Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Right, what eventually became valuable was because it wasn't at the time and no one expected it to be valuable. There's also the factor of whoever's old enough to have disposable income having nostalgia for said objects. That said, I hear that Micro Machines are in that bubble at the moment.

Croatoan posted:

Edit: Also I don't get why they discontinued micro machines. I assume my 7 year old son would love them so I looked them up and yeah they just don't produce them any more. So I can see why there's a current bubble.
loving Micro Machines. I was never able to get them as a kid because they were small and too expensive for their size according to my dad. So then at some later point I'm an adult and have money and nooope. Don't make them any more but at least I can still get cool Hot Wheels though.
But the insult here is that they relaunched the Micro Machines brand.
For The Force Awakens and that's it :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Croatoan posted:

And that right there is why I PMd my wife this morning asking if I can get that New Mutants graded so I can sell it. Strike while the iron's hot and Deadpool III may suck so I need to sell this while the getting's good.

Comics grading is an inane racket, but if idiots are willing to pay substantially more than the grading costs for a graded book then I may do it too. But lol @ 8-12 weeks to return your comics...

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Sometime along the way my mother threw out my issues of the original Marvel Star Wars, issues like 3 to 70ish, and the first six issues of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

I think issue #1 of TMNT is over $1000. Oh well. I look at it as being out the buck fitty I paid for it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

enigmahfc posted:

First appearance of Deadpool and Cable, respectively.

I was going through my collection to see what I should sell and what I should donate. I had the Marvel Super-heros #8 that I got in a quarter bin sometime in the 90's. It's the first appearance of a dumb character named Squirrel Girl that's the new comic book hard-on character. I sold it for $60 less then a year ago.

You can never predict what would have been worth money.

I dunno what 'the new comic book hard-on character' is supposed to mean. Squirrel Girl is a really cool deconstruction of superhero cliches. Its a good comic.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno what 'the new comic book hard-on character' is supposed to mean. Squirrel Girl is a really cool deconstruction of superhero cliches. Its a good comic.

It was a throw away joke character at first. So seeing as she's now a legit popular character it's weird. Also I think I own that issue. Dang maybe I have more gold in these boxes than I thought. I've got all of the original Infinity war stuff, bet that's worth something. Sorry for the comic book derail y'all.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Zaphod42 posted:

edit: you know what? Nevermind. I don't like her, others do, I don't get it, but that's fine.

Also, looking back on random 90's comics, there were so many companies getting in on that sweet, sweet comic money before the whole industry caught fire around 1996. loving Topps....

enigmahfc has a new favorite as of 19:27 on Jul 12, 2018

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Honus Wagner cards are valuable because like 200 were made, ever, like a century ago. A few dozen have survived. It happened because he didn't like the idea of kids buying tobacco to get the card.

This isn't true and the actual reason why he objected to appearing on the cards is an unsettled debate

https://baseballhall.org/discover-more/stories/baseball-history/honus-is-on-you

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Cynical collectible cash grab bullshit is so 90s. Comics, beanie babies, cards...My goodness was there so much of it. While failing to ignore that the old collectibles are valuable because they weren't even all that common when they were made. Honus Wagner cards are valuable because like 200 were made, ever, like a century ago. A few dozen have survived. It happened because he didn't like the idea of kids buying tobacco to get the card. It took many decades for them to get valuable. Action comics 1 is valuable for similar reasons. Not a ton were printed because comics were new and nobody had any idea they'd be this big. A few dozen have survived. They're 80 years old so it isn't likely you'll retire on something printed in the millions but drat did that not stop the 90s from producing nonstop fad collectibles.

Are you telling me all my figurines from the franklin mint are worthless?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

This is the only thing worth anything

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I have a binder of Marvel cards from the ‘90s. I’m sure they’re worthless but it would be so cool if they weren’t.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Might be wrong but squirrel girl is the last Steve ditto creation for marvel too. Double whammy

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

burial posted:

I have a binder of Marvel cards from the ‘90s. I’m sure they’re worthless but it would be so cool if they weren’t.

Man I totally had some marvel and star wars cards.

That poo poo is long gone now though.

