Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Franchescanado posted:

Fun little horror satire.

The Thin Red Line (1998; Terrence Mallick)

Probably the best film about war.

HUH.

Never seen it. Would you slot it ahead of Platoon, Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, Das Boot, MASH and Saving Private Ryan? Might have to check it out if so cause that's a high bar

TrixRabbi posted:

Bitterandtwisted, you get Deliverance

Outstanding choice. Was wondering when someone would get to that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

The only film in that batch that can maybe top Thin Red Line is Apocalypse Now.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

Yeah, agreed. Full Metal Jacket is probably the best film about the military, not necessarily war.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

TrixRabbi, Haven't seen any on your list, so random number generator says to see The Blot.

Just saw The Aviator. Leonardo DiCaprio did a very good job as Howard Hughes. Loved the time period and the music.DiCaprio was very believable with Hughes' OCD, and I loved the courtroom scene. Also the flying scenes were really well done. Highly recommended.

My List:
The Shootist - Feel like it's time for another John Wayne movie.

The Shawshank Redemption - This movie is referenced all the time, and yet I still haven't seen it. NEWEST

Jabberwocky - Following up one Terry Gilliam movie with another.

Sherlock Jr. - Another Buster Keaton movie.

The Cocoanuts - Working my way through the Marx Brothers movies. This is their first movie.

The Cat Returns - Need to see some more Studio Ghibli. Sequel to Whisper of the Heart OLDEST

Stray Dog - Starting to run out of Kurosawa films. What a great director.

Oklahoma - Don't know anything about it. Next on my musicals list.

Die Nibelungen - Interested in seeing another Fritz Lang picture.

To Catch a Thief - More Hitchcock here.

King Creole - Adding a new slot here for Elvis, Sinatra, Beatles movies. Starting with one of Elvis'.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Red Beard, Monty Python's The Life of Brian, Cars, Cool Hand Luke, The Public Enemy, Time Bandits, Adaptation, The Producers, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Gone With The Wind, My Fair Lady, City Lights, A Christmas Carol(1951), Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, West Side Story, Caddyshack, My Neighbor Totoro, Throne of Blood, The Phantom of the Opera, Yellow Submarine, Little Caesar, The Third Man, The Godfather, Persepolis, The Godfather Part II, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Invisible Man, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Bridge on the River Kwai, A Beautiful Mind, The Kid, Fiddler on the Roof, The Gold Rush, Metropolis, Rear Window, Enter the Dragon, Horse Feathers, The Great Dictator, Despicable Me, The Bad Sleep Well, The Wolf Man, Nosferatu, Patton, Howl's Moving Castle, The King and I, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Kiki's Delivery Service, The King's Speech, Grave of the Fireflies, Porco Rosso, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, The Graduate, Whisper of the Heart, The 39 Steps, Ran, Notorious, True Grit, North By Northwest, Rope, Dersu Uzala, Vertigo, Avatar, Gangs of New York, House of Wax, Wall Street, Life of Pi, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari,The Big Lebowski, Dial M for Murder, V For Vendetta, King Kong, Dodesukaden, Labyrinth, Reds,Seven Brides for Seven Brothers,Strangers on a Train,The Fast and the Furious, Faust, Eraserhead, A Day at the Races,The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Shadow of a Doubt, Lost in Translation, The General, The Aviator

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dmitri Russkie posted:

The Shawshank Redemption - This movie is referenced all the time, and yet I still haven't seen it. NEWEST

Shameful!

TrixRabbi posted:

[Society] is a brilliant film, one I both wish I saw much younger but also I don’t know if I would have appreciated it as much if I had.

A film worthy of a sequel.

BiggerBoat posted:

Would you slot it ahead of Platoon, Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, Das Boot, MASH and Saving Private Ryan? Might have to check it out if so cause that's a high bar

You should check out Come and See, Johnny Got His Gun, Red Angel, Cross of Iron if you haven't yet.

The Informer - A film about the dilemma some of the poor and destitute face at times. Snitching and getting instant reward money vs. being uber poor and not turning on friends. Victor McLaglen plays a big and imposing monster of a man named Gypo. His friend is an IRA murderer on the run who's been dodging the police by using the fog at opportune times.

Greed gets the best of Gypo and he turns his friend in to the Black and Tans (the constables fighting the IRA) for £20. The film alludes to him being a modern day Judas of sorts. He's a little like Franz Biberkopf (Gunter Lamprecht) in the Berlin Alexanderplatz (1980) TV series.

In a fit of despondency "King Gypo" squanders all his money in a variety of dumb ways to numb his guilty conscience: whiskey, fish and chips, handing money out randomly etc. To top it off he points the finger at someone else when the time comes.

The second half of the film is mainly a formality as it's mostly clear what'll happen. By the end Gypo learns the same lesson that Eddie Coyle learned in The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973). Informing can be hazardous to your health to put it mildly.

PS At times it also reminded me of The Crying Game (1992) and M (1931).

Also watched:

The Awful Truth - Another conniving and devilish Cary Grant character named Jerry is pitted against Irene Dunne's Lucy. It's mainly about marriage lies and perceived infidelities between couples. After they decide on a divorce they torture each other in a variety of ways. I saw the overall arc of what would happen very early on so it wasn't a surprise.

It showcases the couple's dog a lot. In some ways the dog is the star.

Older films from the 1930s through 1950s excelled in zingers and crackling dialogue and this one is no exception. Newer films employ cheaper and crasser stuff more often.

James Bond versus Godzilla (29/64 completed):

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla - Godzilla vs. Mechanical Godzilla. 5/18/18

Academy Award for Best Directing (86/91 completed):

1949 A Letter to Three Wives - Sounds like a polygamist classic. 2/27/18

1932 Bad Girl - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ_KbwEVBjU 3/23/18

1929 The Divine Lady - A love story of some sort. 2/27/18

1928 Two Arabian Knights - A WWI comedy. 2/20/18

Notebooks on Cinema's 100 Most Beautiful Films in the World (74/100 completed):

new #27 Pandora's Box - Another one I've heard good things about. 6/9/18

#50 The Story of a Cheat - I've never seen a Sacha Guitry film. 4/26/18

#61 The Dead - More of that procrastination. 5/29/18

#73 Rome, Open City - I've never seen a Roberto Rossellini film. A moment of classic shame. 5/13/18

new #79 The Scarlet Empress - I expect some strange atmospheres and settings if it's anything like The Shanghai Gesture. 6/9/18

Zogo fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 10, 2018

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

TrixRabbi posted:

All I know about Thin Red Line is that a friend of mine would never shut up about how it was so much better than Saving Private Ryan and it was an injustice that it wasn’t better known. Which might be true, but I got sick of his endless whining about Spielberg.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Jurgan posted:

All I know about Thin Red Line is that a friend of mine would never shut up about how it was so much better than Saving Private Ryan and it was an injustice that it wasn’t better known. Which might be true, but I got sick of his endless whining about Spielberg.

Saving Private Ryan is also a phenomenal movie and people who whine about Spielberg are so loving wrong.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

TrixRabbi posted:

Saving Private Ryan is also a phenomenal movie and people who whine about Spielberg are so loving wrong.

It's a huge accomplishment on a technical level, but in terms of actually examining World War II, or the concept of war itself, it's a pretty nothing film. The Thin Red Line, Apocalypse Now, and Paths of Glory all make statements that are infinitely more meaningful than anything Spielberg is saying in Saving Private Ryan(if anything).

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

It's a huge accomplishment on a technical level, but in terms of actually examining World War II, or the concept of war itself, it's a pretty nothing film. The Thin Red Line, Apocalypse Now, and Paths of Glory all make statements that are infinitely more meaningful than anything Spielberg is saying in Saving Private Ryan(if anything).

That's not true at all. It absolutely probes at the personal anguish and sacrifice of war, as well as the absurdity that the entire mission is more or less for a PR stunt by the military. It's a spiritual sequel to John Ford's Four Sons.

The scene where one of the soldiers is talking about how he used to pretend to be asleep when his mom would come home from work is one of the most heart-wrenching monologues of any film I can think of.

People confuse Spielberg's humanism for naivety. It's ridiculous.

Edit: One more thing. While I do think Thin Red Line is the better film, it’s got a higher reputation because it’s esoteric while Saving Private Ryan is accessible. Both films are equally passionate about the humanity and emotions of soldiers. In fact SPR blends that compassion with the same brutality and viciousness of the most violent moments of Apocalypse Now. It’s just as worthy a movie and deserves to be spoken of alongside them and Paths of Glory.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 11, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The "personal anguish of war" is like the easiest, simplest way to do a war film though, it's hardly ambitious or interesting compared to some of the themes examined in Paths of Glory or Apocalypse Now.

Whatever minor lip service is paid to the mission being an bullshit PR stunt is completely undercut by the extremely traditional and predictable way the plot plays out and finishes up.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I just edited my post but I’m going to simply say you’re completely and entirely wrong and Saving Private Ryan is way more complex than you’re giving it credit for. It’s a different approach to war, but it’s far from an empty one.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

And those are the top three War films for me. Full Metal Jacket and MASH are better films for examining military life, but not necessarily war.

TrixRabbi posted:

I just edited my post but I’m going to simply say you’re completely and entirely wrong and Saving Private Ryan is way more complex than you’re giving it credit for. It’s a different approach to war, but it’s far from an empty one.

Well then I guess we're both wrong because I agree with Basebf555.

Also, saying that The Thin Red Line has a higher reputation than Saving Private Ryan is ridiculous. Most people haven't even heard about TTRL, but if you mention "War Movie", the first movie mentioned is going to be Saving Private Ryan, followed by Apocalypse Now.

If the question is "What's the best movie about war?", then my answer is easily The Thin Red Line.
If the question is "What's the best war movie?", then I'm more comfortable with Saving Private Ryan being on the list.

Paths of Glory and The Thin Red Line are more powerful movies because they actively go against easy answers, and the themes blend together on many different layers. They're wonderfully complex and emotionally exhausting. Saving Private Ryan is maybe emotionally exhausting, sure, but it's themes aren't as complex. "This was a military PR stunt" isn't the most unique idea for a military movie in '98.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The best film about war is La Grande Illusion anyway.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

The best film about war is La Grande Illusion anyway.

Cool, I added it to my FilmStruck list.

edit: I am planning on revisiting Saving Private Ryan in the near future, so I may pop in with more thoughts on it after.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Yeah, piling on to say I think this is really wrong and that Saving Private Ryan was pretty loving great. There's also Schindler's List, since you seem to be ragging on Spielberg, which I count as a war movie. WW2 Vets are almost uniformly emotional when they watch SVP so it did something right.

If you guys are saying The Thin Red Line is that good...as good as most of the movies in this discussion, then I will definitely check it out. Sold.

Edit: as long as we're de-railing and someone said "movies about war vs. movies about being the military", what about The Deer Hunter? That seemed to be both.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 11, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
In no way was I ragging on Spielberg. But I am willing to nitpick that Schindler's List is a Holocaust movie, and not a war movie. It's less about a war and more about surviving human suffering because of injustice during war. But yeah, it's an amazing movie.

The question, as far as I read, wasn't if SPR is a good movie. It was asking how it compares to other specifically named war movies, which in my opinion, it is not as good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I love Spielberg, he's definitely one of my top-5 favorite directors of all-time. And I'm not even saying SPR is a bad movie, it's an excellent movie on a lot of levels. Thematically though, it simply doesn't have the depth that the other films mentioned have.

I'm sorry but "war is hell" or "war creates unlikely heroes" are not themes that are ground breaking or thought-provoking in any way. If I'm being generous, the most interesting theme in SPR might be "individuals find their own personal meaning in war" but even that is not much of a statement.

That's what Spielberg lacks, and what makes it tough for him to fit his style properly into a war film. He almost always takes a "the truth is what you make of it" approach that works for a lot of the various genres he's played around in over the years but with war films you really have to make a strong and clear statement imo.

BiggerBoat posted:

WW2 Vets are almost uniformly emotional when they watch SVP so it did something right.

There are a few reasons why that would be the case. First, Saving Private Ryan is just extremely visceral and exhausting, and I'd imagine that actual WWII vets would react to those images very intensely. Secondly, the film makes vets feel good about their actions, not question them. It allows vets to look back at WWII and say "we did what we had to do". And that's the luxury of a fictional story set during WWII, the most uncontroversial war in our modern history. You don't have to portray anything that would make vets or people who are pro-military feel too uncomfortable.

For these reasons, Munich is much more effective as a war film. In Munich Spielberg shies away from the tougher issues much less than he does in SPL.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 11, 2018

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Yeah, I assume when people say Saving Private Ryan isn't a good war film, what they mean is that it's not a good anti-war film, and they're sort of right because it isn't actually anti-war.

Which doesn't mean that it's not one of the best films about the experience of war though.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Zogo gets:

Zogo posted:

#73 Rome, Open City - I've never seen a Roberto Rossellini film. A moment of classic shame. 5/13/18

Deliverance
Going in, I knew about the "squeal like a pig" scene and I suppose I expected more of a Hills have Eyes affair, but this was very restrained and devotes a good chunk to how the four men react to the fact they killed someone and the unlikelihood of fair treatment by the tight-knit community of yokels.
Here is where we see the difference in the main characters, with Lewis' gung-ho attitude contrasted with the abhorrence of Drew, with Ed being forced to pick a side. Each character brings something to the group dynamic.
There's a great juxtaposition of Georgia's natural beauty and the ugliness of the human elements; the people are impoverished with missing teeth and signs of "genetic deficiency" as Ned Beatty put it, they live in wooden shanty homes and there are piles of old junker cars and the whole reason for the canoe trip is the impending flooding of the area by dam construction.
I'm glad the peril was all during the day as it would have been so easy to put in a scene where they were hunted at night in a spooky wood, which would have undermined that somewhat.

My List:

1) (highest ranked imdb) Life is Beautiful

2) (classic comedy) The Producers (1967) I've loved 50% of Mel Brooks' films that I've seen

3) (animation) The Lord of the Rings (1978) The books and Jackson's films were favourites of my childhood/teenage years and I'd like to see this oddball one.

4) (Academy Award winner) On the Waterfront A contender

5) (foreign language) M (1931) Silent era director makes his first talkie.

6) (Monster) The Creature from the Black Lagoon So this guy's a sex symbol now right?

7) (Horror) Rosemary's Baby It's just very well known

8) (sci fi/fantasy) Minority Report I like P.K. Dick

9) (epic) Ben Hur (1959) Probably the first thing that comes into my head when I think of the term 'epic film'

10) (wildcard) Eraserhead Lynch's most iconic film

Watched (28): Taxi Driver; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Iron Giant; Platoon; American History X; City Lights; My Neighbour Totoro; Rashomon; Duck Soup; Friday 13th (1980); Birdman; Frankenstein (1931); Time Bandits; Carrie (1976); King Kong (1933); Das Boot; The Blair Witch Project (1999); The Sting; Annie Hall; The Bridge on the River Kwai; The Cabinet of Dr Caligari; Godzilla (1954); Bicycle Thieves; The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974); The English Patient; Scanners; Forbidden Planet; Deliverance

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Basebf555 posted:

The "personal anguish of war" is like the easiest, simplest way to do a war film though, it's hardly ambitious or interesting compared to some of the themes examined in Paths of Glory or Apocalypse Now.

Whatever minor lip service is paid to the mission being an bullshit PR stunt is completely undercut by the extremely traditional and predictable way the plot plays out and finishes up.

I haven’t seen SPR since it was in theaters, but I think of it as a masterful presentation of a fairly simple message. And there’s nothing wrong with that, but it’s ironic that the same friend who complained about it loved Avatar.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jurgan posted:

I haven’t seen SPR since it was in theaters, but I think of it as a masterful presentation of a fairly simple message. And there’s nothing wrong with that, but it’s ironic that the same friend who complained about it loved Avatar.

The presentation is masterful, no doubt. It's full of excellent actors, great production design, and amazing special effects.

The message is trite at best and offensive at worst, depending on your politics.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

You guys raise some good and interesting points about the various things that war films focus on. I'll definitely check out Thin Red Line.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Spielberg always moves towards positive catharsis, which obviously influences the subjects - you could read this as naive, cynical, or merely optimistic.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

bitterandtwisted posted:

6) (Monster) The Creature from the Black Lagoon So this guy's a sex symbol now right?

Try this one next.

Rome, Open City - A glimpse into the real resistance going on in Rome and those hoping for liberation. It's another brutal look at another aspect of WWII. People going through really tough times. Hungry people raiding and rushing bakeries. Trying to avoid the occupiers dead set on tracking Italians while the curfews are lifted.

It has brief moments of action but it mostly covers the tension. I was reminded of The Great Escape (1963) but this one is a lot gloomier overall. We follow a priest who's in on the underground happenings and gets too involved for his own good. As he's eventually put in front of a firing squad.

Life goes on in cities under siege and even in internment camps: marriages etc. The film stands out in showing gory torture scenes with blowtorches and whips etc. as decadent, prim and proper Nazis carry out interrogations for little bits of information.

Like many films concerning the Second World War that actually were shot during the war there's an emphasis on religious aspects. People looking for a deity to rescue them and fix the gigantic mess that the humans have made.

It doesn't shy away from the dark aspects as it shows how even little kids turn into terrorists. And how seemingly innocent characters are actually not. The best twist occurs when a woman named Marina Mari (Maria Michi), presumed to be a harmless cabaret dancer, is actually trading information and people in for loot, plunder and various wares.

The film nears completion with a man hanging himself to avoid interrogation and the local kids seeing their priest shot dead. That's how you end a war movie.

James Bond versus Godzilla (29/64 completed):

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla - Godzilla vs. Mechanical Godzilla. 5/18/18

Notebooks on Cinema's 100 Most Beautiful Films in the World (75/100 completed):

#27 Pandora's Box - Another one I've heard good things about. 6/9/18

#79 The Scarlet Empress - I expect some strange atmospheres and settings if it's anything like The Shanghai Gesture. 6/9/18

new #85 A Star Is Born (1954) - There's a 1937 version and a 1954 version and a 1976 version and a 2018 version. And I haven't seen any of them. 6/14/18

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 14, 2018

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Zogo, watch Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla and witness the might.

