Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Didn't the old iBooks have a rubber membrane too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

“suck it up whiners” is not a very compelling argument for a platform tho

True. But I’m tired of the lie about what pros need that’s constantly being used by people who don’t know what their talking about.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/2018-macbook-pro-benchmarks

Wow, looks like the 13-inch 2018 rMBP has the fastest speeds out of any SSDs tested on laptops so far; 2.5 GB / sec.

Even the vaunted Dell XPS 13 only manages 399 MB / sec?

Tests were done using BlackMagic Speed test, a cross-platform storage benchmark app.

Geez, I can only get close to those speeds from a 970 Pro mounted in a special NVMe to PCIe bridge card in my modded Mac Pro..

Edit: APFS also may be a factor..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 14, 2018

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Nvme va SATA? Aren’t the other ssd’s in the last few years macs almost that fast?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

KingEup posted:

Dental dam.

Lisa needs braces!

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Bob Morales posted:

Nvme va SATA? Aren’t the other ssd’s in the last few years macs almost that fast?

yeah, if i remember correctly most mac SSDs are pci based. probably not nvme but faster than sata at the very least

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

No, it's NVMe.. they're using NAND chips for the SSDs it's gotta be SSD.

Also..

As we I type, I'm on a Late 2013 rMBP upgraded to a 1 TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe with a special adapter.

MacBook Pros have had an NVMe driver in ROM ever since the Early 2015 models to boot.

Also have a Mac Pro (Late 2012) with a 512 GB NVMe Samsung PRO 970 in a PCIe carrier that's had the NVMe driver from the Late 2013 Trash Can injected into the BootROM and boots off of the SSD in seconds.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Binary Badger posted:

Like around 90% of it, for at least the file copy test. I mean sure it's likely a very fast SSD and it's certainly relevant to a single-drive system, but I get the same thing on my Mac Mini. It's a feature of the file system, you certainly wouldn't get that copying from the same SSD to another.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Pretty sure every modern pro camera can push your photos over via WiFi. And even if they don’t, WiFi capable SD cards exist.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

AlternateAccount posted:

Pretty sure every modern pro camera can push your photos over via WiFi. And even if they don’t, WiFi capable SD cards exist.

it's still slower, or at the very least, the speeds have a potential to be slower, than a loving memory card and reader

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Any recommendations for good sleeves that don't cost a bazillion dollars?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

"why do you want to move files from your computer to your phone with a usb cable when you could just upload it to google drive and download it from the google drive app on your phone"

Violator
May 15, 2003

Small White Dragon posted:

https://www.picasolab.com

I love the Classic (the ones without the little tabs) and have used it with my 2012 MBP since I got it. It’s held up amazingly well and I still get compliments on it. Dark brown outside and red inside. No logos or any other crap, just simple leather stitched really well together. I think it’s one dude in his garage who makes them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

I have a water field one but I kinda don’t care for it much. It’s nice that it can hold a charger but it’s just a little weird. I do like the ones posted above they look really nice.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Like around 90% of it, for at least the file copy test. I mean sure it's likely a very fast SSD and it's certainly relevant to a single-drive system, but I get the same thing on my Mac Mini. It's a feature of the file system, you certainly wouldn't get that copying from the same SSD to another.

They also tested with BlackMagic to avoid APFS trickery, and got 2682 MBps average write speed. That's a nice chunk faster than Apple's claimed 3.2 GB/s read, 2.2 GB/s write.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

Didn't the old iBooks have a rubber membrane too?

I'm pretty sure they did. I only know this because the glue holding down the membranes would decay and start to smell like body odor. I gave that old iBook to a friend and he gave it back.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Binary Badger posted:

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/2018-macbook-pro-benchmarks

Wow, looks like the 13-inch 2018 rMBP has the fastest speeds out of any SSDs tested on laptops so far; 2.5 GB / sec.

Even the vaunted Dell XPS 13 only manages 399 MB / sec?

Tests were done using BlackMagic Speed test, a cross-platform storage benchmark app.

Geez, I can only get close to those speeds from a 970 Pro mounted in a special NVMe to PCIe bridge card in my modded Mac Pro..

That huge difference in CPU is pretty odd.
The Dell has a 8550U, the Surface Book 2 a 8650U.
The MBP can BTO a 8559U, which I'm guessing is another Apple-specific SKU? It's also 28W not 15W like the rest.

eames
May 9, 2009

~Coxy posted:

That huge difference in CPU is pretty odd.
The Dell has a 8550U, the Surface Book 2 a 8650U.
The MBP can BTO a 8559U, which I'm guessing is another Apple-specific SKU? It's also 28W not 15W like the rest.

It's the L4 cache that makes the difference (128 MB eDRAM). The new 13" looks kind of decent, the performance of an old 15" in the 13" MBA form factor.

2133 MHz DDR3 paired with an iGPU in 2018 is a joke though. Memory latency of the new 13" in geekbench is really high too, around 130ns in multiple runs. The older 15" with 1600 DDR3 report ~75ns. I wonder if they cut corners with cheaper RAM/looser timings because the cache makes up for it in most situations.

e: here are benchmarks of the new machines in various configurations: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/search?q=MacbookPro15%2C

eames fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 14, 2018

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i swear people in this thread would defend the flip down bay door from the original macbook air. i'm not going to look but i bet there were people doing just that in older mac threads.

and i'd be less annoyed by the "usb-c only" if apple wasn't so inherently hypocritical about it with their other products. its been what, 2-3 generations of iphones and they still provide cables where neither side is a usb-c plug. how much faith does apple have in an all usb-c world if their own products don't even support it.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

AlternateAccount posted:

That’s great in a pinch, but it doesn’t cut it for heavy use, like someone who can fill multiple cards on a shoot. And I’m not about to move high bitrate 4K videos over wifi.

Cameras are, like, really popular, especially among the kind of crowd that buys “prosumer” computer poo poo. I don’t understand why people keep talking about it like it’s a weird edge case.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I don’t understand why people keep talking about it like it’s a weird edge case.

They love Apple a bit too much and are too unfamiliar with actual pro / semi-pro workflows. It's best to recognize that most people on the Internet really have no idea what they're talking about.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This very forum has like 20 years of evidence documenting that. Even if one is correct today, tomorrow they will get something wrong and hear about it for three pages.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Apples core market are not tech savvy and not creative professionals. Can you really blame them for catering to them?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Shaocaholica posted:

Apples core market are not tech savvy and not creative professionals. Can you really blame them for catering to them?

Seems weird then that the ads for the pro are all about creative professionals. I mean, what the heck is the thin Macbook for, then?

I guess the thinking behind the marketing could be that non-techies will see it and think, “if it’s good enough for professional video production, it should be great for having my identity stolen and forwarding racist chain emails to my grandkids!”

I mean, I wish I could get away with one of the non-pros for my tasks. The original Air was my favorite laptop of all time. I just need the pro for pro stuff.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I guess the thinking behind the marketing could be that non-techies will see it and think, “if it’s good enough for professional video production, it should be great for having my identity stolen and forwarding racist chain emails to my grandkids!”

It’s this and also it’s the democratisation of creative production (IE the relative ease at which people can learn to create new media, music, videos etcetera) thanks to the availability of cheap tools and tutorials now means everybody considers themselves something of a creative. (Apple even includes pretty good tools in the box for free).

This is probably where lots of the ‘do it for the exposure’ crap comes from, because the difference between a pro who has put years into their craft and an amateur having a go is not as immediately different as it used to be on a superficial level.

So average person sees pros using X brand in a creative sense, X brand markets themselves as the creative tool of pros, people buy with the belief that it will make them more pro at creative stuff.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Eh, sort of. Your right that Mac's haven't actually been the best platform for getting most poo poo done since Windows got proper colour support, and Adobe stopped treating MacOS as the primary target platform. But they aren't selling a computer, they're selling the dream that if you buy their machine, you'll personally become a super cool fashion photographer or film director or whatever, and then everyone will want to have sex with you.

