Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Your Computer posted:

I'm starting to wonder if I should do something other than Thief on Tressa. Her "Sorry!" when stealing items is very adorbs but it just feels sad to have her only utility be to give away SP and BP to other characters, I miss dealing damage with her.

What other job would be a good fit for her?

Tressa is a jack of all trades statwise so she tries her best with whatever you assign her.

Tressa!Thief - merchant and thief have good synergy as a support pairing
Tressa!Cleric - cleric only cares about EDEF so she's pure support

though her best pairing is exclusive to her
[hidden subjob]
Tressa!Runelord - Runelord has a self buff that causes other self buffs to be shared with the party. She can share Sidestep to give infinite duration physical evasion for 1-4 attacks or use Rest as a 0 SP cost Esunaga.
also she gets little valkyrie wings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Going in on this near as damnit 100% blind, idk what character to pick first so I’m already in huge trouble :saddowns:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ciaphas posted:

Going in on this near as damnit 100% blind, idk what character to pick first so I’m already in huge trouble :saddowns:

Good news there's only one wrong answer (Ophelia).

Someone will probably disagree with me but her opening basically made me not want to use her ever.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I just want to take a moment to gush about something that OT has that I always look for in games and hasn't been discussed too much in this thread yet: A KICKASS AWESOME SOUNDTRACK!

I love each and every town theme and I was so stoked when I walked outside the safe areas and there was fresh new battle music.

Another neat thing: during the cutscene right before a boss battle, the music will blend into the boss battle music with a short track that is unique to each character (i think? i'm pretty sure theres one for each). Tressas one is probably my favourite and has been stuck in my head all morning.

edit: according to youtube these tracks are called "For _____" on the OST, with the blank being each characters mantra e.g. For Light, For Freedom etc

Oxygen Deficiency fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 16, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yeah the music is incredible.

I also did a doubletake the first time I saw water because it was like "oh right this is a modern console not a SNES"

you'd think the voice acting would remind me but nope

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Ciaphas posted:

do what I did

pick tressa, feed her every single stat booster, become death, destroyer of wallets

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gyoru posted:

Tressa is a jack of all trades statwise so she tries her best with whatever you assign her.

Tressa!Thief - merchant and thief have good synergy as a support pairing
Tressa!Cleric - cleric only cares about EDEF so she's pure support

though her best pairing is exclusive to her
[hidden subjob]
Tressa!Runelord - Runelord has a self buff that causes other self buffs to be shared with the party. She can share Sidestep to give infinite duration physical evasion for 1-4 attacks or use Rest as a 0 SP cost Esunaga.
also she gets little valkyrie wings
poo poo I clicked the spoiler

on the plus side I already knew about that job and was planning to give it to Tressa :toot:

e: how early can I realistically get it? I'm only now starting on the chapter 2's and my party is between 20 and 25

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I just want to take a moment to gush about something that OT has that I always look for in games and hasn't been discussed too much in this thread yet: A KICKASS AWESOME SOUNDTRACK!
The music so so good :swoon:

Several of the tracks remind me a lot of Bravely Default's music to the point where I could swear it was Revo composing them but I guess this composer is just very similar. Which is fine by me because the music is so good :woop:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 16, 2018

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I picked Cyrus because I like mages and turns out his talent paired with his variety of magic makes him really really good for breaking enemies.

Oh and good news, I found that Tressa boss battle thing I was talking about so you can hear it too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYlU2jh4S_4

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

on the plus side I already knew about that job and was planning to give it to Tressa :toot:

e: how early can I realistically get it? I'm only now starting on the chapter 2's and my party is between 20 and 25

The music so so good :swoon:

Several of the tracks remind me a lot of Bravely Default's music to the point where I could swear it was Revo composing them but I guess this composer is just very similar. Which is fine by me because the music is so good :woop:

My team is in their low 40s and I'm bashing my head against a different subclass boss and it seems possible but extremely difficult. My best strategy is just survive until poison mills him but he has some crazy powerful status effects.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

fadam posted:

Other than Support skills, how can I increase magic damage? Is there a shop that sells Staves? Do Staves even increase damage?

Right now it feels like my Warrior has outscaled the rest of my teN in terms of damage, but everyone's gear is pretty lovely.

Staves and arcane/magnus/elemental/rune type gear all increase ele atk. Right now on Cyrus I have a hat and robe that both give a sizeable ele atk boost, and a +100 ele atk accessory, all of which you can buy/steal from NPCs in different towns. Plus a wizard staff (found one in a chest in a high level zone I explored, and another I stole from an npc) which gives +300 ele atk.

