Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
poo poo for the dole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
poostart hehe

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

blindidiotgod posted:

Reroute all that mail to Coogee, just in time for the dessert special.

:itwaspoo:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
postool system

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

snoremac posted:

How long before people need to mail their poo poo to Centrelink?

You mean I wasn't meant to be doing that already?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-18/kristen-moriarty-charge-attempted-murder-bringelly-home-invasion/10008388

What's being done about white people and all their home invasions Turnbull.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

We're making the dole both harder to get and harder to spend so they'll increase.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
A federal Liberal MP has stunned his colleagues by arguing that Russian crimes should be “slightly looked over” despite a bitter rebuke to Russian president Vladimir Putin from an Australian father whose three children died in the downing of Malaysian Airlines flight MH17.

Liberal backbencher Craig Kelly triggered outrage by declaring that “nothing that happens” could bring back the 298 victims of the missile attack on the passenger airline over Ukraine four years ago and it was best to focus on improving relations with Russia.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-18/deliveroo-loses-worker-contracts-cock-up-or-conspiracy/10004028

quote:

Deliveroo has admitted to losing some of its workers' contracts and has threatened to suspend some of them from getting future work on its app.
The food delivery company sent an email to its riders last Friday, admitting it is "not currently able" to locate a record of the agreements they signed.
It then gave the delivery riders these options:
  • If the rider kept a copy of their contract, they need to "upload it as soon as possible", or
  • Sign a new agreement if the rider is unable to find it.
The company's email sets out dire consequences for riders who do not comply with either option by July 20:
"If we have not received a valid signed supplier agreement within the next seven days, your account will be considered non-compliant and your access to the Deliveroo platform will be suspended."

On Wednesday, Deliveroo's spokeswoman said in a written statement: "We have contacted a handful of riders as part of a rider documentation audit, ensuring no discrepancy between paper and online records.
"Deliveroo takes efforts to ensure we have up-to-date records of riders' details. Riders' details are at all times safely secured."
The company's response appears to suggest it still has copies of the workers' contracts — in either paper or electronic format.
The ABC has written back to Deliveroo, seeking clarification on why it requires workers to sign new contracts in that case.
"It's a little bit puzzling, given that Deliveroo is an online platform, that it doesn't apparently retain copies of contracts it executes with its riders," said Josh Bornstein, head of employment law at Maurice Blackburn.
Mr Borstein explained that it is unusual for employers to lose their workers' contracts.
"It's difficult to know what's motivating Deliveroo — is this a conspiracy to make unfavourable alterations to the contract ... or just a cock-up at its head office?
"Threatening to effectively terminate the relationship because they can't find the contract is extreme, but perhaps not by gig economy standards."

Deliveroo also wrote in its email that signing a new contract "will not change the delivery fee you receive ... or any additional incentives offered".
But then it said: "As you know, additional incentives change regularly".
The company also claimed the new contract "reflects the nature of your current relationship with Deliveroo" — even though it cannot locate the legal document setting out that relationship and its terms.

Deliveroo does not pay its riders an hourly wage. Instead, it pays bicycle riders $9 per delivery, and motorcycle riders $10 per delivery.
The ABC was contacted by Deliveroo rider Aaron (not his real name) — who has doubts about the company's motivations based on its vague email to workers:
"Why are they unable to locate my contract — is it poor record keeping on their end?" Aaron asked.
"If so, why are the riders suffering the consequences of Deliveroo's sloppy record keeping practises?
"The implication is effectively that if we fail to sign a new, unfairer contract, we will get fired.
"In any event, seven days is not enough time to impose a deadline of this nature."
The Transport Workers Union (TWU) has told the ABC that it was also contacted by Deliveroo riders regarding the "missing contracts" email.
"By making demands regarding contracts and clauses they want to demonstrate that they owe their workers nothing, not even a minimum wage," said TWU national secretary Tony Sheldon.
"These companies want full flexibility with their staff but take no responsibility.
"This is a charade. If you are a contractor or an employee you should have rights."

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Australia’s richest person, mining magnate Gina Rinehart, has been revealed as a key funder of the right wing think tank the Institute of Public Affairs (IPA) – a major pusher of climate science denial.
Rinehart’s company, Hancock Prospecting Proprietary Ltd (HPPL), donated $2.3m to the IPA in 2016 and $2.2m in 2017, according to disclosures made to the New South Wales Supreme Court.
As part of a long-running legal dispute over the use of company funds, Gina Rinehart’s daughter Bianca had served a subpoena to access documents that would have shed light on the two donations from HPPL to the IPA.
The IPA is an influential right wing think tank with close ties to Australia’s governing Liberal Party.  IPA fellows regularly appear in the media. The payments suggest that more than a third of the IPA’s income in 2016 and 2017 was from HPPL – majority-owned privately by Gina Rinehart.