What's clever / insidious is that it actually forms a bit of a feedback loop; for example, my last agency furnished me with a gaming PC complete with rainbow coloured keyboard, and while it was the best PC I've ever used for actually doing my job, I was openly laughed at in client meetings when I pulled it out. That thing would eat pretty much any MBP alive. Again; Apple are not selling a computer, they're selling a brand, and if you pull out a modern MacBook Pro in a meeting, that says something about who you are. It doesn't matter what MS does with the Surface line, the second you pull one out, congratulations, you are a middle manager who uses Excel and probably owns 10 different ties.

Apple's brand ends up having value to pros because Apple's brand is perceived as having value to pros. It's more a watch than their actual watch is.

Ironically, MacOS is legit better than Windows for doing one thing; any programming that involves Unix (I'm not counting iOS because that's ecosystem lock-in rather than capability at play). And open source coding in a terminal using loving VIM is about as far away from their brand image as you can really get.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pastamania posted:

Ironically, MacOS is legit better than Windows for doing one thing; any programming that involves Unix
For user-level stuff this is mostly true but for systems research they’re often less useful. In a pinch at least VMWare Fusion and Parallels pass through systems counters to a VM, but I’ll usually just do systems stuff on a separate Linux box. That doesn’t change the fact that a Mac is always the system I want to be SSHing from.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 14, 2018

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Lol if anyone does posix coding in windows unless it’s the only machine they have and the world is in ruins.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Pastamania posted:

Mac's haven't actually been the best platform for getting most poo poo done since Windows got proper colour support

I haven’t seriously used windows in years. Explain?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I assume it's one of those things where explaining to people what ColorSync was and how individual vendor-supported color-matching technologies were a poor and inconsistently trustable alternative increasingly fell on deaf ears until the world collectively gave up and said "ehh good enough is good enough".

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Fun fact about colors: my Windows laptop has an awesome super-wide gamut 4K display, which I calibrated with one of those thingies, and man it does work great, except that tons of Windows applications (including built-in Microsoft apps) just ignore color management altogether. It's infuriating.

One really weird thing that I've missed about having a Mac, and I'm super looking forward to with the one I'm getting, is having a good selection of word processors that can render text worth a poo poo. You've got markdown editors out the wazoo, script writing programs and a bunch of good distraction-free writers.

The selection on windows is really terrible for some reason. The few attempts at slick editors just wither before they get their poo poo together. Does MacOS just have some great framework built-in for that kind of thing? What's the deal? Why doesn't Windows get stuff like Byword and Highland? Is this another one of those user perception things, where people think that only macs are for writing?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I just picked up a 13" MBP from the apple store. This thing is amazing, it's as fast, or even faster, then my maxed out 2015 15" MBP. This thing feels like it has the same footprint of a 13" MBA but with a beefy processor and retina display.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I use WIndows for most things but video editing.. ARRRG!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Fun fact about colors: my Windows laptop has an awesome super-wide gamut 4K display, which I calibrated with one of those thingies, and man it does work great, except that tons of Windows applications (including built-in Microsoft apps) just ignore color management altogether. It's infuriating.

One really weird thing that I've missed about having a Mac, and I'm super looking forward to with the one I'm getting, is having a good selection of word processors that can render text worth a poo poo. You've got markdown editors out the wazoo, script writing programs and a bunch of good distraction-free writers.

The selection on windows is really terrible for some reason. The few attempts at slick editors just wither before they get their poo poo together. Does MacOS just have some great framework built-in for that kind of thing? What's the deal? Why doesn't Windows get stuff like Byword and Highland? Is this another one of those user perception things, where people think that only macs are for writing?

I don’t know, but totally agree. I wouldn’t trade my iMac 5k for the world since I’m a publisher. I will be picking up a new chromebook Acer 13 this fall though since it has a retina screen, good enough keyboard and only costs $400 to $500. I can’t justify a MacBook for just a coffee shop and trip machine. Hoping that novrl looks good on the high res screen.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can always install Linux on Chromebooks too.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Install Linux. Problem solved.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Housh posted:

Install Linux. Problems started.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or to paraphrase the old saw

quote:

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use Linux." Now they have two problems.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Linux is great when you have a support base of many many nerds maintaining your own special distribution and software such as that of a large tech company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Oh the wonders that could be achieved using the form factor of the 2012 MBP. Or even better the 2008.