Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

So now you can eat the frozen dinner before it's a frozen dinner and made to order to your specifications.

thats just called dinner bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

luxury handset posted:

thats just called dinner bro

Yeah, exactly, what if the frozen dinner factory got streamlined to the point it didn't need to freeze your dinner and then have you poorly microwave it to eat it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Large scale complex robotic food preparation in factories is the answer to why we are now able to make small scale made to order food preparation. So now you can eat the frozen dinner before it's a frozen dinner and made to order to your specifications.

Way to completely dodge the question: what breakthrough is responsible for this being viable now but not twenty years ago? Industrial robotic food preparation has been common for decades. Why is 1980s technology being hailed as a 21st-century breakthrough?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

what breakthrough is responsible for this being viable now but not twenty years ago?

imo the creator has been tinkering with this thing as a passion project, accepted $18m in venture funding, and now has to try to cobble together a business model

note how the 'finished product' looks nothing like the prototype. in fact it looks way simpler. it looks exactly like what i would design if someone forced me to make a robot that spits out burgers. this thing screams minimum viable product and it has no real advantages over some teenager with a spatula, except it's a neat gimmick to hang your future restaurant around. i could see them surviving for a minute but no way will they be able to pay back let alone provide a return on the venture funding lmao

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Sauces include: Pacific Sauce (a CA riff on Thousand Island, with umeboshi and mole); Oyster Aioli, Charred Onion Jam, Sunflower Tahini, Pancetta Aioli, Garlic Sauce, Smoky Ketchup, Garlic Aioli, Hickory Smoked Jalapeño Sauce, Truffle Parm Fonduta, Blue Cheese Fonduta

Seasonings: Alderwood Smoked Sea Salt, Persian Lime Pepper, Tellicherry Black Pepper, Cascabel Coffee, Bootjack BBQ, Truffle salt, Jalapeño sea salt

UGG why would anyone get this for 6 dollars? I can just go to mcdonalds!!!

I can get that sort of poo poo for $5 or less at like a Shake Shack or even the big three burger chains sometimes. And hell White Castle has a lot of neat stuff for cheap albeit they insist on serving split up into multiple small burgs.

BrandorKP posted:

Jesus Christ here's what business give a poo poo about.

Is it cheaper or will it make us more money?
No, then don't automate it.
Yes, then automate.

The fact that all the chains with several thousand locations to have such machines placed in to save corporate $x per day don't do it should tell us a lot.

Main Paineframe posted:

The secret is that it's actually really really easy to cook a hamburger patty.

Put it on a hot griddle, flip it after a bit,, let it sit there for a couple more minutes, then put it on a bun. That's all.

It's so simple, in fact, that there's barely anything to even automate because there's so little human intervention. Even if you build a machine to automatically put the burger on the griddle, flip it, and take it off when it's done, you're not actually saving any time or effort, you're just moving it around. In other words, you replace "having a human slap a patty on the griddle" with "having a human put a patty in a machine that slaps it on the griddle"...

...except, of course, that it actually requires more work from the human, because placing burger patties into the machine is likely more complex than simply tossing them into an open spot on the griddle. That's not an unsolvable problem if you're doing industrial-scale food production or working with packaged/frozen burgers, but that doesn't exactly fit into the "bespoke artisanal robot restaurant using fresh local ingredients" concept we're discussing. And there's the problems of versatility, space utilization, and reliability too - the robot loses out to humans on all three.

Like I said, if an automatic burger cooker were viable in the restaurant space, it'd already be as commonplace. The question is this: what technological breakthrough in the last ten years makes robotic burger makers more viable than they were before?

This, exactly. There's a great reason burgers are one of the biggest fast food items: they're cheap and simple to make with minimal training to achieve that.

Even fancy bullshit burgers usually just consist of "stick some more poo poo in the middle" which doesn't require much more effort.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

The real innovation here is this means assholes can order food without worrying the disgruntled employees in the back will spit in it. Now it will have to be generalized and the employees will have to spit in the supply and thus spit in everyone's food instead, which health inspectors can more easily catch.

Is this why you think Uber making an automated Death Race 2000 machine means self-driving cars are just around the corner lol

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

fishmech posted:

Is this why you think Uber making an automated Death Race 2000 machine means self-driving cars are just around the corner lol

Never underestimate the market demand for people to be dicks to service people without fear of any consequences. There will always be a need for at least two human employee positions at every fast food franchise no matter how much automation advances: on-site manager, and designated customer punching-bag.

The especially cheap companies will stupidly attempt to combine the two roles.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Never underestimate the market demand for people to be dicks to service people without fear of any consequences. There will always be a need for at least two human employee positions at every fast food franchise no matter how much automation advances: on-site manager, and designated customer punching-bag.

The especially cheap companies will stupidly attempt to combine the two roles.

I mean your insane hatred and suspicion of other humans just seems to indicate why you think murdercars are actually a good thing for self driving cars being available, is all.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
personally i also think one of the reasons people might prefer a human cashier over a touchscreen is to run petty scams or to have targets for emotional abuse

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

fishmech posted:

I mean your insane hatred and suspicion of other humans just seems to indicate why you think murdercars are actually a good thing for self driving cars being available, is all.

If you've ever driven in a major metropolis for more than a day, you would probably understand better people like myself who think replacing all the human drivers (myself included) with robots would be an absolute net improvement, flaws in AI coding and all.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

If you've ever driven in a major metropolis for more than a day, you would probably understand better people like myself who think replacing all the human drivers (myself included) with robots would be an absolute net improvement, flaws in AI coding and all.

The cars are killing people and crashing frequently. They are doing bad for adoption unless all you actually want is more death.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

fishmech posted:

The cars are killing people and crashing frequently. They are doing bad for adoption unless all you actually want is more death.

If this is your metric then you should be in favor of full adoption today, they're killing people and crashing way less frequently than human drivers.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Main Paineframe posted:

Way to completely dodge the question: what breakthrough is responsible for this being viable now but not twenty years ago? Industrial robotic food preparation has been common for decades. Why is 1980s technology being hailed as a 21st-century breakthrough?

Are you asking what has changed between the 1980s and 2018 that would change a system of cameras, computers and digital sensors from a large industrial process to something that would be physically sized and priced for a small business?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ElCondemn posted:

If this is your metric then you should be in favor of full adoption today, they're killing people and crashing way less frequently than human drivers.

Cool, another death cultist. No, they're not doing it "way less frequently" at all. They are being used way less frequently and a very high percentage of them are being kept to restricted areas on top of that.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

fishmech posted:

Cool, another death cultist. No, they're not doing it "way less frequently" at all. They are being used way less frequently and a very high percentage of them are being kept to restricted areas on top of that.

How about you keep your accusations to yourself.

Over 70 percent of fatal crashes happen on roadways with speed limit of 55 mph or higher. Highways account for the majority of the miles autonomous cars have traveled. Of course they're used "less frequently", because there aren't a ton of them, but per capita their fatality rate is drastically better than human drivers. The point is that in terms of hours driven compared to human drivers computers are doing a much better job.

I'm just saying if this is the standard you are holding autonomous cars to then they've already surpassed your wildest dreams. Don't accuse me of poo poo, you're the one spouting nonsense.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

A ton of things. But they all pale in comparison to the biggest thing: Feasible broad-classification real-time computer vision. Computer vision has been used for decades, but until very recently it was only feasible in extremely narrow applications due to the immaturity of the technology and processing power restrictions. Now, tons of devices, both off-the-shelf and specialized are able to heavily utilize computer vision to do new tasks completely differently than they've been done in the past.

Lets clarify an important distinction since I think people aren't on the same page - it's not just cooking a patty, it's assembling an entire burger from all its constituent agreements. To a human this is a very simple task, but to do this in a fashion that can be done on-demand (not in a large and highly specified factory) and in a customizable way is a very large step for machines. Industrial robotic food preparation has been common for decades, but this is different. This step is still in the early phases (obviously), but it doesn't take a creative mind to see how close it is to really rapid adoption. It'll save a ton of money, which means it's inevitable.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Are you asking what has changed between the 1980s and 2018 that would change a system of cameras, computers and digital sensors from a large industrial process to something that would be physically sized and priced for a small business?

Cameras? Computers? Digital sensors? What the heck are you talking about? It's a conveyor belt that moves a burger patty through a special oven and under a bunch of condiment nozzles.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Taffer posted:

Lets clarify an important distinction since I think people aren't on the same page - it's not just cooking a patty, it's assembling an entire burger from all its constituent agreements. To a human this is a very simple task, but to do this in a fashion that can be done on-demand (not in a large and highly specified factory) and in a customizable way is a very large step for machines. Industrial robotic food preparation has been common for decades, but this is different. This step is still in the early phases (obviously), but it doesn't take a creative mind to see how close it is to really rapid adoption. It'll save a ton of money, which means it's inevitable.

the robot arm that can detect and flip a patty located in an arbitrary location on a grill is a much stronger example of this than the burger version of a conveyor belt that stops or doesn't at various predefined locations to collect onion, tomato, lettuce, sauce etc. there's nothing preventing this thing from being made in 1990 except that venture capital wasn't so desperately hungry for returns three decades ago. like the creator machine doesn't even need computer vision, the bun can be moved to the correct location just by stepping the belt back and forth a known distance. it is the simplest possible implementation of the tech

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Main Paineframe posted:

Cameras? Computers? Digital sensors? What the heck are you talking about? It's a conveyor belt that moves a burger patty through a special oven and under a bunch of condiment nozzles.

Well they put a bunch of computers and sensors and cameras in it and you should definitely patent this computerless version you have thought up before someone else does because you could undercut their business model a bunch.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
seriously a moderately bright middle schooler could think up the idea of a conveyor belt that moves a burger through an oven and between different stations. claiming that this idea is somehow unthinkably complicated and only possible with cutting edge research is, like, being perplexed as to how ancient people could build a pyramid. it's no more complex than a grocery store checkout

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

luxury handset posted:

seriously a moderately bright middle schooler could think up the idea of a conveyor belt that moves a burger through an oven and between different stations. claiming that this idea is somehow unthinkably complicated and only possible with cutting edge research is, like, being perplexed as to how ancient people could build a pyramid. it's no more complex than a grocery store checkout

Yes, that is why mass production of identical food by machines was a thing 20 years ago and why it's only more recently that that has evolved to the incremental next step of custom production of made to order food.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yes, that is why mass production of identical food by machines was a thing 20 years ago and why it's only more recently that that has evolved to the incremental next step of custom production of made to order food.

imagine an entire burger joint full of oocc types, bumping into each other on their segways, just completely in awe and bafflement at this alien concept of "cooking"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFKgP6cGEMM

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think that automated burger/fry/drink stations could still end up as a cheap-enough way for restaurants to establish footholds in areas where they don't want to commit a full restaurant or a food truck. E.g: wedding catering by Burger King, a beach rest area with seating provided by McDonald's, a little league game sponsored by Wendy's.

It wouldn't be a national game-changer but it'd be that much more competition to local places.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

RandomPauI posted:

I think that automated burger/fry/drink stations

have existed for decades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pboejsWb484

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akv4vSXa5a4

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ElCondemn posted:

Over 70 percent of fatal crashes happen on roadways with speed limit of 55 mph or higher. Highways account for the majority of the miles autonomous cars have traveled. Of course they're used "less frequently", because there aren't a ton of them, but per capita their fatality rate is drastically better than human drivers. The point is that in terms of hours driven compared to human drivers computers are doing a much better job.