I remember the marvel cards had a relative power breakdown of each superhero and half of them didn't make sense.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

burial posted:

I have like the first 3 series of those...and the DC ones....and the Marvel Masterpiece sets...and so many more.
Thankfully, they take up like no room, but I have no idea why I keep them.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Croccers posted:

loving Micro Machines. I was never able to get them as a kid because they were small and too expensive for their size according to my dad. So then at some later point I'm an adult and have money and nooope. Don't make them any more but at least I can still get cool Hot Wheels though.

drat, I didn't know they stopped making Micro Machines. Makes me wish I still had the few I collected when I was a kid. Then again, I had a shitload of Matchbox and Maisto cars to gently caress around with and a few Johnny Lightning cars I wish I kept better care of. I wound up losing the vast majority of that collection (had to be at least 200+ cars at one point) during a family drama-related move and the rest were given away to my younger siblings when I got older.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I sold the vast majority of my baseball card collection - probably about 15,000-20,000 cards - for $30 a couple of years ago. The dealer was being generous. I didn't want to put the cards in the dumpster. I know no one is interested in a pile of Rance Mulliniks and Rafael Ramirez cards but I couldn't stand to just throw them away. The dealer keeps piles of cards like that, some of them for kids who are interested in the novelty of baseball cards.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Man I totally had some marvel and star wars cards.

That poo poo is long gone now though.

I remember the marvel cards had a relative power breakdown of each superhero and half of them didn't make sense.

No, they really really didn’t make sense. Not at all.

enigmahfc posted:

I have like the first 3 series of those...and the DC ones....and the Marvel Masterpiece sets...and so many more.

I guess I could take pictures. Some of them are holographic!!! (I’m assuming that was a ‘90s trend.)

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

burial posted:

I guess I could take pictures. Some of them are holographic!!! (I’m assuming that was a ‘90s trend.)

It wouldn't be 90's stuff without a holographic card or cover.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Croccers posted:

My little brother was huge into Micro Machines. We’ve got a 16 drawer tackle box chuck full of the little guys. My nephews love them and steal them bit by bit. That’s where the real value is. Something so cool and old your 4 and 6 year old nephews want them.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

enigmahfc posted:

Same. My friends and I would trade them at recess. You keep them so that you can explain and prove to your adult friends acquaintances that Hulk has level 7 strength stat but The Thing is only 6.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Croatoan posted:

And that's when I learned "collectable" meant "complete poo poo".

Since we're on both that topic and squirrel girl

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Croatoan posted:

Oh man I forgot how 90's the special edition comic covers were. I still have a Jim Lee signed Wildcats #3 gold cover that I thought was gonna be worth a retirement. Turns out the New Mutants #98 I have is actually worth serious cash though. Also, LOL at my friends who all went out and bought like 10 copies of Spawn #1 because they'd be worth just so much money. My dudes, they're printing millions of these things, it's all crap.

I've got the first 24 issues of Spawn. Original printing. Bagged and boarded. They were worth several hundred dollars in the mid '90s per Wizard. Now, they're probably not worth the box that they're stored in.

But hey, I have a chromium cover first printing of Bloodshot #1. I bet that's worth millions now. I even have the chromium edition of XO Manowar #0. I should just retire now.

Comics got all kind of weird in the '90s.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

The wise investment strategy of hoping everyone else's mom throws out their comics before yours does.

I still have my copy of Darkhawk #3. Do u? :smug:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I worked in a small UK comic book and collectibles shop '95 - '97 and it really was the weirdest time for comics overall. Image was somehow massive thanks to books which were all Jim Lee art clones making outrageously fit women in figure hugging spandex, or Rob Liefeld clones making muscles in pouches. The Marvel line had the Spider-Man books being poo poo up in the Clone Saga which everyone hated, and they had like 500 X-Men titles which post-Claremont were incredibly juvenile, with a very manga art style, and all the mutants sat around in their costumes all the time so the younger audience they were now pitched at would recognise them when they weren't punching someone.

The whole "everything is collectible" got so weird. So many "bad girl" books, so many variant covers, so many number 1 issues. And everyone got sucked into it.

When it came to merch, that was even more pathetic. On the back of Star Wars Special Editions (which were legit exciting before we found out these adulterated versions were to become the canon cuts, and the originals would be withdrawn from sale) they released new Star Wars figures, the Power of the Force line. You'll remember it as the ones where everyone was now a bodybuilder. Of course they didn't produce the figures in equal numbers, the Leia figure was only one per box. All the local scalpers would descend on Toys-R-Us on delivery day and buy up all the limited number figures so they could trade them in with us at a profit, so any kid who just wanted to, you know, have the figure to play with, suddenly had to pay 17 quid for Leia because the adults could get to them first.

And Toy Story came out then. A movie about the tragedy of passing youth, of putting aside childish things, of toys that no longer get played with. Meanwhile we had collectors, utterly missing the point of the film, coming in to buy Mint in Box Buzz Lightyear figures that would never be removed from the packaging, which they would take home and store in the attic because it'll be worth money some day.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

mostlygray posted:

I've got the first 24 issues of Spawn. Original printing. Bagged and boarded. They were worth several hundred dollars in the mid '90s per Wizard. Now, they're probably not worth the box that they're stored in.

But hey, I have a chromium cover first printing of Bloodshot #1. I bet that's worth millions now. I even have the chromium edition of XO Manowar #0. I should just retire now.

Comics got all kind of weird in the '90s.

I had the first however many issues of Spawn too. They did not survive the hyper-religious household in which I was raised and I’m pretty sad about that. I’d just like to read them again, but I don’t have the scratch to simply go buy more, however cheap they may now be.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Parkingtigers posted:

I worked in a small UK comic book and collectibles shop '95 - '97 and it really was the weirdest time for comics overall. Image was somehow massive thanks to books which were all Jim Lee art clones making outrageously fit women in figure hugging spandex, or Rob Liefeld clones making muscles in pouches. The Marvel line had the Spider-Man books being poo poo up in the Clone Saga which everyone hated, and they had like 500 X-Men titles which post-Claremont were incredibly juvenile, with a very manga art style, and all the mutants sat around in their costumes all the time so the younger audience they were now pitched at would recognise them when they weren't punching someone.

The whole "everything is collectible" got so weird. So many "bad girl" books, so many variant covers, so many number 1 issues. And everyone got sucked into it.

When it came to merch, that was even more pathetic. On the back of Star Wars Special Editions (which were legit exciting before we found out these adulterated versions were to become the canon cuts, and the originals would be withdrawn from sale) they released new Star Wars figures, the Power of the Force line. You'll remember it as the ones where everyone was now a bodybuilder. Of course they didn't produce the figures in equal numbers, the Leia figure was only one per box. All the local scalpers would descend on Toys-R-Us on delivery day and buy up all the limited number figures so they could trade them in with us at a profit, so any kid who just wanted to, you know, have the figure to play with, suddenly had to pay 17 quid for Leia because the adults could get to them first.

And Toy Story came out then. A movie about the tragedy of passing youth, of putting aside childish things, of toys that no longer get played with. Meanwhile we had collectors, utterly missing the point of the film, coming in to buy Mint in Box Buzz Lightyear figures that would never be removed from the packaging, which they would take home and store in the attic because it'll be worth money some day.

I think EVERYONE got the message with Toy Story 3 though :shepface:.

:qq:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

FilthyImp posted:

Perfect example is the SpiderGwen issue of (Spiderverse??). What looks like a one-off turns into a huge character and suddenly the thing you picked up because of an event is like $75.00

I'll throw out an a similar example with a more worthless tie-in: What If...? #105. First appearance Mayday Parker/Spider-Girl.

What If...? comics were pretty much fanfic and were pretty much ignored almost instantly as disposable, one-off stories that you bought because you liked A character or A storyline and you wanted to see them do something way different with it.

That one not only went up in value, but they pretty much built an entire universe around her character's concept about 20 years ago and people still like that character.

mostlygray posted:

Man talking about comics dropping in value massively and rapidly, I found a copy of Darker Image #-whatever in the late 90s in discount grab bag bundle in a druge store for like 50c. I had a Wizard from a few years earlier listing it as worth a LOT of money. Then I found a more current Overstreet guide a few months later and discovered it ain't worth jack.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Cynical collectible cash grab bullshit is so 90s. Comics, beanie babies, cards...My goodness was there so much of it. While failing to ignore that the old collectibles are valuable because they weren't even all that common when they were made.

I have to admit, in the 90s I was trying to collect some of the anime/manga stuff from that period before anime really took off in the US. IN pretty large part because I thought this stuff was going to be the NEW rare comic collectible and this was maybe going to be a bit of a 'ground floor'. When this stuff starts becoming popular and you start getting more fans, there's going to a be a point where hard to find, out of production or early edition stuff will become valuble. Sort of like how vintage Robotech and Transformers and Voltron stuff were even in the 90s starting to become very sought after, the Star Wars toys were going through a resurgence, etc.

