Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
How has nobody posted the skit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2ND7sAClHo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
If I had to choose my CRISPR bonus I'd inject myself with powers to CRISPR anyone else from a distance

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Well if we're going all X-Men with it, then my CRISPR powers would be the power to reduce the temperature of fresh fruits and vegetables, and to keep them from spoiling for longer.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’d CRISPR my enemies so they just lose the genes that let them cum.

Like whoops I bump into you at the mall, now you can’t ever have an orgasm until someone cleaned your genes.

Whoops, you took too long at the gas station, *poke* now your lactose intolerant/color blind/ sickle cel

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

India already has a market for cosmetic products to lighten skin, it's not hard to imagine people over there taking the next step.

India ain't got nothin' on Sammy Sosa:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Dumb Lowtax posted:

If I had to choose my CRISPR bonus I'd inject myself with powers to CRISPR anyone else from a distance

CRISPR isn't a bonus, it's a series of stats that determine your bonuses;

C. harisma
R. esilliance
I. ntelligence
S. trength
P. erception
R. eflexes

When you're just starting out with it you won't have enough to max everything, you'll need to start with a specialization.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
There was also the "Evade" stat but the programmers forgot to make it affect any battle calculations so that explains why we didn't have CRISPER

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Dumb Lowtax posted:

There was also the "Evade" stat but the programmers forgot to make it affect any battle calculations so that explains why we didn't have CRISPER

Evasion is calculated using Intelligence, Perception, and Reflexes. Everyone knows that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

No that's actually a bug that causes physical evade to use the magic evade stat.

Of course since magic isn't real, it does nothing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Despite John Oliver's best efforts the last Alaska Blockbusters will close on july 16th.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Don't worry, there is still one in Oregon.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Hey, a new web episode got posted last week apparently
https://youtu.be/dFnN2toxFaY

Shame the thread title is a bit too long to fit

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Last Week Tonight: On This Show, Dogs gently caress; That's Canon

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Good segment on sexual harassment tonight.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
The one thing Anita Hill said that made me cringe was her response when Oliver said that some men were terrified to be alone with a woman (at the office, presumably), with the implication being that any accusation of impropriety during said alone time would be a he-said, she-said deal that would almost certainly end with the man's firing. Oliver wanted to know if they should be afraid of being in that situation.

"Not if they're not doing anything wrong" was Hill's ridiculous answer.

You'd think that a woman of color might know that not doing anything wrong isn't a reliable way to avoid being accused of doing something wrong that you didn't do.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That's a false equivalence. A pretty bad one. There is a big difference between the discrimination and bigotry which leads to the assumed guilt of people of color vs. the he-said, she-said stalemate occurring in a world where sexual assault and harassment are so prevalent and so pernicious.

Seriously, even if you are a responsible guy who is aware of and tries to be sensitive towards this issue, you're probably still less likely to be falsely accused than you are to actually commit some form of sexual harassment out of ignorance or negligence. poo poo is that pervasive.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 30, 2018

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Bingo

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm not so sure about that. False reports to HR are so common that I've spent years finagling myself out and away from corporate culture. I've seen enough peoples' lives damaged by it to be on the side of "lol, like innocence is enough?"

It seems like everything from oversensitivity to attention-seeking to office politics to simple axes to grind. It may have been a false equivalency to racism, but it also simply happens way, way too much.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
Like most of the more flat-out horrible topics the show covers, this one was somewhat tough to watch given how frustrating and how sad it all is. Anita Hill's segment was a refreshing break from that; she came off charming and witty. I'm glad the show returned to the US after a string of weaker episodes on foreign policy/culture.

I can understand why a lot of men feel uncomfortable with the changing times, given the fact that our television shows and movies and songs all regularly glamorize the exact sort of behavior that is finally, rightfully being called out and it's very much how a lot of men were taught to behave, but the correct response to "I'm afraid to be alone with a woman" is a big fat eye roll.

Propaganda Machine posted:

False reports to HR are so common that I've spent years finagling myself out and away from corporate culture. I've seen enough peoples' lives damaged by it to be on the side of "lol, like innocence is enough?"

It may have been a false equivalency to racism, but it also simply happens way, way too much.

That was not at all my experience working in corporate offices and quite frankly I do not believe that, on a larger scale than your experiences, false accusations of harassment are a remotely common occurrence. Feel free to lay down some numbers to prove that claim, but it sure seems like confirmation bias at best and exactly-the-problem misogyny at worst

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

That was not at all my experience working in corporate offices and quite frankly I do not believe that, on a larger scale than your experiences, false accusations of harassment are a remotely common occurrence. Feel free to lay down some numbers to prove that claim, but it sure seems like confirmation bias at best and exactly-the-problem misogyny at worst

I'd like to respond with a "feel free to lay down some numbers to prove that claim, but it sure seems like confirmation bias at best and exactly-the-problem misogyny at worst" myself. There's a reason why a lot of teachers put a ridiculous amount of effort into never being alone with a student. A false claim can and will ruin their careers and possibly personal lives unless they're constantly proactive when it comes to protecting themselves rather than being reactive.

And if you think that it's only restricted to education situations and doesn't extend to all other professional situations, then you're a loving idiot. It's also one of the reasons why if staff end up having to have a meeting with management/hr at any competent workplace for any reason there will pretty much always be at least three people in the meeting at the time.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Tornhelm posted:

I'd like to respond with a "feel free to lay down some numbers to prove that claim, but it sure seems like confirmation bias at best and exactly-the-problem misogyny at worst" myself. There's a reason why a lot of teachers put a ridiculous amount of effort into never being alone with a student. A false claim can and will ruin their careers and possibly personal lives unless they're constantly proactive when it comes to protecting themselves rather than being reactive.

And if you think that it's only restricted to education situations and doesn't extend to all other professional situations, then you're a loving idiot. It's also one of the reasons why if staff end up having to have a meeting with management/hr at any competent workplace for any reason there will pretty much always be at least three people in the meeting at the time.

I’ve worked in corporate IT at many different companies for 18 years and regularly had one on one meetings with management and HR.

False accusations are more common with educators because kids make poo poo up all the time. My kid tells me a dinosaur bit her and now she needs a band aid nearly three times a week. If she said something that sounded a bit less made up like “my teacher touched me on my butt” I’d take it seriously and follow up on it. It makes sense for educators to head that off before it happens.

“But, but, but, false accusations!” in regards to adults is the cry of someone that knows they have been doing something wrong or someone that buys into the narrative that women are out to ruin men.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 30, 2018

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

A bit irritating that after taking that dig at Facebook, the official LWT Facebook page is still active.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

GutBomb posted:

I’ve worked in corporate IT at many different companies for 18 years and regularly had one on one meetings with management and HR.

False accusations are more common with educators because kids make poo poo up all the time. My kid tells me a dinosaur bit her and now she needs a band aid nearly three times a week. If she said something that sounded a bit less made up like “my teacher touched me on my butt” I’d take it seriously and follow up on it. It makes sense for educators to head that off before it happens.

“But, but, but, false accusations!” in regards to adults is the cry of someone that knows they have been doing something wrong or someone that buys into the narrative that women are out to ruin men.

It's in no way related to the age or sex of the students - its just as likely, if not more likely for it to happen when the students are adults.

"False accusations" isn't the cry of adults who know they've been doing something wrong, its the cry of adults who know how hosed up the situation can get if they're put in that position. I've seen both males and females have their lives ruined due to false accusations and that poo poo tends to stick with you, especially because prosecutions usually fail due to lack of evidence (see Ed Westwick as the latest example of that) rather than actually being exonerated - because its common for people to see "lack of evidence" as being guilty but getting away with it, rather than it possibly being because they were innocent in the first place.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Tornhelm posted:

It's in no way related to the age or sex of the students - its just as likely, if not more likely for it to happen when the students are adults.

"False accusations" isn't the cry of adults who know they've been doing something wrong, its the cry of adults who know how hosed up the situation can get if they're put in that position. I've seen both males and females have their lives ruined due to false accusations and that poo poo tends to stick with you, especially because prosecutions usually fail due to lack of evidence (see Ed Westwick as the latest example of that) rather than actually being exonerated - because its common for people to see "lack of evidence" as being guilty but getting away with it, rather than it possibly being because they were innocent in the first place.

I’m really glad I don’t live in your world where people are just out to get each other all the time. Are you living in a soap opera?

I’m with Anita. If you’re not doing anything wrong you’re fine.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
here's my ~valuable anecdotal observation~ as a labor lawyer specializing in internal investigations of harassment and discrimination: about half the complaints I investigate are unsubstantiated. about half of those are provably false/eventually retracted by the complainant. put another way roughly 215% of the harassment complaints I investigate are false. well, peace

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 30, 2018

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Soothing Vapors posted:

here's my ~valuable anecdotal observation~ as a labor lawyer specializing in internal investigations of harassment and discrimination: about half the complaints I investigate are unsubstantiated. about half of those are provably false/eventually retracted by the complainant. put another way roughly 25% of the harassment complaints I investigate are false. well, peace

Unsubstantiated or eventually retracted do not mean false.

Did you guys even watch the show? A big theme of the whole segment was how the concern for the accused is at best misplaced and incredibly disingenuous.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 30, 2018

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
I just want to be clear about what I said a few posts back: I am not attempting to draw an equivalency between what a person of color may go through when confronted by the police and what a male office worker may go through while alone with a female colleague. My point was that as a black woman, I would expect Anita Hill to have enough experience with (or at least knowledge of) the former issue that it would be hard to use the kind of "if you're innocent, you never have anything to worry about!" logic regarding the latter issue.

To reiterate: being a black person who is confronted by police is not, in my mind, the same thing as being a man who finds himself alone with a woman at the office during work hours. But, if you're a black person living in American society who is analyzing whether or not men should be concerned about working alone with a woman in today's corporate and litigious culture, I'd think that "innocent people don't have anything to worry about" would probably be the last thing you'd think of when trying to tell men that they shouldn't be concerned if they're not planning on doing any harassing. And the reason it'd be the last thing isn't because institutional racism is the same thing as being alone with someone of the opposite sex; it's because your life experiences should have beaten the "innocents don't have to worry about being accused of wrongdoing in America" nonsense out of your head by the time you were a teenager.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

GutBomb posted:

Did you guys even watch the show? A big theme of the whole segment was how the concern for the accused is at best misplaced and incredibly disingenuous.

Judging by post histories they don't really come out to say much except for right now, and then when each poster who feels the need to come by to vent this specific opinion at once does so in multiple posts it looks like there's more people saying it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I am a teacher who works with adult students and yeah, if someone made a false accusation it could ruin me.

At the same time though, look at the numbers. Even the most hardcore of the "women are liars and will try to ruin you" folk fall back on stuff like alleging a quarter of reports are fake/unsubstantiated. The flip side of that is that in an alleged situation, 75% of the time someone like me is likely to be the wrongdoer.

That being the case, if a student trusts me enough to chat 1 on 1 I'm not going to insist on a third party witness. Trust has to go both ways.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GutBomb posted:

I’m really glad I don’t live in your world where people are just out to get each other all the time.

I want your coworkers.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I'm a teacher too and I feel that if you are keeping your side of the street clean and not doing questionable things regularly your reaction to a complaint is going to be support, not hostility, and when people who know and trust you see your reaction plus hear any outright falsehoods corrected they're going to be pretty understanding of your role in the situation. It's not like the crowd was going to believe the accuser anyway by default, if the show we are watching has a point at all and means anything.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

GutBomb posted:

Yes, I'm aware that unsubstantiated does not mean false, which is why I did not describe unsubstantiated claims as false. Claims that are admittedly false or provably false, however, are false, which are claims I described as false.

Here is an example of a provably false claim, with minor details fudged for obvious reasons: in a recent investigation an employee and his male supervisor got into a fist fight on the factory floor. The employee claimed it was justifiable self-defense, because his supervisor grabbed his rear end and genitals and made a comment about wanting to gently caress him. There was a camera on the shop floor that I think the employee assumed they were in the blind spot of; he was wrong. I was able to use the video to demonstrate that the employee's claims about sexual assault were provably false. I was not able to prove that the claim about the supervisor making sexually harassing comments were false, because there was no audio and there were no witnesses; that claim was unsubstantiated.

I just did a quick count looking at my last 15 investigations though, and only 2/15 contained provably/admittedly false accusations, so my 25% number was off. Those ones stick in my mind longer, I guess.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

tarlibone posted:

I just want to be clear about what I said a few posts back: I am not attempting to draw an equivalency between what a person of color may go through when confronted by the police and what a male office worker may go through while alone with a female colleague.

Obviously, if you're talking about the Bill O'Reillys of the world, that comparison is inappropriate. But this could actually be a fairly literal equivalency...black men facing unjust scrutiny for perceived sexual advances is also a historically precedented thing. Everything has an intersectional component, the politics of sexual harassment included.

So, in that sense, I agree with your point. "If you're innocent, you have nothing to fear," is pretty dogmatic. But obviously Anita Hill's context is one where powerful men who *clearly* engage in grotesque behavior are able to gaslight their way to innocence all the time. So, you know, it makes sense she'd say it that way. It's true in most circumstances.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Here's a thing that always sticks out to me with a lot of the people going "where's the line?"

How about: Don't loving touch people. Just as a start. Maybe just don't touch people? Like that seems pretty easy to do. If you see a woman you don't know, or don't know very well, maybe just like... don't touch her?

We can work on things like general demeanor towards female co-workers down the line, but it seems like a large number of men are failing at even this basic level of understanding.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It feels like one of those things that society should've figured out a long time ago, but I guess it didn't, so here we are. It's certainly possible to make false accusations, but public perceptions and society's values will never change if everybody dismisses it every time. It feels like a kindegartener getting angry because nobody told him you need to go to the bathroom to poop.

Doesn't help that this scenario of a woman falsely accusing, successfully tanking a man's career and making out like a bandit with oodles of cash seems almost entirely hypothetical.

Incidentally, I don't know what incidents John Oliver might've been witness to that he's ashamed about, but one of his former workplaces was literally criminal, so he definitely has something to be ashamed of. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJlXXvSFyUU

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
Claims are what need proof and numbers, my dude. You cannot prove a negative, and if you are going to claim something happens regularly the burden of proof is on you.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Here's a thing that always sticks out to me with a lot of the people going "where's the line?"

How about : Don't loving touch people. Just as a start. Maybe just don't touch people? Like that seems pretty easy to do. If you see a woman you don't know, or don't know very well, maybe just like... don't touch her?

We can work on things like general demeanor towards female co-workers down the line, but it seems like a large number of men are failing at even this basic level of understanding.

Yeah, it's really not that hard. If you're ever in a position where you're uncertain whether something you're about to do might be inappropriate, just... don't. Just err on the side of caution. The issue is not that the "rules" are in any way complex, it's that some men just feel entitled to women's bodies and get incredibly touchy when told that they're not.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Once my girlfriend at the time applied for a job in an office and passed the interview. I dropped her off on her first day and made it like an hour back into the city before she called me crying to say to come pick her up.

Apparently the last secretary quit because the IT guy kept saying creepy poo poo to her and she complained and they told her to scram. Well, as the manager went around introducing her to everyone, the IT guy apparently pulled the manager aside and said “Nope, too pretty, I’m worried the same thing will happen.” so they told my girlfriend, whom they had just hired, that it wasn’t going to work out.

This was 2013-2014, I was 25, she was 27, and we were living in a 1-room studio apartment with a dog and a cat off of my meager $650 a week. We knew it was hosed up, we knew it was unfair, and we felt like we had absolutely no recourse. We couldn’t wrap our heads around firing the women for being pretty and not firing the IT director for being a huge creep, but that they were so plaintive about it, just “Yeah Mark is just concerned you’ll be a distraction in the workplace, sorry for your time.”

Here’s an important question to ask yourself for any interaction with another employee: “Would act/behave/talk this way if my EMPLOYER were in the room observing? If the answer is NO, don’t act that way even if they aren’t around and maybe save it for the bar after work. Even if you have feelings/affection/attraction to a co-worker, THE WORKPLACE is the absolute worst place to express those feelings. If you want a private moment to discuss those things, invite them out for a drink or a meal. If they decline, guess what, you just saved yourself from a potentially volatile work environment!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

How about : Don't loving touch people. Just as a start. Maybe just don't touch people? Like that seems pretty easy to do. If you see a woman you don't know, or don't know very well, maybe just like... don't touch her?

Then you get weirdos like Louis CK thinking he did nothing wrong because he asked permission as he whipped out his dick.

I don't really have a point, I just fundamentally do not understand this sort of behavior. I'd almost like to hear some of these dudes lay it out, if they even can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

In Louis CK's case, it was clearly him knowing drat well it was wrong, but the impulse was strong enough that only overt negation would dissuade him. More generally, dudes in our culture are accustomed to swinging our dicks around, metaphorically—or not, depending. We're raised and live in a world that allows, and even encourages us to be reckless and uninhibited with our sexuality. If something goes awry, there's rarely any harm or consequence for us. It's hard to imagine a better environment for breeding a carelessness lack of consideration, and that's without even taking into account how our culture treats women.

"Afraid to be around a woman because they might give the wrong impression" is a dog-whistle for "I know I'm a misogynist, and I don't trust myself to keep it in check."

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 31, 2018

• Locked thread