Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Onmi posted:

What the gently caress.

The fangame scene is alive.

I hesitate to call it well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I have no idea what I just read, but I'm pretty sure I hate it.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The fangame scene is alive.

I hesitate to call it well.

At least it's entertaining in a new way. Like horrible Skyrim mods, Pokemon fangames will outdo themselves every now and then.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

How many people are saying they're not fans of Pokemon anymore only for them to start a fangame of it?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

BlackPersona posted:

How many people are saying they're not fans of Pokemon anymore only for them to start a fangame of it?

Most people assume that Game Freak are baby developers for Babies who don't know how to make a challenging, innovative, mature game. Ergo, they can do better, surely.

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

The irony being it's actually way harder to make a game that can have a thriving competitive scene and still be enjoyably completed by a nine year old than it is to make a balls to the wall romhack where the only way to beat every encounter is throw the same stinky cheese at it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Kewon's okay in my book.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Onmi posted:

What the gently caress.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Why are we here, OFS, just to suffer?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

drat TERFs, launching venomous barbs.

It's hard trying to come up with a distaff counterpart to Pokearchy. Not sure why.

It took me until now to get that Pokearchy joke, I kept thinking "Is there a huge meninist named Archie I'm unaware of?"

The only thing that keeps me thinking about doing my own fangame is the recurring evidence that it would be virtually impossible for me to do worse than these jackholes.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Achievement unlocked!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Dareon posted:

The only thing that keeps me thinking about doing my own fangame is the recurring evidence that it would be virtually impossible for me to do worse than these jackholes.
Maybe the act of making Pokemon fangames is cursed, and you'd be compelled to start inserting edgier and edgier plot beats as development went on. :ohdear:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Please tell me the creator of that game was, in fact, a black person.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Haifisch posted:

Maybe the act of making Pokemon fangames is cursed, and you'd be compelled to start inserting edgier and edgier plot beats as development went on. :ohdear:
Then we should be happy Uranium released when it did is what you're saying?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Some Numbers posted:

I have no idea what I just read, but I'm pretty sure I hate it.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Then we should be happy Uranium released when it did is what you're saying?

Wasn't Uranium the one fangame to actually go down with the edge? I think at some point it was downright said that your dead mom was actually the mutant boss Pokemon going on a rampage throught the region, but when OFS did his LP I don't remember that being one of the plot points.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kikas posted:

Wasn't Uranium the one fangame to actually go down with the edge? I think at some point it was downright said that your dead mom was actually the mutant boss Pokemon going on a rampage throught the region, but when OFS did his LP I don't remember that being one of the plot points.

I think that was speculation from the thread, but then your dead mom was actually the evil terrorism trainer controlling the mutant boss pokemon, so potato potahtoe.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Also gently caress Corey over there on the right.

Yeah gently caress you Corey

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

On our way to starter Pokemon, Michael informs us they're all gone.
Sky Williams? Is that you?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

I think that was speculation from the thread, but then your dead mom was actually the evil terrorism trainer controlling the mutant boss pokemon, so potato potahtoe.

The thing is, I don't remember it from the thread, I remember it from reading on the game on /vp/. Which might have had inaccurate info, but drat I wish someone could confirm weather this was changed or not.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

No idea on Reborn or anything else, but yeah, Uranium's villain was Chekhov's Dead Mom from the intro, and she even quoted Oppenheimer.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

How do these keep getting worse? :psyduck:

I only got about this far, before I got bored.

In fairness, I guess the warning was specifically "don't play if you don't want to see black people", not "don't play if you're racist"?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

this series for children is too kid friendly for me because im so edgy and cool

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Explopyro posted:

How do these keep getting worse? :psyduck:

In fairness, I guess the warning was specifically "don't play if you don't want to see black people", not "don't play if you're racist"?

I don't think there's really a difference.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Press and hold A+B and manipulate the D-Pad to pay respects

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
why are you doing this

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Conspiracy is hella generous about TMs, at least.
This already makes Conspiracy a less terrible game than Reborn. We discussed earlier in the thread that TM/tutor moves are one of the solutions to just level grinding because you can't beat an opponent, and all of those moves provide much-needed type coverage or expand your options for how to deal with said tough opponents. In order for each one:

1) Aerial Ace never misses, allowing you to take out Double Team users or other hard to hit Pokemon (Sand-attack spammers). It's also a nice coverage move with a fairly wide distribution, including just about all the starters and Route 1 (or equivalent) Pokemon.

2) Charge Beam/Power-Up Punch are setup moves that also do a small amount of damage, allowing you to set up for a sweep. Can't get through a certain Pokemon at your current strength? Set up to +2 or +3 with these moves and one-shot your formerly tough opponent. Reborn's Pulse Pokemon would be less of a wall if your team had easy access to these moves, for example.

3) Incinerate burns up berries and as of the current gen is now 60 Base Power, making it a decently powerful Fire move early in the game. Also has decent distribution, including some fun oddities like Slowpoke and Remoraid.

4) Shadow Claw is 70 Base Power move with a high critical hit rate, and provides useful coverage to early-game Normal types like Meowth, Sentret, Aipom, Teddiursa, Zigzagoon, etc that sometimes struggle to deal with Ghost and Steel types. It's also a nice coverage move for Drilbur, the Nidorans, Aron, Bewear, and a whole bunch of the regular starters. Oh, and Honedge with STAB Shadow Claw is a thing of beauty.

5) Retaliate is likewise a nice 70 Base Power move with wide distribution, and it's pretty much a guaranteed KO whenever you start to struggle, since it jumps to 140 power if your opponent just KO'd one of your Pokemon.

Oh, and "hella generous about TMs" is really just "gives the player TMs at the same rate a regular Pokemon game does". TM stinginess is one of the go-to strategies for ROMhacks to artificially up the difficulty.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Pokemon Conspiracy uses the official shiny colors, so,

lovely lime-green Espeon, how I missed you!

But it does have a lot of sprites of stuff that isn't used, not even defined in the script that handles alternate forms.

Mega evolutions for the Johto starters. Well, two of them look Mega evolved, Feraligatr just put dumb jorts on.

A similar special form for Milotic. The sinister colors on the shiny make me wonder what its use would be.

Some sort of Guren Lagann-based special form for Golurk.

A centaur form for Bisharp. Unsurprising, since the first champion of Conspiracy's region (Zylon or something?) used a Bisharp.

Armored Zekrom. Reshiram and Kyurem don't have any added forms.

Shadow Keldeo, the only specifically shadow pokemon in the list.

Some of the audio is, um, "borrowed" from other games. The school's infirmary uses Save Hut from Kirby Super Star and the only victory theme is from Final Fantasy 7,

Just wanted you to know.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Those Johto starters are pretty messy but I actually quite like the others. It genuinely makes me wonder why Zekrom has a new form but the other two don't though. And I'd totally use centaur Bisharp and Golurk-Lagann.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Those Johto starters are pretty messy but I actually quite like the others. It genuinely makes me wonder why Zekrom has a new form but the other two don't though. And I'd totally use centaur Bisharp and Golurk-Lagann.

It's because all of those Mega's are from other fan games/free to find on the net. well older versions.

https://wiki.p-insurgence.com/Mega_Evolution

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... they used the Final Fantasy victory music? An extremely recognizable track from one of the most famous JRPG series in existence?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Zereth posted:

... they used the Final Fantasy victory music? An extremely recognizable track from one of the most famous JRPG series in existence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AALVjklpxo

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
A fan poke with the ability "Hubris" is just so perfect for this thread.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Zereth posted:

Finding music people in fangame communities is not an easy feat. It's the ultimate goal to have original compositions but well... I don't fault anyone for not. I still think it's silly to use an FF song though. The only time I considered that was Battle on the Big Bridge for Chapter 14... which is a battle on a big bridge, so for comedy purposes. But I've decided against that now.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
That mega Typhlosion is pretty cool actually, not at all surprised that it's "borrowed".

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

MelvinBison posted:

A fan poke with the ability "Hubris" is just so perfect for this thread.

Apparently it's Moxie's special counterpart. So it also probably busts the game which is also perfect for the thread.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Onmi posted:

Finding music people in fangame communities is not an easy feat. It's the ultimate goal to have original compositions but well... I don't fault anyone for not. I still think it's silly to use an FF song though. The only time I considered that was Battle on the Big Bridge for Chapter 14... which is a battle on a big bridge, so for comedy purposes. But I've decided against that now.

Yeah I've never really thought it was odd for fangames and romhacks to just bring in music from other titles, though ideally they fit the rest of the tracklist.

I mean it's not like these are being sold (...ideally) and they're already using a ton of other resources and ip so its like...why not?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

As someone trying to sort through generic JRPG sounding music for a Fire Emblem hack, it's really hard to find suitable stuff that isn't already from another game of some kind. Especially when it's all midi stuff and only the most popular game series have midi soundtrack ports available. So I can't blame them entirely for using songs from other games and series. But it is a little on the nose that they're using the extremely well-known FF victory theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

That Typhlosion looks like it's inspired by Endeavor from My Hero Academia