Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

your av is making the appropriate reactions to all your posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

ya'll ok fellas?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

both of those games cost the same because nerds guzzle loving plastic to the very end of their budget like it's going out of style

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Liquid Communism posted:

Man, it's been a couple months and the final release isn't 'til August, but I'm still bummed about SIGMATA. Advertising a game as 'A tabletop role-playing game about ethical insurgency against a fascist regime, taking place in a dystopian vision of 1980s America.' then a month after close of the campaign going 'and by resistance, we mean the far-right fringe!' is pretty loving terrible, and I wish misfortune upon Chad Walker in every way possible.

For those who didn't catch the drama : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2089483951/sigmata-this-signal-kills-fascists/posts/2092902

So your protagonists are inherently, and mechanically required to balance the interests of a coalition made of libertarian militiamen, end-times cultists, randian industrial technocrats, and tankies.

Talk about a fucknuckle of a writing decision. For fun, here's some of their promotional art :

I actually talked to the guy when he first announced it and tried to find out his game. At the time, I bought his "I am a centrist who was trying to see both sides" shtick. Which, while horrible, isn't actively malicious. As time went on, though, I am convinced he knew exactly what he was doing. I mean, no centrist can be this dumb without it being intentional. Right? Right? Actually, no, I'm wrong: they can be. But I am still convinced this poo poo was intentional. I mean, he had to know what he was doing when he showed that promo art...then made the resistance the four evils of the neo-nazi axis powers.

Glad I didn't back it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

your average xwing force probably costs 40-60 bucks and its ready to play

FFG release patches and buffs in the form of gear/pilot cards that they shove in other, completely unrelated models, so your average X-Wing list requires a $60-$100 spend on the minis you're fielding and another $100 spent on buying random other minis you don't want just so you can have the pilot/upgrade/ordnance/etc. cards that make the list work.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
I probably should have posted this a week ago, but I suck at self-promotion, so...

Geist: The Sin-Eaters Second Edition

I developed this! It's about social justice necromancers fighting against the systemic oppression of the Underworld! It's written by an incredibly talented, diverse group of folks! If you like the Chronicles of Darkness games, spooky ghost powers, and horror that is still fundamentally optimistic and hopeful, you should check it out!

Also, they're releasing the pre-layout manuscript of the game in chunks over the course of the Kickstarter--as of now I believe they've released Chapters 1-3, which covers the types of characters, setting overview, and character creation, so if you back it you can see where it's going.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Cool!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Scion 2e sent out backer pdfs.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Are there any goon board game reviewers out there? My game, Bee Lives: We Will Only Know Summer is going to kickstarter in September and I'm starting to get copies out for reviews/previews in earnest. We also have a booth, #3058 at Gen Con which you're probably sick of me talk about if your in the Gen Con thread, but check us out if you're there.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
GMS has some new progress to share with Far West!

He now has a new music album to listen to while he writes AND he's got some great new art!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The only thing I'm curious about is how many sources he plagiarized from.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

NGDBSS posted:

The only thing I'm curious about is how many sources he plagiarized from.

I think the dude on the left might be based mostly on the bad guy from Snake in the Eagle's Shadow or the first Jackie Chan Drunken Master. I haven't seen either of them in forever, so maybe not. It's not like there's a shortage of older men using Eagle/Tiger Claw in old kung fu movies. It's something about the face that makes me think of a villain from some of Jackie's older movies.

EDIT: As I look at it further, the two guys become more and more disconnected. It seems like he didn't posterize them the same way, or the lighting for them was just completely off from one another. Look at how detailed the left guy's hands are, compared to the vague blob of the gunman's hand. They're just sort of floating vaguely near each other. That's some real poo poo.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 15, 2018

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

holy gently caress those filters are hard on the eyes

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

got one.

edit: Better version, probably the specific one he used.

Baron Snow fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 15, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
The other one says 1973 Westworld to me but I can't find an exact match.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Baron Snow posted:

got one.

edit: Better version, probably the specific one he used.

Holy poo poo it's not even a composite. He's managed to get even worse at this.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Overturn: Rising Sands is a 1-6 player coop game in the spirit of Massive Darkness. Because it is Massive Darkness. The designers were asked to provide an alpha rulebook and when they did, they were caught plagiarising CMON's game.

