Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Beachcomber posted:

Caption says "full speed" but don't horses go faster than that?

HOW Much faster do you have expect it to go it has literally 1 horsepower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's 99.99% riot training to protect elites from scenarios like climate refugees, with a "fun" veneer.

They really should train to fight those Boston Dynamic quadruped robots.

Barudak posted:

The horse breaks its leg and john goes to double tap it and the horse pulls out its own gun

Concept art:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Snowman_McK posted:

I mean, it doesn't stop zombie movies and games from being a lot of fun, but it is funny that someone thought that really thinking about the idea was a good thing to do

I've seen plans like that before, working for the government. 99% of the time it's because the people in the office are bored or it's handed to a new guy to see what kind of ideas and chops he's got for making plans by giving him a bizarre scenario, but some offices really do take it seriously to try to plan for the unforeseeable.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

They killed his dog, now they're going to kill his horse. By the time the series wraps up, they'll have murdered an entire menagerie.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Beachcomber posted:

Caption says "full speed" but don't horses go faster than that?

Your Gay Uncle posted:

HOW Much faster do you have expect it to go it has literally 1 horsepower

Real live horses only rarely move faster than a healthy person can jog. If you've ever watched an old western or similar show with a "fast" horse, it was almost certainly camera or frame rate trickery.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Snowman_McK posted:

The only reason to read World War Z is that it's, at least theoretically, more tactically realistic or better thought out than the average zombie thing. It isn't, though.

I mean, WWZ has a ghost story and a blind swordsman.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

wyoming posted:

I mean, WWZ has a ghost story and a blind swordsman.

I forgot the ghost story. I'm just remembering the whole 'battle of yonkers' thing.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Hahahahahahahaha!

https://twitter.com/robinhoodmovie/status/1018976583200067584

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
No we're not desperate to look hip and cool why do you ask

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Schwarzwald posted:

Real live horses only rarely move faster than a healthy person can jog. If you've ever watched an old western or similar show with a "fast" horse, it was almost certainly camera or frame rate trickery.

It's also on a paved street. I doubt they can do top speed on asphalt and I doubt the people responsible would want it to.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'd love to know who greenlit Sorry To Bother You.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Did Clancy ever claim to be a vet? Dude just thought military stuff was sweet, and I'm totally down for the badass idea of a carrier-launched A-10.

The A-10s are actually an Air Force reserve unit flying from Maine. It’s a good scene.

Honestly if you want to read good techno-thrillers just read Cauldron and Red Phoenix by Larry Bond (the guy who REALLY wrote Red Storm Rising) or even better than that, Arc Light, Team Yankee, and Red Army are all much better books than RSR. And I used to consider RSR my favorite book ever. Now it’s deffo Arc Light

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Being a brand name writer that doesn't even have to write his own stuff anymore sounds like such a cushy gig.

Stephen King did basically the reverse when he started writing stuff as "Richard Bachman" basically working a ghost writer for a non-existant writer because he was worried people were only buying his work because it had a famous name attached and because the publishers wanted to limit him to only publishing one book per year like some sort of shiftless layabout.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

FreudianSlippers posted:

because the publishers wanted to limit him to only publishing one book per year like some sort of shiftless layabout.

Well that's because, unlike Tom Clancy, Stephen King was powered by the true blood of patriotism in his younger days: cocaine.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Red Storm Rising was really good when I read it in high school but all of Clancy's other stuff I tried was terrible so I dropped him, of course it turns out he didn't even write the one book of his I liked.

Also live-action Rugrats movie with CGI characters! (and a new tv series)

quote:

The media conglomerate on Monday announced that it is reviving the children's television series for a 26-episode greenlight at cable network Nickelodeon as well as a new live-action feature film featuring CGI characters for Paramount Players.

The TV series and movie will include new adventures with original characters Tommy, Chuckie, Phil, Lil, Susie and Angelica, while also introducing a new world of characters.

Original creators Arlene Klasky, Gábor Csupó and Paul Germain will return for the Nickelodeon series as executive producers. Production on the new animated series is already underway in Burbank, with casting, a premiere date and more to be announced in the coming months.

The Rugrats feature will be penned by David Goodman and released by Paramount Players on Nov. 13, 2020.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/rugrats-revived-at-viacom-new-nickelodeon-series-feature-film-1127473

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It's amazing how Stephen King's works range in prestige and quality from The Shawshank Redemption to The Mangler, but they all gets adapted into movies just the same.

By the way, here's a TV series he's been making with JJ Abrams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXsKCQenpt0

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pennywise Origins ft Mike Hanlon

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I'd love to know who greenlit Sorry To Bother You.
Annapurna picked it up at Sundance &

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/sundance-sorry-to-bother-you-annapurna-1202677125/ posted:

The film was produced by Nina Yang Bongiovi, Forest Whitaker, Charles D. King, George Rush, Jonathan Duffy, and Kelly Williams. It was co-financed by MNM Creative, MACRO, and Cinereach.
apparently in part because

https://www.washingtonpost.com/express/wp/2018/07/04/sorry-to-bother-you-writer-director-boots-riley-made-sure-his-voice-comes-through/?utm_term=.ae2fd62a6f08 posted:

Securing funding is always difficult for a first-time director, but the subject matter of “Sorry to Bother You” made it even more challenging. A turning point came when Cross and fellow comedian Patton Oswalt, who provides the “white voice” for another character, both signed on.

“Before I had any producers or investors, [Cross and Oswalt] were just like, ‘Yes, this is hilarious, I’m down,’ ” Riley says. “It was enough to make people think, ‘Oh, at least it’s funny.’ ”

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

CelticPredator posted:

Pennywise Origins ft Mike Hanlon

Change that to Mike Patton and I think you've got a deal.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Annapurna picked it up at Sundance &

apparently in part because

I knew the title was familiar but I had no idea this movie was actually done by Boots Riley. That's awesome.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Snowman_McK posted:

The only reason to read World War Z is that it's, at least theoretically, more tactically realistic or better thought out than the average zombie thing. It isn't, though.

Zombies in general, as a threat, don't hold up to scrutiny at all. The thing humans are crazy good at is killing other humans, and those are humans who can think, run, use tactics and weapons, and we've still spent millenia successfully slaughtering each other. It's why all the good zombie movies are either set at the beginning of the outbreak, before resistance is organised, or just skips over how they wiped out humanity.

Shaun of the Dead nails it once again. As soon as the military shows up the movie's over and then it's just readjustment to post-zombie life.

A few video games also come to mind; Dead Rising and House of the Dead: Overkill specifically note that the zombification spread as a disease (I think the former was bee/wasp stings, the latter an engineered toxin deliberately spread) with limited scope and effect, and mostly contained to a specific area. The whole zombie thing does work in a limited capacity where it's less apocalyptic and more a handful of people dealing with a world that's turned against them.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Red Storm Rising was really good when I read it in high school but all of Clancy's other stuff I tried was terrible so I dropped him, of course it turns out he didn't even write the one book of his I liked.

Also live-action Rugrats movie with CGI characters! (and a new tv series)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/rugrats-revived-at-viacom-new-nickelodeon-series-feature-film-1127473

It's not gonna be the same without the old school janky and ugly yet oddly charming K-S animation style. Also the parents being hilarious.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

This is one of the worst ideas I've ever seen, and one of the few posts in the thread to actually make me go "who greenlighted this". Seriously, who thought this would be anything other than horrifying? :psyboom:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Rugrats comic strip was pulled from newspapers, allegedly because the art style made one of the Jewish characters look like an antisemitic caricature.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

The MSJ posted:

The Rugrats comic strip was pulled from newspapers, allegedly because the art style made one of the Jewish characters look like an antisemitic caricature.