DESMOG

CLEARING THE PR POLLUTION THAT CLOUDS CLIMATE SCIENCE

Billionaire Mining Magnate Gina Rinehart Revealed As Key Donor to Australian Climate Science Denial Promoter Institute of Public Affairs

Read time: 5 mins
Graham Readfearn | July 17, 2018

Australia’s richest person, mining magnate Gina Rinehart, has been revealed as a key funder of the right wing think tank the Institute of Public Affairs (IPA) – a major pusher of climate science denial.
Rinehart’s company, Hancock Prospecting Proprietary Ltd (HPPL), donated $2.3m to the IPA in 2016 and $2.2m in 2017, according to disclosures made to the New South Wales Supreme Court.
As part of a long-running legal dispute over the use of company funds, Gina Rinehart’s daughter Bianca had served a subpoena to access documents that would have shed light on the two donations from HPPL to the IPA.
The IPA is an influential right wing think tank with close ties to Australia’s governing Liberal Party.  IPA fellows regularly appear in the media. The payments suggest that more than a third of the IPA’s income in 2016 and 2017 was from HPPL – majority-owned privately by Gina Rinehart.
According to Forbes, Rinehart was the seventh richest woman in the world in 2017 and Australia’s richest person, with current wealth estimated to be $17.6 billion.
The IPA is a registered charity but is not legally required to disclose its funders and has declined to reveal them in recent years, citing concerns that donors could be “intimidated”.
According to the court judgement, Bianca’s solicitors had been provided with a schedule of “donations and sponsorships” from HPPL where it was disclosed, the judgement said, “that HPPLpaid or provided amounts to IPA in a total of $2.3 million for the 2016 financial year and $2.2 million in the 2017 financial year.”
The donations also raise questions about the way the IPA has disclosed the nature of its revenues. 
The IPA's 2017 annual report declared $6.1m of income but said that “86 per cent” had come from individuals. HPPL’s $2.2m donation constituted more than a third of the IPA’s income that year.
In 2016, the IPA reported that 91 per cent of donations were from individuals, but that year HPPL’s $2.3m donation constituted almost half the IPA's income of $4.96m that year.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

[quote="JUDITH SLOAN

Contributing Economics Editor

Judith Sloan is an economist and company director. She holds degrees from the University of Melbourne and the London School of Economics. She has held a number of government appointments, including Commissioner of the Productivity Commission; Commissioner of the Australian Fair Pay Commission; and Deputy Chairman of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

"]
Wayne Swan’s bizarre speech to a largely irrelevant ACTU

It’s really hard to believe Wayne Swan was once treasurer.

OK, he was hopeless, but he did hold the position for a number of years. He doesn’t seem to have the faintest clue about how the economy operates, the role of private business or how wages are set.

Yesterday, he delivered a bizarre speech to the ACTU Congress in Brisbane. He spoke as the president of the Australian Labor Party. The whole speech, slides and all, was a lame attack on what he calls ‘‘trickle-down economics’’.

Talk about a straw man — or should that be straw person? — because no sensible economist has ever used the term ‘‘trickle-down economics’’, a point noted by renowned US economist Thomas Sowell.

Here’s the thing, Wayne, it’s best to get your facts straight. The extent of income inequality in Australia has been essentially unchanged for the past 15 years.

After taking into account taxes and transfers, incomes in Australia are much more equal than in many other developed economies. When it comes to low wage growth, we should not think that Australia is alone. Wage growth in this country, at about 2 per cent a year, is actually higher than a number of other developed economies.

And low wage growth has emerged across a large range of wage-setting arrangements. Ironically, it is the US, with its largely deregulated labour market, where wage growth has begun to pick up.

This is one reason the Change the Rules! campaign waged by the ACTU is so pointless. There are systemic reasons why wages are growing slowly, including sluggish productivity growth and the growing dominance of the services sector.

A Labor government might alter provisions of the Fair Work Act but it is unlikely to make much difference. This is not to deny the economic damage some rule changes could have on industries and firms.

The reality is trade unions are political bodies that warehouse officials before they enter parliament or influence who enters parliament. With less than 15 per cent of the workforce signed up, there is no reason to regard them differently from the RSL, CWA or a Rotary club.

