Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
> Calls Vulcan trash
> Wants Hussar in game

Lol okay buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Needs more Bushwacker.

Comedy option: Uziel

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 14, 2018

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
The Vulcan sounds like a good support weapon monster, if the hardpoint setup is good it'd pretty much work like an overgrown Firestarter.
Mechs that could be ported over include the Javelin, Raven, Wolfhound, Assassin, Vulcan, Crab, Cyclops, Mauler, and Annihilator. The lot from HG are listed on sale.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Do you have anything to legitimize this assertion? As far as we have seen, HBS and PGI have a great relationship and there was no indication that HBS using PGI's assets was a one-off deal.
Nothing I've written contradicts that. If HBS manifestly did not add more designs as MWO rolled them out, had a major bottleneck at one (1) person handling all of the mech rigging/animation, and a bunch of other priorities to handle before getting the game out of the door than adding more to their plate, then they, y'know, didn't do what they didn't do. It's likely the subject was brought up on more than one HBS forum thread or Q&A, but no offense if I'm not going to shift through hours of video or years of compiled nerd droppings on your behalf.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
As yes, the ironclad "you can't prove me wrong" defense, coincidentally devoid of any reason any of us should agree.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

I mean, the shadow hawk is a trash mech.

Dim fighting words right around here. :argh:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Strobe posted:

> Calls Vulcan trash
> Wants Hussar in game

Lol okay buddy.

Okay okay okay I see your point.

Ostscout is probably better than both of them.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Has anyone else run into a Thermal Exchanger? I haven't seen them mentioned in the thread and I've only ever run into one myself over one finished campaign and two half-campaigns. They're pretty OP, especially in big mechs with lots of guns:

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Eh, I'd hardly call them OP. In a neutral environment you need an alpha that generates at least 61 heat for it to provide any benefit, and that benefit strictly only applies to turns where you're firing your guns. Any heat generated from running, jumping or flamers won't be mitigated by the exchanger. It does get relatively more effective in hot/lunar environments, but conversely it becomes less effective in cold areas or when standing in water. I guess technically it's more space-efficient on your mech, but that's hardly ever a concern I think.

Also I believe I read somewhere that they do not work additively but apply their reduction consecutively, so stacking multiple has diminishing returns (e.g. with two 10% exchangers and a 100 heat alpha, the first reduces the heat to 90 and the second one to 81, for a combined reduction of 19% instead of 20%).

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Back Hack posted:

Dim fighting words right around here. :argh:

the point was that on the table it's garbage but in the game it's very good

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BeAuMaN posted:

that's terrible and I feel for you. I was pretty mad that it ate one of my missions yesterday.

Thanks, but it was a blessing in disguise. I was getting a bit too caught up in this robot lego game.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

SirViver posted:

Eh, I'd hardly call them OP. In a neutral environment you need an alpha that generates at least 61 heat for it to provide any benefit, and that benefit strictly only applies to turns where you're firing your guns. Any heat generated from running, jumping or flamers won't be mitigated by the exchanger. It does get relatively more effective in hot/lunar environments, but conversely it becomes less effective in cold areas or when standing in water. I guess technically it's more space-efficient on your mech, but that's hardly ever a concern I think.

Also I believe I read somewhere that they do not work additively but apply their reduction consecutively, so stacking multiple has diminishing returns (e.g. with two 10% exchangers and a 100 heat alpha, the first reduces the heat to 90 and the second one to 81, for a combined reduction of 19% instead of 20%).

