Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Samuringa posted:

Brutal Legend being an RTS :v:

I'm still angry about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I wonder if the demo ending right before the RTS elements appeared was intentional or not

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The greatest twist is that I'm not even actually real. I've been a fake poster this whole time.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Snooze Cruise posted:

I think I have like told 5 people about that twist because everyone just immediately kills them it seems.

WELL I DIDN'T, CAUSE I ALWAYS KINDA LIKED THEM.

How could you not like someone that stylish

I think Alpha Protocol is the storygame that I completed the most playthroughs for, I made a chart with all the major decisions and went through each one.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I dunno if it counts as a twist but it's very unexpected and cool in Dishonored when you try to use time freeze powers on Daud and he just ignores them.. Really, anything like that when a baddy just no-sells some integral part of your rear end-kicking repertoire but especially time manipulation sort of things.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
in ff13 when you briefly control vanille in the opening she has 3 AP instead of 2 because, as you find out like ten hours later, she's secretly already got crystal powers when the game begins

ff13 is bad mostly but I think that's at least a little clever

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

hosed up that nobody has mentioned Ghost Trick yet.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

in ff13 when you briefly control vanille in the opening she has 3 AP instead of 2 because, as you find out like ten hours later, she's secretly already got crystal powers when the game begins

ff13 is bad mostly but I think that's at least a little clever
In a similar vein Tidus in FFX being the only party member you can rename just like how you can rename the rest of your aeons is neat.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the best part of tidus is how because he doesn't have a name set in stone when people have to start directly referring to him as a person who exists all they can say is "THAT GUY"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My favorite twist in a video game was that scene from TWD season one that's like "Carly will remember this" seconds before getting her brains blown out by Lilly. That was a devilishly clever fourth wall break and made that turn truly shocking.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

tap my mountain posted:

I wonder if the demo ending right before the RTS elements appeared was intentional or not

idk but starting the game without RTS elements at all and then suddenly asking people to juggle plates was a huge mistake

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it would've maybe been fine is the rts elements felt very fun

maybe it's just cause i only did like the first rts segment before i stopped but it just, was a less fun part of the game in general iirc

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm a fool who likes the RTS bits in Brutal Legend but yes, the game would have been better if it had been upfront about being a remake of that one weird RTS game. I really do like that ground-level command but it falls apart after you get more than five dudes because you can't use control groups on a console. I didn't care for the actiony bits because Jack Black felt very clunky to fight with, you don't have a lot of movement options aside from rolling when you're in a fight.

The game should have been split in two, make Jack Black's Amazing Metal Adventure a full action thing by itself then do the RTS bits on PC for weird people like me.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Jack Black Metal Zelda would have been great but Tim Schaffer is incapable of being involved in straightforwardly good game

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

this is the best omg

also can't wait for the failbans to start rolling in for players from where i live, "ni ga" means "he's not here" where I'm from and people legit got in trouble for that before, even irl never mind online. it's a shame because things like that make them discontinue these autoban things once a decent chunk of people get banned for using words that are bad in english.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

McDragon posted:

I dunno if it counts as a twist but it's very unexpected and cool in Dishonored when you try to use time freeze powers on Daud and he just ignores them.. Really, anything like that when a baddy just no-sells some integral part of your rear end-kicking repertoire but especially time manipulation sort of things.

The first time I confronted him I just nicked his key and hosed off and only when I replayed the game I realized I had missed one hell of a boss fight.

He can use his powers to slow down time and then you can use yours and everyone around you just freeze completely while you two are duking it out like madmen

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The the twists and turns with the Decoy Octopus fake-outs in MGS1 were good. Also the MGS2 fakeout with Raiden is classic. Going to admit, the Bioshock command thing totally got me even though I'd already figured out who the real bad guy was.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Raxivace posted:

In a similar vein Tidus in FFX being the only party member you can rename just like how you can rename the rest of your aeons is neat.
Also the fact that Yuna doesn't get a Water Aeon, because she already has Tidus.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

tap my mountain posted:

It didn't, the demo was like 30 minutes long the RTS stuff didn't even appear until like 1/3 of the way through the game.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I coulda swore the roadie tutorial mine section was right after where the demo ended but I'm prob wrong

My favorite twist is still the Bionic Commando one. Its just so dumb and pointless, and one half-assed segment later the games over with no conclusion at all. The late 2000s was the dark ages of modern gaming.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

If you're keeping up with the Star Citizen thread, you're missing out

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

did those loveable scamps doxx some more people

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

As I'm playing Horizon i'm reminded of the thing that sucks the most in open world games, when you come across the unique and cool environment where some obvious story mission is but you've not unlocked that mission or quest or whatever so the setpiece is empty or halfassed and then is pretty boring when it actually happens because you've seen it.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Taintrunner posted:

yea true you could be doing anything else with your time

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Phantasium posted:

As I'm playing Horizon i'm reminded of the thing that sucks the most in open world games, when you come across the unique and cool environment where some obvious story mission is but you've not unlocked that mission or quest or whatever so the setpiece is empty or halfassed and then is pretty boring when it actually happens because you've seen it.

I played Horizon after playing Breath of the Wild so this kind of thing stuck out a lot

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

derek smart was permabanned a long while ago

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

kinda stopped when dsmart was finally permabanned, it's a lot chiller now IME. of course i only read it once in a while so i'm like 10 billion posts behind most of the time

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

So, in the last 3 months I’ve played about 27 hours of Redout so far, 5 hours of Antigraviator, 16 hours of Fast RMX, 2 hours of GRIP (which I got last night), and no idea how many hours of F Zero GX.

I absolutely love Redout. It is excellent. It’s focus on getting good lap times and mastering the courses makes it very rewarding when you finally get to the point where you no longer grind every wall on the track. The vehicles control like some strange combination between a boat and a fighter jet. You pull back when going through loops, and the way the vehicle moves when you use the air brake on hard turns is similar to a boat. It feels slidey at first but it becomes second nature really quickly. The soundtrack and visuals are also spectacular. It is more difficult in general than F Zero is though.

Fast RMX is the closest of all the games I’ve played to being like F Zero. It’s unique orange/blue mechanic adds an extra level of challenge without being obstructive. Very pretty, and has some challenging tracks. If you want something as close as possible to F Zero, Fast RMX is the best of them.

Antigraviator for me was disappointing compared to the others I’ve played. The controls are simplistic, which is fine, though I wish it had strafing. The AI rubber bands way harder than the other games I’ve played, and the game’s “trap” gimmick doesn’t add much in my opinion. Boosting is also extremely limited compared to other games because boost is treated as an item and you can only store a limited number of them, and opportunities to get more dont feel often enough. There’s a bunch of other things i dont like as well, but I cant remember them right now.

GRIP is really fun so far from what I’ve played. Its not at all like F Zero, but instead is based on Rollcage. It’s fast and chaotic. Cars bounce around like crazy but recover very well. Tracks are fun, the soundtrack is alright but not incredible. It looks great too. Only problems it has currently are due to still being early access (which the game will finally come out of in the next few months). I like GRIP and I am excited for more of it.

Next in my list of racing games is BallisticNG, Formula Fusion, and some of the Wipeout games.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Anyway I'm not really that much of a fan of DR either. The first one worked because it was new and fresh but once it lost its novelty it sucked outside of specific mysteries. That's why I like the V3 ending, because it's a piece of media turning to the camera and saying "yeah this sucked and we probably shouldn't have made it"

If you make a bad sequel while complaining about bad sequels you just look like an rear end in a top hat. See: Wes Cravens New Nightmare.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Phantasium posted:

Ah, you fought that one Stormbird on the mountaintop early too?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

Ah, you fought that one Stormbird on the mountaintop early too?

No, I found the Faro building

What's weird is that when I went there the first time I was getting story dialog told to me that didn't make any sense and also when I went back it remembered that I cleared it out (except for the one area that didn't have anybody before).

Also tried to go to the top right of the map before too but at least they said "hey this is frozen over" instead of letting me awkwardly do half of it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Grapplejack posted:

If you make a bad sequel while complaining about bad sequels you just look like an rear end in a top hat. See: Wes Cravens New Nightmare.

