Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Been getting some good mileage out of the hipster glasses lately. Makes me wish I could tag what I craft as Artisan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This ARR post-Ultima Weapon content has a Au Ra refugee from Doma. Did the Au Ra race exist prior to Stormblood, but it just wasn't playable? Or did they retroactively make this character Au Ra?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

This ARR post-Ultima Weapon content has a Au Ra refugee from Doma. Did the Au Ra race exist prior to Stormblood, but it just wasn't playable? Or did they retroactively make this character Au Ra?

the Au Ra were made playable in Heavansward, but she's the first Au Ra character that was actually introduced.

Of course, she was the only Au Ra character until Stormblood. :v:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Ytlaya posted:

She was au ra from her first appearance and was finally revealed without disguise in the final arr patch. When HW launched au ra became a playable race and they showed up a little more frequently as npcs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dmboogie posted:

the Au Ra were made playable in Heavansward, but she's the first Au Ra character that was actually introduced.

Of course, she was the only Au Ra character until Stormblood. :v:

I assume you mean story, right, since there are Au Ra characters in job quests and stuff?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I assume you mean story, right, since there are Au Ra characters in job quests and stuff?

Only leveled DRG and AST so I wouldn’t know! They’re still entirely absent from the main plot and even sidequests in HW, tho

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Play NIN, DRK or WHM. They all got token Au Ra characters!

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by
who decided that requiescat should last 12s, and how do I send them a message

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

pupuru posted:

who decided that requiescat should last 12s, and how do I send them a message

That's about the time it takes to drain your MP with non-stop casting of Clemency and Holy Spirit.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

dmboogie posted:

Only leveled DRG and AST so I wouldn’t know! They’re still entirely absent from the main plot and even sidequests in HW, tho

The main NPC in the Alexander quests was an Au Ra, and I think they showed up as NPCs for seasonal quests and new features a fair bit. I think the main problem was that they're persecuted in Ishgard, and the only non-Ishgardian humanoid settlement in HW was Idyllshire.

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by

super sweet best pal posted:

That's about the time it takes to drain your MP with non-stop casting of Clemency and Holy Spirit.

I forgot HS has a cast time of 1.5s :v:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Zandar posted:

The main NPC in the Alexander quests was an Au Ra, and I think they showed up as NPCs for seasonal quests and new features a fair bit. I think the main problem was that they're persecuted in Ishgard, and the only non-Ishgardian humanoid settlement in HW was Idyllshire.

they're not persecuted in ishgard, 'cause there aren't any to persecute. playable au ra were introduced in heavensward but au ra characters had no plot presence besides mide, the alexander character, who was in the region as part of... basically part of a wandering au ra cult, really. there just ain't that many of them outside the steppe. but they decided early on that au ra would be included, and had to make the player model for yugiri anyway. so they went ahead and added it to character creation options when they finished it, even though it was one expansion "early."

if I remember correctly, yugiri's masked model is just a catgirl with some tweaks.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

World War Mammories posted:

they're not persecuted in ishgard, 'cause there aren't any to persecute.

Part of the DRK quests are literally about how the au ra dude trainer is looking for any excuse to get vengance on ishgardian folk that he can because they murdered his tribe when they came seeking refuge from the garleans, because they had the audacity to look like dragons

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

they're not persecuted in ishgard,

Besides the part where a bunch got murdered for being scaly like Ishgard's enemies?

Au ra are basically a non-entity in most of heavensward due to most of the local ones having landed in Mor Dhona as refugees, but they're all over the drat place in SB.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 15, 2018

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

What's the best way to level gathering classes anyway if money isn't really a concern? Are there levekits for them?

As someone who recently got everything to 70 :shepicide: if money's not a concern you'll still do the gathering leves, but make sure to buy (or gather I guess :v:) your GC turnins every day, with HQ giving double exp. Other than that I guess you can go buy or craft HQ gathering gear to make doing the leves and class quests less painful, but yeah there's no real leve-kit option like there is for crafters.

oh yeah all those seals you'll get for doing gc turnins? buy cordials, you'll need them

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kitfox88 posted:

Part of the DRK quests are literally about how the au ra dude trainer is looking for any excuse to get vengance on ishgardian folk that he can because they murdered his tribe when they came seeking refuge from the garleans, because they had the audacity to look like dragons

As someone who plays an Elezen and had a habit of calling Au Ra dragons, that part was kiiiinda awkward to get to.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

I still think broadly the expansions were meant to be released in the opposite order.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

As someone who plays an Elezen and had a habit of calling Au Ra dragons, that part was kiiiinda awkward to get to.

Yeah I was going through as a female elezen at the time and hoooo boy it was a little awkward feeling.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

Kitfox88 posted:

do not own me like this it is illegal

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

do not own me like this it is illegal

So when are you going to turn into a corncob?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This quest where this adventurer you meet early into the MSQ apparently is getting married to the decapitated head of her fiance and "invited" the corpse of her dead friend to the wedding is pretty hosed up. I've been sidelining a lot of these hard-version dungeon quests, but I think I'm gonna need to check this one out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

This quest where this adventurer you meet early into the MSQ apparently is getting married to the decapitated head of her fiance and "invited" the corpse of her dead friend to the wedding is pretty hosed up. I've been sidelining a lot of these hard-version dungeon quests, but I think I'm gonna need to check this one out.

Just as a note that plot is continued in the PotD after Tam-Tara Hard.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I'd say every hard-version dungeon is worth doing at least once. They're pretty painless to do, and some of them have exceptionally dope music and environments.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

:(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man they should at least give you goddamn second place for that.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ImpAtom posted:

Man they should at least give you goddamn second place for that.

Yeah. The Cactpot only working Right to Left and not just "how many numbers did you get right" is the most bullshit thing in all of this game.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

The winning ticket for me was 6777 and I had 6773.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

All this stuff with Doma refugees and Ul'Dah 1%er financiers is more interesting than anything from the original ARR story (which was just a long chain of addressing different primal threats and spending like 10 hours trying to find where Cid's airship went).

I hope this quest chain ends with guillotining the robber baron lalafel.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Say hi to the bride and groom for me.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I did Tam-Tara Hard and it had a suitably creepy ending. I also did Sastasha Hard, whose final boss (the kraken) was confusing as poo poo and took like 15 minutes of me running around hitting tentacles and occasionally whacking the boss's main body a couple times (I imagine there's some more correct way to do this, but none of the other party members knew what it was).

On an unrelated note, someone needs to compile a list of all the times people (and particular Minfilia) effusively praise you in this game. I feel like every other MSQ quest involves people being like "I would just like you thank you again for being so incredible and saving the world. Words cannot express my gratitude. The world owes you a debt it can never repay. Only God Himself is more worthy of praise than you, and even that is a topic up for debate."

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I feel confident I could kill god if he showed up.

Kraken strat- There are two kinds of tentacles, regular ones and nubby ones. He puts them out in waves. You pretty much want to kill the regular tentacles and ignore the nubby ones. The sole exception to this is when there are 8 regular tentacles out, in which case just ignore them and get beat on a bit.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ytlaya posted:

On an unrelated note, someone needs to compile a list of all the times people (and particular Minfilia) effusively praise you in this game. I feel like every other MSQ quest involves people being like "I would just like you thank you again for being so incredible and saving the world. Words cannot express my gratitude. The world owes you a debt it can never repay. Only God Himself is more worthy of praise than you, and even that is a topic up for debate."
I kind of like it since it's like an explicit validation of your good work and also shows that other people aren't all dicks. Like that guy in Ala Mhigo who's like "Ishgard remembers, Warrior of Light!"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Only God Himself is more worthy of praise than you, and even that is a topic up for debate.

I would hope so, because I've killed, like, 30 at this point. :v:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Nessus posted:

I kind of like it since it's like an explicit validation of your good work and also shows that other people aren't all dicks. Like that guy in Ala Mhigo who's like "Ishgard remembers, Warrior of Light!"

It also makes it more funny when people get confused about a renowned god-killer, say, running around delivering mail. :v:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Nessus posted:

That bit made me smile when I first saw it. It's tiny but god it's such a good and quick summation of all the work you did in HW.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

dmboogie posted:

It also makes it more funny when people get confused about a renowned god-killer, say, running around delivering mail. :v:

I was promised a hat, what's so hard for them to understand?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

super sweet best pal posted:

I was promised a hat, what's so hard for them to understand?

It’s a very good hat.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Oh hells yes Arboretum Hard just got announced in the live letter. That's been my most wanted hard mode since I did normal. The coolest aesthetic.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah it gets pretty annoying and even though the writing steps up quite a bit with the expansions that part never really goes away. It does make the few characters that don't shower you with unending praise stand out more though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

A Sometimes Food posted:

Oh hells yes Arboretum Hard just got announced in the live letter. That's been my most wanted hard mode since I did normal. The coolest aesthetic.

Looking forward to it, especially the rearranged music.

4.3 Live Letter posted:

Battle system updates: Job adjustments, role action slots increased (to 10)

Holy poo poo

Guess this puts the Protect kerfluffle to rest