Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

banned from Starbucks posted:

D&d goons can't possibly envision a scenario in which they aren't completely incompetent or their kids massively stupid.

i think it's more that we can't envision a scenario in which you aren't incredibly incompetent, tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

D&d goons can't possibly envision a scenario in which they aren't completely incompetent or their kids massively stupid.

if that's the kind of stuff you've been putting in their heads, there's absolutely no doubt that your children are indeed extremely stupid

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The second amendment should have been repealed after the civil war proved that in the event of any violent uprising just as many citizens will fight against the cause as for it. It's a useless amendment, there's always enough people to voluntarily quash any rebellion without even needing to get the military involved. This "take back the government" fantasy on a large scale would just result in the country turning into occupation-era Iraq. Or Syria.

Repeal the second amendment, ban ammunition sales except to extremely well vetted folks (country fucks who want to hunt deer) and limit magazines to 2 rounds.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Elizabethan Error posted:

It's called "living in reality" where guns are rarely used for self-defense in home invasion scenarios. but please, continue with your fantasies. they're really entertaining.

link

I think my favorite part of the Kleck study with the 2.5 million number absolutely dwarfs what is actually reported. Apparently gun owners have to use their guns all the time for self-defense, but never bother to report it to the authorities. :thunk:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just 1 goon is doing that, and it's you

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Get back to us when you guys stop getting shot by toddlers.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WampaLord posted:

Statistically you're much more likely to plug one of the kids when they're up late to go get a glass of water and they make a noise.

Statistically its most likely you will never shoot your gun, never have an accident with it , and also never have to use it in self defence either.

You are comparing freak accidents that are uncommon to rare violent crimes. Both which wont happen to 99% of gun owners.

Most likely when you have a gun in the house nothing will happen

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
So you're saying it's more likely a gun will be either useless or detrimental than that it'll be useful. Yeah, sure sounds like a good investment.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

"Most likely I'm not going to have my head bashed in by a heavy crane", says the construction worker who eschews wearing his helmet.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

So you're saying it's more likely a gun will be either useless or detrimental than that it'll be useful. Yeah, sure sounds like a good investment.

better for ten innocents to die than for us to suffer one burglar to live

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

zapplez posted:

Statistically its most likely you will never shoot your gun, never have an accident with it , and also never have to use it in self defence either.

You are comparing freak accidents that are uncommon to rare violent crimes. Both which wont happen to 99% of gun owners.

Yes that's true, most likely nothing will happen. But that doesn't mean that it's worthless to compare the rates of occurrence. In risk assessment you look at likelihood and consequence, not just likelihood. That's worth doing here when the consequence is life-ending

What matters in the case of gun ownership is that you're more likely to lose a loved one by owning a gun, even when you account for the small likelihood of saving a loved one.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

zapplez posted:

The context of the post I was replying to was clear, he's talking about a situation where one would need/want to use the gun, not do nothing.

I agree most guns in the home do nothing at all in that home, but it doesn't change the fact that owning a gun makes your family statistically less safer overall.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

zapplez posted:

Does it hurt being that wrong zapplez?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

doesn't seem to have ever bothered him before

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

botany posted:

doesn't seem to have ever bothered him before
the brain's capacity for ignoring input in action

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

The context of the post I was replying to was clear, he's talking about a situation where one would need/want to use the gun, not do nothing.

I agree most guns in the home do nothing at all in that home, but it doesn't change the fact that owning a gun makes your family statistically less safer overall.

Those statistics lump every gun owner together, from the alcoholic domestic abuser to the well-adjusted chill guy who goes to church every Sunday and packs his kids' lunch everyday. The reason people who want guns for self-defense don't buy the "statistics show that owning a gun is more likely to hurt you than protect you" is because they are well-adjusted individuals who care about their safety and take precautions to make sure their guns are stored safely, and assume the cases where the gun did hurt a loved one was a case of a "bad owner".

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

qkkl posted:

Those statistics lump every gun owner together, from the alcoholic domestic abuser to the well-adjusted chill guy who goes to church every Sunday and packs his kids' lunch everyday. The reason people who want guns for self-defense don't buy the "statistics show that owning a gun is more likely to hurt you than protect you" is because they are well-adjusted individuals who care about their safety and take precautions to make sure their guns are stored safely, and assume the cases where the gun did hurt a loved one was a case of a "bad owner".

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

qkkl posted:

If only the CDC was allowed to study whether being a well-adjusted individual makes any difference, but for some reason gunhavers are opposed to that kind of research. I guess so that they can claim that kind of result without having to know whether it's really true or not

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkJets posted:

If only the CDC was allowed to study whether being a well-adjusted individual makes any difference, but for some reason gunhavers are opposed to that kind of research. I guess so that they can claim that kind of result without having to know whether it's really true or not

Bingo, the first step in actual gun control should be to allow these studies to take place. Once statistics that pro-gun people can actually relate to are released that show that yes, guns are bad even for you then they might actually start voting for more gun control.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

qkkl posted:

Once statistics that pro-gun people can actually relate to are released that show that yes, guns are bad even for you then they might actually start voting for more gun control.
Pretty sure that the NRA knew that from the start, which is why the CDC got told to gently caress off and stop investigating gun deaths in 1996.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

qkkl posted:

Ever heard of the Dunning Krueger effect?

Everyone who owns a gun is a 'well adjusted individual' until they do something stupid and magically transition from one of the 'good guys' into a 'bad owner'.

Every 'good owner' is only a good owner until they do something stupid. And you trying to flip it into a binary good/bad switch is you trying to simplify and ignore the statistics that prove that guns do not make anyone safer. Most deaths from guns are from suicide, because it's just so easy.

That chill guy that goes to church every sunday and packs his kid's lunches is only a good owner until someone knocks on his door in the middle of the night looking for help, and the instant he opens the door, he fires his shotgun directly into her face, killing her.

Y'know Just like this

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 13, 2018

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

qkkl posted:

Bingo, the first step in actual gun control should be to allow these studies to take place. Once statistics that pro-gun people can actually relate to are released that show that yes, guns are bad even for you then they might actually start voting for more gun control.

Ahhhh yes, the people who didn't reason themselves into their conclusion definitely will be reasoned out of it if we just find the right stat! I hope you're not actually this naive to believe that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Raldikuk posted:

Ahhhh yes, the people who didn't reason themselves into their conclusion definitely will be reasoned out of it if we just find the right stat! I hope you're not actually this naive to believe that.

No one reasoned themselves into smoking, either, yet data was the root cause of a decades-long decline in smoking behavior

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
People who call themselves "gun owners" are by definition not well-adjusted.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fishmech posted:

People who call themselves "gun owners" are by definition not well-adjusted.

Common man. If we just want to do negative sweeping generalizations all day we can start with anyone that watches anime is a sex offender. Probably a higher rate than gun owners being violent.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

zapplez posted:

Common man.

Lol typical self-identified gun owner, pretending they're some sort of royalty.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

No one reasoned themselves into smoking, either, yet data was the root cause of a decades-long decline in smoking behavior

Speak for yourself, I took up smoking in 1951 after the Surgeon General recommended Chesterfield-brand cigarettes to promote lung and heart function, improve reaction time, and increase cognitive function.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Every person I know that has quit smoking has done so for one of two reasons. 1) Their high cost due to sin taxes 2) feeling socially ostracized due to indoor smoking bans. The latter has been one of the major ones I have heard.

Now certainly those policies were put into place due to data, but the peeps affected didn't reason out that cigarettes are actually bad so I will quit.

That itself bolsters my view that it is public policy which curbs that sort of stuff. Gun fetishists aren't going to be convinced by a CDC study, but we can put policies in place due to that data which over the long haul will change peoples behaviors.