I'm just saying if this is the standard you are holding autonomous cars to then they've already surpassed your wildest dreams. Don't accuse me of poo poo, you're the one spouting nonsense.

Stop promoting death if you don't want to be called a death cultist?

Self driving cars keep proving themselves deadly. They both have trouble driving themselves and massive problems handing control back over to the "passenger" when the self driving system realizes it can't handle something and tries to throw back. None of these vehicles are capable of a realistic use pattern for the mass public as is or in the forseeable future, so that hand-off issue is particularly salient. Their fatality rate is only better if you ignore the fact that most of their driving time is in vastly restricted scenarios for driving.

And you can keep pretending they're less deadly if you want, but they aren't. Just like OOCC can pretend that all computing is magic.

RandomPauI posted:

I think that automated burger/fry/drink stations could still end up as a cheap-enough way for restaurants to establish footholds in areas where they don't want to commit a full restaurant or a food truck. E.g: wedding catering by Burger King, a beach rest area with seating provided by McDonald's, a little league game sponsored by Wendy's.

It wouldn't be a national game-changer but it'd be that much more competition to local places.

I really think you're ignoring that those are introducing huge problems thanks to the fact the machines won't be in nicely measured, stable, and free of debris scenarios. The beach one sounds like it'll be particularly troublesome.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

How many decades exactly do you think this thing has been in use? The internet seems to indicate they started using this widely in 2014. That is hardly "decades" by any definition. That isn't even a half of a single decade. They hand filled them in the 90s.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

How many decades exactly do you think this thing has been in use? The internet seems to indicate they started using this widely in 2014. That is hardly "decades" by any definition. That isn't even a half of a single decade. They hand filled them in the 90s.

i guess computing technology just wasn't advanced enough to put cups into sockets and move them along a conveyor belt until 2014

maybe i'm just better at google than you are? earliest patent i could find for a system like this was filed in 1984

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 13, 2018

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

ElCondemn posted:

What exactly are you basing this on? From the fatality data we have right now, they are pretty comparable. And AV have an exceptionally small sample size which should be concerning if you really want to hang your hat on the idea we need to mass implement the half-baked solutions now en masse.

I'm sure you're not relying on Tesla's airbag deployed data... right?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

In the year 1947, the same year the transistor was invented, the Rudd-Melikian Company invented a vending machine which would automatically dispense a paper cup into the perfect place to fit under a nozzle, and then fill the cup with the appropriate volume of coffee using standard instant coffee and hot water. You had your coffee ready in in under 10 seconds from dropping the coin in the slot. By the 1950s there were hundreds of thousands of such devices deployed by many companies, worldwide. Extremely similar mechanisms were developed by that time to prepare other drinks, and offer multiple choices in the same machine in both drink dispensed and size of container. Things like dispensing measured portions of ice into drinks were also available.

Essentially you could have that machine on the counter there before any humans had exited Earth's atmosphere.

Raldikuk posted:

What exactly are you basing this on? From the fatality data we have right now, they are pretty comparable. And AV have an exceptionally small sample size which should be concerning if you really want to hang your hat on the idea we need to mass implement the half-baked solutions now en masse.

I'm sure you're not relying on Tesla's airbag deployed data... right?

Essentially it relies on counting a bunch of testing that had a dude with hands on the wheel actively paying attention the whole time, tests where there were multiple people in the vehicle observing (and thus simplifying some aspects of emergency handoff), mass amounts of tests on semi-closed courses like how Google/Waymo's vehicles had a lot of driving done only on extremely detailed mapped areas immediately around HQ, with limits on speed beyond the posted speed limits, etc.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 13, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fishmech posted:

In the year 1947, the same year the transistor was invented, the Rudd-Melikian Company invented a vending machine which would automatically dispense a paper cup into the perfect place to fit under a nozzle, and then fill the cup with the appropriate volume of coffee using standard instant coffee and hot water. You had your coffee ready in in under 10 seconds from dropping the coin in the slot. By the 1950s there were hundreds of thousands of such devices deployed by many companies, worldwide. Extremely similar mechanisms were developed by that time to prepare other drinks, and offer multiple choices in the same machine in both drink dispensed and size of container.

And yet mcdonalds didn't use the drink thing until 2014. And hide it in the back so it doesn't function as any type of tech bro specticle. How do you explain that? Other than the obvious that things slowly drop in price in increase in function until they fill more and more roles.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

And yet mcdonalds didn't use the drink thing until 2014. And hide it in the back so it doesn't function as any type of tech bro specticle. How do you explain that? Other than the obvious that things slowly drop in price in increase in function until they fill more and more roles.

McDonald's used automated dispensers before 2014, you're just oblivious.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

it wasn't economical to use widely before? or you're just bad at research. both of these possibilities are more likely than nobody thought of a way to move a cup under a spigot using a machine until nearly fifty years after man landed on the moon

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I see you've gone from "widely adopted" to "existed". Funny cuz you said the former to dismiss it being a thing that has existed for decades.

I've seen busier McDs using them since at least 2004 and the machine itself existed long before that.

Edit 1: Oh looky here, the McDs one specifically was patented in 1997.
Patent Info

Edit 2: oh hey and a similar device patented in 1990. more patent info :thunk:

Raldikuk fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 13, 2018

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So this seems to be a thing

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestechcouncil/2018/07/12/welcome-to-the-age-of-recruiting-automation/#1495c6591865

Welcome To The Age Of Recruiting Automation

quote:

As the hiring process has evolved from newspaper ads to job boards to social recruiting, the next wave of this industry is recruiting automation. Just as salespeople and marketers have benefited from software-enabled automation in recent years, recruiters are increasingly turning to automated mechanisms for hiring the best talent, and the industry is responding accordingly. From initial candidate sourcing to the final hiring decision, new technologies are coming to market quickly to address the latest hurdle. Today, the recruiting automation landscape encompasses nearly 70 different technologies, and we anticipate this number will only grow.

While many will sensationalize the notion of artificial intelligence (AI) by conjuring up images of witty robots and faceless companies, don't be fooled. Recruiting automation is designed to give recruiters a promotion, not replace them altogether. Employers are already adopting recruiting automation tools that do everything from source candidates to schedule interviews, screen applicants and even conduct background checks. The purpose is to give recruiters more time to be creative and strategic. Much like Salesforce and other sales automation tools did not render sales professionals obsolete, we anticipate a similar trajectory for recruiting automation.

Tasks like drafting an effective job description, which can be incredibly time consuming, can be automated as a machine learning tool can help predict how it will perform and offer tips to maximize the number of applicants. Hundreds of resumes can be prescreened by machine learning algorithms in order to sort out the best candidates. Once those candidates are identified, recruiters can create customized messages that are drafted ahead of time. Even screening and interviewing candidates can be automated with technologies that can analyze candidate voices for emotional cues and analyze recorded phone interviews that rank them in order to match the best candidates to the job.

Granted the author is the CEO of a company that specializes in automating the hiring process. But I wouldn't be surprised if this winds up being one more tool to disqualify minority populations in a way that indemnifies the employer.

Edit: Australia needs more data scientists they can fire more train conductors.

drunkill posted:

RIP train drivers, no longer needed.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/rio-tinto-sees-google-and-apple-as-competitors-for-its-future-workforce-20180713-p4zr9o.html

quote:

The warning came as Rio delivered iron ore using the world’s first ever long distance, heavy haul driverless train. 

The robotic train carried 28,000 tonnes of iron ore a distance of 280 kilometres from Rio’s Tom Price mine in Western Australia to the Pilbara port of Cape Lambert. Its journey was monitored from an operations centre more than 1500 kilometres away in Perth. 