If you don't want to save scum to steal the wizard staff from its npc (or the rune glaive, which has even more ele atk) you can find a wizard staff in a purple chest in the shrine of the archmagus and if you have the random encounter reduction passive, reaching it isn't too bad, and you can fast travel out once you grab it (or any other treasure you manage to reach in areas far outside your level, like the viper dagger in the ruins outside of the southernmost town in the desert (I forget its name, it's south of Wellspring).

With over 700 ele atk, my Cyrus does a brutal amount of damage. The only thing that comes close is Therion using steal hp when wielding my viper dagger since he's around 650atk with it (you can get a +50 atk accessory from the same NPC with the +100 ele attack one). He used abide and then proceeded to deal 4700 x2 damage to the boss of Olberic's ch2 story (it was guard break'd and defense downed too though).

ChrisBTY posted:

So. How many of us are doing what I'm doing and using the low encounter and improved escape chance passives and raiding dungeons >20 levels higher than our current level?

I don't have the improved escape chance but I do have increased chance to strike first and enemies can't surprise you in addition to encounter reduction.

Verisimilidude posted:

This game is good but has me hopeful that OT2 will have a more cohesive story with more character interaction. I know that would be difficult, but I hope they figure it out. For me the game feels really hollow story-wise. I love the characters I have, but I'm currently trying to get all 8 characters and that means spending several hours without hearing the majority of the characters speak since their stories aren't being continued.

One way they could do it is to require specific characters for later chapters. Cyrus for Therion's chapter 2 or Cyrus for Olberic's, for example. Then when you get to chapter 3 you'll have a lot more characters (because you needed them for the chapter 2 stories) and by the end you'd have everyone for the final chapters.

For example:

For Therion's ch2 you'd need to also have Cyrus.
To start Therion's ch3 you'd need to finish Ch2 for both him and Cyrus.
Cyrus's chapter 2 would require having Ophilia in your party.

So when you start Therion ch3, you'd have Cyrus and Ophilia at a minimum. You'd need to finish ch3 for each before doing Therion's ch4.

Only downside is that it would take the game from completely open to semi-open, though even in the current setup I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to do everyone's chapters. :shrug:

acumen posted:

SP stops being an issue pretty quickly at which point Therion is just there to steal things in towns and be a BP battery

Also anyone have any tips for the sorceror boss? I know I'm under levelled at 40 but he seems pretty solvable. Reflect magic doesn't seem to work though.

Therion still does solid (single target) damage with his HP and SP steal abilities, and the former means you have one less person to worry about healing. Debuffs are pretty powerful in this too. Using BP items (or share BP from others) would let you keep an enemy debuffed pretty much permanently unless some bosses/enemies get a debuff cleanse skill.

acumen posted:

My team is in their low 40s and I'm bashing my head against a different subclass boss and it seems possible but extremely difficult. My best strategy is just survive until poison mills him but he has some crazy powerful status effects.

Apothecary has an ability that removes debuffs and grants debuff immunity. I don't know what boss you're fighting but if their biggest threat is debuffs, Alfyn and someone with Apothecary as their subclass might make life a lot easier. Apothecary also gets a passive (at 6 skills, I think?) that gives them resistance to most/all aliments. Not sure just how good it is though.

There's also accessories that give aliment immunity but I've only seen single aliment immunity ones so far and only one of each.

I'm really tempted to go back to the Archmagus shrine and try to cheese my way to victory but it'd rely on being able to reflect/nullify their attacks (why also consistently applying poison, probably) and also have them not summon adds like I've seen some other bosses do. Also might rely on Tressa spending a couple hundred thousand gold hiring the best summon she has because the first time I fought that boss I tried it and hit for about 9600 damage, without boosting damage at all. Though considering how much it cost, and that you get about 2.5-3k from level 50 encounters, I'd certainly hope it does crazy damage.

...is there a 9999 damage hardcap in this?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

So there's no real reason to put your character into Subclasses if you have no interest in their active skills right? Like I could keep a character as whatever until I get ~2k JP, then briefly swap to Dancer and buy three skills to get the MP regen passive, then swap back?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Evil Fluffy posted:

the last warrior passive lets you break the damage cap so probably

also I found this on Reddit if one of you weirdos wants to use it as an avatar

fadam posted:

So there's no real reason to put your character into Subclasses if you have no interest in their active skills right? Like I could keep a character as whatever until I get ~2k JP, then briefly swap to Dancer and buy three skills to get the MP regen passive, then swap back?

Equipping a subclass gives you an attribute bonus related to that class (Warrior will give increased HP, attack, and defense for example)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

theshim posted:

do what I did

pick tressa, feed her every single stat booster, become death, destroyer of wallets

Either her or Cyrus, I figure, 'cos mages are Good. I'll pick it out later

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

fadam posted:

Yeah you can do that

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

WHAT THE gently caress ARE THEY FEEDING OMAR OMG

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

At what point can you access subclasses? I have 5/8 characters so far, can I already do that?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Whelp! Got Sorcerer now. It and Runelord means I finally have all the things I really wanted. On to completing the rest of the Chapter 2s.

Speaking of, god drat, Alfyn's chapter... from poisonous snakes to a corrupt conman... or conwoman in this case.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

fadam posted:

You do get a stats buff from subjobs as well (plus weapon access), so active skills are not the only reason, but yeah, there is no reason to switch classes to grind, which is great.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

I'm sure this question has been asked before but looking through the past few pages isn't turning up anything so here goes: can someone explain how the 8 character stories interact, and if there is anything that requires multiple playthroughs to see? Is it 8 different personal plots with no true ending, and do the plots intersect at all?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Oooh, I'm tempted, but I can't think of a good subtitle to go with it.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

WHAT THE gently caress ARE THEY FEEDING OMAR OMG

Lol ikr. He was my first chapter 2 boss that I foolishly faced at low levels. I was already having enough trouble about 40 minutes into the fight and then he SUMMONS MORE SOLDIERS ARGFSKXFLKSDF :argh:

Fun fight though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ChaosArgate posted:

Oooh, I'm tempted, but I can't think of a good subtitle to go with it.

Always looking for a bargain!

fadam posted:

Subclasses don't take away anything, so there is literally no reason not to take them.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

oath2order posted:

I'm sure this question has been asked before but looking through the past few pages isn't turning up anything so here goes: can someone explain how the 8 character stories interact, and if there is anything that requires multiple playthroughs to see? Is it 8 different personal plots with no true ending, and do the plots intersect at all?

You can't really miss anything in a playthrough, the stories don't really intersect, you can get all of the characters and see all of them

There are Tales style skits you can get during chapters where 2 characters interact if your party composition is right to trigger them, this is the only real "missable" content and also there only real story interaction aside from spoilers

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

someone awful. posted:

You can't really miss anything in a playthrough, the stories don't really intersect, you can get all of the characters and see all of them

There are Tales style skits you can get during chapters where 2 characters interact if your party composition is right to trigger them, this is the only real "missable" content and also there only real story interaction aside from spoilers

Ok, got it. That sounds cool.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

At what point can you access subclasses? I have 5/8 characters so far, can I already do that?

They're near the chapter 2 cities so it's theoretically doable but you also might get your butt kicked

There's no like, game mechanics roadblock stopping you from doing it though

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

There is, unless you equip the warrior's skill Surpassing Power, which lets you break it :getin:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Your Computer posted:

I actually stumbled across this exact boss when I was around level 35. It was a really tough fight, and took multiple attempts to figure out a workable strategy, but I was able to pull off a win. Alfyn's full party ailment cure concoction was a lifesaver though, I think it'd be a lot harder without him.

Protip: Make sure at least one person has immunity to both sleep and unconcious

(For reference, the recommended level for the area is 50)

Snake Maze fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 16, 2018

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I feel like I'm the only one who really didn't like Primrose's chapter 1. :sigh: The overarching story about getting revenge on the people who murdered her father is interesting, but the sexual abuse stuff really felt kind of... not fine. I just feel like JRPGs might not be the right format for that sort of stuff.

I know some people who are skipping the whole game because of it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Ciaphas posted:

Either her or Cyrus, I figure, 'cos mages are Good. I'll pick it out later
Cyrus is also fantastic. And they're right next to each other, so you can immediately pick up whichever one you don't start with!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Lol ikr. He was my first chapter 2 boss that I foolishly faced at low levels. I was already having enough trouble about 40 minutes into the fight and then he SUMMONS MORE SOLDIERS ARGFSKXFLKSDF :argh:

Fun fight though.

I managed to keep him stun locked after I got my x2 JP dance off (wow it was not worth it lol). I'm more laughing at a human enemy literally taking up half the goddamn screen. The guy talking about the weird giant butler is going to have a loving heart attack when he sees Omar lmao

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

someone awful. posted:

They're near the chapter 2 cities so it's theoretically doable but you also might get your butt kicked

There's no like, game mechanics roadblock stopping you from doing it though

I didn't realize this until I was almost done with the Chapter 1s, but for the most part you'll only get into 1 or 2 fights along the way with the reduced encounter rate ability. I didn't know where they were other than the vague above spoiler, and I did it without any real trouble even having to poke around a little to find it. I did have to look at a map online to figure out where the last job was, but it still wasn't too hard to get to.

What's a good level to start tackling Chapter 2? I have Therion and H'aanit around level 21 but everyone else is still in the mid to high teens. There was an interesting difficulty curve in the Chapter 1s -- the first one was pretty easy, the next two or three were surprisingly difficult, and then it got easy again. I remember the third or fourth boss fight being somewhat difficult and then whoops, the boss just died after the first round he was Broken. It felt like they scaled it for a while, but by the time I was getting the back half of the characters I'd outleveled the scaling.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

It's painful to not have Cyrus in the party at this stage not only for his screenwide 3 elements of magic almost always hitting a weakness, but because I loving love the Scrutinize function and want to learn about EVERY NPC. I don't have Alfric yet but I'm on Tressa's story.

I have Ophelia in my party but kind of don't want to swap out H'annit/Primrose/Cyrus just because I kind of feel like Ophelia is....weak? Besides the holy ray and heal she has to rely on lame stave attacks and she eats up so much SP. Even her Revive kind of blows since it brings people back at just 1 HP, worse than an Olive, and at 50 SP it seemed like a scam to learn it. Is anyone else thinking she's the weak link of the 8?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Bongo Bill posted:

I know some people who are skipping the whole game because of it.

Given that it is a sensitive topic for people I don't blame them. Chapter 2 doesn't really pump the brakes either.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Summon seems strong?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

DLC Inc posted:

It's painful to not have Cyrus in the party at this stage not only for his screenwide 3 elements of magic almost always hitting a weakness, but because I loving love the Scrutinize function and want to learn about EVERY NPC. I don't have Alfric yet but I'm on Tressa's story.

I have Ophelia in my party but kind of don't want to swap out H'annit/Primrose/Cyrus just because I kind of feel like Ophelia is....weak? Besides the holy ray and heal she has to rely on lame stave attacks and she eats up so much SP. Even her Revive kind of blows since it brings people back at just 1 HP, worse than an Olive, and at 50 SP it seemed like a scam to learn it. Is anyone else thinking she's the weak link of the 8?

I have seen no perks to Ophelia. She's just outright trash.

In a game of fun and amazing perks she got totally left out and is just a dumpster fire in my experience

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

DLC Inc posted:

I went with Op as my "main" and things have gone pretty smoothly for me. Around level 30 at the moment and SP hasn't really been an issue, especially with being able to boost her light heal for 500-700 for 8 SP.

Guide is great when you remember to use it. From a damage aspect, I'm sure I'd have been potentially happier with a different lead, but I've been rotating my teams pretty heavily.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have seen no perks to Ophelia. She's just outright trash.

In a game of fun and amazing perks she got totally left out and is just a dumpster fire in my experience

Ophilia owns as a scholar

see:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DLC Inc posted:

Yeah, she really needs a subclass to function. Basically everyone else comes with something cool out of the box.

^burtle posted:

I went with Op as my "main" and things have gone pretty smoothly for me. Around level 30 at the moment and SP hasn't really been an issue, especially with being able to boost her light heal for 500-700 for 8 SP.

I mean, Alfyn can do the same thing for 4 SP. Its kind of nuts.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

euphronius posted:

Summon seems strong?

I have Primrose though who can also summon and has nice buffs to give out. Won't deny that Summon is really great as a bonus attack/skill that can save you big time in boss battles wherein the NPC skill may hit weaknesses.

^burtle posted:

Guide is great when you remember to use it. From a damage aspect, I'm sure I'd have been potentially happier with a different lead, but I've been rotating my teams pretty heavily.

Yeah I suppose it might be different with her as the highest level character; she's my 5th accrued so maybe she needs a subclass badly because she doesn't seem to hit as many weaknesses as others do (Light weakness for some reason just seems to be less prominent than the other elements.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zore posted:

I mean, Alfyn can do the same thing for 4 SP. Its kind of nuts.

Alfyn heals single target, Ophilia heals the party. And she gets a stronger aoe heal too.