Which is the other side of the smoking thing; a huge factor in smoking rates falling is due to fewer teens picking it up. So there definitely is value in using the data to shape education policies to convince those that can be and then use public policy to prevent them from accessing it even if they wish to (for cigs this is heavy enforcement of min smoking age, raising the age, etc).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Raldikuk posted:

Every person I know that has quit smoking has done so for one of two reasons. 1) Their high cost due to sin taxes 2) feeling socially ostracized due to indoor smoking bans. The latter has been one of the major ones I have heard.

Now certainly those policies were put into place due to data, but the peeps affected didn't reason out that cigarettes are actually bad so I will quit.

Right, so data was the root cause, like I said

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Right, so data was the root cause, like I said

I never suggested data wasn't useful so I am not sure what your point is. My specific point was that for a gun fetishist a new CDC study will not reason them out of their position and we shouldn't pretend it will.

What new CDC studies can do is convince the non gun fetishists that we need stricter gun control and elect people to do so.

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.

zapplez posted:

So why the gently caress does everyone think they need a gun?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Raldikuk posted:

I never suggested data wasn't useful so I am not sure what your point is. My specific point was that for a gun fetishist a new CDC study will not reason them out of their position and we shouldn't pretend it will.

What new CDC studies can do is convince the non gun fetishists that we need stricter gun control and elect people to do so.

My point was that it sounded like you were disagreeing with me, but then everything you said was in-line with what I said so it's all good

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Iv've often thought "How many guns do I need?"
So I am writing the below to provide some insight as to why many gun owners own the purported 18 firearms each.

If you think of guns as a tool you would use to apply lethal force to a problem, you can then see the need for a variety of firearms to solve problems with.

Working from the inside out:
1. A self defense hand gun: to be kept at bedside. You need a gun you can quickly grab and use when awoken. There are numerous choices here but really the best gun is the one you are the most comfortable and proficient with. Some argue for larger caliber or more capacity but that is a trade off each user will need to make.
2. A shotgun: for self defense use when clearing or defending your residence primarily within an urban setting. Rifle bullets tend to over penetrate residential construction, and shotguns can be effective with shorter barrels which make using them in confinded spaces preferable as a long arm. 12 ga pump is the obvious choice
3. A CQB rifle: typically in smaller cartridge like .223 or 7.62x 39mm, this rifle is useful for engaging targets in an urban setting and scale. The primary goal is to consistently be able to hit man sized targets at 100 yards. This rifle should have a standard sized magazine, and be light enough you can use move quickly with it within buildings or other urban terrian, it should also me short enough to easily manouver within vehicles. You may wish to store this gun in your car or truck for easily access when needed.
4. A conceal carry hand gun: like the handgun for home defense however you also need to consider concealment utility as well. Many factors like, climate, build, and sex will influence your choices here. There is a strong argument to be made to have this be the same caliber and or model as your bedside gun.
5. A Battle Rifle: this should be a full sized rifle with a 30 caliber cartridge or better. the obvious choices are .308 or 30-06 though the 7.63x51 has served the commies well. The cartridge should reliability shoot through concealment including vehicles and residential structures. This cartridge should also reliably defeat most body armor. You should be familiar with using this weapon at 300-1000 yards. This rifle will allow you to fulfil the designated marksman role, or give you a range advantage against targets using only light rifles like the AR-15.

So there you have it the 5 basic guns everyone should own. Obviously many gun owners like to collect historical weapons. Or own fireams specifically designed for hunting or other shooting sports like clays.

I don't recommend that the average gun owner invest in an actual target rifle for long distance shooting. Sure these can be fun activities as a test of both equipment and shooter percision but this class of shooting provides diminishing returns in utility. It is better to put lots of time and practice into the 4-5 basic gun use cases.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I can think of something that hurts gun loving goons worse

tl;dr the link goes to an offsite copy of an old thread by a goon who blew his own leg off with a shotgun while menacing some guy rummaging in the scrap pile outside his trailer.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

qkkl posted:

*checks watch*

wow didn’t realize it was time to post “gunfucking dipshit in gun thread has bad and dumb point to make” again

stone cold posted:

one specific type of gun, cool cool cool

meanwhile

quote:

In 2012, across the nation there were only 259 justifiable homicides involving a private citizen using a firearm reported to the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program as detailed in its Supplementary Homicide Report (SHR). That same year, there were 8,342 criminal gun homicides tallied in the SHR. In 2012, for every justifiable homicide in the United States involving a gun, guns were used in 32 criminal homicides. And this ratio, of course, does not take into account the tens of thousands of lives ended in gun suicides or unintentional shootings that year.

quote:

In 2012, there were only 259 justifiable homicides involving a gun. For the five-year period 2008 through 2012, there were only 1,108 justifiable homicides involving a gun.

quote:

In 2012 there were 20,666 firearm suicide deaths and 548 fatal unintentional shootings. Source: Federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention WISQARS database.

quote:

The reality of self-defense gun use bears no resemblance to the exaggerated claims of the gun lobby and gun industry. The number of justifiable homicides that occur in our nation each year pale in comparison to criminal homicides, let alone gun suicides and fatal unintentional shootings. And contrary to the common stereotype promulgated by the gun lobby, those killed in justifiable homicide incidents don’t always fit the expected profile of an attack by a stranger: in 35.5 percent of the justifiable homicides that occurred in 2012 the persons shot were known to the shooter.

The devastation guns inflict on our nation each and every year is clear: more than 33,000 dead, more than 81,000 wounded, and an untold number of lives traumatized and communities shattered. Unexamined claims of the efficacy and frequency of the self-defense use of firearms are the default rationale offered by the gun lobby and gun industry for this unceasing, bloody toll. The idea that firearms are frequently used in self-defense is the primary argument that the gun lobby and firearms industry use to expand the carrying of firearms into an ever-increasing number of public spaces and even to prevent the regulation of military-style semiautomatic assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines. Yet this argument is hollow and the assertions false. When analyzing the most reliable data available, what is most striking is that in a nation of more than 300 million guns, how rarely firearms are used in self-defense.

e: guns aren’t tools guns are for tools

stone cold posted:

quote:

VIOLENT CRIME
According to the NCVS, looking at the total number of self-protective behaviors undertaken by victims of both attempted and completed violent crime for the three-year period 2013 through 2015, in only 1.1 percent of these instances had the intended victim in resistance to a criminal “threatened or attacked with a firearm.”11 As detailed in the chart on the next page, for the three-year period 2013 through 2015, the NCVS estimates that there were 16,492,600 victims of attempted or completed violent crime. During this same three-year period, only 175,700 of the self-protective behaviors involved a firearm. Of this number, it is not known what type of firearm was used or whether it was fired or not. The number may also include off-duty law enforcement officers who use their firearms in self-defense.

quote:

According to the NCVS, looking at the total number of self-protective behaviors undertaken by victims of attempted or completed property crime for the three-year period 2013 through 2015, in only 0.2 percent of these instances had the intended victim in resistance to a criminal threatened or attacked with a firearm. As detailed in the prior table, for the three-year period 2013 through 2015, the NCVS estimates that there were 46,673,600 victims of attempted or completed property crime. During this same three-year period, only 109,000 of the self-protective behaviors involved a firearm. Of this number, it is not known what type of firearm was used, whether it was fired or not, or whether the use of a gun would even be a legal response to the property crime. And as before, the number may also include off-duty law enforcement officers. In comparison, data from the Department of Justice shows that an average of 232,400 guns were stolen each year from U.S. households from 2005 to 2010.

COMPARING NCVS DATA TO CLAIMS THAT GUNS ARE USED IN SELF-DEFENSE 2.5 MILLION TIMES A YEAR
Using the NCVS numbers, for the three-year period 2013 through 2015, the total number of self-protective behaviors involving a firearm by victims of attempted or completed violent crimes or property crimes totaled only 284,700. In comparison, the gun lobby claims that during the same three-year period guns were used 7.5 million times in self defense (applying to the three-year period the gun lobby’s oft-repeated claim, noted earlier, that firearms are used in self defense 2.5 million times a year).