Maybe OP is a little strong, but imo they're still really good. 60 heat isn't at all hard to generate on an assault mech; the mech I have mine on alphas for around 120 heat. 12 heat dissipated for 2 tons is twice as efficient by weight as single heatsinks for a quarter of the slots. Admittedly the mech in question is the story Atlas, which has a lot of tonnage for weapons, but other assaults can still easily run enough firepower to make the Exchanger more efficient than singles. Sure they're relatively less efficient in cold conditions, but they really shine in hot conditions and that's when you need heat efficiency the most anyway.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Arrghhh game crash after a perfect 30 min mission with a huge payout, two ++ weapons and 3 mech parts that filled out the last I needed. Incredibly frustrating, and I always manage to forget to save during missions.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
Has there been any word on upcoming expansions or dlc? A quick search only delivered some vague hints of one or two expansions from May.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

SirViver posted:

That's only the base model, though. There's a ++ thermal exchanger out there that gives -20% weapon heat. Even at 4 tons, that's pretty OP.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Captain Foo posted:

the point was that on the table it's garbage but in the game it's very good
Stuff like this gives the wonderful mental image of a gimmick TT campaign where the player group doesn't have Lostech, they have HBS tech.

"Comstar, help. it's those loving Mercs again! :argh:"
"What lostech did they find?"
"Uh, no it was three AC5 on a Jagermech. And a Grasshopper with SIX MACHINEGUNS"
''Call us when there is an actual problem :rolleyes:"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 15, 2018

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Wafflecopper posted:

Has anyone else run into a Thermal Exchanger? I haven't seen them mentioned in the thread and I've only ever run into one myself over one finished campaign and two half-campaigns. They're pretty OP, especially in big mechs with lots of guns:

I found a 20% exchanger on a research world in one of three 1k+ day campaigns. They are exceptionally rare.

The 20% exchanger made a 3x PPC awesome nearly hearty neutral at normal conditions and easily usable in desert/martian conditions before the patch.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Sometimes I think:

What if, like in Warframe where Stalker or various assassins have a chance to show up during normal missions trying to hunt you down... if in Battletech you pissed off Team Rocket some rival merc group that has a chance to show up any time during a mission, complete with an array of insults or lines as they interrupt your mission. Also voice lines for if you abort the mission or lose.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

BeAuMaN posted:

Sometimes I think:

What if, like in Warframe where Stalker or various assassins have a chance to show up during normal missions trying to hunt you down... if in Battletech you pissed off Team Rocket some rival merc group that has a chance to show up any time during a mission, complete with an array of insults or lines as they interrupt your mission. Also voice lines for if you abort the mission or lose.

The King of Atlases is here to hunt you

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

BeAuMaN posted:

Sometimes I think:

The Star Wolves

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

BeAuMaN posted:

Sometimes I think:

I feel we'd be pretty safe from any theoretical rivals ever showing their face so long as you never take 1 priority salvage contracts :v:

A rival unit would be too scared to do more than send you threatening letters, if wiping the floor with them meant you could earn more from your contract rather than less. So they would probably have the MRB on call to let the know the instant you take a full cash breather mission with your B team.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 15, 2018

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Section Z posted:

Stuff like this gives the wonderful mental image of a gimmick TT campaign where the player group doesn't have Lostech, they have HBS tech.

"Comstar, help. it's those loving Mercs again! :argh:"
"What lostech did they find?"
"Uh, no it was three AC5 on a Jagermech. And a Grasshopper with SIX MACHINEGUNS"
''Call us when there is an actual problem :rolleyes:"

haha a Jager

A JAGER gently caress

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

New game with 8 mech parts to assemble and no gear from assembled mechs makes this feel more like the front missions where upgrades felt impactful. Without it i would have had a full 55 ton lineup pre Argo. Generous loot and money for sanity though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

BeAuMaN posted:

Sometimes I think:

So, the XCOM2 DLC.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fuzz posted:

So, the XCOM2 DLC.

Dush the Enforcer.

Traits: Fear of fire

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I lucked into an AC20+++ before Panzyr, but sadly was not able to luck into de-legging at least one of two enemy Orions during a mission, so it's still mounted on my Centurion. Watching that thing take out limbs is beautiful, though the ammo constraint sucks and I hope that dropping 2 MLs for an extra box and a SL instead won't be too bad.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

toasterwarrior posted:

I lucked into an AC20+++ before Panzyr, but sadly was not able to luck into de-legging at least one of two enemy Orions during a mission, so it's still mounted on my Centurion. Watching that thing take out limbs is beautiful, though the ammo constraint sucks and I hope that dropping 2 MLs for an extra box and a SL instead won't be too bad.

Congratulations, you now have a Hunchback

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Congratulations, you now have Yen-lo-Wang.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
no hatch no dice

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
CAULDRON BORN WHEN

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

CAULDRON BORN WHEN

:hmmyes:

And Tyler Too! posted:

Needs more Bushwacker.

Comedy option: Uziel

:shuckyes:

These 3 are my favorite mechs. I would drop an unfortunate amount of money to get them in game

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Belial when :v:

Kneecapping Atlases in Mechassault with that thing was hilarious.

e: Looking up the name of that wtf there was a Mechassault on the DS?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 16, 2018

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Man I wasted so many hours on mechassault back in the day, that was good poo poo. For nostalgia's sake I tried finding the sound effect mechs made when they went nuclear. It was very...distinctive

What is the canon on that btw why don't mechs explode in balls of nuclear fire anymore? I imagine it'd make salvaging things trickier

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

IAmThatIs posted:

Man I wasted so many hours on mechassault back in the day, that was good poo poo. For nostalgia's sake I tried finding the sound effect mechs made when they went nuclear. It was very...distinctive

What is the canon on that btw why don't mechs explode in balls of nuclear fire anymore? I imagine it'd make salvaging things trickier

I believe this is colloquially called "stackpoling" after some dude named stackpole that wrote MW books where mechs would go hypernuclear on death, so meothing nobody else did that made salvaging parts not make any sense and killed a great many nerds. it is, how you say, not canon.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Alright, just a few more missions and I'll finally have enough radioactive ash to build an Grasshopper

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

Xarbala posted:

Alright, just a few more missions and I'll finally have enough radioactive ash to build an Grasshopper

thank you for using "an" properly. i am forever at ur service.

i hope the next big thing in the game is some sort of more sandboxy experience, the contracts and stuff in the base game didn't feel compelling enough to be a good stadalone campaign. I'll play whatever is next regardless-this game is good as heck.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

god drat some of these convoy APCs are really loving brave (and/or stupid). I'm just trying to take down that last Jaegermech, ripped off its right arm and torso... and the APC just parks right in front of the drat thing and opens up medium lasers and MGs. Didn't kill it, but I was able to kill the Jaeger before it decided to HULK SMASH the APC.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

IAmThatIs posted:

The short version is that fusion reactors don’t work that way.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

I believe this is colloquially called "stackpoling" after some dude named stackpole that wrote MW books where mechs would go hypernuclear on death, so meothing nobody else did that made salvaging parts not make any sense and killed a great many nerds. it is, how you say, not canon.

"Stackpoling" is blamed on Michael A Stackpole after he used a character intentionally disabling the engine safeties to blow up their 'Mech a single time.

"Stackpoling" became a thing when Microsoft decided 'Mechs needed to blow up on death in Mechwarrior 4 and Mech Commander 2 to keep people from rushing into point blank range every fight. Some of the later authors, influenced by the computer games, started making 'Mechs detonate at the drop of a hat.

We should really call it "Pardoeing"

Edit: Either that, or we need to call "ejecting in clear view of 15 people but somehow not being noticed" Pardoeing.

Double Edit: Or possibly "making unnecessary references to the American Civil War to pad the pagecount"

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 16, 2018

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I used to play a Battletech MUX and when two mechs accidentally wound up in the same hex and collided they called it a 'stackpole'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Takuan posted:

I used to play a Battletech MUX and when two mechs accidentally wound up in the same hex and collided they called it a 'stackpole'

....that's just a charge attack though