Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
What's the difference between plastics and synthetics? Why can't hemp be hemp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Wooper posted:

What's the difference between plastics and synthetics? Why can't hemp be hemp?

In this case Plastic is a loose fit that may be changed later. I was thinking of things that would be valuable for general consumers as a luxury resource.

Synthetics on the other hand is being used for military application (think Kevlar), in this case replacing Iron to produce Infantry units (Infantry is equivelent to modern infantry, not militia which can be trained without the need for trade goods).

Hemp could be Hemp. That would probably work great, I just don't know if there are any other uses yet in the base game.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

are the trade goods just bulk commodities? otherwise i'd make sure to include medicine.

oh and industrial chemicals. getting your hands on the right chems would be the stopping point for a whole lot of endeavors without modern trade and logistics

Prav fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 13, 2018

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Construct sailing barge, requires 30 steel, 10 synthetics, 5 marijuana.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

ExtraNoise posted:

This is actually one of the nations I've come up with, Nova Roma.

Gotta put a Caesar's Legion cameo in there somewhere, even if it's just a leader name.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Makes sense, although I do find it a little weird to replace horses and then add horses in to replace camels, even though I get it. Also, I generally do the PNW/Northern California split about halfway through Oregon, but I've never really spent a lot of time there.

Tyrel Lohr
Mar 1, 2007

No, sir, I don't care for Frungy.

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm from Colorado and I will be deeply, personally offended if you lump us in with a bunch of flatlanders.

Yeah, there needs to be a distinct culture emanating from the Denver metro area because they definitely don't fit in with the "Western" culture around them. I'd be tempted to call them the Greens if only because we always called Coloradans "Greenies" because their license plates were a hideous shade of green for the longest time. You honestly could apply the same culture to bits of Wyoming, namely the stretch from Jackson to Lander in western Wyoming.

Mormon culture also needs to extend farther into western Wyoming, at least in the northern section near Lovell and Powell. While there are exceptions, you could probably make most of the western third of Wyoming Mormon culture and not be that big of a stretch.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ExtraNoise posted:

Alright map game goons, I could use your help with my next mod. It's set in North America following WW3 and I'm trying to narrow down my list of cultures. I decided to make a map so I can reference it in the future (once I've got the province map and everything setup and am building out the province text files).

Click to bigginate.

Your feedback on the culture groups would be most helpful. My goal isn't to create hundreds of culture groups, just the opposite. I'm actually trying to create as few as possible while retaining the bigger divisions. (For example, you'll notice I didn't include things like Hoosiers, Bonackers, Hawkeyes, Sooners, Yinzers, etc, but did include things like Cajuns and Yoopers.)

Canada and Mexico were especially challenging, so any help there would be extra appreciated.

Edit: There will be a few mod-specific cultures, namely a group that roams the wastes of the American West and a scary murder-cult. I didn't add those to this map yet as this is sort of "how it is now".

I would maybe turn Yooper into some sort of wider nordic-based culture group and extend it into northern wisconsin and northern minnesota. Though no, I don't know what to call it ("northern midwest" or something?). Yooper may have unique dialectal qualities with stronger finnish influences than any other area, but it's still pretty heavily related to the other regional northern border cultures. Though it's a bit more hillbilly than the others, admittedly.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 14, 2018

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Why make camel > horse and then horse > petrol? Couldn’t you just horse > horse and camel > petrol?

Don’t have anything more productive to add but the fact that I’m already excited to play your mod speaks to the potential of the concept I think.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Not sure what the specific idea on Floridian is, but if it's generally for yankee transplants you might wanna consider having it absorb up to the Georgia border and cut diagonally/a more shallow inland enclave for southerner than current

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ExtraNoise posted:

I've created a list of trade goods and have been mapping "modern" resources to replace them. Essentially I want to do as little work as possible (as a one-man operation, I learned this mistake during my HoI4 mod creation) so that it's simply a matter of Find/Replace and building a new map to utilize those resources. Here's my list so far (anything with a ? after it just means I haven't seen any screenshots or official references to its name):

Hemp is the one thing I'm totally :confused: about. I feel like it should be a utility resource, as the Romans were using it probably to make rope and such. The immediate mapping to Marijuana, while similar, probably doesn't fit the "feel" of the trade good itself.

If Hemp is a utility resource I'd see it being most likely needed for ship construction, for ropes as you mentioned but also for sails. I'm not sure there's an analogue for modern ships, something they need that other objects don't.

I'm assuming you're doing Elephant -> Steel because Elephants are going to be tanks. If so, maybe consider making Elephant into Composites/Synthetics (as lots of modern tanks use ceramic composite armor), Hemp into Steel (because you need way more steel for a ship than you do for a tank), and Iron into Aluminium (high quality automatic rifles need high quality aluminium alloys).

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Has anyone here tried out MEIOU and Taxes 2.5 for EU4?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Grouchio posted:

It was slow, the interface is atrocious, and it's not actually an improvement in terms of feel or gameplay.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Grouchio posted:

A combination of two already bloated eu3 mods was doomed from the start then they made it worse

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

aphid_licker posted:

It was slow, the interface is atrocious, and it's not actually an improvement in terms of feel or gameplay.
What would you recommend?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

aphid_licker posted:

Eu4mods.txt

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Really appreciated all the input with this and tried to apply everything without adding too many new cultures: Here's the "final" cultures map:

Thoughts?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

ExtraNoise posted:

Really appreciated all the input with this and tried to apply everything without adding too many new cultures: Here's the "final" cultures map:

Thoughts?

It looks realistic for like the present, but for a post-apocalyptic/some hundred years in the future setting, I would want a bit more cultural shift and migration, plus some strange enclaves and new cultures.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Grouchio posted:

What would you recommend?

I play vanilla again now. If there's a cool feature add mod I'm not aware of it unfortunately. V&F had the same problem as MEIOU when I tried it. I would love something that adds like one or two peacetime development features, for example a road building mechanism, and does that right, tying it into the trade and development systems, making the AI use it right, balancing it etc.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

It looks realistic for like the present, but for a post-apocalyptic/some hundred years in the future setting, I would want a bit more cultural shift and migration, plus some strange enclaves and new cultures.

There will be some shifting cultures, don't worry. :) I wanted to nail down the present ones before making a map of all the changes.

Storywise: The game takes place 13 years after "the Overwar" in which disease spread, a few nukes went off, and society crumbled over the matter of only a week or so. It's set in the near-future (hence not radical cultural changes, just very confused people), but I'm wondering if I should introduce any climate change. Right now the shoreline is the same as it is presently. Global warming offset by a low-key nuclear winter? Not sure how that would shape the planet - introducing any shoreline changes would mean introducing some new work, but I'm still early enough along the map-making process that if I were going to do it, now would be the time.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ExtraNoise posted:

There will be some shifting cultures, don't worry. :) I wanted to nail down the present ones before making a map of all the changes.

Storywise: The game takes place 13 years after "the Overwar" in which disease spread, a few nukes went off, and society crumbled over the matter of only a week or so. It's set in the near-future (hence not radical cultural changes, just very confused people), but I'm wondering if I should introduce any climate change. Right now the shoreline is the same as it is presently. Global warming offset by a low-key nuclear winter? Not sure how that would shape the planet - introducing any shoreline changes would mean introducing some new work, but I'm still early enough along the map-making process that if I were going to do it, now would be the time.

Shoreline changes would probably be a lot of work indeed, but I'll advocate anything that drowns Florida.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

ExtraNoise posted:

Thoughts?

