
the Percoco trial came and went with nary a scratch to Cuomo's sterling reputation among NY voters, i don't see anything coming out of another trial

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

a couple of days ago i got an email from "Woke Brooklyn" accusing Diana Richardson of killing a black and Caribbean education bill in the legislature. some savvy twitter people found the person behind it:

Richardson had a working relationship with Hamilton even though they've never liked each other, on account of him repping two-thirds of her assembly district. she also was the main sponsor of the bill in the Assembly. the IDC, of course, was crucial in making sure this wasn't passed, and the timing of this email is obvious- the legislative year is over. in response, Richardson put Hamilton on blast:

https://www.facebook.com/votedianarichardson/videos/1798241926923397/

you can be sure that i'll be volunteering for Zellnor Myrie very soon

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

good news: looks like Broad City's Abbi and Ilana are backing Cynthia Nixon, walking back their previous poor political choice of Hillary Clinton

bad news: don't say "win a bong" you idiots, there's a reason why head shops call them "water pipes"

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Nixon is not alone in encouraging substance abuse in pursuit of donations though!

https://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/archives/283134/is-it-legal-for-gov-andrew-cuomo-to-offer-all-you-can-drink-for-5/

Guess Andy really wants go bring down that median donation.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So I don't know if you've heard, but violence has ramped up in Albany this year, and specifically this past week. There was a rally to protest this recent rampu up, in which a prominent anti-gun violence advocate was also shot dead.

In a since-deleted post, condemned both by the chief of police and the mayor, the vice president of the PBA (police union) criticized the funding and community policing policies and claimed that they are why violence is on the rise, specifically condemning that same anti-gun violence group as a bunch of weed smoking incompetents.

Now some weird citizen's crime-fighting organization called the Guardian Angels have come to town to start recruiting. The mayor denies she invited them in:

https://twitter.com/AlbanyCityHall/status/1016775900392804352

This is really getting out of hand.

In other news, Amazon is coming to the neighborhood after all, although it's going to be a distribution center rather than their HQ2.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
LMAO Curtis Sliwa Goes To Albany.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you haven't heard of the Guardian Angels before, check it out, that's some good reading

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

from memory: there was a crime once on like an lirr platform and that inspired a dude to wear a beret and train other dumb guys to do so to and they all look like dweeb nazis

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Guardian Angels are some dork-rear end poo poo, also racist

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

everyone in Jose Peralta's district should vote for Jessica Ramos right? since Peralta was IDC

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Uranium 235 posted:

everyone in Jose Peralta's district should vote for Jessica Ramos right? since Peralta was IDC

Yep

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

yeah vote for Ramos

i think there's a minimum weight requirement to be in the Guardian Angels and that's well over 200 pounds

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

yeah vote for Ramos

i think there's a minimum weight requirement to be in the Guardian Angels and that's well over 200 pounds

You can also be so skinny that you'd never be a physical threat to anyone.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

waffles beyond waffles posted:

You can also be so skinny that you'd never be a physical threat to anyone.
i've never seen a guardian angel that isn't some shlubby middle aged loser

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Andre Nickatina posted:

The Guardian Angels lookin straight to rip right on the spot
Cause all you are are voluntary unpaid rent a cops
And I'm a factor, better yet a motherfuckin force
Now I gotta shoot you like a broke legged horse

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

i've never seen a guardian angel that isn't some shlubby middle aged loser

About 20 years ago there was a skinny kid who would Rollerblade around the parking lot of Wegman's on Driving Park in Rochester.

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

I do hate myself, but it has nothing to do with being Jewish.
I remember there was a whole hubbub about NY party affiliation changes having to be done crazy early in advance of a given primary to be eligible to vote, but in researching whether I can vote in the primaries when I move to NYC in the near future, it seems like you only need to declare it 25 days ahead of the election. Is this a recent change or was the extended length just for the presidential primary or something? 25 days seems shorter than what I remember being reported during 2016.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Gregoriev posted:

I remember there was a whole hubbub about NY party affiliation changes having to be done crazy early in advance of a given primary to be eligible to vote, but in researching whether I can vote in the primaries when I move to NYC in the near future, it seems like you only need to declare it 25 days ahead of the election. Is this a recent change or was the extended length just for the presidential primary or something? 25 days seems shorter than what I remember being reported during 2016.

The deadlines for new registrants are as reasonable as anything this side of same day registration. The deadline to change party affiliation is before the prior general election. (Read last year). L

If you’re moving to New York, you’re fine.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
It's being hashed out but is there a simple summary of wtf happened with the WFP and crow jowley and AOC today?

I haven't honed my lanyard-detection acutely enough to parse out the truth from tweets

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Gunshow Poophole posted:

It's being hashed out but is there a simple summary of wtf happened with the WFP and crow jowley and AOC today?

