Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm lost where did they overpromise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013

homeless snail posted:

I'm lost where did they overpromise

No Man's Sky was a game that promised a lot of things. You could probably look it up.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I'm very excited for all the criticism of Octopath that boils down to 'but this isn't how a JRPG is supposed to be.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

That wasn't the point. The lack of something isn't the same as the existence of proof that it doesn't exist, and a dev in an interview did say there was more crossover later on.

You guys are being ridiculous.
wait let me get this right; the lack of any mention of there being a grand plot isn't the same as the existence of proof that there isn't a grand plot, therefore we should assume that there is a grand plot despite the fact that all the marketing, trailers, etc. say that there are eight separate plots and then get disappointed when it turns out there wasn't a grand plot after all, which there should be, because they never mentioned it?

yes, yes it is us who are being ridiculous

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Zaphod42 posted:

How small minded do you have to be to think me saying "devs definitely shouldn't over promise, like no man's sky" translates to "this game is just like no man's sky" ?

Goddamn goons like dunking on strawmen to feel superior. Its real sad.

See, I read your post as "That one developer did promise a feature that was (possibly) ultimately not in the game, just like No Man's Sky." If that is wrong, then Mae Culpa

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Pull up, thread! Do it for Tressa!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Your Computer posted:

wait let me get this right; the lack of any mention of there being a grand plot isn't the same as the existence of proof that there isn't a grand plot

Yes.

Your Computer posted:

therefore we should assume that there is a grand plot despite the fact that all the marketing, trailers, etc. say that there are eight separate plots and then get disappointed when it turns out there wasn't a grand plot after all, which there should be, because they never mentioned it?

No! Jesus christ no! Read my posts!

Is anything more nuanced than "THING GOOD" or "THING BAD" beyond your understanding??

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Unlucky7 posted:

See, I read your post as "That one developer did promise a feature that was (possibly) ultimately not in the game, just like No Man's Sky." If that is wrong, then Mae Culpa

If I meant that I would have said it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If everyone is misunderstanding your posts, maybe your posts are the problem. Interesting if true

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I have explicitly said "I'm not holding my breath on there being a grand campaign even though thay one dev said it, but he did so MAYBE and that'd be cool"

And you guys have somehow failed to parse that over and over and over.

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I could actually use several more in a row to fully grasp the nuances

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well I already put my take on it:

Unlucky7 posted:

At this point I'd rather just assume that there is no real crossover between stories, and if it turns out there is within the endgame (which does sound substantial), it will be a pleasant surprise.

I will leave the discovery of the final path to chance upon in the game and other people. If I obsess over it and start scrutinizing reviews, previews, interviews, etc, then I will probably exhaust myself and end up hating the game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

No! Jesus christ no! Read my posts!

Is anything more nuanced than "THING GOOD" or "THING BAD" beyond your understanding??
You were specifically agreeing with a post saying that the devs were "creating false impressions" that the game would have a grand plot which they absolutely and objectively have not.

homeless snail posted:

If everyone is misunderstanding your posts, maybe your posts are the problem. Interesting if true
:hmmyes:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Your Computer posted:

You were specifically agreeing with a post saying that the devs were "creating false impressions" that the game would have a grand plot which they absolutely and objectively have not.

Go back and watch the dev interview someone posted, I'll wait.

And lol you just proved me right. Because I dared agree with someone that means our views are 100% in align because its either true or false with zero room for nuance. Stop thinking that way.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
This is loving stupid. Stop being pedantic fools and go to sleep right loving now so you'll maximize your Octopath time tomorrow.

However much time you think you'll need, multiply that by eight. Just means you're going to have to get rid of unnecessary distractions like work, family, and hygiene.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

homeless snail posted:

Once again, that's an oversimplification. (And very dismissive)

My posts are the problem though, because I assume you can understand a complex opinion. My bad. You're clearly children who only think in binary terms.

Octopath Traveller will be very fun.

There, is that simple enough for you?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

My posts are the problem though, because I assume you can understand a complex opinion. My bad. You're clearly children who only think in binary terms.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Holy poo poo goons are insufferable

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I think there was a Cracked article about how the day before The Force Awakens came out was the best day to be a Star Wars fan because it could be whatever you wanted and was tantalizingly close.

The reviews for Octopath Traveler lead me to believe that the best time to be an Octopath fan will be in the thick of it, navigating from one chapter's quest to the next and enjoying everyone's skill progression as I rob/investigate/battle/seduce/haggle across the land.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Everyone is so miserable. I guess it makes sense for the summer video game crowd but c'mon guys.

Video games are F U N

OCTOBELIEVE

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Why can't it unlock now

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
https://twitter.com/mmahardy/status/1017483463845265408

May 8, 2006

But do These Nuts tie into an overarching plot?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Relax Or DIE posted:

But do These Nuts tie into an overarching plot?

Sort of? It branches the plot and you have to choose left or right.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 12, 2018

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

Sort of? It branches the plot and you have to choose left or right.

Now there's a situation that could benefit from an Octopath.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Saint Freak posted:

The end game is Tressa opens up her Item World and you have to level every character and every item to 9999999999999

Jokes on her, I've been playing Disgaea 5 this past month and murdering LoC item worlds. :black101:

Your Computer posted:

They've literally been saying EIGHT DIFFERENT CHARACTERS, EIGHT SEPARATE STORIES since the very first trailer :psyboom:

It was later on that they said 8 separate stories/paths but that separation is one of the reasons I'd said the real name for this game could be SaGa Frontier 3 last year. SaGa Frontier's PoV characters also meant little to nothing to each other's stories and it didn't make their stories any worse (or better, Rikku).

I think Seiken Denetsu 3's characters had little to no overlap of their stories too? Though a lot of their stories went to the same places just with different boss fights IIRC.

8 characters/stories that are interesting and not just "SAVE THE WORLD FROM EVIL" as a game is cool and good.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
This thread is starting to really loving suck.

Just play the game. It's going to be good. If there is a connected end, great, if not, who the gently caress cares? The game will be good either way.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Mega64
May 23, 2008

But what does "Path" mean?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Mega64 posted:

But what does "Path" mean?

Octo = Eight
Path = Path

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I hope my copy arrives in the mail tomorrow because I had a lot of fun playing the demo and I want to play the full game ASAP!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
People Are Terrible, Ha

Also, I don't care what marketing has or hasn't led me to believe, I just want to play Octopath and I want to play it now.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

can someone make me a primrose dancing shake gif =0

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Octo may refer to:
Octo (automobile), a French car of the 1920s

WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO HIDE

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Zyla posted:

can someone make me a primrose dancing shake gif =0

Fuggin pervert!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Octo = Eight
Path = Path

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Therion is a snark master, he's the underappreciated gem of the MCs.