Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Trump and Erdogan will get out of NATO, and then build a new alliance with Putin, Duterte, and Kim Jung-un.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Trump and Erdogan will get out of NATO, and then build a new alliance with Putin, Duterte, and Kim Jung-un.

I mean, I legit wouldn’t rule this out, insane as it is.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, I legit wouldn’t rule this out, insane as it is.
It would probably be more useful than NATO.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Do what things the right way? What is he referring to, becoming al Qaeda's air force? Purging the military?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Do what things the right way? What is he referring to, becoming al Qaeda's air force? Purging the military?

Scapegoating an ethnic minority to secure power.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Throatwarbler posted:

Locking up non-compliant journalists in jail for terrorism charges maybe. Prolly far more important given Trump's media hissy fits.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Erdogan finally getting the fist bump he's been craving.

https://twitter.com/CBSThisMorning/...%3D3183%23pti21

Terrorist fist bump!

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Throatwarbler posted:

Destroying the press.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Erdogan finally getting the fist bump he's been craving.

https://twitter.com/CBSThisMorning/...%3D3183%23pti21

Shame recognize shame.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
shades of 2011

https://twitter.com/BabakTaghvaee/status/1018955492197126146

https://twitter.com/BaxtiyarGoran/status/1018825874081239040

HorrificExistence fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 17, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It would probably be more useful than NATO.

Define ‘use’.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Darth Walrus posted:

Define ‘use’.
I bet North Korea has more functional combat aircraft than all of Western Europe.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Bilesa_Shaweys/status/1018985538878164993

still no mainstream coverage

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The lack of media attention is loving disgraceful.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/BaxtiyarGoran/status/1019185523548663809

:yikes:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lol it only took iraq 15 years to start running down civilians with tanks again

In other knews as predicted isis is trying to thwart the peacetalks the taliban have raised.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

It doesn't look like anyone got hit there. The gunshots audible in the background I think are more worrying.

Are any Iraqi politicians or parties being targeted? Abadi, or maybe Sadr? Or is this more at a local level?

And how much of these problems are Iran's fault? I see at least some of the protestors are anti-Iran and against their militias as well. What sort of influence does Iran have here?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
This is, so far, the least lovely summary of events I've read: http://www.middleeasteye.net/columns/whats-behind-iraqs-basra-protests-1898152657

Click through for a few embedded links I don't have the time to recreate in BBcode

quote:

Since then the discontent in Basra has been building up. Basra was one of the cities that took part in anti-government protests in the summer of 2015 over corruption in the government, unemployment, and lack of services, particularly salinity in the water, water shortages, and frequent power cuts. Those are the exact same demands articulated over the last week.

Iraqi religious leader Muqtada Sadr rode the 2015 wave of discontent, securing an electoral victory for his coalition, Al-Sairoun (The Marchers) in May. Yet unlike 2015, Iraq does not have a government to deal with these issues.

Iranian pressure

The demonstration was initially sparked by electricity shortages in Basra, after Iran, which provides 1,200 megawatts of electricity to the area, decreased the supply.

The reason might not be failure of the electric grid, but a more subtle side effect of the actions of the Trump administration. Iran's decrease of electricity to Iraq serves as a mean to pressure the Iraqi government over payments for its energy, a process which has become more complicated due to American sanctions against the Islamic Republic. (my note: lmfao of loving course)

Al-Abadi arrived in Basra on 13 July to hear the protesters' demands. The following day would have marked the 60th anniversary of "The 14 July Revolution". the Iraqi coup/revolution which took place in 1958, establishing Iraq’s republic.

The month of July is searing hot and it is no surprise that Iraqis took to the street, whether it was in the days before air conditioning in 1958, or when it fails in 2018 due to a lack of electricity.

The protesters over the last week blocked access to Iraq's oil fields in West Qurna, leading to the evacuation of the foreign staff of Exxon-Mobil, PetroChina and Lukoil, threatening to reduce the state's oil output.

The situation in Basra is reminiscent of the Niger Delta; both regions are abundant in hydrocarbons, yet do not enjoy the largesse of this energy source. Instead they suffer the environmental degradation caused by exploiting oil and gas, including air and water pollution, and rarely are the locals in either area employed in the industry, while the capital city and its political class reap all the benefits.

