Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

LeoMarr posted:

Yeah of alcohol make room for avocado farms in plce of those drat wineties

E: and weed farms. Prohibit alcohol is a 10/10

Are you having a stroke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

mila kunis posted:

Does the jungle primary ever lead to republicans getting elected from vote splitting?

I don't think there's been any real notable cases but the jungle primary has only been in place since 2012 so it's only been a few elections.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mila kunis posted:

Does the jungle primary ever lead to republicans getting elected from vote splitting?

It was a big fear this year that dems might get locked out of some districts via vote splitting because the blue wave caused SO MANY dem candidates to run, but AFAIK they managed to get a dem on the ballot in every district. There were a few close calls though.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

mila kunis posted:

The race for state treasurer in WA during the 2016 primary is one example (and the only one I could find): D votes outweighed R overall in the primary, at 51% vs 48%, but votes were split relatively evenly between the 3 D candidates and 2 R, resulting in two R's on the final ballot. It's worth noting that the electorate was pretty evenly split to begin with in that race, though.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

There’s also scores of people who should know better who think it’s still the 80s and that Republicans still have a solid shot at statewide offices so we need to go with a Reasonable Centrist to not shake things up too much, as well as people who really aren’t that progressive and don’t give a poo poo about universal healthcare so long as they can get gay married.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ProperGanderPusher posted:

There’s also scores of people who should know better who think it’s still the 80s and that Republicans still have a solid shot at statewide offices so we need to go with a Reasonable Centrist to not shake things up too much, as well as people who really aren’t that progressive and don’t give a poo poo about universal healthcare so long as they can get gay married.

or more realistically and relevant to who the dems are taking bribes from, are rich and want there to not be free healthcare so they can hold their employees in serfdom, but want to get married themselves

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The damnedest thing is that lots of corporations want some sort of government-run health care system because it means they wouldn't have to pay for their employees' health insurance.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The damnedest thing is that lots of corporations want some sort of government-run health care system because it means they wouldn't have to pay for their employees' health insurance.
Good social safety nets mean people can quit lovely jobs or not fear retaliation when confronting an employer about abuse.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Haha no, employer provided healthcare is the cudgel used to keep the middle class in line. Thinking about filing a complaint with HR about sexual harassment? Maybe holding out for better wages? Angry enough to go protest in the streets about economic justice or police brutality? You better think twice unless you want medical bankruptcy. Or at the very least, negotiating the nightmare of being between jobs and trying to get health care. Whatever money corporate America might save from a national single payer health care plan would not be worth it, and there is some question as to whether it would even save them money as such a national plan would certainly include higher taxes on the very wealthy.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

cheese posted:

Haha no, employer provided healthcare is the cudgel used to keep the middle class in line. Thinking about filing a complaint with HR about sexual harassment? Maybe holding out for better wages? Angry enough to go protest in the streets about economic justice or police brutality? You better think twice unless you want medical bankruptcy. Or at the very least, negotiating the nightmare of being between jobs and trying to get health care. Whatever money corporate America might save from a national single payer health care plan would not be worth it, and there is some question as to whether it would even save them money as such a national plan would certainly include higher taxes on the very wealthy.

With the exception that companies that are unionized generally do want government health care, since they don't have that cudgel to use anyway. That's why you get things like the major car companies or airlines being in support of national healthcare.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Isn't COBRA universal for all companies with 20+ employees?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Leperflesh posted:

Ever tried paying COBRA prices, tho?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Leperflesh posted:

COBRA was up to 800 dollars a month for my 20 dollar an hour friend last I heard

If you're thinking "that's devastating" then yeah I agree with you

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Leperflesh posted:

COBRA is often more expensive than paying retail rates. At least it was for me via Kaiser Permanente.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Cobra would cost me $1300/month and I'm single with no dependents.

E: Yes, I have a 'Cadilac' plan.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah COBRA rates are crazy to the point that they're functionally worthless.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Good point. Especially hard to pay when you're unemployed.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

mila kunis posted:

It did in my district in 2012, but it was corrected in 2014 and I don't think it happens a lot.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Not surprising.

https://twitter.com/ScottMStedman/status/1018961456098828289

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Doesn't CA-8 have two Republicans on the ballot? In 2014 CA-25 had two Republicans as well. Having two members of the same party being the only choices in a general election is bullshit, even if the demographics of California voters means that the bullshit would mostly hurt Republicans.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Leperflesh posted:

Good point. Especially hard to pay when you're unemployed.
I cant pay that poo poo and i have a job.