They also did a straight C&P from Mythic Games for their profile, and while they claim to be a Canadian company they're actually from Pakistan. If you know anyone who's backing this, tell them to get their money out.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 15, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Liquid Communism posted:

The other one says 1973 Westworld to me but I can't find an exact match.

I know, right? I was about to post the same thing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

How hard would it be to just pay a random guy on deviantART to just draw a bunch of Cowboys? He probably get the work done faster. Or do people use Tumblr now?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Covok posted:

How hard would it be to just pay a random guy on deviantART to just draw a bunch of Cowboys?
I've bolded the word in your question that points to the answer.

GMS is broke. He's cancelled physical print runs for pre-sold books, instead giving PDF copies and scrip for the Adamant company digital store.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FMguru posted:

GMS is broke. He's cancelled physical print runs for pre-sold books, instead giving PDF copies and scrip for the Adamant company digital store.

"And I'm happy to have that," says people who really should be angrier with the whole deal.

Covok
May 27, 2013

FMguru posted:

He SHOULD have had money post-kickstarter. He should have just gone "okay, I'll give you like 500 dollars to do the layout, I'll give you like 300 to do some art pieces, and I'll give you like 700 to edit it" and be done with it. That's what I plan on doing if I ever do F.E.V as a kickstarter. The game is already written so I would just find some people, hash out a reasonable price, do a kickstarter with the cost plus a flexible "in-case poo poo goes pearshaped" buffer as the goal money, and just give it to them to finish it. I mean, when you can't do something, hire someone who can, right?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Covok posted:

He SHOULD have had money post-kickstarter. He should have just gone "okay, I'll give you like 500 dollars to do the layout, I'll give you like 300 to do some art pieces, and I'll give you like 700 to edit it" and be done with it. That's what I plan on doing if I ever do F.E.V as a kickstarter. The game is already written so I would just find some people, hash out a reasonable price, do a kickstarter with the cost plus a flexible "in-case poo poo goes pearshaped" buffer as the goal money, and just give it to them to finish it. I mean, when you can't do something, hire someone who can, right?

How's FEV going lately, by the way?

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Covok posted:

I mean, when you can't do something, hire someone who can, right?

You gotta remember, Dunning-Kruger is a bitch.

Covok
May 27, 2013

spectralent posted:

How's FEV going lately, by the way?

Mostly sitting there idle because of my own laziness and fear that I haven't "marketed it" enough. Like, I never did a kickstarter before and I'm kind of lazy. The game is literally done ,for the most part. It just needs a good editing pass. And people have been kind of doing that for me. Seriously, I'm not even kidding, I still get notification going "someone suggested you remove a period here" or "someone suggested you add a space here" on the document. I kind of need to go through them.

It's languishing due to real life bullshit too. It'd be like "I'm going to do it" then I got laid-off from my job. Twice. And it kind of makes me forget about the whole thing when I scramble to get a job then need to settle into my new job.

The game itself is shockingly actually got legs despite me periodically forgetting it exists. Like I said, I keep getting suggestions on the doc. And, a couple months ago, someone reached out to me and told me they were a player in a campaign of it that had been going on for a couple months. He invited me to their discord because it is essentially a pbp game done on discord. It was actually really awesome to meet those guys and see how much fun they were having. I use them as a sounding board sometimes. You know, going "Hey, you been running into any problems" or "hey, anything you think the game is lacking?" kind of stuff.

I really should put my foot down and finally setup the kickstarter. I actually did start it forever ago and do have some of the layout done for the kickstarter page. I'm just...a bit of an anxiety ridden wreck who has trouble doing things that should be easy due to fears that only exist in my own head.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Covok posted:

Mostly sitting there idle because of my own laziness and fear that I haven't "marketed it" enough. Like, I never did a kickstarter before and I'm kind of lazy. The game is literally done ,for the most part. It just needs a good editing pass. And people have been kind of doing that for me. Seriously, I'm not even kidding, I still get notification going "someone suggested you remove a period here" or "someone suggested you add a space here" on the document. I kind of need to go through them.

It's languishing due to real life bullshit too. It'd be like "I'm going to do it" then I got laid-off from my job. Twice. And it kind of makes me forget about the whole thing when I scramble to get a job then need to settle into my new job.

The game itself is shockingly actually got legs despite me periodically forgetting it exists. Like I said, I keep getting suggestions on the doc. And, a couple months ago, someone reached out to me and told me they were a player in a campaign of it that had been going on for a couple months. He invited me to their discord because it is essentially a pbp game done on discord. It was actually really awesome to meet those guys and see how much fun they were having. I use them as a sounding board sometimes. You know, going "Hey, you been running into any problems" or "hey, anything you think the game is lacking?" kind of stuff.

I really should put my foot down and finally setup the kickstarter. I actually did start it forever ago and do have some of the layout done for the kickstarter page. I'm just...a bit of an anxiety ridden wreck who has trouble doing things that should be easy due to fears that only exist in my own head.

Consider how far Far West and Alas Vegas were delayed due to anxiety and depression before you set up the Kickstarter. Look at how much Blades in the Dark changed once it was playtested some amount closer to what it should have been before being Kickstarted. Look at how much Erika Chappell is changing her game to make it "worthy" of the successful Kickstarter. To me, you don't sound like you're in a good position at all to have a healthy Kickstarter experience, whether it succeeds or not.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
$300 is very, very conservative for an art budget.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

RPG's pay very conservatively as an industry.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Covok posted:

That sucks, I'm sorry to hear. Good luck on the new jobs!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The Rifter has an art budget higher than that, I'm pretty certain, and the pay on that is self-admittedly "abysmal" - they pay about half the industry standard for RPGs! Granted, even that may actually not be fair to compare to an indie production. But bear in mind that typically you'll be paying around $100 for a full page of art, double that for color, reduce accordingly with picture size (so a half-page will usually be half that). Usually you'll be looking at $1,000 to $3,000, even with the low industry standards of artist payments in mind.

It's possible to increase or decrease that significantly depending on the artist and complexity you're working with, of course, and just adjusting the amount of art used. But the numbers I cited are definitely in line with what you would expect the art budget to be for a project like Far West with the money it started at.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

$300 is very, very conservative for an art budget.

I just pulled the number out of my arse. Though, that's probably how much I would pay out-of-pocket before actually kickstarting it. I learned from forum user Ettin and forum user gnome7 that you pretty much HAVE to spend some money to get some art and poo poo done before you kickstart anything. I mean, I kind of always knew that, but, when Ettin was talking about how much easier it was to work on Breakfast Cult when he (I'm assuming Ettin's a he, but I'm not sure) had the KS money to dip into instead of paying out of pocket, it kind of hit me.

homullus posted:

Consider how far Far West and Alas Vegas were delayed due to anxiety and depression before you set up the Kickstarter. Look at how much Blades in the Dark changed once it was playtested some amount closer to what it should have been before being Kickstarted. Look at how much Erika Chappell is changing her game to make it "worthy" of the successful Kickstarter. To me, you don't sound like you're in a good position at all to have a healthy Kickstarter experience, whether it succeeds or not.

I guess not. I mean, my plan would be just to give it to a bunch of people to work on while I monitor. I mean, that's the plan at least. My part of the game process -- making the game -- is done. And I'm even already having it playtested. So, like, that is all good. I even got a few ideas for stretch goals from my playtesters -- a goten/trunks inspired playbook where you are kind of the second half of another character, rules for filler arcs, and stuff like that. So, I think really it just needs layout and stuff. Hell, I already even started the layout but it's...amaeturish.

You can see for yourself here. Just a head's up that this is set to two-page spread. Wherever you see "placeholer", I plan to put art there. If anyone is curious, I don't plan on putting any color artwork in it to save money because I'm a cheap gently caress and don't want printing costs to get high to mimic how manga is traditionally drawn in black and white.

Like, maybe I could just do it all myself. I could finish the layout, then just commission some art, and do it all out of pocket. But my ability is kind of lacking. Though, I guess I could always come back to it, like I did with Dungeon Bastards (where the first set of layout was BAD and then a friend from my Urban Shadow's game offered to make it look nice).

spectralent posted:

That sucks, I'm sorry to hear. Good luck on the new jobs!

In some ways, it was for the best. When I worked at KPMG, I was commuting 1 1/2 hours to the city and 1 1/2 hours back. And, from January to April and from July to October, I was regularly working 60 to 80 hour weeks, often not getting home till 12am or even 2 or 4am. So, my second job being 10 minutes away was nice, even with the pay drop. Then, when that place dropped me -- and everyone I talked to is convinced they were secretly hiring me as a temp employee for one busy season because they let me go the day after tax season ended and that I was replacing a guy they had fired last year at well the exact same time -- I was able to get a new job with a 30,000+ pay raise that is only a 40 minute drive away. So, honestly, I've managed okay for myself and I'm very lucky and grateful that I have a good network of family, friends, and colleagues to help me out.

Covok fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 15, 2018

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Covok posted:

I just pulled the number out of my arse. Though, that's probably how much I would pay out-of-pocket before actually kickstarting it. I learned from forum user Ettin and forum user gnome7 that you pretty much HAVE to spend some money to get some art and poo poo done before you kickstart anything. I mean, I kind of always knew that, but, when Ettin was talking about how much easier it was to work on Breakfast Cult when he (I'm assuming Ettin's a he, but I'm not sure) had the KS money to dip into instead of paying out of pocket, it kind of hit me.

Oh, yeah, that's totally reasonable for a kickstarter, I misunderstood.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The Rifter has an art budget higher than that, I'm pretty certain, and the pay on that is self-admittedly "abysmal" - they pay about half the industry standard for RPGs! Granted, even that may actually not be fair to compare to an indie production. But bear in mind that typically you'll be paying around $100 for a full page of art, double that for color, reduce accordingly with picture size (so a half-page will usually be half that). Usually you'll be looking at $1,000 to $3,000, even with the low industry standards of artist payments in mind.

It's possible to increase or decrease that significantly depending on the artist and complexity you're working with, of course, and just adjusting the amount of art used. But the numbers I cited are definitely in line with what you would expect the art budget to be for a project like Far West with the money it started at.

I wonder if The Rifter just doesn't make that much money or, you know, Kevin.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Covok posted:

I guess not. I mean, my plan would be just to give it to a bunch of people to work on while I monitor. I mean, that's the plan at least. My part of the game process -- making the game -- is done. And I'm even already having it playtested. So, like, that is all good. I even got a few ideas for stretch goals from my playtesters -- a goten/trunks inspired playbook where you are kind of the second half of another character, rules for filler arcs, and stuff like that. So, I think really it just needs layout and stuff. Hell, I already even started the layout but it's...amaeturish.

You can see for yourself here. Just a head's up that this is set to two-page spread. Wherever you see "placeholer", I plan to put art there. If anyone is curious, I don't plan on putting any color artwork in it to save money because I'm a cheap gently caress and don't want printing costs to get high to mimic how manga is traditionally drawn in black and white.

Like, maybe I could just do it all myself. I could finish the layout, then just commission some art, and do it all out of pocket. But my ability is kind of lacking. Though, I guess I could always come back to it, like I did with Dungeon Bastards (where the first set of layout was BAD and then a friend from my Urban Shadow's game offered to make it look nice).

In some ways, it was for the best. When I worked at KPMG, I was commuting 1 1/2 hours to the city and 1 1/2 hours back. And, from January to April and from July to October, I was regularly working 60 to 80 hour weeks, often not getting home till 12am or even 2 or 4am. So, my second job being 10 minutes away was nice, even with the pay drop. Then, when that place dropped me -- and everyone I talked to is convinced they were secretly hiring me as a temp employee for one busy season because they let me go the day after tax season ended and that I was replacing a guy they had fired last year at well the exact same time -- I was able to get a new job with a 30,000+ pay raise that is only a 40 minute drive away. So, honestly, I've managed okay for myself and I'm very lucky and grateful that I have a good network of family, friends, and colleagues to help me out.

I'm actually super interested in hearing about your experience writing F.E.V., is there a better thread for discussing it further?

Glad to hear about the improvement in your situation, regardless!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Agent Rush posted:

I'm actually super interested in hearing about your experience writing F.E.V., is there a better thread for discussing it further?

Glad to hear about the improvement in your situation, regardless!

I guess we can talk about it in the game writing thread. That seems the most appropriate.

Just post your questions there and I'll get back to you.

Covok fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 16, 2018

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Sure to controversial, Zak Smith has Demon City, the horror RPG he's been working on on Patreon for a while. Sure to have amazing art, but also Zak Smith, so that'll put some people off.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 17, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

gently caress off.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Mors Rattus posted:

gently caress off.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Mors Rattus posted:

gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

The unique system for investigations is just the Conspyramid from Night's Black Agents, but not as good. Since the Conspyramid is really well done, you might think this is still good, but no. Zak Smith Serial Harasser's radical insight is that you can model investigations as zones with the solution in the middle.

Which I guess is radical if you've been playing the same edition of D&D since the late 80s, but the rest of us have enjoyed thirty years of innovation in the field.