Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I don't know why I find:

A Dragon Demon Apparently posted:

I walked up to the bar dressed to kill. I wore cargo pants

As funny as I do. Should have been combat jorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Dracula wants his coffin back.

what's he sleeping in while it's gone, poor dracula :(

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Qwertycoatl posted:

Why does he need to have a magic tattoo to punch himself in the balls and yell at a woman?

The tattoo is in case he needs a high-pitched yell.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

RoboRodent posted:

"I need to work on my people skills."
Two seconds later: "Shut the gently caress up, frightened pathetic girls who don't want to die!"

Seriously, the way he describes the women makes my skin crawl.
I suspect that the author is actually a woman taking the piss. That prose reads like the "describe yourself as if you were a male author" Twitter thing from a couple months back.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

"I activated my Dragon Roar Tattoo."

That phrase has been cracking me up all day.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lumbermouth posted:

This is like Sandman Slim minus the modicum of self-awareness.

Heroin

Yeah, I was going to say, it reads like a bad parody of Sandman Slim.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, I was going to say, it reads like a bad parody of Sandman Slim.

Or Dungeons & Dragons fanfic.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

spite house posted:

I suspect that the author is actually a woman taking the piss. That prose reads like the "describe yourself as if you were a male author" Twitter thing from a couple months back.

Whatever the reverse of Poe's law is I think, I mean it all seems too on the nose to be a parody combined with all the other stuff the author has written. And the bio says he's a guy who immigrated to the US from Brazil.
http://www.morgan-blayde.com/books

quote:

The Old Man's in Las Vegas and Caine is going to give him a bachelor party despite relentless murder attempts by a shadow sorcerer. Caine’s magic is crippled, leaving him vulnerable to enemies, and at the mercy of his scheming harem. The silver dragons are after him. So are the mysterious Villagers. And then there’s the nine-year-old dragon-boy from the future. Caine dares to face the ultimate horror—fatherhood—while battling to escape the jaws of hell.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

C.M. Kruger posted:

Whatever the reverse of Poe's law is I think, I mean it all seems too on the nose to be a parody combined with all the other stuff the author has written. And the bio says he's a guy who immigrated to the US from Brazil.
http://www.morgan-blayde.com/books

I mean, that’s still Poe’s law, which is just about parody and the genuine article being indistinguishable. It’s just that this time it’s probably the genuine article.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

food court bailiff posted:

"I activated my Dragon Roar Tattoo."

That phrase has been cracking me up all day.

Uli would turn his nose up 48o at this writing.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

F'n Hell, that's book four of nine

And all have colors in their titles

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Years ago, Penny Arcade did a comic that was basically about this very book before it apparently existed.

I was always a little surprised that they didn't actually write the book because it seemed like the only kind of book that the writing half of Penny Arcade could probably really do.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
That's supposed to be a (good) jab at the Dresden files, right?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

ryonguy posted:

That's supposed to be a (good) jab at the Dresden files, right?

Can't be, it's written in the third person. All good (bad) Men's Adventure has to be first person.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Am I wrong in thinking White Jade Reaper is a pretty neat title?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cornwind Evil posted:

It sounds like you could pull it out of an Exalted sourcebook

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

God I missed this thread. I bought Steven Seagal's book and never got around to reading it. Now it sits in my Kindle, mocking me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC, there's a running theme that L.H. Franzibald is a skewering of Tim Buckley, though might just be used for bad fiction in general.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
lol at the PA guys calling other writers bad

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

lol at the PA guys calling other writers bad

There's a difference between mediocre video game jokes and the godawful poo poo series that get pumped out in the fantasy section of the bookstore. PA only wishes it could be as awful.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cornwind Evil posted:

Yes. Yes, you are.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Xarbala posted:

It sounds like you could pull it out of an Exalted sourcebook

it sounds like a weed strain

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC, there's a running theme that L.H. Franzibald is a skewering of Tim Buckley, though might just be used for bad fiction in general.

10+ CAD mock threads definitely confirmed this theory, Franzibald is absolutely Buckers and any occurrence of him is usually timed with B^U doing something particularly inane

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The Penny Arcade guys suck and 90% of their comic is bad but I will never stop finding the this series of strips kinda funny https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/01/23/further-songs-of-sorcelation-part-four

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

InediblePenguin posted:

it sounds like a weed strain

So, yes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

To be honest, all this cheesy fantasy stuff they ruthlessly mock seems to just be the Western version of anime.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Contributing to the derail! Penny Arcade had their day in the sun a decade (or two) ago, but the humor's rarely there anymore and I read it more out of a habit. The writer commented once about how he was having up&down psych issues back then, producing great work, but ruining his life. He's now medicated and admits his stuff is weaker. It's been literally twenty years running, it's not surprising that things have changed, both for the audience's tastes and the creators tendencies.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Some of the side stories are interesting. You can definitely tell a running theme of parental anxiety.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Serephina posted:

Contributing to the derail! Penny Arcade had their day in the sun a decade (or two) ago, but the humor's rarely there anymore and I read it more out of a habit. The writer commented once about how he was having up&down psych issues back then, producing great work, but ruining his life. He's now medicated and admits his stuff is weaker. It's been literally twenty years running, it's not surprising that things have changed, both for the audience's tastes and the creators tendencies.

Goons think they have to automatically hate PA because of some stupid feud Lowtax had with them back in the day. But I think you're right. I read it entirely out of habit these days. It's fine, but only fine. The humour has changed, and not necessarily for the better.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
PA's current art style is pretty loving ugly.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It's better now than the pile of melty wackiness that it was for a few years.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I'd read a Da Sharez0ne book.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sweevo posted:

Goons think they have to automatically hate PA because of some stupid feud Lowtax had with them back in the day. But I think you're right. I read it entirely out of habit these days. It's fine, but only fine. The humour has changed, and not necessarily for the better.

I think there are plenty of reasons to dislike current PA that have nothing to do with goon hivemind. I genuinely liked it back in the day and think most of the peak stuff holds up reasonably well, but I haven't read it in like 5 years and that was already several years after it stopped entertaining me.

EDIT: man I always forget how long PA was sucking. I keep thinking of 2007-2009 as being peak PA but I just went and clicked on a few random strips and it was already downhill by then, although still a ways from rock bottom.

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 15:16 on Jul 17, 2018

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I don’t like it because the writer guy said he didn’t like Undertale :colbert:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
something something not giving the proper obesquiences or whatever

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
oh hai thread! Did all books become good for the last three months? Surely not!

Fortunately, I'm here to remind you that everything's not just terrible, but weirdly terrible. I dredged the wasteland of Kindle Unlimited books about bitcoins - because I hate myself - and I found this.

"99 Bitcoins and an Elephant" is a book for children about the world of bitcoins in 2028!

Obviously, it's going to be frankly bizarre. It thinks it's a book that is literally, in fact, for children - not a satire of the present in the form of a children's book, like "The Ladybird Book of the Zombie Apocalypse". I was honestly wondering if the elephant was going to be demonstrating the horrible things that can happen if you allow yourself to be socially engineered. And what about a Monero necklace doesn't scream "I'm from the darknets, and I'm here to skin you."

The author is convinced he's telling the kids about the fabulous future world, that's coming just a decade away!

It's not the book it thinks it is. Shiny kiddy cartoons of a dark cyberpunk world, where bitcoiners' dreams of a grim meathook Mad Max petrolpunk world have come true. Everything actually sucks and is broken, but everyone from early childhood wears VR/AR glasses everywhere, all the time, to make the world look less broken and sucky. Then the glasses break, and you get the picture below, which could have been ripped from the pages of "My First Charlie Stross":

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

so in this world does your head shrink as you grow up or what

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
In the future all work will be done behind dumpsters

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GIRL BRAINS posted:

In the future all work will be done behind dumpsters

Something something your mother.