Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Clanpot Shake posted:

Badge and event tickets arrived in the mail today, guess I really am going to gencon :toot:

Yeah, I got mine yesterday and had a brief moment of panic when I saw how few event tickets I had. Then I realized that they're moving towards scanning your badge for some events. (I know Super Robo Rally is doing that this year, and they're the most important event of Gen Con by far.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

OgreNoah posted:

I mostly play Pathfinder and browse the dealer hall now, but I just went to Origins and my favorite standout thing is the Indies on Demand room, where they do Indie RPGs all the time. It's a ton of fun and you can get in on some really interesting 4 hour games. My friend and I got to play Dogs inthe Vineyard where you essentially play Mormon wandering sheriffs in a post- Civil War Utah with supernatural occurrences, it was so much fun.

That's a thing at GenCon too and yeah, it's awesome.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yeah, I got mine yesterday and had a brief moment of panic when I saw how few event tickets I had. Then I realized that they're moving towards scanning your badge for some events. (I know Super Robo Rally is doing that this year, and they're the most important event of Gen Con by far.)

I got some Super Robo Rally tickets, too, and I'm pretty pumped. I've spent a little time watching it every year I've been to Gen Con.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Sarkeesian panel is here:

https://www.gencon.com/events/144146

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Ilor posted:

They must be, my wife already scored a couple for us. It's Thursday night from 8:00-9:00 PM, if that helps you find it in the schedule.

Found it and got a ticket! Thanks!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Well I hosed up and waited too long to figure out parking. The last 4 day pass sold out between the time I clicked it and hit buy, and ParkWhiz is sold out. Are there any other suggestions for nearby parking? Lyft is also an option but our hotel is 16 minutes away. The Lyft page estimates $12-16 a run but I guarantee it'll be higher for GenCon.

EDIT: Someone cancelled I guess! Snagged a Thursday-Sunday pass. Still need something for Wednesday but we can probably Lyft/Uber for that.

EDIT EDIT: Am I just missing them or are there no things like "Intro to Drawing" type events? I've seen all kinds of other art stuff.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 8, 2018

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Well I hosed up and waited too long to figure out parking. The last 4 day pass sold out between the time I clicked it and hit buy, and ParkWhiz is sold out. Are there any other suggestions for nearby parking? Lyft is also an option but our hotel is 16 minutes away. The Lyft page estimates $12-16 a run but I guarantee it'll be higher for GenCon.

EDIT: Someone cancelled I guess! Snagged a Thursday-Sunday pass. Still need something for Wednesday but we can probably Lyft/Uber for that.

EDIT EDIT: Am I just missing them or are there no things like "Intro to Drawing" type events? I've seen all kinds of other art stuff.

For anyone else looking for parking, I just order through SpotHero each year and have been very happy with that.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Just part at the Stadium.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Just park behind the stadium for free

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

just park inside the stadium for freedom

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Can I just make an "Official Stadium Business" decal for my car?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
LIBER PARCO POST COLISEUM

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Are there any Wisconsin/Illinois goons that are driving and have some spare room in their vehicle? My travel plans have changed significantly and it looks like I will be in the Madison/Northern Illinois area right before Gencon. I have family who would drive me 1-2 hours to get me to a carpool if necessary. PM me or hit me up on groupme?

E: i tried quarex but the madman is driving down on monday jeez

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
It's not ideal but if you don't find anyone it looks like you can take the megabus from Chicago to Indianapolis on Wednesday for about $25.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Amtrak also does Chicago to Indy for $22 but it's like 6pm-midnight. $53 to catch a train from Milwaukee and connect in Chicago.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Oh right, mass transit. I forget that it exists because its so bad out here in rural PA. I’d still prefer a ride, but those are solid backup plans, thanks!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I forgot to mention, I only need a ride one-way to Indy, I already have arrangements to go home from there. I won’t have more than a carry-on of luggage.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

If you can make it to Chicago, I wouldn't mind taking you the rest of the way.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Wednesday is pretty vacant, so parking might be cheaper that day. Otherwise expect about 22-30 / day parking. Uber/Lyft ran about $20 each way from an airport hotel about 10 mins away? We just parked, it was cheaper. I snagged one of those $10 passes this year. It's too bad the Uber pricing isn't like Vegas, it's literally $5 to go anywhere.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Philthy posted:

Wednesday is pretty vacant, so parking might be cheaper that day. Otherwise expect about 22-30 / day parking. Uber/Lyft ran about $20 each way from an airport hotel about 10 mins away? We just parked, it was cheaper. I snagged one of those $10 passes this year. It's too bad the Uber pricing isn't like Vegas, it's literally $5 to go anywhere.

The lots around Lucas Oil are 10/day or you can get a weekend pass for $30-35 I think. These aren't the official lots but they are staffed and safe and it's 2 blocks to the vendor hall.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

If you can make it to Chicago, I wouldn't mind taking you the rest of the way.

Thanks!! PM’d you

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Bottom Liner posted:

The lots around Lucas Oil are 10/day

IIRC, they jumped up to $20/day last year

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
So, last year was my first GenCon, and I took the wife and kid (4 years old) meaning we didn't really get the full experience out of it. That being said, we still enjoyed it, and plan to show up again this year, once again with kid in tow, although we wisely decided to leave the newborn at home with family.

Basically, my wife and I agreed that this is going to be 1 of 2 annual geek-oriented family events we attend (ComicCon St.Louis being the other). This is a bit of a concession on both our parts since we know full well small children simply can't handle these events. We were once again rather slow on getting prepared, simply because the family/kid-oriented nature of our visit prevents us from really participating in as many events as we would like to attend.

I am curious if any other goons have advice on their experience hauling their families to GenCon, and how we can better prepare in the future.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
My completely worthless advice would be to go back in time and pull out.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Hand them off to the slime handlers (or whatever the childcare service at gen con is called, I forget) and enjoy the convention!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Trustworthy posted:

IIRC, they jumped up to $20/day last year

Do you need to reserve them ahead of time?

Fellis posted:

Thanks!! PM’d you

I sent a response. Send a confirmation, also if you're on the GroupMe we should set up a private channel.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Another day, another Anita Sarkeesian freakout thread on the Fans of GenCon facebook group. I don't know what it is about her that makes dudes so terrified.

Edit: I absolutely know what it is. Men who were raised on a steady diet of male power fantasies who incorporated said power fantasies deeply into their own self-identity are being told that "hey, that thing you like is kind of hosed up, bro"

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
This thread is much better than the last 2. Far fewer people jumping in to complain about her and they are mostly getting dog piled on. We'll see if that changes now though that some moron decided to use the gamergate hashtag.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hey we're getting close! Time for me to start planning my weekend and set up some goon games. Here's what I'm looking to bring and play, as we get closer and I can gauge interest I'll compile an actual schedule. Quote this or message me on Groupme if you're interested.

Food Chain Magnate (4p)

Dominant Species (4-6p)

Arcadia Quest (4p)

Keyflower (4-5p)

The Colonists (4p)

Arkham LCG (Carcosa campaign 2-4p)

Kemet (4-5p)

Gaia Project (4p)

Import/Export (3-5p)

Star Wars: The Gathering cube draft (4-6p) - https://www.starwarsthegathering.com/

I'll also have a lot of small games in my backpack for random games throughout the weekend but this is the stuff I really want to do.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 19, 2018

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

I sent a response. Send a confirmation, also if you're on the GroupMe we should set up a private channel.

Sent, I hit you up on groupme also.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Hey we're getting close! Time for me to start planning my weekend and set up some goon games. Here's what I'm looking to bring and play, as we get closer and I can gauge interest I'll compile an actual schedule. Quote this or message me on Groupme if you're interested.

Food Chain Magnate (4p)

Dominant Species (4-6p)

I'll also have a lot of small games in my backpack for random games throughout the weekend but this is the stuff I really want to do.

These two I'm interested in!

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

Food Chain Magnate (4p)

Star Wars: The Gathering cube draft (4-6p) - https://www.starwarsthegathering.com/

I'm interested in these. I plan on jumping on the Groupme closer to the con, probably next week.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Bottom Liner posted:

Hey we're getting close! Time for me to start planning my weekend and set up some goon games.

I'd really like to try Food Chain Magnate if space and scheduling permit. Sounds like it's in high demand though.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Food Chain Magnate (4p)

Dominant Species (4-6p)

Keyflower (4-5p)

I haven't played these, but would love to. I know my SO would be interested in FCM as well.

quote:

Kemet (4-5p)

I am very down.

quote:

I'm not familiar with this but love to draft, so

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Bottom Liner posted:

Food Chain Magnate (4p)

Dominant Species (4-6p)

Keyflower (4-5p)

Gaia Project (4p)

Import/Export (3-5p)

I am down like gently caress for these. Only ever played Dominant Species like 3 years ago, but i'm also a quick learner. And that's what life is all about.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Gaia Project (4p)

Import/Export (3-5p)

Yes please.

Also someone PLEASE bring sidereal confluence to gencon.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
At this point I'm sure it's a given, but I will be bringing Fiasco for some goon shenanigans.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Bottom Liner posted:

Food Chain Magnate (4p)

Dominant Species (4-6p)

Arcadia Quest (4p)

Keyflower (4-5p)

The Colonists (4p)

Kemet (4-5p)

Gaia Project (4p)

Import/Export (3-5p)

I'm interested in trying any of these

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug
I would definitely be interested in trying Kemet or Gaia Project.

Also, I just ran Sailors on the Starless Sea (Dungeon Crawl Classic level 0 funnel oneshot) for friends and will bring that and a stack of pregen characters if people want to try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Hey, if anyone is looking for a hotel room, I just canceled our backup reservation with Crowne Plaza (I managed to get a room in the vendor block, of all things). It's not part of the normal housing block, so it's eyewateringly expensive, but if you need a room it's there.