[/quote]

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

:shrek:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Anidav posted:

There are systemic reasons why wages are growing slowly, including sluggish productivity growth

Quick, someone post the productivity growth vs wage growth graph.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Anidav posted:

It’s really hard to believe Wayne Swan was once treasurer.

OK, he was hopeless, but he did hold the position for a number of years. He doesn’t seem to have the faintest clue about how the economy operates, the role of private business or how wages are set.

Counterpoint:

ABC News Article from 2011 posted:

Treasurer Wayne Swan has been awarded the prestigious finance minister of the year award for his handling of the Australian economy.

The award is judged by leading European banking and finance magazine Euromoney on advice from global bankers and investors.

Who to believe!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I wouldn't trust Judith Sloan to tell me the correct time, let alone something to do with financing, no matter what qualifications she has.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

The man who got us through the GFC without a recession is a bad treasurer. Righto.

The author of this piece is a loving idiot. Was this filed as an opinion piece or as news?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dude McAwesome posted:

The man who got us through the GFC without a recession is a bad treasurer. Righto.

The author of this piece is a loving idiot. Was this filed as an opinion piece or as news?

It's News Corpse what do you think?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

quote:

And low wage growth has emerged across a large range of wage-setting arrangements. Ironically, it is the US, with its largely deregulated labour market, where wage growth has begun to pick up.
Hahaha what the gently caress?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

An idiot posted:

After taking into account taxes and transfers, incomes in Australia are much more equal than in many other developed economies. When it comes to low wage growth, we should not think that Australia is alone. Wage growth in this country, at about 2 per cent a year, is actually higher than a number of other developed economies.

Man look at this poo poo.

Stabbings of the poor by the rich are actually equivalent in Australia to many other developed countries, what are you whinging about!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Hahaha what the gently caress?

It's not like the media is going to challenge a bold faced lie, so why not?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Spot where it has "begun to pick up".

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Dude McAwesome posted:

She's one of the catallaxy crowd, they think they are special. The IPA aren't the only ones sucking down the trough provided by rich people looking for mouthpieces. See also Sinclair Davidson.

A trenchant (great word) review of Murphy's On Disruption. You should read the whole thing (particularly for the illustrative tweets which I left out), but this section makes a relevant point:

quote:

The key theme that Murphy explores is that the internet and social media instituted a period of disruption that has unsettled the news media and left it in a state of uncertainty that persists today.

This is true enough, but my criticism stems from the technological determinism that frames her view:

quote:

‘… the boss has decreed this is the future, not because he or she necessarily wants it to be, but because it is the future, and we are powerless to argue with it.’

This is a classic trope of technological determinism: the belief that technological change is the root cause of everything. In this case, it is the pessimistic, and ultimately passive, view that the future is somehow pre-ordained by the technology and that we are “powerless” to shape the future for ourselves.

Inevitably, Murphy argues, journalists must adapt to the new ways, rather than challenge them. The second telling point about the quote I’ve used here is the reference to “the boss”. This metaphorical figure is present in a long anecdotal metaphor that Murphy uses to explain how disruption has affected the news industry.

The analogy involves substituting the car industry for journalism. In the analogy, the reader is asked to imagine themselves as a worker in a car factory that is confronting technological change. Okay, it’s only a metaphor, so perhaps not be taken literally, but it is a key section of the first half of Murphy’s argument, so it is worth deconstructing.

Murphy begins by suggesting that the car analogy is ‘possibly psychic penance on my part’ for her previous work on ‘structural adjustment’, which emphasised ‘disruption as an economic homily’ while ignoring ‘the human dimension of the story’. As Murphy acknowledges, when there is personal interest involved, the human dimension suddenly becomes very real.

The take-away from this is that the structural adjustment process now being applied to journalism is a necessary corrective brought about by digital disruption.

However, I can’t ignore the use of the term “structural adjustment”, which is neoliberal parlance for destroying the status quo in pursuit of super profits and often used by the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund.

From the Global Issues website, ‘Structural Adjustment — a Major Cause of Poverty‘:

quote:

Following an ideology known as neoliberalism and spearheaded by these and other institutions known as the Washington Consensus (for being based in Washington D.C.), Structural Adjustment Policies (SAPs) have been imposed to ensure debt repayment and economic restructuring. But the way it has happened has required poor countries to reduce spending on things like health, education and development, while debt repayment and other economic policies have been made the priority. In effect, the IMF and World Bank have demanded that poor nations lower the standard of living of their people.
Of course, if you are only responding to the demands imposed by technology, there is no point in resisting or arguing for an alternative approach. As a car worker – or journalist, if we move beyond the laboured metaphor – you can only suck it up and get on with the job.

