Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Splicer posted:

While the standards of the industry mean that full frontal was a legitimate possibility, cleavage cleavage cleavage is still shameful.

They are utter cowards and honestly so are you for taking anything short of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

BinaryDoubts posted:

The Unity setting is super-forgettable. I'm personally working on taking the mechanics and making an X-Crawlish competitive dungeon-crawling thing around it.

e: also the game's layout and technical writing needs work, lots of rules are scattered around or incompletely explained. and all the boob art is super lame

I think most of the interest in Unity is the tactical combat system. A lot of the other stuff, Core Paths, etc are decidedly meh.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mournboobs. Titty of light. Titty of magic.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Theres a 4e dark sun? Hot drat

It is Extremely Good, yes.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

hyphz posted:

I think most of the interest in Unity is the tactical combat system. A lot of the other stuff, Core Paths, etc are decidedly meh.

Oh yeah. Like I said, I'm still planning on running a game with it, since the 4e-but-less-fiddly combat looks great - it's just a shame that the rest of the book doesn't have the same level of quality as the combat and class stuff.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Kai Tave posted:

It is Extremely Good, yes.

Better than any Dark Sun product except the original box set (and that's debatable). Fantastic reboot of the setting, with some of the best rules modules for 4e.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
the defiling mechanics were a bad idea though (although, in fairness, it's difficult to think of a *good* way of implementing the themes of dark sun defiling in a d&d milieu)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Has anyone ever tried making an rpg where actions resolve simultaneously? The concept of rounds and turns in 6 second increments has always been weird to me.

I guess youd have to have a grid and write your moves ahead of time then resolve conflicts with combat

I dont know if that would be any fun but maybe someones tried that??

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Has anyone ever tried making an rpg where actions resolve simultaneously? The concept of rounds and turns in 6 second increments has always been weird to me.

I guess youd have to have a grid and write your moves ahead of time then resolve conflicts with combat

Burning Wheel doesn't have a grid, but the detailed combat rules do this. Each side writes out a script of what they're going to do ahead of time, without letting the other side know, and then you play it out. There's a whole bunch of actions you can take and trying to figure out what your opponent is likely to do and attempting to counter it is a big part of it. I've played Burning Wheel, but when I did the GM used the simple rules for combat so I'm not sure how it works out in actual play.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Runequest and BRP does this. It has everyone declare what they're doing at the start of each round, and then everything is resolved in the order of each action's Strike Ranks, which is a number you get from a few factors like weapon reach, dexterity and size, how much magic you're pumping into it.

E: most apocalypse world stuff does this as well because they copy seize by force, but it's very player facing and abstracted

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 15, 2018

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

LeSquide posted:

Better than any Dark Sun product except the original box set (and that's debatable). Fantastic reboot of the setting, with some of the best rules modules for 4e.

The dark sun book should have been the launching point for a 4.5e. Inherent bonuses is a must-use rule change.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Reign/ORE also does this, iirc.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Paranoia XP does it too.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It actually is used in Chainmail to handle Jousting and in proto RPG En Guarde to handle duels. So it’s older than RPG’s!

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Spellbound Kingdoms does it that way, with the added complication that everyone is choosing from their allowed actions, which are based off of a vaguely chess-like style sheet.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Huh! I will most definitely look at those examples, ive never played burning wheel by the advanced rules :shobon:

Do any manage to get around rpg quarterbacking because this seems like it would only compound it. Although if youre playing chainmail youre all probably the kind of people going for optimal play

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Strike! does this in its Team Conflict and Chase subsystems. And also in its Duel subsystem which is in playtest now.

Its DNA is from Burning Wheel and Mouse Guard/Torchbearer, but those have some issues that make them a bit unsuitable for the hardcore optimizer/powergamer that lives in my soul.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I just got finished playing a game of Aristeia! by the same people who do Infinity. Kind of a neat little skirmish/sports game done on a hexmap with four characters on each side. It's not really a sports analogue directly the way that, say, Blood Bowl is trying to be American football, it's a game with a few modes you can play but the default is a sort of zone objective capture point kinda deal. It uses a profusion of different dice with different varieties of symbols on them though unlike FFG's entries into the funny dice sweepstakes all of them are d6s and there are only three main symbols, hits, blocks, and exclamation points which don't do anything on their own but can be spent for various effects depending on the character who made the roll. You can kill other characters but they respawn in the next round albeit at a slight penalty.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Huh! I will most definitely look at those examples, ive never played burning wheel by the advanced rules :shobon:

Do any manage to get around rpg quarterbacking because this seems like it would only compound it. Although if youre playing chainmail youre all probably the kind of people going for optimal play

It does with ORE.

The resolution system in that game is similar to poker. Your roll some d6's(?) and match them into sets of the same number. Example roll of 2,3,3,3,5,5 would have three sets: one 2, three 3s, and two 5s. The number of dice in a set is called the width and the actual die number on that set is the height. In that same example roll, the 3s would have a width and height of 3, while the 5s would have a width of 2 and a height of 5.

Everyone rolls at the same time and pick which sets they are going to use. The width of a set generally determines how effective the action is while the height determines how fast (i.e. what order it was rolled in).

Since you don't know for sure what order actions will occur in, quarterbacking is much less effective.

I'm also pretty sure I've gotten this description wrong as it has been like 10+ years since I last used ORE.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kibner posted:

It does with ORE.

The resolution system in that game is similar to poker. Your roll some d6's(?) and match them into sets of the same number. Example roll of 2,3,3,3,5,5 would have three sets: one 2, three 3s, and two 5s. The number of dice in a set is called the width and the actual die number on that set is the height. In that same example roll, the 3s would have a width and height of 3, while the 5s would have a width of 2 and a height of 5.

Everyone rolls at the same time and pick which sets they are going to use. The width of a set generally determines how effective the action is while the height determines how fast (i.e. what order it was rolled in).

Since you don't know for sure what order actions will occur in, quarterbacking is much less effective.

I'm also pretty sure I've gotten this description wrong as it has been like 10+ years since I last used ORE.

It's d10s rather than d6s, and in general width determines speed and height is what determines impact...the hit chart which tells you where your attack landed on someone's body is based on the height for instance. Otherwise you've pretty much got the gist.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Pollyanna posted:

I'm primarily thinking of Inverse World cause it's a fantastical magitek setting and I'm sure there's a way to slightly reskin it to be more computer-y. Also song magic is cool.

Survivor, Mechanic, Golem frontline
Lantern, Collector, Witch backline

(The Witch is not an official Inverse World class, but it's from the same author and seems to fit the setting well.)

Of course you've got genuine strikers in there, too, which is maybe AT3 styles? Probably not as much nudity though.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

tfw decision paralysis stops you from running anything because you want to run everything right now

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Brother Entropy posted:

tfw decision paralysis stops you from running anything because you want to run everything right now

I would love to have that kind of problem, because that would mean I actually have a game to run at some point in the near future.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

That Old Tree posted:

I would love to have that kind of problem, because that would mean I actually have a game to run at some point in the near future.

you can always find takers online

maybe even in this very forum

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I would just love to be a player in a game of anything that didn't collapse instantly.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i feel like i'm an anomaly because i've run 4 games through SA over the past couple years and only 1 ended early, and that was after going for almost a year anyways

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Brother Entropy posted:

you can always find takers online

maybe even in this very forum

I sure didn't! It turns out even on the internet it can be hard to wrangle a group for games in the 12am-5am (US) slot.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Inverse World sounds interesting, someone mind going into more detail about it?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

BinaryDoubts posted:

Oh yeah. Like I said, I'm still planning on running a game with it, since the 4e-but-less-fiddly combat looks great - it's just a shame that the rest of the book doesn't have the same level of quality as the combat and class stuff.

I kinda wish someone would take the Shadow of the Demon Lord approach to 4e. SotDL is great but I miss having powers as a martial class and an unified power system

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Azran posted:

I kinda wish someone would take the Shadow of the Demon Lord approach to 4e. SotDL is great but I miss having powers as a martial class and an unified power system

Yeah, the simple spells in SotDL would translate great to cool feats of strength or agility. Just change "tradition" to "style" and whip some cool things up.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

There is a variant of Spellbound Kingdoms combat rules that works like that. Basically you both choose your maneuvre, and reveal it at the same time. So it's possible that like, your opponent is building up to an awesome 5 damage attack and you, since you know his fighting style and you can see where this is going, move to another zone so he's left fighting the air. Of course, he can hit you with the "build up" maneuver, the one meant to... actually let me give a visual example.

This is the Free Sword combat style. Let's assume you are fighting a master of this style. They can start off with any of the underlines moves (Dodge and Feint, Lunge and Warrior's Strike). They can then move on to any move that is either in the same column or in the same row, kind of like the rook moves in chess. So for example, our opponent might start with Dodge and Feint to set themselves up for future attacks, move on to Spin to prepare themselves more, use a Passing Slash to reach the real menace amongst their opponent and then hit them with Onslaught, followed by Free Sword Strike and Eviscerate.

But let's assume that you are fighting this person. If you have seen them set up with Dodge and Feint and SPin, are you going to just stand there and eat their more powerful attacks? Presumably no: you can use your own style to force them to rebalance (that is to say, go back to the underlined moves) and stop them on their tracks, or just move out of the way and force them to catch up to you.

You know how Free Sword works. Your opponent knows how your own style works. You are both aware of the "position" of the little token you use to signal where you are on the move sheet. So the combat becomes a game of "I know that you know" as you both try to get the better of your adversary.

beeoi
Mar 4, 2012

Since you guys are such big fans of you-know-who, here's a critique of Maze of the Blue Medusa.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

beeoi posted:

Since you guys are such big fans of you-know-who, here's a critique of Maze of the Blue Medusa.

Here's my favorite line from that:

quote:

A smart player can easily cheese just about every combat encounter in the Maze, as written, by running from everything at full speed until encounters bleed together into a massive katamari ball of indescribable violence.

Please rename the thread to "a massive katamari ball of indescribable violence".

Serf
May 5, 2011

Azran posted:

i've been kinda working on something like that in my spare time. taking a lot of inspiration from 4e and the book of nine swords. spells are already handed out for a lot of paths, it wouldn't take a lot of effort to hand out martial techniques

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

beeoi posted:

I like that the author gets progressively more fed up with the whole product as the article goes on. It's like the physical product version of dealing with Zak--it just gets worse the more you experience it.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

beeoi posted:

That's a beautifully nasty critique.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

beeoi posted:

Zak S is going to have this person killed.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

beeoi posted:

Yeah, that's about what I expected. Patrick struggles with making things gameable rather than just cool, and probably the worst way to get something gameable out of him would be to have him play word association with Zak's drawings.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

beeoi posted:

quote:

Let’s stop dawdling and actually look at this encounter table. First thing to note is that there’s a 25% chance of nothing happening. Which gets pretty funny in instances where the book says there’s a 70% chance of a random encounter check, so you roll four different dice for what could potentially amount to nothing happening at all.

haha what the gently caress :sterv:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Man I really thought my issues with the Maze came down to my lack of experience running dungeon crawls, but I absolutely had the same issues that this author did, especially the stuff with the map and the rooms not quite matching up.