Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
One of my PRs was just rejected because I named a boolean method "shouldOuputExtraFields" instead of "isOutputExtraFields" and when I said it was ugly and made no sense, the reasoning I got was "It may not seem grammatically unless you read it as "is the flag outputExtraFields set to true" which is fine." This is a configuration object being fed to another object upon instantiation and used to define behavior of the created object. I suspect the real problem is that it'll break another internal API and nobody wants to make the change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah i was reading that aliens thing and I kept wondering what kind of crap coding environment are they in that doesn't check and flag their spelling.

UnrealScript!

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Good Will Hrunting posted:

One of my PRs was just rejected because I named a boolean method "shouldOuputExtraFields" instead of "isOutputExtraFields" and when I said it was ugly and made no sense, the reasoning I got was "It may not seem grammatically unless you read it as "is the flag outputExtraFields set to true" which is fine." This is a configuration object being fed to another object upon instantiation and used to define behavior of the created object. I suspect the real problem is that it'll break another internal API and nobody wants to make the change.

I can't read that post and both those names are garbage

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Added to thingsihopeidonthavetouse.txt.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Coffee Mugshot posted:

I can't read that post and both those names are garbage

Our entire codebase is garbage and just the most absurd dependency graph with config objects passed around like this in the most disgusting way. I don't know how to tell the caller that's using this config object to output extra fields any other way, though, and I have to.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Added to thingsihopeidonthavetouse.txt.

good news, they no longer support unrealscript in ue4

bad news they replaced it with this

https://twitter.com/jabelsjabels/status/1001647212269572098?lang=en-gb

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Our entire codebase is garbage and just the most absurd dependency graph with config objects passed around like this in the most disgusting way. I don't know how to tell the caller that's using this config object to output extra fields any other way, though, and I have to.

OuputExtraFieldsYn :cmon:

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:
isShouldOuputExtraFieldsFlagSetToTrue

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Munkeymon posted:

OuputExtraFieldsYn :cmon:

dwazegek posted:

isShouldOuputExtraFieldsFlagSetToTrue

Now I have a decision to make. Serious response: I'm going to change it to `is` and go back in like 2 weeks and think "why.. the gently caress.. did someone name it that.. what, I did this? .. why?" and waste time digging up the PR.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
shouldOutputExtraFields is a fine name for a bad concept

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

rjmccall posted:

I like how there is doubt in the function name.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

rjmccall posted:

Actually yes.
Make it outputMode and value be an enum of possible output modes. Or callbackGetExtraOutputFields as a function that returns which fields to add.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

repiv posted:

good news, they no longer support unrealscript in ue4

bad news they replaced it with this

https://twitter.com/jabelsjabels/status/1001647212269572098?lang=en-gb

Funny how that looks just like a disassembler during reverse engineering. Except more chaotic.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

nielsm posted:

Funny how that looks just like a disassembler during reverse engineering. Except more chaotic.

https://cdn.rawgit.com/Bluenaxela/c...S_Annotated.svg

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

outputsExtraFields

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
We aren't diverging from the `is` prefix on everything since we'd have to deploy our other apps.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Reflection is the devil and anything you can do to break it is good

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
UnrealScript was designed to never crash, because Dr. Sweeney PhD figured out that the number one cause of crashes was null pointers. The goal was to allow people to download random UnrealScript files from servers to add game modes.

A laudable goal, but it means that countless games have shipped bugs caused by small typos just like this. This is not the first bug of this sort I'm aware of, nor even the tenth.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

We aren't diverging from the `is` prefix on everything since we'd have to deploy our other apps.

The rare third variant, Is Hungarian.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

comedyblissoption posted:

I'm more lamenting that standard industry practice is to just use config files w/ no sanity checking whatsoever and so there's generally no standard off-the-shelf stuff. The article talking about the Aliens issue even said civ VI had a big launch problem w/ their AI b/c of a typo or whatever.

The tooling is hardly the problem. As a former game developer, the problem is that game developers are categorically pretty bad. If you gave them Haskell they'd run it with type mismatches turned into runtime warnings and runtime warnings disabled. I have made two #1 store-rated games, and posted many stories in this thrParse error: syntax error, unexpected '::' (T_PAAMAYIM_NEKUDOTAYIM) in Command line code on line 1

xtal fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 17, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

xtal posted:

The tooling is hardly the problem. As a former game developer, the problem is that game developers are categorically pretty bad. If you gave them Haskell they'd run it with type mismatches turned into runtime warnings and runtime warnings disabled. I have made two #1 store-rated games, and posted many stories in this thrParse error: syntax error, unexpected '::' (T_PAAMAYIM_NEKUDOTAYIM) in Command line code on line 1

Wait, when did PHP decide to use Hebrew for that?! :psyduck:

Edit: I didn't realize that a couple of Israelis took over the project since v3. I feel stupid, they're both from my alma mater, although a few classes before me.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 17, 2018

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

xtal posted:

The tooling is hardly the problem. As a former game developer, the problem is that game developers are categorically pretty bad. If you gave them Haskell they'd run it with type mismatches turned into runtime warnings and runtime warnings disabled.

no? game developers just resist random poo poo that won't help them, like people saying "port your game engine to rust" and not listening when we carefully explain why that's not an option for us.

xtal posted:

I have made two #1 store-rated games

oh. if all you've made is mobile poo poo of course you don't know how real game development is, because android & ios are hellholes to develop for. not trying to gatekeep, but the console sdks are massively more useful than whatever garbo those guys crank out. android still doesn't have a basic frame capture tool because google keeps rewriting it and launching betas that don't work

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I can't tell if we're supposed to make fun of you for misspelling output or not

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Wait, when did PHP decide to use Hebrew for that?! :psyduck:

Like g-d: from the beginning.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Foxfire_ posted:

I can't tell if we're supposed to make fun of you for misspelling output or not

I meticulously proof read my prs but I typed that post on the shitter

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Suspicious Dish posted:

oh. if all you've made is mobile poo poo of course you don't know how real game development is

Newsflash: if you develop games, you're a real game developer. The imaginary game developers are the ones that never actually produce anything.

You can argue about whether different types of game development are harder or easier or otherwise different, but your chosen field is no more legitimate than any other.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
all I'm saying is don't judge an entire field for lovely tools if all you've used are the lovely tools made by an ad company and the company whose idea of a good developer experience is XCode

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
You have previously informed us that the tools made by console developers are also all crap except for maybe one generation of each, so yeah, you are mostly just gatekeeping here.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Newsflash: if you develop games, you're a real game developer. The imaginary game developers are the ones that never actually produce anything.

The ones that never produce anything are some of the realest ones there are!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

rjmccall posted:

You have previously informed us that the tools made by console developers are also all crap except for maybe one generation of each, so yeah, you are mostly just gatekeeping here.

i'm mostly talking about profilers, frame debuggers, stuff like that. the compilers which they farmed out to Green Hill Software, MetroWerks, sure, that stuff isn't great (though ndk-gcc ain't great either) but the stuff by SN-Systems and Microsoft are fantastic.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

CPColin posted:

The ones that never produce anything are some of the realest ones there are!

finally, some respect

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

UnrealScript was designed to never crash, because Dr. Sweeney PhD figured out that the number one cause of crashes was null pointers. The goal was to allow people to download random UnrealScript files from servers to add game modes.

The solution to this is a language without nullable types, not ON ERROR RESUME NEXT :psyduck:

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You can argue about whether different types of game development are harder or easier or otherwise different, but your chosen field is no more legitimate than any other.

Let's move the goalpost to "if you get paid to develop games, you're a real game developer" because if releasing software is the criteria for being a developer, most of my career has been spent not being a developer.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

xtal posted:

Story checks out. The place where I worked hired a guy as a graphic designer who wormed his way onto our development team in the early days before leaving to run his own games company and eventually working at Zynga. Dude wrote a function I tried to kill but was overruled. Seven years later: it was on the front page of the daily wtf. :sigh: Should've fought harder.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

From the official, blue-checkmarked php account:

https://twitter.com/official_php/status/1019024916811866113

Backup screenshot

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

That's not a horror, that's honesty!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Let's move the goalpost to "if you get paid to develop games, you're a real game developer" because if releasing software is the criteria for being a developer, most of my career has been spent not being a developer.

Man, what do you have against indie game devs? :(

More seriously, that's where the professional/amateur split is. Professionals do it for a living, amateurs don't. Whether that connotes any particular degree of skill to either side depends in large part on how cynical you are.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

rjmccall posted:

In fairness I was rudely gatekeeping as well. I don't think game developers are inherently bad but it seems to me that they see code as more of an art than science. Which is fair for their use case, I guess.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

"This paper proposes a web_view facility for the C++ standard library."

:shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Suspicious Dish posted:

no? game developers just resist random poo poo that won't help them, like people saying "port your game engine to rust" and not listening when we carefully explain why that's not an option for us.

Just curious, are there reasons beyond console SDKs and time investment, or is there some fundamental problems with Rust that make it a subpar option for games?