Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Nixon didn't receive enough support from the democratic party at the state convention to even make the primary. I wasn't following the race closely, but was stunned when I voted last month that there wasn't a primary for governor at all.

"Wikipedia posted:

On May 23, 2018, Nixon and other potential Democratic challengers to Cuomo were eliminated from the Democratic Primary at the state Democratic Convention after failing to meet the 25% state delegate threshold needed to appear on the primary ballot.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/cuomo-overwhelmingly-beats-cynthia-nixon-democratic-convention-article-1.4005644

This isn't news or anything, of course. The tense of Ate poo poo's post confused me. Forgive me if I am being redundant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

waffles beyond waffles posted:

Nixon didn't receive enough support from the democratic party at the state convention to even make the primary. I wasn't following the race closely, but was stunned when I voted last month that there wasn't a primary for governor at all.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/cuomo-overwhelmingly-beats-cynthia-nixon-democratic-convention-article-1.4005644

This isn't news or anything, of course. The tense of Ate poo poo's post confused me. Forgive me if I am being redundant.

This is misleading; the petition deadline to get on the ballot was last week. Nixon collected enough signatures. She will be on the ballot.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Wrong primary, friend. Last month was federal

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

September 13th!!!

State offices have a different primary date than federal offices because New York State is dogshit

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I think Catalina Cruz is going to unseat Ari Espinal

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Oh, that's great! I clearly was confused. I thought her petition drive was to be on the general. Happy to be wrong. If nothing else, I hope this pushes our dumb state towards legal weed.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Oh, that's great! I clearly was confused. I thought her petition drive was to be on the general. Happy to be wrong. If nothing else, I hope this pushes our dumb state towards legal weed.

The biggest thing pushing NY toward legal weed would be NJ doing it and NY wanting make sure they got it before Jersey City and Hoboken built the infrastructure to capture all the tax money.

And it looked like NJ was going to soon, but I think Murphy is now dragging his feet or something.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I think the biggest thing pushing NY towards legal weed is Cuomo's desire to sap a leftist challenger but I could be wrong.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

unbutthurtable posted:

The biggest thing pushing NY toward legal weed would be NJ doing it and NY wanting make sure they got it before Jersey City and Hoboken built the infrastructure to capture all the tax money.

And it looked like NJ was going to soon, but I think Murphy is now dragging his feet or something.

Murphy is having trouble getting it through the legislature; Steve Sweeney has decided that now that a democrat is in office he is going to cockblock most significant legislation until he can put his prints on it, and there’s also some opposition from the black caucus and legislators from Newark who are concerned that ther s little benefit and a lot of risk to their own communities from legalization.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

CaptainPsyko posted:

and there’s also some opposition from the black caucus and legislators from Newark who are concerned that ther s little benefit and a lot of risk to their own communities from legalization.

What risk is there?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Hiding in this story about Republican challengers to long-time local Democratic assemblymember Phil Steck is this:

quote:

"The current representative seems more interested in being loyal to downstate progressives than he does in working to improve quality of life in the upstate communities he is supposed to represent," Carey said.

Steck defended his work in the Assembly, saying, "Whoever wrote the release (for Carey) didn't look at my voting record at all."

He specifically took issue with a claim in Carey's release that he supported the START-UP New York program in 2013, which Assembly records indicate he voted against. Steck added that he helped write a water infrastructure bill, opposed voting rights for parolees, and broke from the Democratic Party establishment to support Bernie Sanders.

Why would you be proud of this?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

not a cult posted:

What risk is there?

The belief is that legalization represents a get out of jail free card for white smokers, while black users will still be targeted by enforcement of laws re: public consumption and such which will result in no change for them and stores will end up locating in poor communities of color and be a blight in much the same way as shady liquor stores, while corporations owned by rich white folks take all the profit.

Tl;dr, they are extremely skeptical of anybracial Justice arguments re: legalization.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

CaptainPsyko posted:

The belief is that legalization represents a get out of jail free card for white smokers, while black users will still be targeted by enforcement of laws re: public consumption and such which will result in no change for them and stores will end up locating in poor communities of color and be a blight in much the same way as shady liquor stores, while corporations owned by rich white folks take all the profit.

Tl;dr, they are extremely skeptical of anybracial Justice arguments re: legalization.

I mean they are right, legalization will not solve racism, but fortunately that isn't the purpose of it.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I mean they are right, legalization will not solve racism, but fortunately that isn't the purpose of it.

Right. The purpose is to tax white people and offer them exciting new recreational and profit opportunities.

You might see why they aren’t so quick to get on board at that point.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

CaptainPsyko posted:

Right. The purpose is to tax white people and offer them exciting new recreational and profit opportunities.

You might see why they aren’t so quick to get on board at that point.

Well yea they should make sure that the regulations are reasonable and not designed to entrench a connected political class. They see what happened with state-liquor stores, so maybe they could be legislatures and actually make laws that are good for the citizenry, and not their donors?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Offered without comment

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Dean Skelos (and son) guilty again in retrial! Sentencing Oct 24

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Wish I had friends like these.

https://twitter.com/JonCampbellGAN/status/1020015314547953664

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
In NY-19 news that surprises no-one:

https://hudsonvalleyone.com/2018/07/18/this-week-in-ny-19-dems-rally-faso-attack-on-delgados-rap-lyrics-draws-national-attention/

quote:

But the first major back-and-forth came a few weeks later after an article in the New York Post, headlined Rapping Dem challenges Republican for upstate congressional seat, listed some selections from Delgado’s 2006 rap album, including the lines: “I wanna ride with my n—-s see them all get figures/I wanna see a righteous capitalist, if it’s possible for one to exist” and “Dead presidents can’t represent me, not when most of them believe in white supremacy/like spittin’ on my ancestry.”

Also carpetbagger et.al.

I dont know you guys, those lyrics seem a-ok to me!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Delgado owns holy poo poo lmao

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

LegionAreI posted:

I dont know you guys, those lyrics seem a-ok to me!

my family will be voting for this guy if it kills me to make them, holy poo poo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Let's reach across the aisle to show that we support corruption!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm surprised nobody has posted the quinnipiac poll that shows cuomo is up by 36% over nixon. our state is so loving stupid

granted, nixon seems more like a protest candidate and is acting like it

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
loving scum.

https://twitter.com/SaveTipsNY/status/1020058599949651968

:qq: THEY'RE GOING TO FORCE US TO PAY OUR SERVERS MINIMUM WAGE BEFORE TIPS :qq:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

lots of political people showed up at the NKD end of scheduling picnic today. highlights were Rep. Nydia Valezquez (who's supported the group since day one), Cynthia Nixon, and a rather pregnant Zephyr Teachout. also stopping by were Councilman Antonio Reynoso, another candidate for attorney general (forgot her name, not Tish James or Maloney), Adem Bunkeddeko, Assemblywoman Jo Anne Simon, a district leader in AD 42, and the male candidate for district leader in AD 44. even Martin Dilan's skeletor looking rear end came out for five minutes

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 01:51 on Jul 22, 2018

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
But how will I feel superior to my server if I can't offer them a poo poo tip because the kitchen was busy!?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

quote:

“Is a guy who makes a rap album the kind of guy who lives here in rural New York and reflects our lifestyle and values?” said Mr. Benjamin, a longtime political science professor, adding that he personally did not consider rap music to be “real music.”

Like every SINGLE white kid now has tried to record a rap album

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/ZephyrTeachout/status/1021021338356547584

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

hmm you critique society, yet you choose to live within it? seems your progressive logic wasn’t as ironclad as you thought

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

she doesn't want to eliminate the tax breaks, for the record

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Speaking of which, Albany just had a whole week of (camera) shootings for the new season of Punisher. I wonder how much the city got out of it, beyond expenditures on police diversion of traffic.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

hmm you critique society, yet you choose to live within it? seems your progressive logic wasn’t as ironclad as you thought

I see you are rebelling against the British, yet your are speaking their language and living in their colonies? Wrap it up founding failures

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Agean90 posted:

I see you are rebelling against the British, yet your are speaking their language and living in their colonies? Wrap it up founding failures

This, but unironically. "No Taxation Without Representation" while literally keeping people as chattel, LMFBO

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Speaking of which, Albany just had a whole week of (camera) shootings for the new season of Punisher. I wonder how much the city got out of it, beyond expenditures on police diversion of traffic.

disclaimer: I work on this job

all non-core crew and actors/extras were locally-hired, hotels for the cast and crew every night, crew destroying their livers every night at the bars/restaurants, permit money for the shooting locations, money paid to the locations for shooting (though it was mostly road work), money paid to the location where background holding/catering was held, local cops, dot employees, ambulance drivers, fire department getting ot for the shoot.

it’s not a windfall (especially because it was on the highway and not in local businesses), but not a bad amount of money either

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
honestly as Netflix Punisher being the only Marvel thing I really love I'm so glad to hear it, New York is just as much a character as Frank Castle and this show feels so much in the vein of Punisher MAX, which is god tier comic book writing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIY6zFL95hE

netflix punisher is basically death to amerikkka the show as frank castle murders endless american mercenaries and soldiers

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

theflyingexecutive posted:

disclaimer: I work on this job

all non-core crew and actors/extras were locally-hired, hotels for the cast and crew every night, crew destroying their livers every night at the bars/restaurants, permit money for the shooting locations, money paid to the locations for shooting (though it was mostly road work), money paid to the location where background holding/catering was held, local cops, dot employees, ambulance drivers, fire department getting ot for the shoot.

it’s not a windfall (especially because it was on the highway and not in local businesses), but not a bad amount of money either

That's good to know. It did create some traffic snafus, too.

Taintrunner posted:

honestly as Netflix Punisher being the only Marvel thing I really love I'm so glad to hear it, New York is just as much a character as Frank Castle and this show feels so much in the vein of Punisher MAX, which is god tier comic book writing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIY6zFL95hE

netflix punisher is basically death to amerikkka the show as frank castle murders endless american mercenaries and soldiers

I just wish they were filming something I'd be likely to eventually watch. :shrug:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I just wish they were filming something I'd be likely to eventually watch. :shrug:

it's uh, shockingly, actually good in that it literally condemns america's intelligence agencies and tier one special forces as nothing more than murderous thugs ordered around by lunatics that should be brought to justice

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Taintrunner posted:

it's uh, shockingly, actually good in that it literally condemns america's intelligence agencies and tier one special forces as nothing more than murderous thugs ordered around by lunatics that should be brought to justice

None of that makes it sound like something I'd like to watch. I just am not really interested in that genre. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Where were they filiming?