This paradox, where areas rich in oil often suffer as a result, is referred to as the "resource curse", and it would be fair to say Basra is cursed.

A chapter on Iraq I wrote for a book, entitled Public Brainpower: Civil Society and Natural Resource Management, examined how civil society, public debate and freedom of speech affect the management of natural resources, or how to essentially mitigate against this curse.

In the case of Basra, the civil society actors include leading members of the local tribes. Tribal institutions have used their own mechanisms of honour, reconciliation and reintegration when the Iraqi justice system has failed. Or in some cases tribe and the state became hybrid institutions.

For example, Sheikh Ya’arab al-Mohammadawi is a tribal leader and the chairman of the dispute resolution committee on Basra's provincial council.

The protests in Basra are part of a conflict between the periphery and capital, between the government and oil companies on one hand, and the Basra region, on the other. Dhurgham Al-Maliki, sheikh of the Bani Malik tribe, and Muzahim al-Tamimi, sheikh of the Bani Tamim, two of Basra's largest tribes, have emerged as the representatives of the protesters.

Al-Tamimi published a statement on his Facebook page calling on the prime minister to address the people of Basra directly. Via post-modern means, the leader of a pre-modern entity summed up the issues: 1) oil corporations need to address unemployment, 2) Basra needs infrastructure including a reliable power station and a desalination plant.

Hussam Abulhil, a leader of the Bani Mansour tribe to which the slain 30-year-old protester belonged, demanded his killer face justice and called for the sacking of Basra's security chief. The tribal sheikhs are not only demanding justice, but also seeking to maintain their control of patronage networks among their members. Delivering jobs is one way they cement patronage.

The oil corporations in Basra will have to rethink their corporate social responsibility strategies in order to address the protest demands.

Finally, while al-Abadi fulfilled the protesters' demands to meet with them in person, the task of delivering promises will be more daunting as it is uncertain if he will become prime minister. Until that is resolved, there is no government to implement the protesters' demands

A good old fashioned resource curse on the local level, with a mix of tribal politics and institutional graft, and Iranian energy concerns putting the screws to Basrans because they're short of capital now that sanctions are back in effect. Great. Good. Awesome. Cool.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Count Roland posted:

Are any Iraqi politicians or parties being targeted? Abadi, or maybe Sadr? Or is this more at a local level?

All of them, really. Dawa is bearing the brunt of it since they've run Iraq for the last 15 years, and people being fed up with them is the key reason voter turnout was so low and Sadr did so well among those who did show up in the last election. But nobody has really been exempt. A wide variety of political offices have been attacked since the protests broke out. PMU offices have been targeted as well. They don't seem to be rallying around anything that I've seen. Just against the Iraqi government as it exists and has existed for the last several years.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Man, if the Iraqi police showed a 1/10th of the heart defending against ISIS as they do shooting protestors the last few years would have been a lot more peaceful.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

pro starcraft loser posted:

Man, if the Iraqi police showed a 1/10th of the heart defending against ISIS as they do shooting protestors the last few years would have been a lot more peaceful.

It is a lot easier to shoot at/over a bunch of unarmed people out to protest than it is to shoot at armed people who can shoot back, particularly the ones who set out to kill you. Look back at how brazenly the military and police were attacking civilians at the beginning of the Libyan and Syrian revolutions versus how they ended up cautiously fortifying themselves a few months later when shooting started going both ways.

Also, the Iraqi army and police are in better shape due to the conflict with ISIS forcing some issues to be addressed.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 18, 2018

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Warbadger posted:

It is a lot easier to shoot at/over a bunch of unarmed people out to protest than it is to shoot at armed people who can shoot back, particularly the ones who set out to kill you. Look back at how brazenly the military and police were attacking civilians at the beginning of the Libyan and Syrian revolutions versus how they ended up cautiously fortifying themselves a few months later when shooting started going both ways.

Also, the Iraqi army and police are in better shape due to the conflict with ISIS forcing some issues to be addressed.