I haven't honed my lanyard-detection acutely enough to parse out the truth from tweets

he's either dumb, lazy, or a ratfucker. or all three. and the lanyards are making GBS threads their pants because she broke :decorum:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
A bit late, but lol:

https://twitter.com/CaseySeiler/status/1017161680319582215

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dems are a waste. They just can't actually support any position can they?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

So, first of all, what happened:

The WFP nominated Crowley expecting him to coast. He is refusing to vacate the nomination (more on why in a moment). Cortez today freaked out about it a bit on twitter and people started acting like he is stealth planning to pull a Lieberman and run against her for real for real in November. I don’t think that’s the case, but I do honk this is awful ratfucky; this is the key tweet pair:

https://twitter.com/JoeCrowleyNY/status/1017408249513955328

https://twitter.com/JoeCrowleyNY/status/1017408740855693314

So what is Crowley doing here?

The typical way to move someone off the WFP line is to nominate them for a meaningless judicial or town council seat in an overwhelmingly GOP district somewhere upstate or whatever. What Crowley is doing is trying to establish a new argument that this widely accepted practice, that fusion parties have used for decades, constitutes election fraud.

Why is he doing that?

In a word, Nixon.

What Crowley is doing is creating a basis to argue that Cynthia Nixon ought not be able to be removed from the WFP line in November if she loses the democratic nomination. (Since she has established she fully intends to step aside for Cuomo if she does.) If Crowley and Cuomo can force Nixon to stay on the ballot while Cuomo is the Democratic nominee, they will be able to completely shut down any serious votes for the WFP on the governors line in November. That creates a very real threat to the parties ability to reach 5% and maintain guaranteed ballot access for the next four years. There’s nothing Cuomo and co. Would love to do more than gently caress over the WFP’s ballot access as retribution for the Nixon nod. They tried four years ago when the party so much as considered nominating Zephyr Teachout with the “Women’s Equality Party” - and They’re trying to achieve the same ends with a new tactic this year.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

CaptainPsyko posted:

In a word, Nixon.

What Crowley is doing is creating a basis to argue that Cynthia Nixon ought not be able to be removed from the WFP line in November if she loses the democratic nomination. (Since she has established she fully intends to step aside for Cuomo if she does.) If Crowley and Cuomo can force Nixon to stay on the ballot while Cuomo is the Democratic nominee, they will be able to completely shut down any serious votes for the WFP on the governors line in November. That creates a very real threat to the parties ability to reach 5% and maintain guaranteed ballot access for the next four years. There’s nothing Cuomo and co. Would love to do more than gently caress over the WFP’s ballot access as retribution for the Nixon nod. They tried four years ago when the party so much as considered nominating Zephyr Teachout with the “Women’s Equality Party” - and They’re trying to achieve the same ends with a new tactic this year.

I don't get it? Why wouldn't she just get off the WFP ballot when she loses the primary? Also if she is on the WFP ballot i'll still vote for her, so what's the problem?

The bolded part doesn't make a lick of sense. What if 80% of NYS votes for the WFP and then cuomo just straight up loses? Is this some kind of 9 dimensional chess or something?

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 03:09 on Jul 13, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
My understanding is the WFP will lose automatic ballot access if 5% of voters don't vote for her as a third party candidate. The next sentence after you bolded is why they'd do it.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I don't get it? Why wouldn't she just get off the WFP ballot when she loses the primary? Also if she is on the WFP ballot i'll still vote for her, so what's the problem?

The bolded part doesn't make a lick of sense. What if 80% of NYS votes for the WFP and then cuomo just straight up loses? Is this some kind of 9 dimensional chess or something?

Yea cuomo is betting WFP cant get 5% as a spoiler party line. We’ll see if he’s right I guess.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Meanwhile the DSA is making gains without having to make weird maneuvers to avoid losing ballot access. :shrug:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GalacticAcid posted:

Yea cuomo is betting WFP cant get 5% as a spoiler party line. We’ll see if he’s right I guess.

Well I can tell you this, I'm not voting for cuomo, so if I get to vote for Nixon on the WFP, it's win/win.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Good news, everyone!

https://twitter.com/CynthiaNixon/status/1017547289009762305

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

It’s a democratic primary, not a WFP primary. Historically, the WFP would just hange their nominee. In order to do this, they have to accept a nomination for another office - typically a town clerkship in a red county or whatever. This is what Crowley is refusing to do to make space on the ballot for ACO on the WFP line. He’s claiming that doing so constitutes “election fraud” - pay attention to that, because they are going to make the same argument when Nixon tries to step aside and cede the WFP nomination to Cuomo.

The reason for doing so, is that then Cuomo can actively campaign against people voting for Nixon on a spoiler line ballot. While some folks like yourself might be attracted to it, they’re banking that many many many more voters, who would normally vote for a democrat on the WFP line, will not, and the WFP swill come in under 5%. By doing so, the WFP loses guaranteed ballot access for every race for every election in New York for the next four years. Even worse, because of how NY party lines work, the “Working Families Party” line/nomination becomes literally first come, first serve for whoever gets their petitions in first. (This isn’t how it works for the libertarian party because they failed to get 5% 4 years ago. It’s hilarious.)

Tl;dr, it would literally kill the WFP as an organization and eliminate them from meaningfully being a party at all. It’s not 9-D chess. It’s checkers.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Meanwhile the DSA is making gains without having to make weird maneuvers to avoid losing ballot access. :shrug:

DSA isn’t a party and doesn’t have a ballot line. They’re not at all the same thing.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
cuomo suqq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

:agreed: