Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

froglet posted:

if you truly wanted to replicate the "Eastern European Mad Queen" vibe you'd have to spend like $5000 to fill up your bath with unpasteurized milk. :barf:
the vibe doesn't cost me a cent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Drinkin the stank titty-sweat

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
There's an Australian company that sells milk pasteurised with high pressure instead of heat it's pretty neat

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

bandaid.friend posted:

There's an Australian company that sells milk pasteurised with high pressure instead of heat it's pretty neat

Honestly curious how this works, considering the definition of pasteurisation.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

http://www.madebycow.com.au/frequently-asked-questions/

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

So it hasn't been pasteurised. Thanks for confirming.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

real happy to be playing fucks with words, here, today, in dnd. thank's for conferming

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The moratorium on raw milk cheese production was partially lifted in some or all of Australia recently.
Raw milk cheese is nice so I'm glad it's possible to purchase it, as long as it's properly labelled and all that.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

bandaid.friend posted:

thank's for confermenting

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

EoinCannon posted:

The moratorium on raw milk cheese production was partially lifted in some or all of Australia recently.
Raw milk cheese is nice so I'm glad it's possible to purchase it, as long as it's properly labelled and all that.

Agreed.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I’m just not quite sure why, in the 21st century, anyone would want unpasteurized milk

Like Paul’s or whatever sells unhomogenised milk and it’s like whhhyyyy

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Recoome posted:

I’m just not quite sure why, in the 21st century, anyone would want unpasteurized milk

People are morons

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Recoome posted:

getting listeria to own the lefties

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Recoome posted:

And please take the flouride out of the water, I don't want my kids to have nice teeth.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Birdstrike posted:

getting listeria to own the lefties

It's usually lefties doing it though. That stupid part of it that believes in the perfection of nature and the EVILS of CHEMICALS.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

iajanus posted:

So it hasn't been pasteurised. Thanks for confirming.

Correct. It is Pascalisation.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Homogenisation is different from pasteurisation.

Old folk remember cream top milk left on their doorstep so unhomogenised milk is sold to nostalgic olds and as a pseudo premium product.

Then someone invented a cancer scare campaign regarding homogenisation of fats in milk and now health wankers buy it.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

Recoome posted:

Because unhomogenised milk is loving amazing, and has absolutely nothing to do with how safe it is to drink. It's means it has chunks of cream floating around in it. It's still pasteurised.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I just want milk that tastes like real milk.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I want milk that tastes like a chocolate milkshake

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

iajanus posted:

I want milk that tastes like a chocolate milkshake

How much is Kelloggs paying you?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I watched an episode of some Netflix cooking show about a relatively safe method of making unpasteurised cheese and I can see the appeal of having that wild bacteria flavour depth, similar to using your own wild yeast for sourdough bread I guess.

I suppose the milk thing is the same, I just don't drink enough to find it appealing. Well, that's my story

Also non-homogenised milk is gross, I don't want lumps of fat in my cup thanks

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

GrandMaster posted:

Because unhomogenised milk is loving amazing, and has absolutely nothing to do with how safe it is to drink. It's means it has chunks of cream floating around in it. It's still pasteurised.

Why would you want lumpy milk

i just don't really understand I guess, maybe it's because I grew up with homogenised milk

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I am lactose intolerant, and this conversation is triggering my shitposting

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Breast is best

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Pre-empting the move of BIG MILK to get non-cow sources of "milk" renamed, so we can call soy milk "Tofu Juice"

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was staying with my uncles in Ireland a few years back and we were drinking raw, unhomogenised milk from their dairy farm for a week on our muesli without realising it cos they keep it in supermarket milk cartons. It was really nice and lactosey sweet and creamy. I just thought Irish supermarket milk was that good until the penny dropped.

Also my dad got really, dangerously sick from raw milk from a sick cow when he was a kid. As nice as fresh, raw milk is, I don't like it enough to risk it

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 15, 2018

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Re-using cartons sounds a bit grody but

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bandaid.friend posted:

Re-using cartons sounds a bit grody but

They're pretty loose units

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
I remember reading a recipe asking for unhomogenised milkand thinking "oh I wonder what they need the separated out cream for?"

The recipe asked you to shake the bottle vigorously and all I could think was.... But that's kinda like homogenising it, why bother requiring unhomogenised milk when you're just going to shake it up and pour it in???

People are dumb. There's a company here that makes iced coffee out of unhomogenised milk and while it tastes ok I only buy it because there's no added sugar in it. The unhomogenised bit is kinda wanky.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

wow, imagine drinking milk in tyool 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's a farmer's union iced coffee or it's nothin

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

I just want milk that tastes like real milk.

nice av lol (it wasn't me)

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Kommando posted:

Correct. It is Pascalisation.

I wonder what that milk sellers angle is...hundreds of megapascals are needed to get any sort of useful antimicrobial effect, which is probably going to gently caress with the milk mixture as much as pasteurisation.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/adamgartrell/status/1018250373306314752

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

bell jar posted:

nice av lol (it wasn't me)

Why are people so unkind?

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

JBP posted:

Why are people so unkind?

Forget it, JBP. It's AusPol.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Sparticle posted:

wow, imagine drinking milk in tyool 2018

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
I'd drink raw milk if it was fresh (as in living-on-a-dairy-farm fresh) and shouldn't have had much time for bacteria to grow, but store-bought milk usually has to get transported so they need to kill off any bacteria before they have time to grow. But some people seem to think that food safety standards are just The Man keeping them from the cure to all ills until someone gets listeria from a rockmelon. Then nobody will eat rockmelons because The Man couldn't keep them safe.

Also unhomogenised full cream milk is delicious hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Pauline Hanson's In Carceration

• Locked thread