The Blot (1921)
dir. Lois Weber

Like many of the American silent cinema's great directors, Lois Weber was a moral storyteller. Raised as a devout Christian and spending time in her youth as a street evangelist and activist, she brought to her films an urgency to unveil social injustice as she perceived it. Although recognized as one of early cinema's best (and close to only) female filmmaker, Weber was anti-abortion and made 1916's Where Are My Children? to protest what she saw as an inhumane act. Her film Hypocrites is a religious fable decrying corruption among the clergy (it's likely one of the earliest masterpieces of filmmaking in my opinion).

The Blot, however, does not lean on religion as heavily. It is a social realist drama, focused on poverty and despair. The film concerns the family of a university professor who makes a sub-living wage, leaving his family destitute. Their neighbors are foreigners who make a rich living through the father's shoe shop. The professor's students are even richer -- the sons of congressmen and oligarchs. One student, Phil West, is the son of a trustee in the University, and he becomes infatuated with the professor's daughter Amelia. She initially rejects his advances, but ultimately he inserts himself into the life of the family. When Amelia falls ill he tries to offer financial aid, which is rejected out of pride. One day, the mother in desperation tries to steal a chicken from the neighbor's window sill, but quickly returns it out of guilt. Amelia sees her mother steal the chicken, but faints before seeing the change of heart, and falls deeper into despair that her family has been driven to crime.

Displaying a certain class consciousness, Weber depicts the poor as noble people down on their luck and the rich as noble people who are merely unaware of the poverty that surrounds them. It is when Phil witnesses this life for himself that he is able to serve as a savior. But there's truth to how Weber shows the anguish of being unable to afford food, the pain who being reduced to criminality. Her camera focuses largely on the pain of the women, mother and daughter are both washed away in the shame of being poor.

While the pacing is a bit slow, The Blot is still a strong feature, and its message overall holds up better than the moral grandstanding displayed in Weber's other moralizing tales like Where Are My Children?

My List:

Ciao! Manhattan (1972) - Another Warhol star, featuring Edie Sedgwick shortly before she died and released posthumously. (Added 4/23/2017)

Les Rendez-vous d'Anna (1978) - From the ever underrated master, Chantal Akerman. (Added 7/6/2017)

La Pointe-Courte (1955) - I've seen a handful of Agnes Varda films but not her major works, so let's start at the beginning. (Added 8/20/2017)

The Adventures of Prince Achmed (1926) - A major silent era classic that's been a blindspot for me for too long. (Added 3/13/2018)

Audition (1999) - A light romp. (Added 4/24/2018)

Point Break (1991) - Ok, seriously how haven't I seen this one yet? (Added 4/25/2018)

Someone to Watch Over Me (1987) - The Ridley Scott Slot. I don't think I've ever heard one person ever bring up this movie in conversation or on the internet ever. But it's got good reviews! (Added 5/30/2018)

Alexander Nevsky (1938) - Sergei Eisenstein is probably one of my favorite filmmakers but I still have seen much of his later sound work. (Added 6/2/2018)

Gaslight (1944) - I’ve read enough thinkpieces about the concept, I should probably see the original. (Added 6/9/2018)

Carol (2015) - Harold, they're lesbians! (Added 6/16/2018)

Watched: Fort Apache; Damnation; Ran; Ordet; Purple Rain; Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages; Napoléon; Yi Yi; Faces; The Blood of a Poet; The War Room; Sanjuro; The Testament of Dr. Mabuse; Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key; Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace; Flooding with Love for the Kid; Soylent Green; The Most Dangerous Game; Street Trash; The Avenging Conscience; The Spook Who Sat By the Door; Bringing Up Baby; The Life of Juanita Castro; The Hour of the Furnaces; Au hasard Balthazar; Surname Viet Given Name Nam; Seconds; My Dinner with Andre; The Thin Man; What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?; All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace; The Passion of the Christ; Grand Illusion; Fanny and Alexander; Passages from James Joyce's Finnegans Wake; Starship Troopers; Little Lord Fauntleroy; Last Summer; Total Recall; The Blood of Jesus; I Shot Andy Warhol; Manchester by the Sea; Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome; The Viking; The Treasure of the Sierra Madre; Of Gods and the Undead; The Hitch-Hiker; Nerves; The Phantom of Liberty; As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty; The Duellists; Kiss Me Deadly; Heat; The Civil War; Forbidden Planet; Cairo Station; Tetsuo, the Iron Man; Legend; Sansho the Bailiff; Society; The Blot (TOTAL: 62)

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

RNG gives you:

TrixRabbi posted:

La Pointe-Courte (1955) - I've seen a handful of Agnes Varda films but not her major works, so let's start at the beginning. (Added 8/20/2017)

The Creature from the Black Lagoon

Not a huge amount to say about this one, it hits all the beats and cliches I expected. Lots of reaction shots from people before being attacked by the creature, lots of screaming from the damsel in distress.
The slow reveal of the creature was pretty good, we only see the hand for the fist half hour. The creature's face has some articulation including moving gills and is definitely less goofy in context than I expected.
Some good underwater photography.
The tension ramps up towards the end and I liked when the boat captain put Tough Guy in his place. gently caress that guy.

I like that it's small in scale, just the creature and these people on the boat.

My List:

2) (classic comedy) The Producers (1967) I've loved 50% of Mel Brooks' films that I've seen

3) (animation) The Lord of the Rings (1978) The books and Jackson's films were favourites of my childhood/teenage years and I'd like to see this oddball one.

6) (Monster) Dracula (1958) I've never seen a Hammer Horror

9) (epic) Ben Hur (1959) Probably the first thing that comes into my head when I think of the term 'epic film'

Watched (29): Taxi Driver; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Iron Giant; Platoon; American History X; City Lights; My Neighbour Totoro; Rashomon; Duck Soup; Friday 13th (1980); Birdman; Frankenstein (1931); Time Bandits; Carrie (1976); King Kong (1933); Das Boot; The Blair Witch Project (1999); The Sting; Annie Hall; The Bridge on the River Kwai; The Cabinet of Dr Caligari; Godzilla (1954); Bicycle Thieves; The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974); The English Patient; Scanners; Forbidden Planet; Deliverance; The Creature from the Black Lagoon

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

bitterandtwisted posted:

Next one for you.

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla - One of the more iconic films in the already iconic series. A priestess has prophetic visions of destruction and faints while aliens create a faux, anti-Godzilla. This cyborg doppelganger looks like the real thing but sounds a little different.