The mining industry is undergoing a major technological shift, automating many of its processes and bringing more unmanned vehicles on to mines, however, it has found Australia lacks the number of workers it needs to make this change.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 13, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

I wonder why people are joyful at the thought of one of the few jobs left to people without training being automated away

I remember when I was doing lovely food service jobs I wasn’t thinking “gee I hope this gets automated away so the old guy with the crippled arm I work with dies on the streets”, I was thinking “I wish we had a better social safety net and better worker rights so this job wouldn’t suck so much and so old guy can retire”

Condiv fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jul 13, 2018

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I'm not joyful at the job losses themselves, and yeah I wish we had better safety nets/retraining programs for people.

I do enjoy technological progress as a whole, even though making some jobs obsolete is a somewhat common feature.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Cicero posted:

I'm not joyful at the job losses themselves, and yeah I wish we had better safety nets/retraining programs for people.

I do enjoy technological progress as a whole, even though making some jobs obsolete is a somewhat common feature.

Unfortunately, retraining programs are frequently scams on the level of Phoenix university and coding boot camps. Further, retraining doesn’t mean that jobs will suddenly be available for the new skillset, especially in the highly inefficient capitalist model.

While I would celebrate automation and it’s ability to free people of the drudgery of work they’d rather not do, our current system makes life near impossible for people who don’t or can’t work. A system where people could instead focus on art or science or whatever other passions they have would be nice, but we don’t live in it, so every job that is automated is just another group of people thrown into deeper poverty.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 13, 2018

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Well they put a bunch of computers and sensors and cameras in it and you should definitely patent this computerless version you have thought up before someone else does because you could undercut their business model a bunch.

I can't patent it, because prior art exists in the form of fifty-plus years of food factories using the exact same technology. There's no way that machine has even a single camera in it.

RandomPauI posted:

I can't imagine that a portable food factory is going to be significantly cheaper than a portable grill and a minifridge. The real cost of doing those things is not the labor but rather the logistics of doing them, particularly in a health-code-compliant way. One-off temporary setups mean you're operating outside of your usual restaurant infrastructure, which introduces significant difficulties in supply management and storage.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I think it’s a false dichotomy, we act like automation is destroying jobs but I really believe it creates jobs.

In my work I do a lot of automation, I’d say it’s like 90% of my job. Sure it means there are less of my role, but the work I do makes it possible for many more people to do things that used to take specialized skills to do.

I truly believe automation just gets rid of the poo poo parts of working and let’s people do the novel and interesting stuff.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

ElCondemn posted:

I think it’s a false dichotomy, we act like automation is destroying jobs but I really believe it creates jobs.

In my work I do a lot of automation, I’d say it’s like 90% of my job. Sure it means there are less of my role, but the work I do makes it possible for many more people to do things that used to take specialized skills to do.

I truly believe automation just gets rid of the poo poo parts of working and let’s people do the novel and interesting stuff.

This might be true in a perfect world, but our world is far from perfect.

Let’s look at the case of burger automation again. People aren’t choosing to do this job in lieu of more interesting or novel work, they’re doing it cause it’s all they’ve got. When you automate those jobs away, people don’t find more meaningful work without help. That means both competent non-scammy retraining programs and jobs programs that bring meaningful work to their areas. Without those two things, those people are not gonna find employment easily at all after their original jobs are automated away. Again, it’s not like they’re intentionally flipping burgers for a living, a lot of times it’s the only job in the area they can get.

Unfortunately, none of that’s in place in the US. Our system gladly leaves workers to rot once a company has no more need of them. You only need to look at the rust belt for proof of that. So yes, under our current systems, automation destroys jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Automation will definitely automate all the jobs away eventually, but it doesn't seem to be happening just yet. Unemployment is real low and all that.

Of course it's still lovely for the people who get laid off, even if they're able to eventually find another job.