Sydin posted:

Yeah COBRA rates are crazy to the point that they're functionally worthless.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

cheese posted:

"Yes let's turn down an immediate boost to our bottom line on the basis of plausible negative medium term consequences" --literally no corporation ever

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Besides they can have the best of both worlds by just lobbying for a still-pretty-poo poo healthcare system but externalizing the costs

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I changed jobs early this year and got a COBRA packet for the lull between gigs. It was going to be something insane like $1300 for 4 weeks of COBRA coverage. So my options were:

1. Pay out the goddamn nose for COBRA knowing I probably won't even use it AND that even if I did have to use it I'd just be paying for the same high deductible plan I already had, so I'd be looking at $1300 + the full medical costs anyway.
2. Shop for a bare minimum Covered CA plan that I would then have to drop in a month, which would also be expensive and also a huge time sink and also not pay for a lot.
3. Go uninsured for a month and pray to all the religious deities that I didn't have a medical emergency during the brief window and get pounded into infinite medical debt. (What I chose because I'm young and reckless :v:)

Insurance and medical costs in this country are so goddamn hosed and all it takes is one little thing going wrong at the bad time to potentially ruin your finances forever.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

Yeah, this makes a ton of sense...

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Sydin posted:

I changed jobs early this year and got a COBRA packet for the lull between gigs. It was going to be something insane like $1300 for 4 weeks of COBRA coverage. So my options were:

1. Pay out the goddamn nose for COBRA knowing I probably won't even use it AND that even if I did have to use it I'd just be paying for the same high deductible plan I already had, so I'd be looking at $1300 + the full medical costs anyway.
2. Shop for a bare minimum Covered CA plan that I would then have to drop in a month, which would also be expensive and also a huge time sink and also not pay for a lot.
3. Go uninsured for a month and pray to all the religious deities that I didn't have a medical emergency during the brief window and get pounded into infinite medical debt. (What I chose because I'm young and reckless :v:)

Insurance and medical costs in this country are so goddamn hosed and all it takes is one little thing going wrong at the bad time to potentially ruin your finances forever.

COBRA has a weird retroactive thing. You can opt in up to 60 days after leaving your last job and get retroactive coverage. So if you get hit by a car in your uninsured window, you retroactively enroll, pay the $1300/month back to when you left your job, and are fine.

It's dumb and confusing.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Foxfire_ posted:

COBRA has a weird retroactive thing. You can opt in up to 60 days after leaving your last job and get retroactive coverage. So if you get hit by a car in your uninsured window, you retroactively enroll, pay the $1300/month back to when you left your job, and are fine.

It's dumb and confusing.
The one time I've seen it be good for anything is if you're in the middle of something complicated and expensive and suddenly lose your job, like being eight months pregnant or halfway through your final chemo sequence.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
My mom is apparently using COBRA for two whole years between when she retires and when Medicare kicks in. She contributed to some tax deferred health savings account to save up the money for it. So there's one other use I guess.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Foxfire_ posted:

It's dumb and confusing.

Oh wow, really? Would have saved myself a lot of stress if I'd known that. :sigh:

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Is Rohrbacher looking vulnerable? I mean, does being a Russian tool even count points against you in a Republican district today?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Morbus posted:

"Yes let's turn down an immediate boost to our bottom line on the basis of plausible negative medium term consequences" --literally no corporation ever

Lol if you think that businesses in the US today aren't using every cudgel in their arsenal to keep their employees in line and terrified of being fired. Normally I'd say you're right that they'll take any chance to disinvest in their labor force, but in this case they'd just drop health coverage for their employees entirely over paying taxes for a nationalized healthcare system.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

a_good_username posted:

Yeah, this makes a ton of sense...

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/397378-poll-dem-challenger-narrowly-leads-rohrabacherf

Good news though, the dem challenger is leading him slightly. With this information Harley Rouda needs to hammer him for being unamerican as gently caress.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I got into a conversation with a homeless woman about feinstein and when I mentioned people running against her she said "they should be running over her"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Lol if you think that businesses in the US today aren't using every cudgel in their arsenal to keep their employees in line and terrified of being fired. Normally I'd say you're right that they'll take any chance to disinvest in their labor force, but in this case they'd just drop health coverage for their employees entirely over paying taxes for a nationalized healthcare system.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/worker-wages-drop-while-companies-spend-billions-to-boost-stocks/

Worker Wages Drop While Companies Spend Billions To Boost Stocks

Edit: and another good one

https://washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/july-august-2018/the-truth-about-big-business/

I think I've mentioned it before but I work at a company where there's about a dozen dead-eyed boomers in their sixties who are only here for medical coverage. They are tired, broken down, and largely worthless. It's very sad.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 17, 2018

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pomp posted:

I got into a conversation with a homeless woman about feinstein and when I mentioned people running against her she said "they should be running over her"

God bless

InvisiBill
Jan 14, 2004
_ _

Pillbug

Zwabu posted:

Is Rohrbacher looking vulnerable? I mean, does being a Russian tool even count points against you in a Republican district today?

I'm in his district, and am getting a poll phone call twice a week about the race. During the primary season it was one per day.

Based on that alone, I'm thinking he is in trouble, but knowing the number of default R voters in our district, let alone my neighborhood, I would not take it as a given that he will lose.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1019675080341762048

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Update it to "Split into three states that form the new Republic of California. Oregon and Washington can come too, if they want." imo

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CPColin posted:

Update it to "Split into three states that form the new Republic of California. Oregon and Washington can come too, if they want." imo

Would vote yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

CPColin posted:

:emptyquote: