Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Don Dongington posted:

Also forced more than 10 MPs to not read the forms they were filling in properly and actually do due diligence.

The fiends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Senor Tron posted:

In genuinely surprising news, the SA Liberal Govt is saying good things in regards to the Tesla trials currently going on as part of the proposal to set up a "virtual power plant" with panels on housing trust and low income homes.

https://reneweconomy.com.au/tesla-builds-case-250mw-virtual-power-plant-first-trial-success-63950/

BHP also support this and did a report on the virtual plant for the last government giving it full support. I'm sure it's because they've shifted into mining fabrication metals and moved out of geo coal to some extent. Not sure to what extent government support for Olympic Dam factors in.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Yes, that dastardly Scott Ludlam who wrote the constitution

I don’t read that image as laying blame on Ludlam :shrug:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
The image is from the Buzzfeed interview with Ludlam "One Year Later, Scott Ludlam Has Warned More Section 44 Dominoes Will Fall"

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

bigis posted:

Breast is best
:perfect:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Is there any publicly available evidence that David leonhelm is not an incel?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

I mean have you seen his face

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

He's got a long-term partner called Amanda Downes.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

That article posted:

Prior to the compulsory federal buyback, he'd kept the cherished weapons in his attic and "every now and then I would take them out and pat them ... It was a big thing not being allowed to have them any more. It was no solace to know I was getting paid money [to hand them back]. It was an insult. There I was, being presumed to be unsafe because some nutter had got himself hold of a semi-auto in Tasmania.”

:catstare:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Konomex posted:

The ABC is beaming radiation right at your head! Shut down the national broadcaster now.

*sings weird al to royals playing in supermarket*

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Girlfriend at other school, you wouldn't know her. Her phone is also broken so no photos.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Girlfriend at other school, you wouldn't know her. Her phone is also broken so no photos.

MY GIRLFRIEND

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
The best part of that Outsiders interview was when Ljenhdlm unironically called himself an alpha male.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Uh yup

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What is it?

Ah it's menopause. Probably similar for men around 51 since that's when you stop getting promoted and then scrap heaped at 55.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JBP posted:

What is it?

Menopause.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I prefer to read it just as "Opinion, the silent career killer for women"

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

What is it?

Ah it's men

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

The article below it on the front page is asking for the public to forgive Malcolm Turnbull.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Anidav posted:

The article below it on the front page is asking for the public to forgive Malcolm Turnbull.

Forgive him for anything specifically?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Well 50-55 is the accepted scrap heap age and yeah, men up top in the wizened top storeys will cut all sundry. I'm sure women get cut harder though.

Coolest thing is having a retirement age climbing ever higher while your window for making any progress professionally basically closes at 50.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Dude McAwesome posted:

Forgive him for anything specifically?

"he's not the messiah"

Malcolm Turnbull's remaking shows the challenge ahead is one between mere mortals

Slowly, ever slowly, Malcolm Turnbull is pulling together a travelling show that seeks to drag in the crowds east, west and from the island state in the south.

It's not the sort of task you'd have given to the old Malcolm; he was a brash, impatient, 100-miles-an-hour self-made man who'd repeatedly made the mistake of thinking everyone was either like him or would like to be like him.

No, this is the task best done by a different Malcolm, the one who's learnt, in painful, battering circumstance, the importance of seeing others' difference and acknowledging it, if not respecting it.

He's learnt that not everyone is as brilliant as he is, that they sometimes don't see the future as brightly as he does.

This is the Malcolm who now recognises that the Liberal base doesn't want re-educating at all but instead requires red meat to ensure it doesn't bay for his blood.

This is the Liberal base, whispering in the ears of his MPs, that needs succour, whether it be hard messaging about those inveterate lefties at the ABC or those horrible unions, or chucking some bones about migration levels and religious freedoms.

This is a more experienced Malcolm who doesn't talk about innovation and exciting times any more but one who's learning the language and instinct of the ordinary punter.

Punters aren't ordinarily enthused by the glories of turbine electricity generation. They just want lower power bills.

The old Malcolm's exhortations about innovation and exciting times have been replaced by these simpler messages.

But there's another thing that's happened in parallel with Malcolm Turnbull's political self-reckoning.

It's something that a couple of senior Labor figures have noted, with a slight sense of alarm: it's the public's recalibration of their expectations of the Prime Minister.

This is perhaps the most important aspect to the next election, which is now, more than ever, likely to be next year. To call an election this year would likely beckon defeat on current evidence.

Malcolm Turnbull came to the prime ministership with a messianic halo. His ratings were stratospheric, expectations very high. It was an impossible godly burden.

The Turnbull veneer lost its glean and then started buckling as the trade winds of office buffeted. Deals had to be done, options ruled out.

He then went into a tortuously long election, having already proved himself fallible. His election pitch proved off-key but scraped through, bruised and angry, mentally scarred by Mediscare, hateful of Bill Shorten.

He's not the Messiah, he's just another politician
The past 24 months have seen the slow remaking of Malcolm. The sweet exterior has soured to some. But he can't be everyone's favourite, he's learnt.

And this is where the public's recalibration came, in the assessment of senior Labor figures and Liberals alike.

He's just another politician, the public's decided. It's less of a challenge when competence, not greatness, is the bar.

In short, a lesser Malcolm is learning how he might win when he's not the Messiah.

The next election becomes a fight between two mere mortals.

One, Bill Shorten, who's had the advantage of long knowing his shortcomings, the other who's learning being universally loved ain't the winning game he thought it once was.

If Malcolm Turnbull is to have a political life beyond the next election, this factor may be more important that any others.

It's a factor that's playing on the minds of Labor MPs as they look at their man, who's long had a popularity challenge.

There's never been a better time to start delivering.

"I'm a practical person. I like to get things done," Mr Turnbull told the Queensland Media Club last week.

"I want to solve problems, and the problem is, right now, energy in Australia is too expensive. We've got to make sure we get it down, get prices down."

If he really did solve the mess that's bedevilled energy pricing, there'd have to be a political dividend, Cabinet ministers reckon.

He'd be seen as the prime minister who made power cheaper, for the first time in living memory.

As competition watchdog Rod Sims made clear, electricity prices could fall substantially, but only if a swathe of reforms were enacted, and even then it might be a year or so before the benefits were felt by consumers — another reason to think the election will be held later than sooner.

Holding seats out West is crucial for the Coalition
Of course the PM's got to navigate cannibalistic instincts inside his own party room too.

As for getting things done, the Government believes it's found a way of neutralising the antagonism out West when it comes to the GST.

To understand the importance of the GST deal to West Australians is to understand the psyche of the wonderful but different people that live on the other side of the Nullarbor.

They're prone to being resentful of their eastern state cousins. The GST crystallised that resentment into dollars and cents; something those in WA understand very well.

If the Coalition is to have a chance at the next election, it has to hold West Australian losses as close to zero as possible, a very tough ask in a post-boom period, especially when you're already holding 11 of the 16 seats.

Don't forget that the redistributions effectively leave the Government down a couple of seats even before the election campaign begins.

The Government has to gain seats, notionally at least, to hold government.

Labor's still favourite, there is no doubt. But there's also a sense inside the Government and the Labor Party that the contest has tightened in recent weeks, whatever happens in the July 28 by-elections.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Not to be a downer but I've gone from dead Mal to he's got a shot. Why do people keep coming back and rating him higher and higher in the satisfaction stakes? I'm not sure what is changing.

e: actually he took a +1 dissatisfaction in the last one, but it still looks like he has firmed up recently, which beggars belief.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Voters thing Mal is a good bloke surrounded by assholes. The victory path is Mal surrounding himself with 9ther Mal like figures in leather jackets but LNP doesn't have the star power.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

Not to be a downer but I've gone from dead Mal to AUSTRALIA NEEDS MALCOLM

You might as well just come out, mate.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

Well 50-55 is the accepted scrap heap age and yeah, men up top in the wizened top storeys will cut all sundry. I'm sure women get cut harder though.

Coolest thing is having a retirement age climbing ever higher while your window for making any progress professionally basically closes at 50.

oh i wasn't talking about careers

e: i was talking about murder

bell jar fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 16, 2018

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

Not to be a downer but I've gone from dead Mal to he's got a shot. Why do people keep coming back and rating him higher and higher in the satisfaction stakes? I'm not sure what is changing.

e: actually he took a +1 dissatisfaction in the last one, but it still looks like he has firmed up recently, which beggars belief.

Well yeah, because Bill Shorten can't hold a leftist policy to save his arse, and Albo is getting up there "admitting" the Liberals Stopped The Boats (which hasn't even happened, they still come), what is the point of preferring anyone else over Turnbull

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

starkebn posted:

I prefer to read it just as "Opinion, the silent career killer for women"

Yeah this was my reading which made me laugh

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I for one enjoy that nearly every poll posted in the last few weeks has had the greens gaining ground in the primary vote but not one person has even commented on it because something something dead to us all.

RIP Scotty

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

1% margin of error swings only matter if you're working at a paper shilling for the LNP.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Tokamak posted:

1% margin of error swings only matter if you're working at a paper shilling for the LNP.

But Anidav wasn't noticeably excited either??

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Don Dongington posted:

I for one enjoy that nearly every poll posted in the last few weeks has had the greens gaining ground in the primary vote but not one person has even commented on it because something something dead to us all.

RIP Scotty

Yesterday while out doorknocking somebody told me the greens aren't who they say they are and insteslad say one thing then do another.

Unlike all those upstanding members of the ALP and LNP. :|

There was also a guy who said he didn't like our "sexual agenda". I'm genuinely curious what he meant by that but the person I was with very sensibly dragged me away before I could ask.

It's pretty irritating that the greens have a host of sensible, evidence based policy that most people could get behind only for Average Voter to go for one of the mainstream or lunatic fringe parties because of this pervasive meme the greens are crazy hippies who want to ban everything in the name of the environment.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Sexual Agenda 21.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

hooman posted:

Sexual Agenda 21.

No joke there was a doorknocking list I saw where one of the respondents mentioned agenda 21.

I worked with a guy who believed in Agenda 21 conspiracies. No surprises he was also against fluoridated water and vaccinations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

You might as well just come out, mate.

I hate Malcolm Turnbull. I'm interested in what's actually happening.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

froglet posted:

No joke there was a doorknocking list I saw where one of the respondents mentioned agenda 21.

I worked with a guy who believed in Agenda 21 conspiracies. No surprises he was also against fluoridated water and vaccinations.

gently caress whatever Agenda 21 is supposed to achieve, it's gotta be better than leaving poo poo up to Trump, May and Turnbull.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

froglet posted:

When I went doorknocking, a stoned libertarian answered the door and started yelling about MEN WITH GUNS forcing people into healthcare. And taxes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Geez, I doorknock regularly and all I get is "what issues are important to you?" "I dunno, traffic?"

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Just tell libertarians that you're pro men with guns being elected versus men with guns being self electing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2018-07-16/my-health-record-experts-say-its-safe-privacy-concerns-remain/9981658

quote:

From today, people who do not want their medical records stored on the national electronic database will have three months to opt out.
Steve Hambleton from the Australian Digital Health Agency (ADHA) said after October 15, there would be a month of auditing who was in and who was out.
"If you haven't deliberately opted out by the end of 2018, you will have a My Health Record," Dr Hambleton said.
As part of My Health Record, patients and doctors can upload medical information such as prescriptions, allergies and medical summaries to their record, and users can decide what is there and who can see it.
"Patients control access to the record, so they can switch off their entire record and make it only available using a pin code, or use that process with individual documents," Dr Hambleton said.
Patients can get an SMS or email anytime someone new accesses their record — but it is up to individuals to set up those privacy and access settings.
Robert Merkel, a software engineering lecturer at Monash University, said he was worried the safeguards were not in place by default.
"I am concerned that most people simply aren't going to be aware of those privacy controls," Dr Merkel said.

• Locked thread