For a very short period of time, it almost was. I specifically remember some of the US Sailor Moon stuff hitting some really high bid values on eBay for a few years or so after its first US run ended and all that stuff stopped being made. The thing was the show was still getting reaired on different channels and finding some new audiences but there wasn't actually any retail merch for it, anymore (in the US at least), and maybe that was driving up the value. I think most of that same also dropped in value just as rapidly, too.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 07:15 on Jul 13, 2018

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

JediTalentAgent posted:

The thing was the show was still getting reaired on different channels and finding some new audiences but there wasn't actually any retail merch for it, anymore (in the US at least), and maybe that was driving up the value. I think most of that same also dropped in value just as rapidly, too.
If you were lucky, your weirdo local comic shop carried collectibles and you could get non-junk versions of toys (like the little keychain dolls or plushies).
The value probably dropped when US consumers started finding the Japanese equivalents weren't as cheaply made.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

FilthyImp posted:

If you were lucky, your weirdo local comic shop carried collectibles and you could get non-junk versions of toys (like the little keychain dolls or plushies).
The value probably dropped when US consumers started finding the Japanese equivalents weren't as cheaply made.

That's probably a huge part of it, too. Also, the variety of stuff was likely better. But in any case, I'm shocked to poo poo when I go to a B&N store and see they not only have such a huge anime collectible section now But Sailor Moon makes up a big part of it. I had just assumed the fandom had long passed that show by like so many other once-big anime properties of the 80s/90s as other content eventually took its place.

I'm pretty sure, though, I've heard a lot of women in their Mid 20s-mid 30s in anime fandom specifically cite exposure Sailor Moon's on-off US releases as THE show that got them into anime in the first place.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 07:43 on Jul 13, 2018

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I really cant understate how terrible the U.S. figs were. They were like cheaper barbies with terrible hair.
The collectibles were slightly better. No idea why the drat Moon wand had a pink crystal instead of the famed millennium silver crystal that was so important to the first season tho.

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm pretty sure, though, I've heard a lot of women in their Mid 20s-mid 30s in anime fandom specifically cite exposure Sailor Moon's on-off US releases as THE show that got them into anime in the first place.
It's sad to me that I wont get to hear that original dub anymore.

The FigArts line is surprisingly represented at B&N (the articulated and detailed figures of Sailor Moon and DBZ) and has been for a while now.

The revival of merch is partially due to Sailor Moon Crystal, which was a redo of the series with modern animation/coloring, a streamlined plot and designs closer to the manga originals, but every weird japanese novelty store I go to has tons of Moon stuff anyway.

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 07:59 on Jul 13, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Parkingtigers posted:

Years ago, there was a line of Simpsons tie-in books called "The Simpsons Library of Wisdom" and my favourite was "Comic Book Guy's Guide to Pop Culture". It had a section on action figures which I think was the perfect encapsulation of the "fanatic toy collector" mindset. Aside from suggesting that Serious Collectors should just snatch toys off kids in toyshops (because who'll believe that an adult stole toys from a kid!?) it explained how you should buy five of every item: one to open; one to display; one to trade; one to customise; and one to put away as "an investment".

JediTalentAgent posted:

Either that or Gundam Wing. :v:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I got a chrome and silver Buzz Lightyear with an actual working radio button instead of just stickers, it was rad as gently caress. Peep this bad boy

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I remember in the 90s for Christmas one year I got all the first series of Spawn figures plus the Spawn Alley playset. They were opened and played with because I was a kid and that's what you do with toys.

The other adults my parents knew gave them the "You just ruined his college fund" speech.

And on the reverse side of the coin my fiancees mom would buy her and her sisters things and go "and now this is going in storage so you can sell it for a lot of money later"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_TK9OXTyPY

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Len posted:

I remember in the 90s for Christmas one year I got all the first series of Spawn figures plus the Spawn Alley playset. They were opened and played with because I was a kid and that's what you do with toys.

We could not stop making jokes about how Spawns weapon was a board with a nail in it.

Look out, he's got a board with a nail in it!

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Morphine is so strange in that they had this era of strange success reflected in media of the time but have since almost completely faded from popular memory. Its a massive shame too as they were just an amazing band all the way untill Sandman's death.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nutsngum posted:

Morphine is so strange in that they had this era of strange success reflected in media of the time but have since almost completely faded from popular memory. Its a massive shame too as they were just an amazing band all the way untill Sandman's death.

I first heard of them I think because some old Flash animation on Newgrounds used "The Night", years after Sandman's death. The only other place I've ever heard Morphine was that same song playing in the bar of the Lambertville House.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
And they're all over David O. Russell's first film.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

wesleywillis posted:

Do you have the fine pewter portraits of General Apathy and Major Boredom?

EDIT:
this jersey rules and if I ever had $300 I didn't know what to do with I would buy it from Mitchell and Ness

ElwoodCuse has a new favorite as of 06:41 on Jul 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The dirty secret of the Toronto Raptors is the name was already chosen before the voting was done. Also, I hate that name, all it says is "Jurassic Park was really popular" and nothing about Toronto itself.

Our basketball team should be called the Raccoons.