...how did that happen when IIRC the entire main family was Jewish :psyduck:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Shaun of the Dead nails it once again. As soon as the military shows up the movie's over and then it's just readjustment to post-zombie life.

A few video games also come to mind; Dead Rising and House of the Dead: Overkill specifically note that the zombification spread as a disease (I think the former was bee/wasp stings, the latter an engineered toxin deliberately spread) with limited scope and effect, and mostly contained to a specific area. The whole zombie thing does work in a limited capacity where it's less apocalyptic and more a handful of people dealing with a world that's turned against them.

Shaun of the Dead nails a lot of stuff. It's a fantastic movie, and is one of like...five good things to come out of the zombie craze.

Dead Rising also just knows how extremely dumb the whole thing is and just lets you kill zombies with improvised weapons. It's another one of those five.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

oh god i forgot about that stupid fuckin movie

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Beachcomber posted:

I can't believe they packaged the Invisible Woman with the housecleaning robot.

Gatts posted:

Well technically isn’t it also the Nanny and was a member of the FF in full?

He was a full member in the 1978 cartoon series because Marvel had separately sold the rights to the Human Torch and they had to create a new character to replace him. He's usually a fairly minor character in the comics (if he appears at all).

1stGear posted:

Make the Joker origin movie an anthology and get loving weird with it. Like get JJ Abrams to do the first short to reel people in then WHAM David Lynch operating on maximum Inland Empire.

Or just use different actors to play the Joker throughout the movie, like the Bob Dylan movie I'm Not There.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC the comics relatively recently did a thing where multiple contradictory Joker origins are true because there's actually at least three independent Jokers running around. (and one version is implied to be basically Nyarlathotep)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

I can't believe they packaged the Invisible Woman with the housecleaning robot.

lol what does it say about me than I didn't pick up on that.

NOW WITH EXTRA COOKING IN THE KITCHEN ACTION!!!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Davros1 posted:

Can't wait for the latest round of "The Joker shouldn't have an origin!"

he was bullied in high school

like, a lot

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Tbh a stupid silly character among stupid silly comic book characters like the Joker doesn't deserve quality actors like Frances or Joaquin involved so whatever gets churned out is already above board and too good for any source material

Joaquin passed on being Dr. Strange b/c he didn't want to be tied to a franchise, haha.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Grease 'em now? Well, OK. You are a vicious bastard Rotelli, and, uh, I'm glad you're dead!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Probably wishful thinking here but maybe Frances McDormand and Joaquin Phoenix getting involved with this Joker origin story is a positive sign that people have gotten so loving bored of stupid comic book movies that they're just producing character dramas with the vaguest window dressings of superhero references so that they can get made with a decent budget in 2018.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Shaun of the Dead nails a lot of stuff. It's a fantastic movie, and is one of like...five good things to come out of the zombie craze.

Dead Rising also just knows how extremely dumb the whole thing is and just lets you kill zombies with improvised weapons. It's another one of those five.

What else you think Shaun nailed? Just curious.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Shaun was probably a little more subtle about its self awareness than Zombieland

in what quantifiable way I don't know

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Unless the military is the villain of course.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Joker's origin should be identical to Batman's including having his parents killed by the same mugger, the only difference is Joker's family was leaving a showing of Battlefield Earth

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Joaquin passed on being Dr. Strange b/c he didn't want to be tied to a franchise, haha.
Given how DC's film offerings are going I don't think he has anything to worry about here.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tars Tarkas posted:

Joker's origin should be identical to Batman's including having his parents killed by the same mugger, the only difference is Joker's family was leaving a showing of Battlefield Earth

He maintains a personal vendetta against John Travolta for making a movie so terrible his family had to leave the theater early, leading to that fateful encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

Given how DC's film offerings are going I don't think he has anything to worry about here.

I don’t think they are making his into a franchise thing. It’s not even part of the DCEU (unless they retroactively make it so in the future).