Soon Mechagodzilla is destroying stuff and the priestess summons a new bonus monster before the real Godzilla shows up. King Caesar awakens from hibernation and despite having the ability to reflect damage is no match for Mechagodzilla. Meanwhile, Godzilla is struck by lightning and gains the ability to turn himself into a magnet. This surely will come into use against a giant metal monster.

As usual there's also the small world stuff going on in the midst of the monsters fighting. The aliens (who look like gorillas) are hiding out in a cave covered in stalactites and stalagmites. They abduct some humans and force them to repair Mechagodzilla at one point. While different in appearance they do behave like generic villains from a James Bond film.

The highlight of the film is seeing Mechagodzilla unleash a wide range of different laser attacks. Ultimately, it's all for naught as Godzilla gets angry and rips his head off.

James Bond versus Godzilla (30/64 completed):

Notebooks on Cinema's 100 Most Beautiful Films in the World (75/100 completed):

new #74 Sense AKA Senso - I haven't heard much about this one. 6/19/18

#79 The Scarlet Empress - I expect some strange atmospheres and settings if it's anything like The Shanghai Gesture. 6/9/18

#85 A Star Is Born (1954) - There's a 1937 version and a 1954 version and a 1976 version and a 2018 version. And I haven't seen any of them. 6/14/18

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Zogo posted:

Is this the John Huston film? Regardless, I choose this.

[Safe]
I completely understand why this launched Julianne Moore's career to the next level, being her first starring role. What a performance in what has turned into the kind of thing we just expect from her nowadays. Todd Haynes' meticulously crafted psychological drama about a housewife Carol White, who's uninteresting life gets complicated following the start of a 'fruit diet' with her friend Linda. As great as Moore is, the framing and the symbolism of it is the star for me - as well as the score which felt straight out of Lynch's Twin Peaks. The entire film, start to finish, is unsettling and nerve-wracking, and one of these days I'll have to sit myself down and watch it again. It deserves it.

LIST

Amy [2015 - 128mins] - (2018.05.19) - don't know much about her or her music but have heard great things about this film. (documentary)

Beauty and the Beast [1946 - 96mins] - **NEW** (2018.06.24) - I love the Disney film and I've had this for far too long not to have watched it. (Criterion)

The Best of Youth [2003 - 366mins!] - (2018.05.01) - if I'm ever going to commit to watch this one, it'll be from this list. (unwatched DVD)

Cactus Flower [1969 - 103mins] - **OLDEST** (2017.04.28) - my Walter Matthau choice, and with Ingrid Bergman! (Walter Matthau)

Irma La Douce [1963 - 135mins] - (2018.05.17) - another 2+hr Lemmon/Wilder collaboration .. & Shirley MacLaine returns! (Jack Lemmon)

The King of Marvin Gardens [1972 - 103mins] - (2018.05.24) - Jack Nicholson, Ellen Burstyn & Bruce Dern.. should be good! (blind-bought boxsets)

The Little Foxes [1941 - 115mins] - (2018.04.21) - from one of Bette's later roles in 'Sweet Charlotte to one of her earlier ones. (Bette Davis)

My Darling Clementine [1946 - 97mins] - (2017.09.02) - Westerns still aren't a top priority, even after loving just about every one I watch. (western)

Paprika [2006 - 90mins] - (2018.03.23) - I've only watched Millennium Actress from director Satoshi Kon... I want to see more. (animated)

Wings [1927 - 144mins] - (2018.02.18) - adding the first Best Picture winner to hopefully get this in before the Oscars ... [too late now] (unwatched bluray)

De-shamed Pt2: True Romance (4/5), The Right Stuff (3/5), Syndromes And A Century (4/5), Still Life (3/5), My Cousin Vinny (2.5/5), Doctor Zhivago (3.5/5), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (4.5/5), Peeping Tom (4/5), Shadow of a Doubt (4.5/5), The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (4.5/5), Only Angels Have Wings (4/5), Umberto D (4/5), Anatomy of a Murder (4.5/5), Only God Forgives (1.5/5), Missing (3.5/5), Howl's Moving Castle (4.5/5), Rio Bravo (4/5), Cloud Atlas (3.5/5), Children of Paradise (4/5), That Obscure Object of Desire (5/5), The Fountain (3/5), Malcolm X (4/5), Warrior (4/5), American Movie (4/5), Being There (4/5), Leaving Las Vegas (4.5/5), Rope (4/5), Ed Wood (4.5/5), American Hustle (2.5/5), The Man Who Knew Too Much (3.5/5), Mister Roberts (4/5), Charley Varrick (4/5), A Face in the Crowd (4.5/5), Farewell My Concubine (3.5/5), Slacker (3.5/5), Drugstore Cowboy (4.5/5), Love and Death (3.5/5), Fantastic Mr. Fox (4.5/5), A Scanner Darkly (4/5), Marketa Lazarova (5/5), A Clockwork Orange (4.5/5), The Fly (5/5), Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (5/5), King Kong (5/5), Gilda (3.5/5), Airplane! (4/5), Nobody Knows (4.5/5), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (4.5/5), Dark Victory (3.5/5), Dead Man (4.5/5), Shane (4/5), Fail-Safe (4.5/5), It Should Happen To You! (4/5), I Killed My Mother (4/5), Bringing Up Baby (5/5), Happiness (1/5), The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (2.5/5), Russian Ark (4/5), Don't Look Now (3.5/5), Rome Open City (4/5), Let the Right One In (4.5/5), Woman in the Dunes (5/5), Brief Encounter (4.5/5), Night of the Living Dead (5/5), My Dinner with Andre (4/5), Inland Empire (1/5), A Matter of Life and Death (4.5/5), Broadcast News (4.5/5), The Last Detail (4/5), Run Lola Run (4/5), Chimes at Midnight (2/5), The Conformist (4.5/5), Castle in the Sky (5/5), Watership Down (4/5), Sophie's Choice (4/5), Ordet (2/5), Born on the Fourth of July (3.5/5), The Young Girls of Rochefort (4.5/5), Patton (4/5), Mon Oncle (4.5/5), The Big City (4.5/5), Only Yesterday (5/5), The Silence (4.5/5), Life Itself (4/5), Chicken Run (4/5), Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte (4/5), The Last Emperor (3.5/5), In the Heat of the Night (4/5), Animal Crackers (3.5/5), Avanti! (3.5/5), Grizzly Man (4/5), Lola (4.5/5), Safe (4.5/5), [Total:193]

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

friendo55 posted:

Paprika [2006 - 90mins] - (2018.03.23) - I've only watched Millennium Actress from director Satoshi Kon... I want to see more. (animated)

Watch this!!

Mine:
Roman Holiday - Launched a popular trope. Have not seen a Hepburn film, ever.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - Everyone's favorite Star Trek movie amirite
Lawrence of Arabia - Too loving long I guess.
The Terminator - I've never actually seen the first one. I think knowing its context makes Terminator 2 even greater.
Rashomon - I've never seen a Kurosawa film! This one interests me the most.
The Fifth Element - I keep hearing good things about this and would like to try?
The Great Dictator - I've read the speech, and I'm interested.
Akira - Lol I have no loving excuse really

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Schneider Heim posted:

Rashomon - I've never seen a Kurosawa film! This one interests me the most.

Do it. Kurosawa is wonderful, and you have a long list of treasures ahead of you if this is your first.

Sansho the Bailiff felt underwhelming...initially. I think it's possibly due to its reputation as a stone cold masterpiece of classic Japanese cinema. So naturally, unfairly, there's a bit of an "impress me" factor to kick it all off. That's on me, I'll admit.

Upon reflection, given a bit of thought, I get it. It's a quiet, contemplative, and righteous film. It stands to reason that in exploring the virtues of mercy above all else that this would not be a rousing action film, and if Ugetsu were any indication I should have known.

Without spoiling anything, the movie sneaks up on you. It's not really even until the final moments that how palpable the sorrow and anguish had been and how well it had been built into the narrative. Zushio is so determined to move forward that his momentum rarely allows contemplation or even a proper assessment of how off the rails his life has gone after being ripped from his mother's loving arms (a sadly relevant event) alongside his sister and sold into slavery and his decade-long struggle under the thumb of Sansho while attempting to hold onto his father's merciful philosophy. When I realized his sister, Anju, was drowning herself my jaw dropped. It was one of the biggest shocks in a movie I've seen lately..

I need more Mizoguchi eventually. Where should I go next?

LIST O SHAME

1) 35 Shots of Rhum - Man, Claire Denis' movies are relatively tricky to find. This one is easier than others...so I'll start here.

2) The White Ribbon - It's taken me a long time to get into Haneke, but I want to keep going.

3) Paprika - Anime from the creator of Perfect Blue, which I was a fan of. Figured I should see another.

4) The Exterminating Angel - I've barely dipped my toe into Bunuel's filmography.

5) Starlet - Sean Baker before Tangerine and The Florida Project.

6) Harvey - Always thought this looked super hokey...but I like Jimmy Stewart and this is generally beloved, but I need a push.

7) Topsy Turvy - Ahhh Mike Leigh, looks less downtrodden than some of his work, but I'm still generally a novice with him.

8) Joint Security Area - I've seen, and loved, most of Park Chan-wook's movies, but haven't seen this one.

9) All That Jazz - Bob Fosse is a blind spot.

10) La Silence de La Mer - Jean Pierre Melville is excellent. I've liked everything I've seen.

SHAME BE GONE (PART DEUX): Top Secret!, Yi Yi, New York New York, Rio Bravo, Dogtooth, Song of the Sea, The Fog, A Touch of Zen, Walkabout, Starman, Young Girls of Rochefort, Cléo From 5 to 7, Sansho the Bailiff (Total: 13)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

friendo55 posted:

[Safe]
I completely understand why this launched Julianne Moore's career to the next level, being her first starring role. What a performance in what has turned into the kind of thing we just expect from her nowadays. Todd Haynes' meticulously crafted psychological drama about a housewife Carol White, who's uninteresting life gets complicated following the start of a 'fruit diet' with her friend Linda. As great as Moore is, the framing and the symbolism of it is the star for me - as well as the score which felt straight out of Lynch's Twin Peaks. The entire film, start to finish, is unsettling and nerve-wracking, and one of these days I'll have to sit myself down and watch it again. It deserves it.

LIST

Amy [2015 - 128mins] - (2018.05.19) - don't know much about her or her music but have heard great things about this film. (documentary)

Beauty and the Beast [1946 - 96mins] - **NEW** (2018.06.24) - I love the Disney film and I've had this for far too long not to have watched it. (Criterion)

The Best of Youth [2003 - 366mins!] - (2018.05.01) - if I'm ever going to commit to watch this one, it'll be from this list. (unwatched DVD)

Cactus Flower [1969 - 103mins] - **OLDEST** (2017.04.28) - my Walter Matthau choice, and with Ingrid Bergman! (Walter Matthau)

Irma La Douce [1963 - 135mins] - (2018.05.17) - another 2+hr Lemmon/Wilder collaboration .. & Shirley MacLaine returns! (Jack Lemmon)

The King of Marvin Gardens [1972 - 103mins] - (2018.05.24) - Jack Nicholson, Ellen Burstyn & Bruce Dern.. should be good! (blind-bought boxsets)

The Little Foxes [1941 - 115mins] - (2018.04.21) - from one of Bette's later roles in 'Sweet Charlotte to one of her earlier ones. (Bette Davis)

My Darling Clementine [1946 - 97mins] - (2017.09.02) - Westerns still aren't a top priority, even after loving just about every one I watch. (western)

Wings [1927 - 144mins] - (2018.02.18) - adding the first Best Picture winner to hopefully get this in before the Oscars ... [too late now] (unwatched bluray)

De-shamed Pt2: True Romance (4/5), The Right Stuff (3/5), Syndromes And A Century (4/5), Still Life (3/5), My Cousin Vinny (2.5/5), Doctor Zhivago (3.5/5), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (4.5/5), Peeping Tom (4/5), Shadow of a Doubt (4.5/5), The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (4.5/5), Only Angels Have Wings (4/5), Umberto D (4/5), Anatomy of a Murder (4.5/5), Only God Forgives (1.5/5), Missing (3.5/5), Howl's Moving Castle (4.5/5), Rio Bravo (4/5), Cloud Atlas (3.5/5), Children of Paradise (4/5), That Obscure Object of Desire (5/5), The Fountain (3/5), Malcolm X (4/5), Warrior (4/5), American Movie (4/5), Being There (4/5), Leaving Las Vegas (4.5/5), Rope (4/5), Ed Wood (4.5/5), American Hustle (2.5/5), The Man Who Knew Too Much (3.5/5), Mister Roberts (4/5), Charley Varrick (4/5), A Face in the Crowd (4.5/5), Farewell My Concubine (3.5/5), Slacker (3.5/5), Drugstore Cowboy (4.5/5), Love and Death (3.5/5), Fantastic Mr. Fox (4.5/5), A Scanner Darkly (4/5), Marketa Lazarova (5/5), A Clockwork Orange (4.5/5), The Fly (5/5), Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (5/5), King Kong (5/5), Gilda (3.5/5), Airplane! (4/5), Nobody Knows (4.5/5), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (4.5/5), Dark Victory (3.5/5), Dead Man (4.5/5), Shane (4/5), Fail-Safe (4.5/5), It Should Happen To You! (4/5), I Killed My Mother (4/5), Bringing Up Baby (5/5), Happiness (1/5), The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (2.5/5), Russian Ark (4/5), Don't Look Now (3.5/5), Rome Open City (4/5), Let the Right One In (4.5/5), Woman in the Dunes (5/5), Brief Encounter (4.5/5), Night of the Living Dead (5/5), My Dinner with Andre (4/5), Inland Empire (1/5), A Matter of Life and Death (4.5/5), Broadcast News (4.5/5), The Last Detail (4/5), Run Lola Run (4/5), Chimes at Midnight (2/5), The Conformist (4.5/5), Castle in the Sky (5/5), Watership Down (4/5), Sophie's Choice (4/5), Ordet (2/5), Born on the Fourth of July (3.5/5), The Young Girls of Rochefort (4.5/5), Patton (4/5), Mon Oncle (4.5/5), The Big City (4.5/5), Only Yesterday (5/5), The Silence (4.5/5), Life Itself (4/5), Chicken Run (4/5), Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte (4/5), The Last Emperor (3.5/5), In the Heat of the Night (4/5), Animal Crackers (3.5/5), Avanti! (3.5/5), Grizzly Man (4/5), Lola (4.5/5), Safe (4.5/5), [Total:193]

Safe is unfuckwithable

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

It's a long time since I saw this, but I remember liking it:

Ratedargh posted:

6) Harvey - Always thought this looked super hokey...but I like Jimmy Stewart and this is generally beloved, but I need a push.

Life is Beautiful

A comedy-drama set in the holocaust is an odd choice to say the least.
The first half is very light and slapstick, with runaway cars and eggs falling on people's heads. The second half is a concentration camp.
We the audience are, like Benigni's son, sheltered from the horrors of the camp, which are all implied and offscreen. People disappear. Smoke rises from chimneys.
It takes the subject matter seriously, but it's sentimental and sanitised and I'm not surprised it had mixed responses from Jews (Mel Brooks really disliked it).
Roberto Benigni is a very charismatic and funny lead, which is just as well as the film is focused so strongly on him and his character's manic nature could have just been exhausting.

My List:

1) (highest ranked imdb) Avengers: Infinity War Major superhero fatigue.

Watched (30): Taxi Driver; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Iron Giant; Platoon; American History X; City Lights; My Neighbour Totoro; Rashomon; Duck Soup; Friday 13th (1980); Birdman; Frankenstein (1931); Time Bandits; Carrie (1976); King Kong (1933); Das Boot; The Blair Witch Project (1999); The Sting; Annie Hall; The Bridge on the River Kwai; The Cabinet of Dr Caligari; Godzilla (1954); Bicycle Thieves; The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974); The English Patient; Scanners; Forbidden Planet; Deliverance; The Creature from the Black Lagoon; Life is Beautiful

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I've just been lurking this thread but thanks to whoever mentioned Amy

It's a good companion piece to Montage of Heck (are they still working on new Cobain biopics?)

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

bitterandtwisted posted:

I love this film and I hope you do too!

Paprika
Although very different movies narratively, I feel sorta the same way I did after watching Akira - amazed and in awe, but overwhelmed and a need to see it again to piece it all together. Here, with Paprika, only moreso. It's certainly an astounding achievement visually, with so much happening on screen and so much depth and realism - even the vast size comparison of Dr Chiba and the giant Dr Tokita was always fun to watch. I also get it now where I kept hearing the comparisons when Nolan's Inception came out back in 2010. I kinda want my own DC Mini... but after all this, maybe not. Anyway, I really can't say much more until I see it again, or even just to let it process some more. But I know I loved it.

LIST

Beauty and the Beast [1946 - 96mins] - (2018.06.24) - I love the Disney film and I've had this for far too long not to have watched it. (Criterion)

Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit [2005 - 94mins] - **NEW** (2018.07.03) - very strange I haven't watched this yet... (animated)

De-shamed Pt2: True Romance (4/5), The Right Stuff (3/5), Syndromes And A Century (4/5), Still Life (3/5), My Cousin Vinny (2.5/5), Doctor Zhivago (3.5/5), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (4.5/5), Peeping Tom (4/5), Shadow of a Doubt (4.5/5), The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (4.5/5), Only Angels Have Wings (4/5), Umberto D (4/5), Anatomy of a Murder (4.5/5), Only God Forgives (1.5/5), Missing (3.5/5), Howl's Moving Castle (4.5/5), Rio Bravo (4/5), Cloud Atlas (3.5/5), Children of Paradise (4/5), That Obscure Object of Desire (5/5), The Fountain (3/5), Malcolm X (4/5), Warrior (4/5), American Movie (4/5), Being There (4/5), Leaving Las Vegas (4.5/5), Rope (4/5), Ed Wood (4.5/5), American Hustle (2.5/5), The Man Who Knew Too Much (3.5/5), Mister Roberts (4/5), Charley Varrick (4/5), A Face in the Crowd (4.5/5), Farewell My Concubine (3.5/5), Slacker (3.5/5), Drugstore Cowboy (4.5/5), Love and Death (3.5/5), Fantastic Mr. Fox (4.5/5), A Scanner Darkly (4/5), Marketa Lazarova (5/5), A Clockwork Orange (4.5/5), The Fly (5/5), Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (5/5), King Kong (5/5), Gilda (3.5/5), Airplane! (4/5), Nobody Knows (4.5/5), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (4.5/5), Dark Victory (3.5/5), Dead Man (4.5/5), Shane (4/5), Fail-Safe (4.5/5), It Should Happen To You! (4/5), I Killed My Mother (4/5), Bringing Up Baby (5/5), Happiness (1/5), The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (2.5/5), Russian Ark (4/5), Don't Look Now (3.5/5), Rome Open City (4/5), Let the Right One In (4.5/5), Woman in the Dunes (5/5), Brief Encounter (4.5/5), Night of the Living Dead (5/5), My Dinner with Andre (4/5), Inland Empire (1/5), A Matter of Life and Death (4.5/5), Broadcast News (4.5/5), The Last Detail (4/5), Run Lola Run (4/5), Chimes at Midnight (2/5), The Conformist (4.5/5), Castle in the Sky (5/5), Watership Down (4/5), Sophie's Choice (4/5), Ordet (2/5), Born on the Fourth of July (3.5/5), The Young Girls of Rochefort (4.5/5), Patton (4/5), Mon Oncle (4.5/5), The Big City (4.5/5), Only Yesterday (5/5), The Silence (4.5/5), Life Itself (4/5), Chicken Run (4/5), Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte (4/5), The Last Emperor (3.5/5), In the Heat of the Night (4/5), Animal Crackers (3.5/5), Avanti! (3.5/5), Grizzly Man (4/5), Lola (4.5/5), Safe (4.5/5), Paprika (4.5/5), [Total:193]

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Friendo, I'm guessing you've seen the shorts, so check out

quote:

Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit [2005 - 94mins] - **NEW** (2018.07.03) - very strange I haven't watched this yet... (animated)

Minority Report

Tom Cruise catches murderers before they kill.
Sci fi films based around a neat central concept are extremely my bag. It's more an action film than a high brow exploration of free will versus fate, but it touches on those themes enough that it didn't feel like a wasted opportunity.
It does a good job of quickly setting up the rules of this world during the first case. Pre-meditated murders are almost unheard of now that the population at large is convinced they can't escape justice, leaving only crimes of passion.
Tonewise I was most reminded of Inception, which I also liked a lot.
There's a strong ipod aesthetic that makes the film look a bit dated at times, but not in a bad way. The cars look like gaming mice. At the same time, it looks lived in. The personalised ads were a nice touch, very Black Mirrorish.

My List:

1) (highest ranked imdb) Avengers: Infinity War Major superhero fatigue.

8) (sci fi/fantasy) Solaris (1972) I keep seeing it on greatest sci-fi lists

Watched (31): Taxi Driver; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Iron Giant; Platoon; American History X; City Lights; My Neighbour Totoro; Rashomon; Duck Soup; Friday 13th (1980); Birdman; Frankenstein (1931); Time Bandits; Carrie (1976); King Kong (1933); Das Boot; The Blair Witch Project (1999); The Sting; Annie Hall; The Bridge on the River Kwai; The Cabinet of Dr Caligari; Godzilla (1954); Bicycle Thieves; The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974); The English Patient; Scanners; Forbidden Planet; Deliverance; The Creature from the Black Lagoon; Life is Beautiful; Minority Report

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

bitterandtwisted posted:

Try this one next.

The Dead - Parochial and stuffy characters hash out some things at a dinner party in early 1900s Ireland. There's also one drunk character who adds humor and confusion to many of the conversations. Parlor entertainment like piano playing, recitations, dancing and singing also go on. It's a pretty ordinary night of festivities.

The highlight was the poetic ending which touches on mortality as a character recalls sad memories regarding an old friend who died years back.

If you like Gosford Park (2001) or Downton Abbey (2010-2015) you'll find that this film has some similarities.

Also watched:

A Letter to Three Wives - A woman sends a letter to three acquaintances and it sends them reeling. Addie Ross has stolen one of their husbands. Most films that deal with infidelity offer couples who engage in grating, tedious arguments that just aren't entertaining. This one however is mainly clever rather than annoying. Addie Ross narrates (and answers questions) the characters pose in this melodrama.

Addie Ross is never shown but she's feared by all the woman as as an attractive socialite with great manners who could easily steal their husbands away if she wanted. All three women have extended flashbacks and recall bad times where Addie was a threat.

There are nice time capsule conversations with people showing off their fancy 1940s radios. And antiquated references to a bygone era. This was back in the 1940s when listening to the nightly radio was a big event.

It's one of those films where the cast is all great in their role. Gossipy women who fight over dresses and other jealousies. Characters arguing over what constitutes taste and/or class. It has a feeling like that of Brief Encounter (1945) at times. This is definitely an underwatched one.

PS Kirk Douglas is still alive as he nears 102.

friendo55 posted:

Yes, it was his last one.

Ratedargh posted:

I need more Mizoguchi eventually. Where should I go next?

I haven't seen it but The Life of Oharu is the next critical/popular choice.

James Bond versus Godzilla (30/64 completed):

Academy Award for Best Directing (87/91 completed):

Notebooks on Cinema's 100 Most Beautiful Films in the World (76/100 completed):

#74 Sense AKA Senso - I haven't heard much about this one. 6/19/18

new #76 Van Gogh - A film about the last days of the eventually famous painter. 7/13/18

new #82 The Party - I haven't seen too many Blake Edwards films. 7/13/18

#85 A Star Is Born (1954) - There's a 1937 version and a 1954 version and a 1976 version and a 2018 version. And I haven't seen any of them. 6/14/18

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It never occurred to me someone would try to film The Dead

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It’s been adapted in a few different forms. The film is pretty good, obviously it has a great visual style but the overall tone is just really nicely done. Apparently Huston directed most of it from a wheelchair, hooked up to oxygen tanks, a trooper to the end.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

It never occurred to me someone would try to film The Dead

Somehow Finnegans Wake was also turned into a film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cibQA_LNe9s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Finnegans Wake is an interesting one. Some very strong imagery, absolutely a freeflowing, dream logic film that's much more about the feeling than the dialogue, much like the original book. Its director, Mary Ellen Bute, had a very interesting career before it.