When I lived in the Norfolk/Newport News area people around there considered that area to be the "Mid-Atlantic". The coastline of Virginia and the DC metro region are significantly more diverse and culturally different than inland/Western Virginia.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ExtraNoise posted:

If you want, I think I have enough of a grasp of various climate change scenarios and the general mechanics behind it to give you a couple of plausible climate scenarios to choose from, if you lay out the background of the world in more detail. Got PMs?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

ExtraNoise posted:

That's very prudent of you. :)

*dusts off atmospheric science degree*

So, the nuclear war would briefly offset the warming caused by climate change, but only for a few years until the soot and smoke settles out of the atmosphere. It wouldn't be enough to push the climate into a new ice-age scenario in which advancing glaciers create more white land that reflects more sunlight and cools the temperature further, not unless it was a truly (far beyond human capability) apocalyptic nuclear war. I think you'd have to put in some kind of event that puts in a province modifier, expiring after maybe 10-20 years. I don't think there's any way to do dynamic terrain in Paradox Games - not any that are available to modders at any rate - so you'd be left with the choice of either leaving the shorelines the same, or extrapolating to some future global warming scenario where much of the shoreline is inundated. Realistically speaking, even if nuclear war destroyed the world tomorrow, effectively reducing CO2 emissions to zero overnight, we would still be "locked in" to a significant amount of sea level rise (like >1m). Any game that takes place over 300 years would have to incorporate the encroach of the ocean that will inevitably take place due to the emissions we've already made.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

ExtraNoise posted:

Hemp is the one thing I'm totally :confused: about. I feel like it should be a utility resource, as the Romans were using it probably to make rope and such. The immediate mapping to Marijuana, while similar, probably doesn't fit the "feel" of the trade good itself.

Henequen

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

So, the nuclear war would briefly offset the warming caused by climate change, but only for a few years until the soot and smoke settles out of the atmosphere. It wouldn't be enough to push the climate into a new ice-age scenario in which advancing glaciers create more white land that reflects more sunlight and cools the temperature further, not unless it was a truly (far beyond human capability) apocalyptic nuclear war. I think you'd have to put in some kind of event that puts in a province modifier, expiring after maybe 10-20 years. I don't think there's any way to do dynamic terrain in Paradox Games - not any that are available to modders at any rate - so you'd be left with the choice of either leaving the shorelines the same, or extrapolating to some future global warming scenario where much of the shoreline is inundated. Realistically speaking, even if nuclear war destroyed the world tomorrow, effectively reducing CO2 emissions to zero overnight, we would still be "locked in" to a significant amount of sea level rise (like >1m). Any game that takes place over 300 years would have to incorporate the encroach of the ocean that will inevitably take place due to the emissions we've already made.

I think I remember people finding a distinct cooling effect from historic population drops (black death scale) that led to widespread reforestation. Would that be a thing? Everyone is dead, lots of carbon disappears into vegetation cover on former agricultural land?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Reveilled posted:

If Hemp is a utility resource I'd see it being most likely needed for ship construction, for ropes as you mentioned but also for sails. I'm not sure there's an analogue for modern ships, something they need that other objects don't.

I'm assuming you're doing Elephant -> Steel because Elephants are going to be tanks. If so, maybe consider making Elephant into Composites/Synthetics (as lots of modern tanks use ceramic composite armor), Hemp into Steel (because you need way more steel for a ship than you do for a tank), and Iron into Aluminium (high quality automatic rifles need high quality aluminium alloys).

Perhaps hemp could be replaced by Uranium, which high end submarines and aircraft carriers require. Could also be used, if desired, for civilian/infrastructure improvements like a "Nuclear Power Plant" or could be used for strategic weapons/deterrence.

You could also replace hemp with the most limiting resource of the Navy, "Lowest Quality Sysco Prepared Meals".

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I don’t this post apocalyptic America mod for Rome 2 will have tanks or aircraft carriers

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

replace it with meth and/or painkillers to reflect the true nature of rural america

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Farecoal posted:

I don’t this post apocalyptic America mod for Rome 2 will have tanks or aircraft carriers
It absolutely will. It's just that "tanks" will refer to guys wearing heavy armor, and "aircraft carriers" are dart-throwers.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

aphid_licker posted:

I think I remember people finding a distinct cooling effect from historic population drops (black death scale) that led to widespread reforestation. Would that be a thing? Everyone is dead, lots of carbon disappears into vegetation cover on former agricultural land?

Only one way to find out.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Farecoal posted:

I mean based on ExtraNoise's original resource list, military-grade synthetic polymers are still being made. I think a country which can make kevlar can probably take on the challenge of building a box that contains a gun and an engine.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Reveilled posted:

I mean based on ExtraNoise's original resource list, military-grade synthetic polymers are still being made. I think a country which can make kevlar can probably take on the challenge of building a box that contains a gun and an engine.

They will, but those resources are going to be rare, probably limited to the industrial sectors of former major cities.

Seeing a refurbished M1 Abrams in your opponent's army is going to be a pants-making GBS threads moment.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DrSunshine posted:

Wait a minute, your username makes a lot of sense now.

aphid_licker posted:

I believe the problem with basing projections on those past events is that modern humans have changed the world far more dramatically than our ancestors. Contrails decrease diurnal temperature variations, and all the poo poo we put into the air means the effects of global warming have been countered quite massively by accidental geoengineering. Both effects are extremely short-lived though, and disappear almost immediately if global civilization collapses - global dimming is of a magnitude equal to about 50% of that of global warming, but would go away within weeks if humanity disappeared. This global dimming might also have played a major role in the various droughts in Africa during the 70's-80's

ExtraNoise posted:

They will, but those resources are going to be rare, probably limited to the industrial sectors of former major cities.

Seeing a refurbished M1 Abrams in your opponent's army is going to be a pants-making GBS threads moment.
Realistically, isn't the supply chains of that poo poo so complex that it's an all-or-nothing kinda deal? It's all well and good to have a pristine factory to make fancy poo poo in, but there are probably like 3 or 4 steps of refinement at other factories, of some natural resource sourced from half a world away, before you even get to the point of having the required materials to make whatever you're making. Plus you need qualified personnel, as well as replacement parts for your machines - both of which also require a lot of capabilities that might not exist anymore. Frankly, I'd doubt whether people could keep a Mark 1 in service.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Wait a minute, your username makes a lot of sense now.

:sun:

aphid_licker posted:

Well, possibly? I don't think I've read about that one, but the issue is that a lot of the agriculture we do now is in formerly arid areas where we wouldn't see much forest growth. Also, vegetation isn't actually a super great CO2 sink, as plants and trees both respire and exhale CO2 in winter and at night, and eventually die, rot, or burst into flames in wildfires. Plant and tree cover can also contribute to heating at the surface by being darker, leafy and green, than bare soil or sand.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 15, 2018

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

aphid_licker posted:

It's a theory of what caused a cooling during the mongol conquests, but part of that is also that they apparently planted a load of trees as well.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ExtraNoise posted:

if they have the means to sustain an Abrams and it's princess like demands then they're in a pretty good spot industrial-wise.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Well, possibly? I don't think I've read about that one, but the issue is that a lot of the agriculture we do now is in formerly arid areas where we wouldn't see much forest growth. Also, vegetation isn't actually a super great CO2 sink, as plants and trees both respire and exhale CO2 in winter and at night, and eventually die, rot, or burst into flames in wildfires. Plant and tree cover can also contribute to heating at the surface by being darker, leafy and green, than bare soil or sand.

spectralent posted:

It's a theory of what caused a cooling during the mongol conquests, but part of that is also that they apparently planted a load of trees as well.

Ok fair enough!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Since you said up-top you wanted to maybe reduce the amount of cultures, I'll point out that there's still some cultures you could lump together. Upstate could maybe be folded into Great Lakes or Midwestern, and the Native cultures of Canada could be combined (alternatively: pop a slice of Cree out in Montana). It'd also be advisable to add Native American to the list of non-geographically represented polities.

You also might want to consider, in this postapocalyptic future wherein various localities have drifted apart enough to consider themselves separate cultures, representing african americans in southern areas separately, since that's one of the more frictional divides facing us today, but it's your timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

You know, ExtraNoise, given the amount of response from goons in this thread now that you've posted this mod concept you will be expected to follow through once Imperator comes out. We will be watching. :colbert: