Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Casimir Radon posted:

No one talks about Peter Thiel because all of the bad poo poo he does is mostly behind the scenes. The vast number of people in the US don't know about his part in taking down Gawker, and probably don't remember that was ever a thing. He's free to sit back, fund really awful causes, and try to live forever. The American public at large doesn't know or care because they're a bunch of spectacle loving retards who are too busy watching what the stupid Afrikaaner is up to.

Thiel gave a funny cocaine fueled rant at the RNC in 2016. Not so much behind the scenes so much as he's not discussed on social media that gets back to SA or grabs headlines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

That Works posted:

Thiel gave a funny cocaine fueled rant at the RNC in 2016. Not so much behind the scenes so much as he's not discussed on social media that gets back to SA or grabs headlines.
He's still nowhere near the attention whore that Musk is.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
New hardcore history is up :woop:
https://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-62-supernova-in-the-east-i/

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/twpolk/status/1018372408074522624

Pretty sure my "Blink-182 pheromone" exposure was before I joined, but I'll still see if the VA will cover it when I get out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The problem with this new info about Musk is that is buries any ideal that he's a progressive. Sure, it makes good business sense to support Republicans, but if you are supporting that sort of regressive agenda while claiming to be progressive, gently caress you.

And Musk isn't the one doing the poo poo his companies do. He's just the money. His legions of engineers are the ones that deserve any credit.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

CommieGIR posted:

And Musk isn't the one doing the poo poo his companies do. He's just the money. His legions of engineers are the ones that deserve any credit.

He may be a decent software engineer for all we know, but building out an online Yellow Book and then a payments processor in no way qualifies you to build cars and rockets.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Musk isn’t a decent engineer. He comes from insane wealth, sold some dot com startup before the bubble popped, and lucked the gently caress out into paypal.

He isn’t anything to be idolized. He represents the boot that’s been on the neck of the working class my entire life.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

However you want to slice it his companies have done some pretty impressive things that if nothing else have pushed the market towards proliferation of electric cars and actual working reusable rockets, the implications of the latter which have yet to be fully realized.

I'm no fanboy of Musk but his companies have definitely done some good poo poo that's likely to be a real positive. If you think without him random collections of engineers just make that happen anyway, I would ask 'then why have they not already' since most of his involved tech is not reliant some massive leap / stroke of genius that needed to be made. Most of it was just getting someone to actually finish doing what had been talked about being done for a good while.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

That Works posted:

However you want to slice it his companies have done some pretty impressive things that if nothing else have pushed the market towards proliferation of electric cars and actual working reusable rockets, the implications of the latter which have yet to be fully realized.

I'm no fanboy of Musk but his companies have definitely done some good poo poo that's likely to be a real positive. If you think without him random collections of engineers just make that happen anyway, I would ask 'then why have they not already' since most of his involved tech is not reliant some massive leap / stroke of genius that needed to be made. Most of it was just getting someone to actually finish doing what had been talked about being done for a good while.

Significant public investment in basic research and technology cold have gotten us even further without the compromises required for a commercial venture. As a bonus, there's no need to build a cult of personality or further enrich people with more money than they can spend.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Capitalism is...inefficient?!?!?!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Being a turd and being good at what you do are not mutually exclusive. See: Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, Tom Brady, Kobe Bryant, etc.

With that being said, Tesla was already an established company before Musk got involved. At the same time, it's kind of hard to argue that his involvement has nothing to do with their success.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Tesla was around before musk and would have kept doing what they were doing. They haven’t revolutionized anything in the auto market and have just been another vehicle to siphon government funds into the wealthiest pockets.

SpaceX, once again, is just owned by musk and he isn’t involved with the stuff they’re doing. Once again, this is another company he owns that is almost 100% dependent on government money and probably would be better if those funds/engineers just worked for NASA instead.

The boring company and the hyperloop is just some pipedream stuff so rich people like him can commute without ever having to encounter the dregs of society.

If you think Elon Musk is a good person, a hero, or has benefitted society in any way, you have just bought into his propaganda machine he runs to try to make himself look better in the public eye.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Significant public investment in basic research and technology cold have gotten us even further without the compromises required for a commercial venture. As a bonus, there's no need to build a cult of personality or further enrich people with more money than they can spend.

Maybe in the abstract, yes, but government funded research is so slow moving (mostly as a result of laziness due to research being oursourced to the private sector) that your statement as of this point in time is highly dubious.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

psydude posted:

Being a turd and being good at what you do are not mutually exclusive. See: Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, Tom Brady, Kobe Bryant, etc.

With that being said, Tesla was already an established company before Musk got involved. At the same time, it's kind of hard to argue that his involvement has nothing to do with their success.

Tesla isn’t successful. They’re losing their asses and probably going to shut down at some point in the next year or two when the rest of the investors pull the plug.

Elon Musk is closer to Trump than he ever will be to Steve Jobs.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Significant public investment in basic research and technology cold have gotten us even further without the compromises required for a commercial venture.

I agree completely, my own laboratory and my employees salaries are supported by government funded grants for basic research.

However, that ship's not turning around any time soon, so to me suggesting that we wait for things to play out that way isn't likely. So, it got done, I don't like the means either, and I don't particularly like Musk nor am advocating for him here beyond saying that I think the advances his companies have done are unlikely to have happened if you remove him from that scenario.

Most of us in the Fed-funded academic research feel like we're about the last generation of people who are gonna be able to work this way. We're competing for ever smaller resource pools while the schools themselves are happy to only make temp and adjunct hires to fill minimal teaching duties and administration by and large is viewing research more and more as a liability than an asset as the federal fund cashflow that they get to skim off of has slowed down.

Personally I think in 20 yrs 'public investment in basic research' is going to be just another funnel of tax dollars into whatever company sets up shop in the congressmans district who has control of that hose at the time.

psydude posted:

Tesla was already an established company before Musk got involved. At the same time, it's kind of hard to argue that his involvement has nothing to do with their success.

Yeah this is essentially my point.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Tesla isn’t successful. They’re losing their asses and probably going to shut down at some point in the next year or two when the rest of the investors pull the plug.

Elon Musk is closer to Trump than he ever will be to Steve Jobs.

Publicly traded companies don't just "shut down" when investors pull the plug; they aren't start-ups. As long as Tesla keeps reaching it's production targets, they'll have no issue raising additional capital.

Late 80s/mid-90s Jobs was about as Musky as you can get.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

psydude posted:

Maybe in the abstract, yes, but government funded research is so slow moving (mostly as a result of laziness due to research being oursourced to the private sector) that your statement as of this point in time is highly dubious.

Most of which is due to a lack of funding and political support for a few decades. Public projects are perfectly capable of expediency with plenty of historical examples, but that has been actively undermined by people trying to direct that money into private interests they can profit from. Coincidentally(?) it turns out that Musk, one of whose primary businesses is reliant on shifting public money to private contractors, is putting money into the party that works towards that.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://twitter.com/NaderDIssa/status/1018284580250488832

read his thread

police beat a reporter and protesters

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

I guess my point is that it's not really news when he posts his latest dumb idea on Twitter. Everyone knows Elon's a turd. Meanwhile, there were a total of three posts about right wing death squads rehashing the best hits of the 80s in Nicaragua.

:justpost: about stuff you think is important instead of complaining that no one's posting about that then?

Edit: 1 hour and a few minutes :mad:

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 15, 2018

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Most of which is due to a lack of funding and political support for a few decades. Public projects are perfectly capable of expediency with plenty of historical examples, but that has been actively undermined by people trying to direct that money into private interests they can profit from. Coincidentally(?) it turns out that Musk, one of whose primary businesses is reliant on shifting public money to private contractors, is putting money into the party that works towards that.

Most of these historical examples that I'm sure you're thinking of were carried out under the pressure of war or major pandemics.

I've worked with well-funded government research agencies in other countries and while they move more quickly than their US counterparts, they're still constrained by the same bureaucratic problems. Which is not to say that there aren't areas where government investment would yield better and quicker results (especially in clean energy and medicine), but I think your view is a bit too optimistic, especially for something that's largely market-driven like EVs.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Personally, I liked the university. They gave us money and facilities; we didn't have to produce anything. You've never been out of college. I've worked in the private sector. They expect results!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

:justpost: about stuff you think is important instead of complaining that no one's posting about that then?

Double posting because of phone, but since the topic is rich assholes, some rich rear end in a top hat in NoVA drove his new McLaren into a tree a day after buying it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.97ae0e3273a2

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Tesla was around before musk and would have kept doing what they were doing. They haven’t revolutionized anything in the auto market and have just been another vehicle to siphon government funds into the wealthiest pockets.

I agree with you on Tesla being around before Musk, but their trajectory at the time of him joining appeared to have been development of electric drivetrain technologies. Bringing Elon on board brought them an investor that gave the company credibility (lol) at an early stage to attract other investors (who felt their individual financial risk was spread enough), which got the company a lot of capital. With this access to capital they could develop their technologies to an extent where they could more easily obtain government loans under Obama's new energy stimulus initiatives. So Musk was the one who enabled the funding windfall. If anything, this shows that revolutionary ideas aren't exactly revolutionary, just something workable with lots of capital and some smart/determined folks behind them. Without Musk they probably would have been like hundreds of other OEMs for car companies supplying R&D and parts, reasonably successful but definitely not producing cars under their own brand.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

psydude posted:

Publicly traded companies don't just "shut down" when investors pull the plug; they aren't start-ups. As long as Tesla keeps reaching it's production targets, they'll have no issue raising additional capital.

Late 80s/mid-90s Jobs was about as Musky as you can get.

Tesla hasn’t met its production goals and is having major issues every step of the way. The model 3s off the line, to boot, have major issues ranging from paint finish and uneven body parts to mechanical failures. You’re right they probably won’t just wrap up, but i could see them getting sold off before too long. Investors don’t like it when you do nothing but lose money.

Jobs bough lucasarts digital studio in the mid 80s from them after being ousted by apple which became Pixar and his estate to this day is the largest single shareholder of Disney stock. Further, he bought nEXT which was what became OSX when it was bought by apple in the mid 90s. I think you may have apple itself from the mid 80s until Jobs came back in the late 90s confuses with Jobs himself. Jobs was massively successful after getting fired from apple. Steve Jobs is a crook, a liar, and an rear end in a top hat, but he was actually a self-made man.

Third World Reggin posted:

read his thread

This poo poo is hosed.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Current Event: Croatia and France play the final World Cup game in a few minutes.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1018505513091379200

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 15, 2018

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

mlmp08 posted:

Current Event: Croatia and France play the final World Cup game in a few minutes.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1018505513091379200

Once again I am exasperated.

How did he come to that conclusion before China?

Brain worms and bribes.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Goddammit gently caress that loving idiot motherfucker. I hope he dies on a toilet.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1018501070652432384?s=19

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

That Works posted:

I agree completely, my own laboratory and my employees salaries are supported by government funded grants for basic research.

However, that ship's not turning around any time soon, so to me suggesting that we wait for things to play out that way isn't likely. So, it got done, I don't like the means either, and I don't particularly like Musk nor am advocating for him here beyond saying that I think the advances his companies have done are unlikely to have happened if you remove him from that scenario.

Most of us in the Fed-funded academic research feel like we're about the last generation of people who are gonna be able to work this way. We're competing for ever smaller resource pools while the schools themselves are happy to only make temp and adjunct hires to fill minimal teaching duties and administration by and large is viewing research more and more as a liability than an asset as the federal fund cashflow that they get to skim off of has slowed down.

Personally I think in 20 yrs 'public investment in basic research' is going to be just another funnel of tax dollars into whatever company sets up shop in the congressmans district who has control of that hose at the time.

Weird. So us Musk-haters are actually being less cynical than you.

I could be wrong, but I'm going to act as if we can fund basic research, and provide health care for all, and not die in nuclear fire, etc., etc.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

There is certainly a correlation of “western man frequents/moves to Thailand” and “pedophile” but it seems like the wrong time to bring that up.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Please be nice to Elon.

Could've done the rescue with literally no gear according to Elon. But the sub was good anyway?

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 15, 2018

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mr. Nice! posted:

Steve Jobs is a crook, a liar, and an rear end in a top hat, but he was actually a self-made man.

Don't repeat yourself

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Once again I am exasperated.

How did he come to that conclusion before China?

Brain worms and bribes.

I assume it's just because he doesn't like how people in the EU protest him and the politicians don't gladhandle him.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Here is my favorite story about Elon being an rear end in a top hat.

https://www.stereogum.com/2003863/elon-musk-lisa-prank-fight-over-farting-unicorn-drawing/news/

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

read his thread

I hope his last words weren’t, “I hate to cut and run...”

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1018496446415306752

This guy is fuckin' nuts.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

haha who said he's closer to trump than jobs?
looks like you were on the money

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

read his thread

quote:

Witnesses at the scene said the man who was killed by Chicago Police had a gun in a holster, but wasn't reaching for it and was running away. Others who knew him say he had a concealed carry permit. That's not verified, we'll try to find out more.

NRA gonna be all over this one for sure. Right guys? Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Musk calling that guy a pedo is absolutely childish spite mixed with creepy projection, but boy would that be a new level of milkshake duck if he happened to be right.

E: Thailand is a fantastic place to make a living as a dive instructor and guide, so I have no suspicions.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 15, 2018

• Locked thread