Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Potsticker posted:

I think Mikazuki would've improved Wing's story quite a bit, were the two protagonists swapped between shows.

One of the main reasons Mikazuki and the other child soldiers in IBO work so well and come off as such weirdos is because IBO actually lets them interact with normal people as a contrast point. Mika and Kudelia are both humans, but Kudelia is a normal person with empathy and Mikazuki is a murder robot with his own entirely hosed up set of values and these two have to find some kind of common ground. You also have characters like Atra who exist as a sort of middle ground between "hosed up" and "normal person" to bridge the gap. Heero Yuy is just as much of a messed up murder robot as Mika, but everyone in Wing is a pontificating crazy person with their own list of issues so he never gets to bounce off anyone "normal" to contextualize his personal weirdness in the same way.

Mika in Wing probably wouldn't come off all that different from Heero. Both of them are ruthless killers who have no qualms about pushing themselves beyond the point of human endurance to accomplish a goal, both of them have absolutely no regard for their own well-being, and both of them are capable of seeing that the present world situation is hosed up and needs to change and they're not the one who's going to change it so they're willing to tacitly put their faith in a brave woman who wants to effect that change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I was being glib, but you're absolutely correct.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Mika wouldn't have fallen for Relena 2.0s total pacifism routine like Heero does (since deep down Mika doesn't want the violence to stop), but that's the only significant difference in characterisation.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I've accepted my bad taste and unabashedly whole heartedly love Wing and it's my true favorite but it's better to start with a UC series or SEED imo. If you like them then there is a ton of merch and related side stories that you can branch into that make it fun. I absolutely hate SEED's character designs but everything else is fine. Other than just find one that looks interesting to you and go from there. Just keep your eye out for Zeon apologists, men from Jupiter, and know nothing good happens on Mars.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

sassassin posted:

Mika wouldn't have fallen for Relena 2.0s total pacifism routine like Heero does (since deep down Mika doesn't want the violence to stop), but that's the only significant difference in characterisation.

Heero doesn't fall for Relena's pacifism routine, either. He respects her goal and supports it, but he never stops fighting or being ready to fight at a moment's notice.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I've accepted my bad taste and unabashedly whole heartedly love Wing and it's my true favorite but it's better to start with a UC series or SEED imo. If you like them then there is a ton of merch and related side stories that you can branch into that make it fun. I absolutely hate SEED's character designs but everything else is fine. Other than just find one that looks interesting to you and go from there. Just keep your eye out for Zeon apologists, men from Jupiter, and know nothing good happens on Mars.

SEED is a great choice other than the fact that the combination of its character designs and early-aughts digital coloring will sear your eyes. Also its sequel was so bad it soured the well for what seemed poised at the time to be a big new sub-franchise (like the gunpla series are today).

There's a reason SEED was a smash hit, but there's also a reason they're not still making more of them.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
SEED is loving bad

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SEED is only okay, just like most Gundam series tbh.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

At the end of the day there a bunch to choose from when it comes to Gundam so go hog wild.

Speaking of, now that I will be getting a PS4 in the near future are there good guides to SRW stuff? I know Super Robot Wars X has an English edition but I've seen a lot recs for Z and Alpha and they both sound good to me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Five or even ten years ago I didn't really imagine myself being the guy standing up for SEED but oh well

Raxivace posted:

SEED is only okay, just like most Gundam series tbh.

You're right, but it's still a great choice for an introduction to Gundam

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Because there's so much of it, "this is pretty mediocre but I enjoy it anyway" is sort of the default Gundam experience so you may as well reach that level of understanding first.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

At the end of the day there a bunch to choose from when it comes to Gundam so go hog wild.

Speaking of, now that I will be getting a PS4 in the near future are there good guides to SRW stuff? I know Super Robot Wars X has an English edition but I've seen a lot recs for Z and Alpha and they both sound good to me.

There are very rough story "translations" on gamefaqs by a guy called mneidengard. I wouldn't really recommend them though, they're written so dryly it sucks all the fun out of the writing and he's really stubborn about transliterating every character's name (so he calls Zeon Jion and Kamille Kamiyu for example) which I personally find very annoying. Also it's been a while since I checked so idk if he's done any of the more recent ones.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Xarbala posted:

Five or even ten years ago I didn't really imagine myself being the guy standing up for SEED but oh well

You're right, but it's still a great choice for an introduction to Gundam

Not if you want compelling, good-looking action, which is one of the biggest draws of the franchise. SEED isn’t just ugly, it’s lazy - way too many flashbacks, way too much stock footage. The big mid-season climax fight is hilarious because both combatants are using their exact same stock footage attacks they’ve used on each other over and over already, with the only difference being that their targets aren’t dodging this time and bits of their suits are falling off.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Xarbala posted:

SEED is a great choice other than the fact that the combination of its character designs and early-aughts digital coloring will sear your eyes. Also its sequel was so bad it soured the well for what seemed poised at the time to be a big new sub-franchise (like the gunpla series are today).

I genuinely don't get how Destiny stopped SEED yet the Gundam Build series continue after how bad Try was. It's not like things got better afterwards, either, Battlogue's quality was completely episode-dependent and Divers has been a snoozefest of a show.

Note that I am not defending Destiny here, Destiny is awful and I hate it for having lots of promise at first then wasting all of it for Jesus Yamato Jesus Yamatoing everyone and everything, including the plot itself.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

W, Z, Z2, MX and L have full LPs done. They work extremely well as translation guides, at least for the plot, and I absolutely recommend playing alongside them. Alpha Gaiden also has a full LP but that one's fan translated already.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Tulalip Tulips posted:

V is also available for PS4, and I'd recommend Gundam Breaker 3 as wrll

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

I genuinely don't get how Destiny stopped SEED yet the Gundam Build series continue after how bad Try was. It's not like things got better afterwards, either, Battlogue's quality was completely episode-dependent and Divers has been a snoozefest of a show.

Destiny apparently had some behind the scenes problems and the lead writer had a serious illness (which she passed away from a few years back.) The combination of the two kinda tanked the series.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kanos posted:

Heero doesn't fall for Relena's pacifism routine, either. He respects her goal and supports it, but he never stops fighting or being ready to fight at a moment's notice.

Heero dreams of peace to the point where he'll readily accept death to find it (as that's the only way out his mission/programming permits). Her ideology is inherently attractive to him in a way that Kudelia's isn't to Mika.

Mika likes Kudelia as a person, while Heero only loves Relena's politics.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Blaze Dragon posted:

My guess is that Try's model kits still sold well enough, because at the end of the day that's what really matters.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

There are official English translations for V and X, though you have to put in a little elbow grease to get 'em. You have to make sure you're buying the South East Asia (SEA) edition, not the Japanese. Physical copies of V are going to be pretty rare, so be prepared to make a Singapore PS4 account to download it. V adds Hathaway's Flash, Crossbone: Skullheart, and Crossbone: Steel 7 for the first time in a SRW game, while X has G-Reco. They both have a smattering of other UC series you'd expect, with the former bringing Unicorn to the mix and the latter busting out Beltorchika's Children.

Blaze Dragon posted:

W, Z, Z2, MX and L have full LPs done. They work extremely well as translation guides, at least for the plot, and I absolutely recommend playing alongside them. Alpha Gaiden also has a full LP but that one's fan translated already.

Unofficial translations exist for Alpha Gaiden (debut of Turn A & X), SRW 3 (debut of 0080 & 0083), Judgement (only has SEED & G Gundam), and Advance Portable (No Gundam debuts, but it was the last hurrah of First Gundam).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

The Super Robot Wars thread will hook you up, my dude.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The difference between Destiny and Try is that Destiny's flaws come from backstage drama while Try is purely the result of executive fuckery, and executives, once invested by ordering sweeping mandates, will never admit to mistakes.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Midjack posted:

The Super Robot Wars thread will hook you up, my dude.

Oh cool! I don't venture into games since I pretty much only play games like Civilization and Crusader Kings (or fighting ganea because dudes get really mad at girls beating them in those and I find it funny) so I didn't think to look there for an SRW thread.

Thanks for all the recs, everyone!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Paper Kaiju posted:

My guess is that Try's model kits still sold well enough, because at the end of the day that's what really matters.

Build Divers kits have been almost entirely superior too, just because they're actual customs again instead of mostly being Zeta knockoffs unique designs.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah I still need to pick up that votoms grimoire kit.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Destiny's biggest problem is that it systematically shits on all the "progress" and growth of each and every character over the course of original SEED. Our returning protags have to be complete and utterly different people to make the decisions they make in Destiny compared to what they should have learned and gone through in SEED. Kira I guess escapes this but becomes such a windbag of untouchable plot armor that it's also dumb and irritating. Destiny has lots of problems including a completely unlikable set of new protags and stupid resurrections, but I still think the fact that it just undoes basically all the good will character growth from the second half of SEED is it's core problem.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Midjack posted:

Someone mention Turn A and we'll have recommended everything.

Nobody mentioned 0083.

Because it's really bad.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nobody mentioned 0083.

Because it's really bad.

It's animated beautifully and has a great soundtrack!

It's like proto-Unicorn in that it's a visual and audio treat and wonderful on those merits alone, but the plot and characters are...divisive.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kanos posted:

It's animated beautifully and has a great soundtrack OP and EP

It's like proto-Unicorn in that it's a visual and audio treat and wonderful on those merits alone, but the plot and characters are...divisive.

FTFW

The Top Gun inspired intro song and the cheesy english credits music are great. The actual in show music is a mess more often than not.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I’ll stand by MEN OF DESTINY.

Hell, I hope I can be one when I grow up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wanna get the chance.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wanna get the chance.

'Cause I'm never gonna stop streak my dream.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Realtalk though, as far as in-show music goes, the best Gundam shows are probably IBO, 08th MS Team or Thunderbolt. Unicorn has really good music but it gets overwhelming a lot of the time and the instrumentation can get so dense it muddles the melodies.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Build Fighters, spanish guitar

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm pretty cold on the show as a whole, but yeah Build Fighters had a lot of great music.

Try had a pretty good OST too that was used loving horribly.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Realtalk though, as far as in-show music goes, the best Gundam shows are probably IBO, 08th MS Team or Thunderbolt. Unicorn has really good music but it gets overwhelming a lot of the time and the instrumentation can get so dense it muddles the melodies.

I think Unicorn used the Main Unicorn Theme one or two too many times without enough variation.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mimir posted:

I think Unicorn used the Main Unicorn Theme one or two too many times without enough variation.

The best bit of music in Unicorn is the track that plays while Mineva has a chat with the cafe owner in the middle of nowhere.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

IBO's got some of the best use of music, yeah.

The main theme especially. A little sad, a little heroic, a little triumphant, and it still has the kick to work as entrance music. Even aside from the theme songs, IBO's got a few tracks that stuck well enough to work for a wrestling style "Is that... Mikazuki's music?" in a Build Fighters short or something.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's a lower key track but I like this one from IBO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2diH7-skeg

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

sassassin posted:

IBO and Wing are extremely similar.

Now what would make you think that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVcCB4fze94

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP9PASx3bgA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Mimir posted:

Repeating variations on the same tune seems to be a thing that Hiroyuki Sawano just does a lot. It's happened in Kabaneri and Seraph of the End, that I've noticed.