Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

Calaveron posted:

So were children back in 94 expected to beat SNES Maximum Carnage without like cheat codes or save states and such?

I did. Like any simple beat em up you keep the enemies on one side and approach them diagonally to abuse grabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

It must've been nice in those days. Make the first level insanely hard because you're still working with an arcade "gotta keep those coins coming in" mentality and then who cares about the ending? No one's going to see it anyway!

it was actually because yeah they knew you didnt get coins but they had to make the games impossible to keep rental revenue coming so it came to the same thing

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

chumbler posted:

You can actually learn things from lectures in college, and learning is for nerds.
Yeah the whole TED Talk culture seems more about selling shallow optimism to people than anything. It honestly doesn't seem that different than some of these shady megachurch organizations to me, but with a different coat of paint over the whole practice.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

corn in the bible posted:

it was actually because yeah they knew you didnt get coins but they had to make the games impossible to keep rental revenue coming so it came to the same thing

I feel like the developers would rather have people buy than rent their game? what do they get from rentals

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

That last week tonight skit was a pretty accurate portrayal of most Ted talks imo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The traditional explanation for how rentals influenced difficulty was that games had to be long enough they couldn't easily be beaten in a single rental period, and being absurdly difficult was one way to achieve length.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

al-azad posted:

I have somehow trained myself to recognize a scary dream so I start wiggling my toes and immediately wake up. Dream world panic button, sign me up as an Inception assassin.

i can wake myself up by just forcing my eyes open, which feels super weird in a dream where i feel like my eyes are already open

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Samuringa posted:

this is the PENIS Wright game, isn't it

maya!! cool beans!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Oh snap... I do not hear such a truth!!!????

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Raxivace posted:

Yeah the whole TED Talk culture seems more about selling shallow optimism to people than anything. It honestly doesn't seem that different than some of these shady megachurch organizations to me, but with a different coat of paint over the whole practice.

TED talks used to essentially be cool science/engineering symposia back when it started. A lot of them were really cool. I don't know what the gently caress happened to them.

And then the offshoot TEDx started which allowed laughably ridiculous content because of their vastly lower standards.

Looper posted:

i can wake myself up by just forcing my eyes open, which feels super weird in a dream where i feel like my eyes are already open

This is some Dark Tower poo poo. drat.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Colonel posted:

https://files.catbox.moe/udfjyf.mp4

this game was published by enix and atlus

One of the weirdest things about 3D animation is when people make their characters blink out of sync. I can only assume it was to make them look more "alive".

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Talking about SNES beat em ups has reminded me of how good Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV was.

It was like |<-------------------------------------------------------this----------------------------------------------------------->| good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it was ok

konami beat em ups looked nice and felt decent but their difficulty is pretty hosed and tmnt suffers pretty bad from it

good music though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0e69e_B_SE

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the real good konami arcade games where the shooters. mystic warriors ftw, it has you fight a samurai and then once you beat him he just says "I'M A GOOD LOSER. PLEASE END IT FOR ME" and you just straight-up loving kill him and move on

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Turtles in Time is easy. I solo it all the time.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Colonel posted:

konami beat em ups looked nice and felt decent but their difficulty is pretty hosed and tmnt suffers pretty bad from it

Turtles 2 and 3 do, yeah, but 4 toned down the difficulty quite a lot to the point where I'd actually call it fair.

Also I agree the music owns.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Turtles in Time is one of easiest best em ups I can think of

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Old games are hard as balls to cover up the fact that they're like 30 minutes long.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My advice to anyone experiencing night terrors etc is to take up long distance running because now every night l fall into bed for 6-7 hours of totally dreamless sleep.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

exquisite tea posted:

My advice to anyone experiencing night terrors etc is to take up long distance running because now every night l fall into bed for 6-7 hours of totally dreamless sleep.

Not a night terror haver but I do sleep a bit restlessly. I started doing 20 minute runs last year then one week I got a really bad cold and I stopped. All it takes is a simple interruption like that for me to fall out of a good habit :sigh:

Been thinking of starting again. I don't think I've ever felt better than I did during those few months. I'll wait until this heat wave passes first though...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i beat devil may cry on hard. i guess i'll run through on normal for s ranks and secret missions and then tackle dante must die

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0ixW0RH5FY

They probably should have had this team write the full game.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

My reoccurring nightmare is I'm driving super fast down a road and my brakes won't work and I cannot slow down. One of side effects of a bad accident I was in a few years back. It's honestly half the reason I smoke pot regularly.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Big Apple, 3 AM.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Not a night terror haver but I do sleep a bit restlessly. I started doing 20 minute runs last year then one week I got a really bad cold and I stopped. All it takes is a simple interruption like that for me to fall out of a good habit :sigh:

Been thinking of starting again. I don't think I've ever felt better than I did during those few months. I'll wait until this heat wave passes first though...

Run in the morning or late evening. It's how I'm keeping myself from falling out of habit in the face of heat and humidity. Also get a bike if you can and ride that. You can ride in hot weather and not notice it because you have a constant breeze.

I haven't been this active in six years and I feel great. You can do it too!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What's wrong with TED talks? I don't follow them so idk what is going on with them.

I thought I remembered a TED talk I saw where it was a couple of neuroscientists trying to explain why women love edward from twilight and why men love futanari and "traps" but when I tried to find it, it ended up being an "ic" talk instead and not a TED thing, so idk

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
With modern TED talks you're far more likely to get a random person spouting empty platitudes based on nothing but make you feel smart than you are to get an actual expert with something interesting, well researched and new to say.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Isn't there a difference between TED talks, which are given by experts chosen by a reputable organization, and TEDx talks, which are given by yahoos chosen by other yahoos?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

No TEDx is the legit one. I'm doing one soon where I rank the Final Fantasy games

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

No TEDx is the legit one. I'm doing one soon where I rank the Final Fantasy games

How do you handle games that were not originally Final Fantasy games but were rebranded as Final Fantasy outside of Japan for marketing purposes

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

l-look it's just a 200 slide powerpoint of lightning fanart

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Awesome.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Help Im Alive posted:

I didn't know you posted here Toryiama

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
All I really know about how TED Talks are organized I know from listening to NPR while working on weekends and the TED Radio Hour is mostly the worst with an occasional person who isn't an insufferable person with an insufferable powerpoint presentation that is being presented in an insufferable format.

Still, I often end up listening because I'm too lazy to fiddle with my MP3 player, the other NPR station is playing Celtic Music, modern music radio is even worse than it was when people listened to it and I don't like silence.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
It felt like my wife and I were the only two people in this world that hate TED talks. Glad to know we have company.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J_laovztHA

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've no idea who this Ted guy even is

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wildtortilla posted:

It felt like my wife and I were the only two people in this world that hate TED talks. Glad to know we have company.

The Onion had a whole web series that mocked TED talks a few years ago so it's definitely a known thing.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Sakurazuka posted:

I've no idea who this Ted guy even is

Seth MacFarlane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees