Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I am hella PEEVED posted:

Please tell me this isn't real. People gently caress up Bardam's Mettle regularly.

It's totally real. He also forgot the part where you get poisoned and drinking an antidote just prompts the boss to poison you again. :v:

Kidding aside, we know nothing of the fight besides the player numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, it's good to know there's no reason to not just get the Ironworks stuff now. Hopefully it looks reasonably cool, though it might be nice to have something that looks a bit less silly than my current ninja clothes. It feels goofy being dressed like a ninja and having the Doma refugee lady think nothing of the fact that the Warrior of Light is randomly a practitioner of the ~arts~. Like she comments on Thancred's knife-fighting while I'm over here using my jutsus.

There is a point later where she can make a comment about it. Likely around the point Rogue became playable.

Stormblood also has Ironworks Crafter and Gatherer gear, which looks really good.

Please tell me this isn't real. People gently caress up Bardam's Mettle regularly.

:unsmigghh:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Brainamp posted:

It's totally real. He also forgot the part where you get poisoned and drinking an antidote just prompts the boss to poison you again. :v:

Kidding aside, we know nothing of the fight besides the player numbers.

The stuff I mentioned was what I saw mentioned in 4.4 addition logs, so it's real as far as I know.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Courtesy of Reddit:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

On the plus side, you can solo it?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Monathin posted:

"Know that I will kill your god if I have to. Hell, even if I don't."

If it wasn't for the slightly 'gently caress your poo poo' part of that second sentence I'd have totally picked that dialogue option, yes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

From what I've seen in script dumps, her reaction was basically "...Okay then."

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
"Okay then" and "Yeah, we know it's not really <spoiler> but a figment, so go right ahead".

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, it's good to know there's no reason to not just get the Ironworks stuff now. Hopefully it looks reasonably cool, though it might be nice to have something that looks a bit less silly than my current ninja clothes. It feels goofy being dressed like a ninja and having the Doma refugee lady think nothing of the fact that the Warrior of Light is randomly a practitioner of the ~arts~. Like she comments on Thancred's knife-fighting while I'm over here using my jutsus.

The idea of being promoted in the military by just giving them a bunch of equipment is funny. Like someone goes to the US Army and is like "yo here's some guns" and they nod and make you a Major.

The level 60 Ironworks looks quite silly, but some people like it so YMMV, but either way glamour is your best friend and the true end game.
Just find an outfit you like looks wise and just paste it over the visuals of what ur currently wearing.
Some pure glamour clothes can be found on auction thats lvl1 to equip for example, there is also some pvp gear that looks pretty drat cool as well as various 4man dungeon unique loot and level 50 crafted pieces.
Definitely check out the glamour dresser too, its great for storing and making outfits.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's a four man Trial, you cannot control aggro, no healing magic is allowed, and getting hit too often will make you dizzy.

You get 10 potions, everyone auto-rezzes every time they die, but you can only die collectively 3 times before the encounter wipes.

Have fun doing this in Party Finder. :v:

I'm torn because while I love Monster Hunter, applying MH's conventions to a slower MMO like this one sounds like a nightmare. I'm excited to see how good and/or poorly this might go though.

They should totally make you flex in place while using an item, too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Vanderdeath posted:

They should totally make you flex in place while using an item, too.

MHWorld got rid of that because nobody but crusty salarymen on the train and forums grogs liked it.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I'm looking for an MMO that I can pretty comfortably solo in, but where it's easy to dip in and out of group content. I also really like to play barbie dress up. It looks like it's between this and GW2, and I like the aesthetic of this more than GW2. Is FFXIV fairly friendly to casual soloers?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

NeurosisHead posted:

I'm looking for an MMO that I can pretty comfortably solo in, but where it's easy to dip in and out of group content. I also really like to play barbie dress up. It looks like it's between this and GW2, and I like the aesthetic of this more than GW2. Is FFXIV fairly friendly to casual soloers?

The whole main story is solo with occasional groups for boss fights and dungeons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NeurosisHead posted:

Yes, very much so. You do have to do group dungeons from time to time to advance the plot but otherwise you can do it all on your own and the game matches you with people for the dungeons (or you can ask here for help.)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Group content usually tops out at 25-30 minutes per dungeon, and for the most part the player base is pretty chill. If you treat it as a ~100 hour JRPG you'll be pretty happy.

I do recommend playing with goons, though. If only for the network of support ("hey, can anyone help me with a dungeon/making gear/making a glamour item?") and the passive bonuses like making your food last 10 minutes longer or the +XP buff.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Cool, thanks for the feedback! I'll check out the trial and see if I feel like sticking around!

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Got to the top of Heaven on High today! Its a tad easier than potd, for a variety of reasons, but the thing I appreciate the most is that it doesn't have over 100 floors of boring slog before it gets hard.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Anyone else having the game crash sometimes during/after teleportation? I've had to reinstall the game a few times this week alone.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Gally posted:

Got to the top of Heaven on High today! Its a tad easier than potd, for a variety of reasons, but the thing I appreciate the most is that it doesn't have over 100 floors of boring slog before it gets hard.

I got to 91, and then a cyborg minotaur immediately walked into the room and killed my entire party. :suicide:

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
Heaven-on-High climbs all the way to Doom?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

kirbysuperstar posted:

MHWorld got rid of that because nobody but crusty salarymen on the train and forums grogs liked it.

I love that dumb flex and wish it could at least come back as an emote somehow. God have mercy on me and my calcified claw-like hands from the handheld games :negative:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

The idea of being promoted in the military by just giving them a bunch of equipment is funny. Like someone goes to the US Army and is like "yo here's some guns" and they nod and make you a Major.

Military officers being nothing more than rich nobles who can afford a large number of matching hats isn’t that unusual pre 1900’s.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rhymenoserous posted:

Military officers being nothing more than rich nobles who can afford a large number of matching hats isn’t that unusual pre 1900’s.

Depending on where you are in the world and how much you squint, this is still the case today.

The only wonder is why it's taken so long for the GCs to offer more promotion options to get the world's most dangerous person more invested in helping them out.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
"Look, I don't care how much money it takes, you get your best weavers on the job and you have them make a ton of great looking gear. The Warrior of Light just bought the last piece of Immortal Flames pants and those goofy pirates just put out a new line of fancy hats to lure him back in!"

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by
question to PLD players, are Rampart/Sentinel ever worth burning to boost Intervention, or should they always be held for tank switches?

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

pupuru posted:

question to PLD players, are Rampart/Sentinel ever worth burning to boost Intervention, or should they always be held for tank switches?

It depends on when you're next going to be taking damage and how your other cooldowns line up with the damage intake of the raid, what CDs your healers have for you, etc.

If you're in pug/pf content no loving literally never.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Depends on the fight but generally not. The best case scenario I can think of is for shared tank busters that where Sheltron isn't needed or you somehow have 100 meter.

If you map your CDs for the fight extensively, there's probably some spots where as a OT you have enough downtime to give the MT a Rampart Intervention at least once, but that's pretty detailed optimization that isn't really all that helpful.

The one situation in current content I can think of where I could justify Rampart Intervention is the very first prey in O7S, since you Hallowed Dada anyway and it'll be back by Ultros.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hit the 46-49 quest slump on my alt character and man I forgot how much that part suuuuucked. Main story quests gave you some decentish xp, around 25k a pop. Then you get to 47 and the game tells you to gently caress off until 49. Oh but you get a few quests to keep you going! You get 1 quest chain at 46, 47 and 48. And they pay out like 10k a pop, and last like 5 quests. Out of the 400k+ per level at that point.

I don't know how I dealt with it back then when there was no ala mhigan earrings boosting my dungeon xp, or back before they buffed dungeon mob xp in the first place.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Leal posted:

I don't know how I dealt with it back then when there was no ala mhigan earrings boosting my dungeon xp, or back before they buffed dungeon mob xp in the first place.

You sat in Northern Thanalan like a good boy and waited for Dark Devices to pop.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Rainuwastaken posted:

You sat in Northern Thanalan like a good boy and waited for Dark Devices to pop.

Ah the good ol days, then there was that one idiot/rear end in a top hat who would go kill the mobs to actually progress the fate and everyone would lose their poo poo.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Oh right, and the dungeon for that stretch is AURUM VALE :shepface:

Did you know that 4 out of 5 parties disband in the first room?

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Leal posted:

Oh right, and the dungeon for that stretch is AURUM VALE :shepface:

Did you know that 4 out of 5 parties disband in the first room?

The fifth party has someone just start screaming uncontrollably as soon as they zone into piss yellow and green tunnels and disconnects, presumably because they threw their computer out the window.

maybe that's just me i dunno

The other three members sheepishly admit they'd rather spend 30 minutes running loops around a housing zone themselves, and all abandon the duty to do just that. Everyone ends up having a much better time then running Aurum Vale.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Aurum Vale is bad, but Coincounter always manages to make up for it. I'm endlessly amused by watching people get splattered by the spin attack.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
loving coin counter, the ONE party who managed to not wipe and drop in the first room I had a tank who kept spinning the drat guy, right into me as a melee dps.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Aurum vale is easy and Ive never wiped on it

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Aurum Vale was real fun with a) constant 9k2s because Square is bad at managing nodes and b) not having a new axe after I made the level 41 one. When I finally finished it took some serious aggro combos to not have RDM rip mobs.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Bard and Machinist both to Level 70. Thanks, HoH. :toot:

I should probably work on clearing Kefka before September now, though, so I'll likely save the rest for after Alphascape. Or something.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

NeurosisHead posted:

FFXIV is probably the best soloist MMO out rn. I like to sub every once in a while when we have a big update or event. The gear treadmill isn't too bad and I never feel lost when I return from a hiatus. Also, glams are super fun to collect since we have dungeon, alliance, crafting, and job gears for fashion. The downside is ofc that lack of inv space and storage issues.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I got to 91, and then a cyborg minotaur immediately walked into the room and killed my entire party. :suicide:

This group previously wiped on 98!! due to horses on a no items floor when out of serenity pomanders haha

you can do it! The cyborg minotaurs aren't as bad as they first look, but if they surprise you whomp thats it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, it was our first attempt, so I think that was pretty good. Just gotta clean it up and we'll make it.

I'm honestly tickled by how easy the Chimeras are now that they don't patrol.