I mean it's not quite that. It's not complaining about sequels in general. It's saying "you fuckers wanted a new Danganronpa, but actually Danganronpa sucks. Please stop asking for it" which ruled.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

New Nightmare is genius, though. What the hell

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Taintrunner posted:

i get the rest of the labels but why is the hoop “nba tv”

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Samuringa posted:

The entirety of Xenogears is a big twist made of other smaller twists but I love the one where you're in a food manufacturer, starting from when they're already packaged(And both Fei and Elly eat quite a bit) going backwards untilyou get Soylent Green'd

Yeah, lots of great twists in Xenogears, though one of my favorites is still: Lacan/Grahf/Wiseman/your father are all one in the same character :allears:

Bonus depression points go to the reveal at the orphanage, if you bring Redrum's tag to the one kid, you piece together that their father got turned into the Wel that you guys murdered in the sewer

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

oddium posted:

i get the rest of the labels but why is the hoop “nba tv”

croberts tricked them into thinking it would be a safe sponsorship, a lucrative advertising opportunity

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The Skeleton King posted:

So, in the last 3 months I’ve played about 27 hours of Redout so far, 5 hours of Antigraviator, 16 hours of Fast RMX, 2 hours of GRIP (which I got last night), and no idea how many hours of F Zero GX.

I absolutely love Redout. It is excellent. It’s focus on getting good lap times and mastering the courses makes it very rewarding when you finally get to the point where you no longer grind every wall on the track. The vehicles control like some strange combination between a boat and a fighter jet. You pull back when going through loops, and the way the vehicle moves when you use the air brake on hard turns is similar to a boat. It feels slidey at first but it becomes second nature really quickly. The soundtrack and visuals are also spectacular. It is more difficult in general than F Zero is though.

Redout looks/sounds pretty cool, I'll probably pick that up at some point. I hadn't heard of it at all and it's been out for a year somehow

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

oddium posted:

also a recent one for persona 5: real igor and real igor voice :swoon:

This was a pretty great twist. Once it happened it seemed super obvious but I somehow didn't see it coming at all. Taking 60-70 hours to get there may have had something to do with that.

I think that's also why the twist in MGSV works. They do straight up tell you but then the game pretty much just ignores it for dozens of hours so I'd forgotten by the time of the reveal.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The orsted chapter of live-a-live has a pretty great twist yeah, whoever said that is right.

2 favorite video game twists that come to mind would be from Shadow Hearts: From The New World and the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 3 fangame 7th Stand User.

In Shadow Hearts: From The New World, the twist is The main character died once and was revived. This is important because the previous 3 games in that universe, Koudelka, Shadow Hearts, and Shadow Hearts Covenant, all included the Emigre Manuscript which was a special document containing the steps for reviving the dead, but the actual steps pretty much never worked, or they'd work but not in the way intended, and so you'd end up with horrible monstrosities or fake shells of people or very unstable creatures that can barely last for longer than a few seconds in this world before departing back to the afterlife. The fact that the main character is actually a successful attempt at reviving the dead is amazing and is the reason behind why he has the various special powers he has, it's because he gained those powers upon death and revival. The villain being his sister is another case of the revival ritual failing. The reason her ritual failed is because she allowed her ritual to fail in order to try and help her brother's succeed, or something along those lines.

As for the JoJo part 3 game, the twist there (spoilers for all jojo parts and for this fangame too) depending on your actions throughout the game, you can discover a group of people who don't exist in the canon events of Part 3 who fight you and their whole beef is that they know that the events of this game aren't canon, that something has happened to make these events happen, and their leader reveals that during Part 6 of Jojo, she was given a Stand power which would allow her to sit back and view the world as if it were a filmstrip, able to view the exact events that will happen in the next frame of the film strip and showing what happened previously in the filmstrip. When she sits in this position, the world itself stops progressing until she goes back to it. So the problem comes that another stand causes the entirety of time to speed up to the point that the universe goes through multiple deaths and rebirths over and over and over, all in the span of seconds, and when this lady with her filmstrip stand goes to view what's happening, it causes bad poo poo to happen because the filmstrip is trying to show all of the universe happening at once and the filmstrip has become more of a zoetrope showing everything happening all at once. On top of this, the zoetrope shows that the stand user is there in that world as well and if she is there in the world, then that means that she can't be looking at the filmstrip/zoetrope, and reality is breaking so hard that it is trying to make everything make sense again so when reality is like "oh, there's supposed to be a person in this chair looking at this filmstrip, but that person is stuck in the constantly-fast-forwarded-resetting-world" then it decides to just create a new being to act as a means of righting everything and viewing the zoetrope. You, the player, are that zoetrope-viewer, the game itself is the zoetrope, letting you view the events of Part 3 as well as all of the other events that, through time fuckery, have compressed to this one particular time period, and your avatar, the 7th Stand User, in the game is under your control so that you can right all of this bullshit and let reality start making sense again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

As for the JoJo part 3 game, the twist there (spoilers for all jojo parts and for this fangame too)

This is cool but way too internally consistent for Jojo

• Locked thread