Little more seasoned, and a little more violent and a lot more fearful of another national identity crisis the iraqi security forces will shoot anyone.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Idk if heart is the right word for it, but I certainly hope the Iraqi security forces don't use even 1/10th of the ferocity against the protesters that they ended up showing against ISIS.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I think I'm just letting my imagination run wild, but I feel nervous someone might try and use these protests as as pretext for a coup. The low participation rate in the election was a sign of weakened legitimacy for the government, now with the protests anyone ambitious enough can lean on the pretext of restoring order, or purging the corrupt parasites.

There's so many different armed groups that could make a play too. Maybe someone worried they're about to get cut out of the patronage once the Sadrists are in charge? Probably they'll make concessions of some sort and it will all settle down. Probably. . .

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Squalid posted:

I think I'm just letting my imagination run wild, but I feel nervous someone might try and use these protests as as pretext for a coup. The low participation rate in the election was a sign of weakened legitimacy for the government, now with the protests anyone ambitious enough can lean on the pretext of restoring order, or purging the corrupt parasites.

There's so many different armed groups that could make a play too. Maybe someone worried they're about to get cut out of the patronage once the Sadrists are in charge? Probably they'll make concessions of some sort and it will all settle down. Probably. . .

https://twitter.com/AlSuraEnglish/status/1019184937730076672

we'll see, they might have too many martyrs

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I certainly hope the Iraqi security forces don't use even 1/10th of the ferocity against the protesters that they ended up showing against ISIS.

too late

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Squalid posted:

I took it a bit further, and was wondering if the protests were being encouraged to make a coup easier. Yes the protestors have legitimate grievances, but the general lawlessness makes good cover for other actions, or could be justification for action against the ineffective government. Since the government itself is still being formed after the election, it would be particularly difficult to mount a coherent response to clever coup-plotters.

Not like I have any evidence of this, but the dearth of reporting on the protests let's the mind run wild.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

They're like 100,000 dead people short. The battles for Raqqa and Mosul were unbelievably savage.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

They're like 100,000 dead people short. The battles for Raqqa and Mosul were unbelievably savage.

'ferocity' in my mind is less about the body count and more about the enthusiasm and joie-de-vivre displayed by the murderers

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Saladman posted:

Let's say you live in California, and suddenly you had an influx of 50 million Alabamans and Mississippians flood into your state. You probably would stop giving a poo poo about terminology and a lot more of a poo poo about rising prices, lowered wages, difficulty of finding jobs, homes, and the eventual militias that the southerners would set up to harass you.

Yeah there's justice and humanitarianism, but at some point you have to actually care about your own life over that of others. Lebanon has been well more than generous to its neighbors (and taken advantage of by its neighbors), and it has suffered for it. Hard to say how much of that is due to its generosity and how much of that is due to what was forced upon it, of course.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Well, the OP seems to be comparing a flood of 25% of the population in refugees in a war-torn country to a trickle of less than 0.1% of the population. It's big in its own terms, but we're talking hundreds of thousands of people seeking refuge in a country with hundreds of millions of people.

fishmech posted:

Over the course of the late 1920s into the late 1930s and a bit earlier, nearly 3.5 million people from the area around and including Oklahoma fled to California and another few million to states around California. The population of California was only 3,426,861 at the 1920 census.

So basically this already happened and people had to deal with it. And a huge proportion of the current California population is descended from that ~12 or so year period of migration, even though many ultimately moved back by the 60s.

Catching up with this thread but appreciated this bit of ownage. Nice job.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Some Iraqi activists are pushing for a nationwide protest campaign this Friday after prayers. We'll learn a lot about the scale and longevity of these protests then.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Count Roland posted:

I took it a bit further, and was wondering if the protests were being encouraged to make a coup easier. Yes the protestors have legitimate grievances, but the general lawlessness makes good cover for other actions, or could be justification for action against the ineffective government. Since the government itself is still being formed after the election, it would be particularly difficult to mount a coherent response to clever coup-plotters.

Not like I have any evidence of this, but the dearth of reporting on the protests let's the mind run wild.

Yeah I'm no expert on the area but at first I was all like "drat this feels putschy to me" . The subsequent news does feel like a more naturalistic protest though, especially with all parties being targeted.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Volkerball posted:

Some Iraqi activists are pushing for a nationwide protest campaign this Friday after prayers. We'll learn a lot about the scale and longevity of these protests then.

Hey maybe they'll get some news coverage then.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

10 dead iraqis are worth .001 of an american

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

i have heard about the protests sporadically for the last few days on national news outlets, but no real details outside of "there's a lot of protestors and they want jobs and poo poo". which is kind of par for the course in terms of american reporting on protests in other countries sadly enough

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

HorrificExistence posted:

10 dead iraqis are worth .001 of an american

What is that American is Puerto Rican?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
This has been covered for days on NPR, at least.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/SulomeAnderson/status/1020028657153257472

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Catching up with this thread but appreciated this bit of ownage. Nice job.

You missed the first post, which was about Lebanese distinguishing between "uncontrolled immigrants" vs "refugee" as if the distinction matters in the slightest to someone actually living on the ground, and the last post, "there was all sorts of measures against the various migrants [the Oakies in California], including things like campaigns to keep the kids out of local schools and all that." I read some other papers about it, e.g. DOI 10.2307/25462394 on SciHub that go into more detail about the societal and economic issues the mass influx caused, but in any case it's not a great comparison since California had far, far more space to accommodate people than does Lebanon (good luck finding unused land in Lebanon in 2015).

The primary point was that locals are always going to hate large influxes of refugees (as a % of people already living in the area) for real reasons, and not because they're frothing racists worried about Mexican rapists. To the locals already living in such a place, they don't care if it's going to work out socially and economically 15 years later—supposing it even does. They have to live their life when they're there and it doesn't really matter if there are more economic opportunities a generation later. In the short term a massive influx of people is going to increase rent prices, may increase the cost of food/other goods, and will put a strain on public resources like schools and hospitals, and this strain is going to disproportionately affect poorer locals. In Europe the fear of "large influxes" is bullshit, or in a few places like some of the Greek islands where it's not, it's due to political mismanagement, but in Lebanon it's a very real concern.

PMC4948691 posted:

The Syrian refugee influx in Lebanon has aggravated political, economic, and security challenges, impairing major drivers of economy, such as trade, banking, and tourism, and decreasing job opportunities as well as increasing the challenges of attaining the key Millennium Development Goals. Growth of the economy has tumbled with debt augmenting to 141% of growth domestic product (GDP) in 2013 and GDP growth decreasing from 10% in 2010 to 1% in 2014, and it is expected to increase just by 2% in 2015. Now, one in five Lebanese are unemployed with unemployment doubling to 34% and peaking at record rates as the labor force has increased by 50% since 2011, and one-third of young Lebanese laborers are unable to find work competing in a particularly intensified informal sector that contributes to more than 56% of total employment. It has become more difficult to even acquire jobs with low salaries, dramatically impacting labor market standards. These factors have exhausted public spending and have tested Lebanon’s economic, social, and political resilience. Furthermore, since 2011, Government and World Bank estimates reveal that the number of poor people presently living in Lebanon has increased by 170,000 – approximately a two-third fold reaching 2.1 million; of which, 336,000 are living with less than US$2.4 per day, which is under Lebanon’s lowest poverty line. Moreover, the rising demand and restricted supply of accommodation are contributing to soaring rental prices affecting poor Lebanese who are unable to cope with this rise, whereby a 44% increase in rents was reported between June 2012 and June 2013.

Keeping your neighbors safe is great and admirable, but most people are not going to accept their salary being cut significantly and the cost of living going up in order to help out their country's neighbors. Just because this concern is bullshit in Europe doesn't mean opposition to massive demographic influxes is fundamentally wrong, as it is largely a zero-sum game for countries like Jordan and Lebanon at least on the timescales that matter to an individual person (i.e. up to a decade maybe). It's very noble to keep your neighbor safe for 10 years but it's also very much NIMBY and almost anyone who thinks they're so altruistic that they would be willing to accept this — unemployment or underemployment, which also means no marriage prospects and a life kept on stasis — is lying to themselves or one of those very rare breed who actually care about the collective good over their own good. Not to mention, this will massively disproportionately affect the poorer people already livingin the regions. Lebanese that own apartments or run businesses are going to make bank since the rents are going up, good prices are going up, and the labor costs are going down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lebanon is super racist towards Syrian refugees tho.