Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sakurazuka posted:

I've no idea who this Ted guy even is

he dug the panama canal with his bear hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ted aint nothin but a hound dog

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I watch this every couple of mornings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tom6_ceTu9s

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

New update for Middle-Earth: Shadow of War is out today that completely removes the micro transactions https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/07/17/middle-earth-shadow-of-war-one-update-to-rule-them-all-out-today/

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

let me know when they remove the macro transaction of buying the game :twisted:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

TED talks are by the kind of person that looks at the highest tier in galaxy brain memes and mutters "ah yes, how fascinating" while blowing their bubble pipe instead of laughing at it like a normal person

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://twitter.com/PizzaTowergame/status/1018809684692697090

i love wario pizza game

i don't know if this has been posted but even if it has im doing it again

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

i love wario pizza game

why would you base it off of wario land 4 instead of 2 or 3

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

exploded mummy posted:

why would you base it off of wario land 4 instead of 2 or 3

If Wario was a creative person then Wario Land 4 would be his experimental dadaism period and some people really gravitate towards that.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

i love wario pizza game

i wasn't expecting an indie game styled after those really ugly Canadian cartoons that used to play on cartoon network at weird hours but here we are

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Makes more sense to me than people who are nostalgic for PS1 polygon graphics

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jay Rust posted:

I never trust a shifty pyramid.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

It depends on the polygon style tbh.

I think there is definitely something to be said for certain polygonal aesthetics, but the PS1 has all kinds of games that try all kinds of visual styles and it's neat to look back and see which ones have aged well, which ones haven't, etc etc etc

I wanna see a game that copies the king's field style of graphics and I enjoy the ps1 era big-chunky graphics as well on robots in games like tail concerto or mega man legends, and I think the vague-face style of graphics in metal gear solid or granstream saga

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jay Rust posted:

the cheapness of the aesthetic allowed greater experimentation and access to high-level development as opposed to the homogenous nature of modern graphics-oriented game dev, hope this helps

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm really glad I never have real nightmares involving actually scary poo poo because that sounds terrifying

lately my nightmares have all been about my kids going missing/kidnapped/lost or whatever which are pretty scary ones

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FirstAidKite posted:

It depends on the polygon style tbh.

I think there is definitely something to be said for certain polygonal aesthetics, but the PS1 has all kinds of games that try all kinds of visual styles and it's neat to look back and see which ones have aged well, which ones haven't, etc etc etc

\____

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Jet Moto swamp level is one of the grossest-looking things

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Silent Hill is great and looks great and I love it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

the cheapness of the aesthetic allowed greater experimentation and access to high-level development as opposed to the homogenous nature of modern graphics-oriented game dev, hope this helps

Nope

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Want more sprites on 3D maps that have defined boundaries surrounded by nothingness/a blue background with a gradiant.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The PSX was a graphical showcase that moved consoles based on visuals just like every other gaming system on earth, it's just that those visuals have since aged very poorly.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can make almost any level of tech look good with art designed to complement it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

"Holy poo poo, the CGI cinematics are actually going on INSIDE the game. Can graphics even get any better?" - Me playing Final Fantasy 8, age 12.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Remember that period in the mid 90s when dumbasses thought sprites were passé but 3D was The Future resulting in some great games such as Mischief Makers, Tomba, and Symphony of the Night to sell poorly?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

exquisite tea posted:

"Holy poo poo, the CGI cinematics are actually going on INSIDE the game. Can graphics even get any better?" - Me playing Final Fantasy 8, age 12.

Tbf that effect still looks real good

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Requoting this to say lol

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I remember people on this very forum near the end of last gen around 2012 talking about how next gen consoles weren't necessary because Red Dead Redemption was the pinnacle of video game graphics and they wouldn't look any better nor was better hardware needed for anything.

Also some PSX magazine back in the day where in their letters section someone asked if games would ever look as good as the RE2 CGI cutscenes and the guy replied that it would never happen.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Requoting this to say lol

They're 100% right.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In Training posted:

They're 100% right.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

*struggling really hard to think why every small development team of the modern era still utilizes 2 dimensional graphics or low poly graphics*

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

if you don't think the psx-era was a flourishing of weird experimentation then that's just crazy dude

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Still looks good, although the shoulder joints of course do not hold up lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

if you don't think the psx-era was a flourishing of weird experimentation then that's just crazy dude

It's no Sega Dreamcast.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Remember that period in the mid 90s when dumbasses thought sprites were passé but 3D was The Future resulting in some great games such as Mischief Makers, Tomba, and Symphony of the Night to sell poorly?

SOTN did not sell poorly, despite Sony of America trying to mothball production and pretend it didn't exist on launch. People still bought it en masse because it received pretty much universal praise and it was reprinted under the Greatest Hits banner.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My concern is that it looks busted as gently caress these days

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

*slams through wall* Tomba is such a good loving game!!!! Hell yeah!!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The dinosaurs in Dino Crisis look badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I still like how this game looks :shobon: I didn't like how the gamecube version looked in comparison

• Locked thread