Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Mulva posted:

Your legs are actually way stronger than your arms, and he's already trained a bit in mitigating the effects of his power.

Oh, I know, I was just avoiding using the word "always" 'cause I knew some smartass was gonna be all "Well what if you have a arm-enhancing quirk/are wheelchair bound"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
For someone who's hobby is to analyse quirks, he sure is bad at figuring out how to use his own. All Might needs to sit him down in front of some episodes of DBZ until he gets the idea of running around in full cowling 100% of the time.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

pointlessone posted:

For someone who's hobby is to analyse quirks, he sure is bad at figuring out how to use his own. All Might needs to sit him down in front of some episodes of DBZ until he gets the idea of running around in full cowling 100% of the time.

He's great at Analyzing quirks, he's just also a gigantic All Might Fan Boy and wants to be just like him.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

pointlessone posted:

Yeah he has a blind spot because he loves all might so much he wants to be exactly like him without innovating at all or finding his own path.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

"i could use my legs instead of my arms" is a fairly disappointing revelation, but seeing bakugo come up with several creative uses for his power (the AP shot was cool to see, especially since i'd initially just assumed that his gross sweat cannon thing would be his ultimate move, the same way reciprico got grandfathered into being leg guy's ultimate move) leaves me hopeful that deku will figure out how to make "i'll do the same thing, but with my legs" into something unique and interesting

i wonder if bakugo is not only focused on improving his own abilities, but also staying aware of everyone else around him at the same time. his AP shot move seems like an adaptation of the advice alien queen got earlier in the episode, like he maybe heard it and thought "i can do the same thing with my power!"

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 15, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ninjewtsu posted:

"i could use my legs instead of my arms" is a fairly disappointing revelation, but seeing bakugo come up with several creative uses for his power (the AP shot was cool to see, especially since i'd initially just assumed that his gross sweat cannon thing would be his ultimate move, the same way reciprico got grandfathered into being leg guy's ultimate move) leaves me hopeful that deku will figure out how to make "i'll do the same thing, but with my legs" into something unique and interesting

i wonder if bakugo is not only focused on improving his own abilities, but also staying aware of everyone else around him at the same time. his AP shot move seems like an adaptation of the advice alien queen got earlier in the episode, like he maybe heard it and thought "i can do the same thing with my power!"

For Deku it's not about making a Super Move, it's about defining his fighting style. His finger flicks are closer to super-moves, Or All Mights tornado. But right now he can't focus on making any moves if he doesn't have his style in place. So while he goes "One For All: Full Cowling - Shoot Style" that's not a super move, that's just how he's fighting now.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I was not thinking in terms of deku getting a super move at all, much more in terms of "I hope deku's new fighting style is more unique than The Same poo poo: Leg Edition." Seeing other characters in the episode use their powers in newer, interesting ways (generally related to super moves, as that's what the episode was about for everyone but deku) leaves me hopeful that whatever action scene deku gets next will also be new and interesting.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

I was not thinking in terms of deku getting a super move at all, much more in terms of "I hope deku's new fighting style is more unique than The Same poo poo: Leg Edition." Seeing other characters in the episode use their powers in newer, interesting ways (generally related to super moves, as that's what the episode was about for everyone but deku) leaves me hopeful that whatever action scene deku gets next will also be new and interesting.

We've gone from Single hits, to finger flicks, to bouncing around like Gran Torino and Bakugo, to doing that but focusing on a kick-based offense. Where exactly did you expect it to go? Right now he can't generate shockwaves without breaking himself. Were you expecting him to spit with enough force for it to act as a ranged attack? Like... his quirk is quite limited to what it CAN do, Martial arts wouldn't help because it'd be following under the same issues. Grappling wouldn't work because the amount of force required would probably break himself...

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Onmi posted:

We've gone from Single hits, to finger flicks, to bouncing around like Gran Torino and Bakugo, to doing that but focusing on a kick-based offense. Where exactly did you expect it to go? Right now he can't generate shockwaves without breaking himself. Were you expecting him to spit with enough force for it to act as a ranged attack? Like... his quirk is quite limited to what it CAN do, Martial arts wouldn't help because it'd be following under the same issues. Grappling wouldn't work because the amount of force required would probably break himself...

Exactly. One for All pretty much IS a super move, Deku's problem is using it without killing himself in the process. While the rest of the class is trying to figure out creative gimmicks using their quirks, he should be focused on just containing it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's not like Deku hasn't used his legs before, he first used them leaping up at the giant robot in his introduction and even more recently used it to destroy the sword of the reptile from the Villain Association. The revelation wasn't "Wow, I can use my arms instead of my legs", but "Wow, I should focus on a fighting style making use of my legs to relieve my arms when they get tired". His mental hang-up was that because he inherited the quirk from All-might, he had to fight like All-might always has done.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Also "Shoot" style has multiple things to consider one is actual "Shoot fighting" which is a style of combat that's similar to MMA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shootfighting

And the focus on Soccer for 'Shooting' though that one is more of a stretch.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

That was a fun epsiode
Always be wary of tinker-types, for everything around them is potentially a new idea to be researched

I'm glad that doesn't stop them from being adorable

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

this ep is solid meme material imo

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Mulderman posted:

Has this been send to Horikoshi yet?

I like the new OP.
This episode covers one of my favorite developments for Deku. It's also a good way of shutting up the people who claim Deku wrecking his arms has no real consequences. Because having to develop a completely new fighting style seems like a pretty big consequence.

https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/1018481386703876096?s=09

He's definitely seen it now.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

ninjewtsu posted:

I would bet on this. He's a really perceptive fighter. Has to be with the way he loving flies around via controlled explosions.

Also he's acutely aware of Deku's progression as the series has shown in the past.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I'm looking forward to the point where Ochako's zero gravity quirk and martial arts training really click for her, and she jumps up in power to one of the strongest heroes in the class.

if she picked up some judo moves like Deku's been using, she could probably use "switch off/on someone's gravity" for a crazy effect

edit: if she threw someone while they had zero weight, and then turned it back on as they were falling, the acceleration would be really powerful right?

Cephas fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 15, 2018

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Bofast posted:

Good episode, lots of comedic moments :)
My favorite bits are the kick™, Bakugo's AP shot and All Might with the teaching for dummies handbook :D

Also, I like the new intro better than the last one.

What I really like about this is that All Might is actually doing some Ed 101 stuff here :3:

You know, you have to give them to tools to get the answer but not give them the answer so they're internally motivated and invested in their own development; let them experience that discovery for themselves! Even if they're being dummies who don't realize they should try using their legs and not their arms.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cephas posted:

I'm looking forward to the point where Ochako's zero gravity quirk and martial arts training really click for her, and she jumps up in power to one of the strongest heroes in the class.

if she picked up some judo moves like Deku's been using, she could probably use "switch off/on someone's gravity" for a crazy effect

edit: if she threw someone while they had zero weight, and then turned it back on as they were falling, the acceleration would be really powerful right?

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I'd love to see her turn into something like an extremely adorable version of how Android 16 fights in Dragon Ball Fighterz - use her gravity powers to launch somebody into the air and then jump after them, then turn the gravity back on and just loving powerbomb them back down to earth.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Can she alter how much gravity affects an object? Or is it straight on/off? Because microcontrol would be ridiculously powerful.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

Can she alter how much gravity affects an object? Or is it straight on/off? Because microcontrol would be ridiculously powerful.

seems to be a binary thing, just on and off

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Cephas posted:

One fic I've read had a nice idea: Use her quirk on someone, grab and twist to send them spinning vertically, then get out of the way for when they inevitably puke.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

AlternateNu posted:

If it's possible she better fuckin get working on it because yup

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Wait, if Ochako tags a villain with zero gravity and Deku uses One for All to knock them upwards, they'd probably be able to send the person into space, right? :allears:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cephas posted:

Wait, if Ochako tags a villain with zero gravity and Deku uses One for All to knock them upwards, they'd probably be able to send the person into space, right? :allears:

And that's how you deal with All For One properly

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Cephas posted:

I've been expecting that particular combo since the first nomu fight.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Cephas posted:

In reality, atmospheric friction would stop them well before the got to space (unless Deku hit them so hard that they'd probably disintegrate anyway).

In shonen comics? The sky's literally the limit, baby!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Mirage posted:

In reality, atmospheric friction would stop them well before the got to space (unless Deku hit them so hard that they'd probably disintegrate anyway).

In shonen comics? The sky's literally the limit, baby!

Uraraka's quirk breaks all kind of rules, like making objects quasi-massless. It's possible that it may also reduce or ignore air friction. I mean, even if using her quirk on herself is straining, you'd think she'd be tempted to try and use a wingsuit--unless she can't.

She should still try and request some light rockets for her suit though :science:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Well she did make the ball go "infinity meters", so there's no limit I guess.

Also Mina would make a really good rescue hero.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fowl posted:

What I really like about this is that All Might is actually doing some Ed 101 stuff here :3:

You know, you have to give them to tools to get the answer but not give them the answer so they're internally motivated and invested in their own development; let them experience that discovery for themselves! Even if they're being dummies who don't realize they should try using their legs and not their arms.

Agreed :)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Cephas posted:

METEORIC BURST

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I am not a regular to this thread so this is probably the coldest take ever but do the stakes ever increase for Deku in a combat scenario again? I get that his main conflict went from wanting to fit in/wanting power -> wanting to live up to All Might's expectations and protect those around him, so the show is less "can Deku beat X" and more "can Deku get their in time to prevent Y", but it still feels good to have a protagonist be challenged personally. I've felt this way ever since he gained the ability to more or less use his full power without injuring himself seriously, and that's probably going to be amplified when he starts using his naturally stronger limbs more often to attack. I'd love to see Bakugo and the other combat-oriented members of the class catch up to him again because right now the gulf seems as wide as the gulf between Deku and All Might in his prime.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Deified Data posted:

I am not a regular to this thread so this is probably the coldest take ever but do the stakes ever increase for Deku in a combat scenario again? I get that his main conflict went from wanting to fit in/wanting power -> wanting to live up to All Might's expectations and protect those around him, so the show is less "can Deku beat X" and more "can Deku get their in time to prevent Y", but it still feels good to have a protagonist be challenged personally. I've felt this way ever since he gained the ability to more or less use his full power without injuring himself seriously, and that's probably going to be amplified when he starts using his naturally stronger limbs more often to attack. I'd love to see Bakugo and the other combat-oriented members of the class catch up to him again because right now the gulf seems as wide as the gulf between Deku and All Might in his prime.
He's still only using about 5% or so of the his power. Shoot style gives him a decent increase in destructive capability and combat options but I'd say as he is in the anime right now he's still weaker than Bakugou and Todoroki if he refrains from blowing his limbs off.

Whenever he reaches 100% naturally he'll be far far beyond anything Todroki or Bakugou could reasonably do though.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Huh? Deku very specifically can't use his full power right now without blowing himself up. The whole point of his recent innovations are allowing him to fight by maximizing what he can do himself with his current limit of only being able to handle 5%. In terms of the class Deku is high up there but would still have issues with either Todoroki or Bakugo at the very least. More importantly the rest of the class is going to keep on growing so there will still be pressure from his classmates at the very least.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I guess there hasn't been a suitable enough comparison to tell since the last tournament arc

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
From the other thread.

https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/status/1019018974556803072

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Deku is near the top of his class powerwise, but that's in very specific situations, in a one-on-one contest, Todoroki would probably beat him, and with Tokoyami learning how to negate his close-range weakness, and Deku lacking in light-production, he'd have a tough time with him as well. If I had to rank the class right now top 5 would be like
Todoroki
Bakugo
Tokoyami
Deku (Working within his limits)
Yayorozu

The more Deku improves, the more strides he'll make.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Love it.

This show is so good even though it follows standard tropes. I sincerely hopes it lasts a long time.

Jim Lee did it too:

https://twitter.com/JimLee/status/1018571849968463872

Diabetic fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 17, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Onmi posted:

Deku is near the top of his class powerwise, but that's in very specific situations, in a one-on-one contest, Todoroki would probably beat him, and with Tokoyami learning how to negate his close-range weakness, and Deku lacking in light-production, he'd have a tough time with him as well. If I had to rank the class right now top 5 would be like
Todoroki
Bakugo
Tokoyami
Deku (Working within his limits)
Yayorozu

The more Deku improves, the more strides he'll make.

I might put Ochaco over Momo for now, at least until Momo gets more confident in herself. Probably Tsui too. All assuming we're talking about straight up fights, anyway.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

I might put Ochaco over Momo for now, at least until Momo gets more confident in herself. Probably Tsui too. All assuming we're talking about straight up fights, anyway.

I think with her recent developments Momo is a better fighter than Tsui or Ochako, The Rising she got vs Aizawa was a big boost. Not that Ochako and Tsui aren't up there. But the Practical Exams will be our chance to see how everyone's developed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I don't think we've really seen what Ochako can do now since her internships. The anime has been content to be like "Hey, look she's floating herself over there! Come back later."