Of course the boss isn't a victim of this at all, but this kind of view lets them off the hook far too easily, as

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ewe2 posted:

She's one of the catallaxy crowd, they think they are special. The IPA aren't the only one's sucking down the trough provided by rich people looking for mouthpieces. See also Sinclair Davidson.
Sinky joined the IPA too.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lid posted:

A federal Liberal MP has stunned his colleagues by arguing that Russian crimes should be “slightly looked over” despite a bitter rebuke to Russian president Vladimir Putin from an Australian father whose three children died in the downing of Malaysian Airlines flight MH17.

Liberal backbencher Craig Kelly triggered outrage by declaring that “nothing that happens” could bring back the 298 victims of the missile attack on the passenger airline over Ukraine four years ago and it was best to focus on improving relations with Russia.

Oh goody now our right wingers are going to start openly conspiring with foreign powers against their domestic enemies too

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Dear Robert Mueller, please set an example that makes western right wingers fear at least eventual repercussions for undermining democracy.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I imagine currently being on terrorism charges might raise a flag on the VISA application

https://mobile.twitter.com/jrhennessy/status/1019752070436433920

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Hosted by Dave Hughes? How disgusting.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The Peccadillo posted:

I imagine currently being on terrorism charges might raise a flag on the VISA application

He's a white dude that called in a bomb threat to terrorise a woman he'd abused, they're probably just skipping the VISA and expediting him for citizenship

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Afterpay on the ASX is going to be Australia's tech darling stock holy poo poo

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Peccadillo posted:

Looked him up, all the recent stories were about him being a bully on set and then hello, faked a bomb threat on a train what a fucko

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

The Peccadillo posted:

I would pay good money to watch Bill Bailey beat up T J Miller

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Anidav posted:

Afterpay on the ASX is going to be Australia's tech darling stock holy poo poo

Of course it's a predatory lending scene with technology.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
I imagine Greg Proops would have a lot to say about having him on the bill

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

GoldStandardConure posted:

This but with Henry Rollins too, to really kick the poo poo out of him.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Looked him up, all the recent stories were about him being a bully on set and then hello, faked a bomb threat on a train what a fucko

Also savagely beat and raped a woman in university

Also two trains! He got the woman's train number wrong while he was bomb threatening.

Just the worst dude. He got a chunk of malformed brain removed while he was shooting Yogi Bear, but it doesn't seem to have worked

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

His weird PR apology was nuts, he pulled one of those "I am not proud of my past and it is not who I am here is a picture of me with my wife" ones. Those don't even get any traction with gropers and the guy beat his girlfriend's teeth out of her head while he asaulted her

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-19/mh17-liberal-mp-craig-kelly-apologises-for-comments-on-russia/10011598 posted:

He said he "unreservedly apologised" for any distress he caused to the families of those who died.

But he insisted in all the interviews that his original comments had been taken out of context and twisted by his political opponents.

"I'd also say it's very disappointing that some people have taken political advantage by taking those comments out of context, and have also caused additional harm to those families," he said.

He also repeatedly said he stood by his argument that it would have been pointless for Mr Trump to publicly harangue Mr Putin about Russia's role in the crime during their meeting in Helsinki.

"As much it galls us and as much as I myself would like to shirtfront President Putin … the reality of the world is that we need the US and Russia, the presidents of both countries, to have a good relationship."
American traitors have been doing this one too. Anybody not in on it is accused of nuclear brinkmanship, "Durr I just want peace why do you want a war with russia??"

Anyway this was probably a trial balloon to see how receptible it is to the public. Given the reaction they'll all make disapproving noises and try again in a couple of months

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Peccadillo posted:

Also savagely beat and raped a woman in university

Also two trains! He got the woman's train number wrong while he was bomb threatening.

Just the worst dude. He got a chunk of malformed brain removed while he was shooting Yogi Bear, but it doesn't seem to have worked

Woah, missed that first bit. gently caress this guy forever

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

This is the way to do bus strikes. Given they've striked for two days in the past two weeks already they risk turning the public against them. This will be more effective towards the company. Still gotta pay to run the buses instead of having them parked up for a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

GoldStandardConure posted:

God knows what Colin Mochrie will do to him.

• Locked thread