Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

radlum posted:

Siege was amazing, Thors was pretty good too.

I'm liking the current Quicksilver series but now I'm confused. What's the deal with his and Wanda's origins? What is their relationship to Magneto now? Is Polaris still Magneto's daughter or was that retconned too?

Don't worry, it's all pretty simple: the Whizzer is their dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

TwoPair posted:

I'm still mad that Star Lord and Kitty Pryde ends with them finding Rocket Raccoon's tail and Star Lord asking if there's any cloning place around, then when he shows up at the climax of Secret Wars, he's not accompanied by an army of Rockets.

He didn't need an army of Rockets, he had a toothpick. Say hello to my little friend.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thaddius the Large posted:

Morbid curiosity, I picked up the Secret Wars collection on a whim, are any of the tie-ins worth it? Last Days, Battleworld, War Zones, etc?

Inferno and X-Men '92 were aces.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Personally I can't think of a sw battleworld book that was actively not worth reading those were actually what got me to read comics in general again, except maybe that one X-Men book where everyone was super old and the art was loving ugly as hell,

I definitely recommend modok assassin, Angela, Thors, siege, X-Men 92, a force, ghost riders, ummm just all of them

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

site posted:

Personally I can't think of a sw battleworld book that was actively not worth reading those were actually what got me to read comics in general again, except maybe that one X-Men book where everyone was super old and the art was loving ugly as hell,

I definitely recommend modok assassin, Angela, Thors, siege, X-Men 92, a force, ghost riders, ummm just all of them

I agree w this post and the specific recs, almost all the Battleworld titles were worth reading. They were all fun and really leaning into crazy creative freedom.

My personal favs list would have Inhumans: Attilan Rising, Hank Johnson: Agent of Hydra, 1602: Witch Hunter Angela, and Weirdworld as well

The Red Skull book sucked though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The secret wars: secret love one shot was real good too

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

site posted:

How dare you talk poo poo about Ramon Villalobos

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What do you want me to say, i thought the art was awful :shrug:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lightning Lord posted:

How dare you talk poo poo about Ramon Villalobos

site posted:

What do you want me to say, i thought the art was awful :shrug:

Even if you love Ramon's style you have to know that it is very much not something for everyone. There's some art that you sit there and actually wonder why someone else wouldn't at least like it. Ramon's art is a style that is not for everyone. And that's great! The more art styles the better. It wasn't my cup of tea but I'm glad a style so unique is given the chance to be on a book like that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

Even if you love Ramon's style you have to know that it is very much not something for everyone. There's some art that you sit there and actually wonder why someone else wouldn't at least like it. Ramon's art is a style that is not for everyone. And that's great! The more art styles the better. It wasn't my cup of tea but I'm glad a style so unique is given the chance to be on a book like that.

I've never really warmed up to Frank Quitely, if we're being honest, but I can respect the craft if not the result.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dawgstar posted:

I've never really warmed up to Frank Quitely, if we're being honest, but I can respect the craft if not the result.

Same. There's a lot of artists I feel that way about. Gary Frank is my big one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I cannot see the appeal of Howard Chaykin's art.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Uthor posted:

Ever or currently?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Uthor posted:

I feel like I make a huge effort post every couple of years defending Howard Chaykin but the bullet point is, he's very good, he just habitually never gives a poo poo when he gets put on a superhero book. Check out some American Flagg and the old marvel Indiana Jones comics if you want to try to develop an appreciation for him.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Humberto Ramos for me. Also JRJR but he’s one of those guys who’s good with the right book at least,mjsut gets put every else too.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I feel like maybe the pendulum of public opinion has swung back in my direction but David Finch and that whole school of post-image hyper-cross-hatched art gives me a headache.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I am currently reading Mr. Miracle by Kirby and it is great super hero fun, and also the first Kirby stuff I have ever read. I have always seen his artwork in panels and retrospectives and such and I can definitely see why he is the "king". I will, however, nitpick one thing and that is he does pretty much the same face a lot, especially for men. All his guys have the same ragged tooth and flat face thing going on. I love his weapons and technology, and how much energy all of his panels have. Just a thing about his faces though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Retro Futurist posted:

Humberto Ramos for me.

Humberto Ramos is straight up bad.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

I just need to point out that Thors is a murder mystery where the victim, detective, and all the suspects are all Thor.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

I am currently reading Mr. Miracle by Kirby and it is great super hero fun, and also the first Kirby stuff I have ever read. I have always seen his artwork in panels and retrospectives and such and I can definitely see why he is the "king". I will, however, nitpick one thing and that is he does pretty much the same face a lot, especially for men. All his guys have the same ragged tooth and flat face thing going on. I love his weapons and technology, and how much energy all of his panels have. Just a thing about his faces though.

DC had another artist draw over him for Superman's head for the Jimmy Olsen series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I just need to point out that Thors is a murder mystery where the victim, detective, and all the suspects are all Thor.

Law and Thorder.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kirby famously couldn't wrap his head around the way Steve Ditko made Spider-man move so a lot early of Kirby art of the web-slinger was clumsily edited before print, sometimes by literally cutting out a Ditko drawing and pasting it on top of Kirby's art.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Retro Futurist posted:

Humberto Ramos for me. Also JRJR but he’s one of those guys who’s good with the right book at least,mjsut gets put every else too.

I like Humberto a lot but totally get why others don't, that's why I feel the Villalobas fans. And I loved JRJR on Daredevil. Hated him on Spidey. I know I'm in a minority but that's my feeling.

Archyduke posted:

I feel like maybe the pendulum of public opinion has swung back in my direction but David Finch and that whole school of post-image hyper-cross-hatched art gives me a headache.

The pendulum has been permanently stuck on "No thanks" for me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

I like Humberto a lot but totally get why others don't, that's why I feel the Villalobas fans. And I loved JRJR on Daredevil. Hated him on Spidey. I know I'm in a minority but that's my feeling.

The pendulum has been permanently stuck on "No thanks" for me.

"YOU THINK THIS A STANDS FOR ART!!!!!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Skwirl posted:

"YOU THINK THIS A STANDS FOR ART!!!!!

Hehe.

I was a huge fan of Humberto Ramos when he was on Impulse in the 90s but he went off the rails faster and more severely than any other artist I can think of. Even just a few years later in that Vampire comic he did for Image Comics 2, he's lost the plot. His newest stuff might as well be some kind of alien pictogram

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Finch isn't an artist that I'd not read a book I want to read over. But if it was a book I was on the fence about I'd probably think twice.

Hell Greg Land wouldn't even keep me off a book I was really interested in, which unfortunately has happened way too many times as far as I'm concerned.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’m not sure there’s any artist who is a straight up no for me. Even artists who do mostly poor work can occasionally surprise when the story and the situation is perfect.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Madkal posted:

Under the Comics Code crime was not allowed to be presented as anything glamorous or sympathetic or otherwise anything that readers would want to imitate and Kirby's faces tend to remind me of that. His villains, thugs, and goons are UGLY. None of them are people you wish you could be.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Ever or currently?

Ever.

purple death ray posted:

I feel like I make a huge effort post every couple of years defending Howard Chaykin but the bullet point is, he's very good, he just habitually never gives a poo poo when he gets put on a superhero book. Check out some American Flagg and the old marvel Indiana Jones comics if you want to try to develop an appreciation for him.

American Flagg is one of the very few books that I've tried reading and just gave up on. And I usually finish books/comics/movies/etc even if I don't like them.

I have his issue of Solo and a bunch of appearances in random anthologies and a short story in Simonson's Orion. The thing that turns me off is all the teeth. 😁😬

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

purple death ray posted:

So he's the artist version of Ennis?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Garth Ennis wrote the excellent first arc of Spider-Man's Tangled Web.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Reading an early issue of Daredevil and reveling in the hilarious absurdity of Mike Murdoch I have a two part question. Has any other character pretended to be their own sibling then said that their sibling is their alter ego? Has Mike Murdoch been in any recent/recentish Daredevil issue?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bessantj posted:

Reading an early issue of Daredevil and reveling in the hilarious absurdity of Mike Murdoch I have a two part question. Has any other character pretended to be their own sibling then said that their sibling is their alter ego? Has Mike Murdoch been in any recent/recentish Daredevil issue?

He was in a big anniversary issue during Mark Waid's run, but just as a framing narrative I think.

Before he's willing to tell Claire his real name during the first season of the Netflix Daredevil show she decides to refer to him as "Mike."

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bessantj posted:

The Mike Murdoch saga is one of my favourite early marvel beats. It’s like Stan was bored and just throwing poo poo against the wall.

I feel like this is something Peter would do.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jordan7hm posted:

I feel like this is something Peter would do.

<cough cough> CLONE SAGA <cough cough>

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Garth Ennis wrote the excellent first arc of Spider-Man's Tangled Web.

That arc sucked.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've never been able to 'get' Garth Ennis. Like I've read stuff by him that people have praised and I always come thinking 'Really? That?' and just don't get it. And I don't mean I don't understand the books. I just don't get the praise at all. I mean most writers I don't like I can at least get the appeal. I don't care the majority of stuff Grant Morrison does but I totally get why people do.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I've never been able to 'get' Garth Ennis. Like I've read stuff by him that people have praised and I always come thinking 'Really? That?' and just don't get it. And I don't mean I don't understand the books. I just don't get the praise at all. I mean most writers I don't like I can at least get the appeal. I don't care the majority of stuff Grant Morrison does but I totally get why people do.

I get that, he's not for everyone and Preacher has aged horribly. It's practically unreadable in 2018. Ate that poo poo up in 1996 though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hitman's still good. I think it's his best stuff. Dude needs an editor.

For like everything else, including Preacher it loses me on re-reads. I remember getting mad at The Boys, but I was probably supposed to, so I didn't want to give Ennis the satisfaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
After reading what feels like enough of Ennis for my tablets dictionary to recognize the name, he can write a good, almost not super problematic story if he has to stay within the boundaries like hitman or punisher/fury 2016 max

But the guy is pretty trash if you let him off the leash. And it sucks that he hasn't ever recognized this