Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

fishmech posted:

(and he did a pretty good job keeping clones from directly using his characters too).

He's honestly kinda done the exact opposite of that. There are a shitload of FNAF fan games that use the original Fazbear quadrio, and Pizzeria Simulator basically establishes any fan games that want it are canon to the series, either as a rival pizzeria or a franchisee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Danaru posted:

He's honestly kinda done the exact opposite of that. There are a shitload of FNAF fan games that use the original Fazbear quadrio, and Pizzeria Simulator basically establishes any fan games that want it are canon to the series, either as a rival pizzeria or a franchisee.

There are infinite amounts of knockoff games for anything popular. Meanwhile at the peak of Slenderman games there were multiple separate studios having their games making it to consoles and again none of them were made by the person who made Slenderman or the people who'd built up all the mythos in creepypasta.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I don't know nothin' about slenderman, I just poke my head in if anyone's talking about fnaf :saddowns:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

fishmech posted:

There are infinite amounts of knockoff games for anything popular. Meanwhile at the peak of Slenderman games there were multiple separate studios having their games making it to consoles and again none of them were made by the person who made Slenderman or the people who'd built up all the mythos in creepypasta.

Yeah, considering it was just a bunch of goons in a GBS thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3150591&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

But of course, its all been lost to the sands of time

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Slenderman is nearly a decade old now. Jesus. And I forgot I even posted in that thread.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Someone offered to buy the slenderman rights from lowtax and he told them to gently caress off.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Tunicate posted:

Someone offered to buy the slenderman rights from lowtax and he told them to gently caress off.

Isn't there a movie coming out though?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

working mom posted:

They’re probably using the ‘I saw it on google therefore it’s public domain’ excuse. Or claiming it’s folklore even though it’s genesis can be traced directly to one thread and a handful of posters.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tunicate posted:

Could Lowtax even claim that copyright? I thought it was random goons and not the Taxman himself.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

working mom posted:

There is. I saw a trailer for it when we went to see Tag (which was much better than I expected).

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Once again Lowtax fucks up getting easy money

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

red19fire posted:

They’re probably using the ‘I saw it on google therefore it’s public domain’ excuse. Or claiming it’s folklore even though it’s genesis can be traced directly to one thread and a handful of posters.

It's hardly a difficult thing to modify just enough to get away with.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Slanderman.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think the movie actually went through the proper channels to get permission/rights.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I think the movie actually went through the proper channels to get permission/rights.

Yeah. Apparently there's some ~mysterious~ third party who owns the rights but considering that the movie went forward fine and the creator is involved with it I suspect it's someone associated with him who takes care of the legal side of things.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's not exactly hard to make a legally distinct Slenderman, most go with 'The Thin Man' or something along those lines. (the Supernatural episode comes to mind)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Slenderman is the shittiest folklore ever for that reason. It all traces back to some goon making a Photoshop with no pretense that it's a real thing. Like, with other cheesy folklore stuff there's always some rural weirdo that swears it's real and he's seen it and it makes it sort of fun. With Slenderman it's just like "Some guy made content for a thread. Even he knew it was bs" Super scary.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

Slenderman is the shittiest folklore ever for that reason. It all traces back to some goon making a Photoshop with no pretense that it's a real thing. Like, with other cheesy folklore stuff there's always some rural weirdo that swears it's real and he's seen it and it makes it sort of fun. With Slenderman it's just like "Some guy made content for a thread. Even he knew it was bs" Super scary.

Basically the same problem as with how UFO sightings disappeared overnight when phone cameras became a thing, random corners of dead gay internet forums are the only place where genuine organic folklore comes from anymore, no one cares what rural weirdos think unless they voted Trump and you're the New York Times.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think if you want to make a modern addition to folklore you should at least be required to pull a hoax that people can argue about. Smdh that some little girls actually killed someone over some sloppy photoshop that was presented as "here's my Photoshop!"

At least with Bigfoot or Chupacabra or Jesus I can't like, prove it's not real in 10 seconds.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

I think if you want to make a modern addition to folklore you should at least be required to pull a hoax that people can argue about. Smdh that some little girls actually killed someone over some sloppy photoshop that was presented as "here's my Photoshop!"

At least with Bigfoot or Chupacabra or Jesus I can't like, prove it's not real in 10 seconds.

And yet stories mutate unrecognisably through the telephone game of the internet; that was a little girl who stabbed another little girl a bunch of times (she survived) as a sacrifice to Slenderman.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

veni veni veni posted:

He wasn't real then, but he could be real now. All these idiots thinking about him could have made a slenderTulpa.
I mean, tulpas aren't real either, but they are not real in the traditional way rather than the photoshop way.

A spirit, demon, or small god could also have been encouraged to assume the slenderman form. Once you've got worshipers willing to commit to human sacrifice that would be pretty enticing for those sorts of parasitic supernatural entities. Which don't exist.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's a recurring meta theme with Slenderman material, most of the YouTube series I've seen implied that he is attracted to online attention. (and just loves the camera in general)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

It's also ball easy to prove that the Earth is round but that doesn't stop Flat Earthers now does it?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

LOL if you think those middle school stabbers know what Something Awful is.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The MSJ posted:

LOL if you think those middle school stabbers know what Something Awful is.

You mean there are people here who don't act like they're 14?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jedit posted:

You mean there are people here who don't act like they're 14?

I act like I'm 12 :smaug:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
im 5

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah. Apparently there's some ~mysterious~ third party who owns the rights but considering that the movie went forward fine and the creator is involved with it I suspect it's someone associated with him who takes care of the legal side of things.

I wouldn't be surprised if Knudsen had just hired a lawyer to take care of rights issues like this whenever it comes up, considering that Slender Man is a pretty popular character.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's not exactly hard to make a legally distinct Slenderman, most go with 'The Thin Man' or something along those lines. (the Supernatural episode comes to mind)

Now I’ve got an image of Slenderman and his equally dapper spouse Splendorman solving crimes. Dapperly.

To haul this back somewhat on topic after my inadvertent derail -

Danaru posted:

I don't know nothin' about slenderman, I just poke my head in if anyone's talking about fnaf :saddowns:

Same to be honest.

Anyway, all this talk of creator rights and IP and etc makes me think about the vast number of fan projects on Kickstarter related to merchandise. I admit to liking enamel pins as an accessory and a fashion trend and have backed a few KS with zero issues with the possible exception of the time frame being a month or two longer than expected, fair enough imo. A sizable chunk of designs are derivative from various media and it makes me wonder at what point is too far legally? Do most legal departments not want a C&D to go viral or is it more money than it’s worth? Or have we just avoided scandal because the subject matter and timing haven’t aligned for mainstream media to take notice?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

For small stuff like enamel pins and t-shirts, I think it's just generally up to the rights holder's discretion. Like, if you were making Family Guy enamel pins, Fox is a big enough company that makes enough off of Family Guy for that to not be a real issue for their bottom line. However, for example, since something like Undertale is a much smaller project with less people involved, Toby Fox requests that no one sell unauthorized merchandise, since that's a bigger issue for his own bottom line.

Of course, it's different for everything. Another indie game might be fine if you make a t-shirt, and a big company like Sanrio basically shuts everyfuckin'thing down.

Waffleman_ has a new favorite as of 16:30 on Jul 15, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Anyway, all this talk of creator rights and IP and etc makes me think about the vast number of fan projects on Kickstarter related to merchandise. I admit to liking enamel pins as an accessory and a fashion trend and have backed a few KS with zero issues with the possible exception of the time frame being a month or two longer than expected, fair enough imo. A sizable chunk of designs are derivative from various media and it makes me wonder at what point is too far legally? Do most legal departments not want a C&D to go viral or is it more money than it’s worth? Or have we just avoided scandal because the subject matter and timing haven’t aligned for mainstream media to take notice?

It totally depends.

It depends on things like:

1. how does the property owner feel about it
2. how big is the production run
3. how similar is it to existing merchandise
4. does it present itself as authorized merchandise

the #1 killer of projects like that is running afoul of #4, because a property owner essentially needs to protect it from 4 far more than 2 or 3

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, generally the big question in infringement issues is brand confusion. If somebody confuses an unauthorized product for an official product, that weakens their copyrights.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, generally the big question in infringement issues is brand confusion. If somebody confuses an unauthorized product for an official product, that weakens their copyrights.

yeah, 2 and 3 can hypothetically affect $. but 4 can hypothetically affect the legal status of the property. wayyy bigger deal.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
You can't weaken a copyright, that's ironclad for as long as the copyright term lasts. Like an item could have been published 50 years ago, the author died 5 years later, and no one bothered to enforce the copyright against people republishing all that time. But the dudes' grandson could show up, assert their ownership of the copyright via wills and stuff, and start suing everybody who's published the thing recently, and especially anyone who ties to publish anew, cuz there's still 25 years of copyright term left.

What you can weaken and destroy is trademarks, which can either last literally forever if the ownership keeps using them in business and successfully demonstrates willing ness to fight, or be permanently killed within weeks if they don't go hard enough protecting it.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
I really have no idea what to think of this photographer, or whether he's actually a photographer at all.

He says he's been into photography for eight years (probably nine, since he's been posting this since June of last year) and he's on the seventh reposting of exactly the same Kickstarter with exactly the same six-year-old's ABC book of ideas. As far as I can tell the only thing he's changed is his goal (somewhere between $2500 and $3500 each time) and the bland stock photo he picks for his title graphic.

At least this time he has twice as many supporters (if not more actual money) than he's ever gotten before?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Cognitively disabled person or performance art? :thunkher:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Polybius is a double hoax where it pretended to be a usenet hoax but was just one guy with a website lol

CuteStorm
Sep 22, 2010
I was sure this was gonna be a kickstarter from a dude: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wadeez/wadeeztm-swimming-accessory-for-girls-and-women?ref=city&ref=discovery
The name is awful, but also, how on earth do you take it out without uh, opening the flood gates??

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Looking at that, I assume you leave the tampon in, and maybe wrap the string around the little sort of peg-like bit before nesting the thing up in there tucked under the labia?

Which all sounds like it'd pretty uncomfortable to me, but I do not possess those structures and so can only guess. Certainly sounds more uncomfortable than just a wet tampon string, in any case. I mean, if you're swimming, the rest of you is already wet anyway, and even if you get out a bit, your bathing suit is still wet, and I'd think when you're done swimming for the day you'd likely change the damned thing anyway when you dry off and change clothes, so it sounds like a solution in search of a problem to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I hate how gendered that is. But considering it sounds like a cishet middle class white lady wrote it I'm not surprised.

I know it's flexible, but shoving a circular wad of gently caress in addition to a tampon cannot be comfortable at all. Plus on both sides there's a huge lump? Nope thank.

Also what are the odds that thing has fda approval and isn't sourced from the shittiest silicon factory in China?