CONCLUSION
The reality of self-defense gun use bears no resemblance to the exaggerated claims of the gun lobby and gun industry. The number of justifiable homicides that occur in our nation each year pale in comparison to criminal homicides, let alone gun suicides and fatal unintentional shootings. And contrary to the common stereotype promulgated by the gun lobby, those killed in justifiable homicide incidents don’t always fit the expected profile of an attack by a stranger: in 34.4 percent of the justifiable homicides that occurred in 2014 the persons shot and killed were known to the shooter.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Admiral posted:

its really fun to shoot pop cans

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KingFisher posted:

Iv've often thought "How many guns do I need?"
So I am writing the below to provide some insight as to why many gun owners own the purported 18 firearms each.

If you think of guns as a tool you would use to apply lethal force to a problem, you can then see the need for a variety of firearms to solve problems with.

Working from the inside out:
1. A self defense hand gun: to be kept at bedside. You need a gun you can quickly grab and use when awoken. There are numerous choices here but really the best gun is the one you are the most comfortable and proficient with. Some argue for larger caliber or more capacity but that is a trade off each user will need to make.
2. A shotgun: for self defense use when clearing or defending your residence primarily within an urban setting. Rifle bullets tend to over penetrate residential construction, and shotguns can be effective with shorter barrels which make using them in confinded spaces preferable as a long arm. 12 ga pump is the obvious choice
3. A CQB rifle: typically in smaller cartridge like .223 or 7.62x 39mm, this rifle is useful for engaging targets in an urban setting and scale. The primary goal is to consistently be able to hit man sized targets at 100 yards. This rifle should have a standard sized magazine, and be light enough you can use move quickly with it within buildings or other urban terrian, it should also me short enough to easily manouver within vehicles. You may wish to store this gun in your car or truck for easily access when needed.
4. A conceal carry hand gun: like the handgun for home defense however you also need to consider concealment utility as well. Many factors like, climate, build, and sex will influence your choices here. There is a strong argument to be made to have this be the same caliber and or model as your bedside gun.
5. A Battle Rifle: this should be a full sized rifle with a 30 caliber cartridge or better. the obvious choices are .308 or 30-06 though the 7.63x51 has served the commies well. The cartridge should reliability shoot through concealment including vehicles and residential structures. This cartridge should also reliably defeat most body armor. You should be familiar with using this weapon at 300-1000 yards. This rifle will allow you to fulfil the designated marksman role, or give you a range advantage against targets using only light rifles like the AR-15.

So there you have it the 5 basic guns everyone should own. Obviously many gun owners like to collect historical weapons. Or own fireams specifically designed for hunting or other shooting sports like clays.

I don't recommend that the average gun owner invest in an actual target rifle for long distance shooting. Sure these can be fun activities as a test of both equipment and shooter percision but this class of shooting provides diminishing returns in utility. It is better to put lots of time and practice into the 4-5 basic gun use cases.
the actual answer is 0 and has always been 0.

unless you're depressed.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Admiral posted:

The vastly majority of Americans don't think that.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

qkkl posted:

How much do you truly believe this changes things, and why do you think that? There are stories about accidents in the news all the time involving an accident occurring during a brief lapse for someone who otherwise believes themselves to be a model owner. I would venture to posit that many model owners are model owners if and only if you consider only themselves as to the authority of determining model ownership.

Achieving true levels of gun safety/model ownership would be both a) difficult to expect from the general human population and b) prevent the presence of a gun in the fantasy scenarios that people concoct to support gun ownership in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

fishmech posted:

The vastly majority of Americans don't think that.

Gun ownership is a minority hobby, but somehow nobody has noticed this yet. Hardcore gun nuts in turn are a tiny minority of that minority, but for some reason everyone acts like we need to take their poo poo opinions seriously.

3% of Americans own 50% of the guns.
19% of Americans own the other 50% of the guns.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/09/19/just-three-percent-of-adults-own-half-of-americas-guns/?utm_term=.45383714df7e

• Locked thread