Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Alakaiser posted:

That is not really that much different from US servers honestly.

Just replace the lalafels with cats/lizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by
a solid 50% of the elemental population are lalafells. I haven't seen a roe since transferring from aether.

edit: also male hyur are surprising common for some reason

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Brainamp posted:

Just replace the lalafels with cats/lizards.

On Aether at least, 4x catgirl dungeons are extremely common but I can probably count the number of times I've zoned in to see three potato teammates on one hand. Over the last 4+ years.

One day I'll join the mythical three duskwight lady party and then the game will truly end.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

super sweet best pal posted:

If it's just lowbie stuff you can safely sell. No one's going to buy that.

tell that to me selling squares of hq rubber for 8000 a piece on the mb

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rubber has always been funny to me. Not only can you buy it from multiple npc vendors for like 13 gil, but if you have access to a house or apartment (what crafter who can drop thousands of gil on base mats doesn't?) the merchant you can put in there sells it too. And it's such a low level component that HQ rubber contributes basically nothing at all to the quality bar on any craft where quality matters.

In other words, the people who buy rubber on the MB are legit dumb as hell. If you can make money selling to them, more power to you.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

pupuru posted:

playing a femroe on jp servers is a hell of a thing. Almost every dungeon start looks like this.

I have the same experience as an elezen. As that one comic points out, you feel like some parent dragging a bunch of kids through a dungeon like some tour guide.

Thundarr posted:

One day I'll join the mythical three duskwight lady party and then the game will truly end.

I met another duskwight lady in a dungeon once, and proceeded to roll 99 on the minion I wanted. I was truly blessed that day.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Thundarr posted:

On Aether at least, 4x catgirl dungeons are extremely common but I can probably count the number of times I've zoned in to see three potato teammates on one hand. Over the last 4+ years.

I occasionally party with a couple other duskladies for roulettes or whatever, so the day may come eventually! Now, if we wind up being randomly matched with another duskwight, then Yoshida will probably declare his grand experiment over.

no I won’t teach you the secret duskwight gold dance handshake

On this note, I realized last night that o have the tallest character in my static. No Roes/other Elezen/male Au Ra equals an awkward grey girl towering over the catboys, lalafells, and dragonwaifs. :iia:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

pupuru posted:

playing a femroe on jp servers is a hell of a thing. Almost every dungeon start looks like this.

I love dungeons when it's just Baby's Day Out: Group Mode

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Thundarr posted:

Rubber has always been funny to me. Not only can you buy it from multiple npc vendors for like 13 gil, but if you have access to a house or apartment (what crafter who can drop thousands of gil on base mats doesn't?) the merchant you can put in there sells it too. And it's such a low level component that HQ rubber contributes basically nothing at all to the quality bar on any craft where quality matters.

In other words, the people who buy rubber on the MB are legit dumb as hell. If you can make money selling to them, more power to you.

I haven't checked it (and don't care to either), but people buying HQ Silex is p lol. Love 2 stockpile silex.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Someone poking around in data apparently found this.

It doesn't necessarily mean anything now, especially since it points at a nonexistant code (it could just be an action for an NPC, or for a duty, or whatever), but on the other hand, this was how Samurai made its first appearance in the code (as a move for Gosetsu).

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Hogama posted:

It doesn't necessarily mean anything now, especially since it points at a nonexistant code (it could just be an action for an NPC, or for a duty, or whatever), but on the other hand, this was how Samurai made its first appearance in the code (as a move for Gosetsu).

The only real problem with a Blue Mage in the game is that one of their quintessential learned skills/actions (Mighty Guard) already exists as the Tank LB2, iirc.

Easily overcome but a bit of a bummer.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Yeah, considering bards used to have a healing LB and summoners used to cast Meteor, them shuffling the names around wouldn't be an issue. The bigger thing that sticks out to me is that they'd just leave something like that lying around, especially after they got so chuffed at people datamining samurai and red mage in the past.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Monathin posted:

The only real problem with a Blue Mage in the game is that one of their quintessential learned skills/actions (Mighty Guard) already exists as the Tank LB2, iirc.

Easily overcome but a bit of a bummer.

That's sad, since we're probably going to Garlemald I wanted Gunblader and Chemist.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

And Dancer as a tank.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Hogama posted:

Why would these sorts of code primitives have English names when the coders are presumably Japanese? Doesn't seem like the sort of thing you'd localize.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

jalapeno_dude posted:

Why would these sorts of code primitives have English names when the coders are presumably Japanese? Doesn't seem like the sort of thing you'd localize.

Depends if their Lua engine supports unicode variable names.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I can't speak much for squares Japanese game development, but I've seen plenty of EU business oriented code that's just in plain English since it's a common denominator for a lot of countries.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
On this alt character I don't really care much for advancing my rank in the GC and its hilarious throughout the Operation Archon stage of ARR Raubahn is constantly going "Ah yes, private!" This is the most talented person in the Blades, a Private :imunfunny:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
On consideration, it would be very internally consistent if FFXIV's incarnation of Blue Mage was associated with Garlemald. The essence of blue magic in the series has been recreating otherwise enemy-only attacks, and much of the Garlean efforts have been in making up for their natural inability to manipulate aether. Magitek, artificial Echo, the constant search for and adaptation of Allagan tech (the Ultima Weapon in particular was all about subjugating and harnessing a hostile power) - why not outright artificial spell/ability recreation? Also worth a mention that their magitek is mostly powered by ceruleum, which is blue.

Maybe they'd even be the gunblade wielders.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Hogama posted:

On consideration, it would be very internally consistent if FFXIV's incarnation of Blue Mage was associated with Garlemald. The essence of blue magic in the series has been recreating otherwise enemy-only attacks, and much of the Garlean efforts have been in making up for their natural inability to manipulate aether. Magitek, artificial Echo, the constant search for and adaptation of Allagan tech (the Ultima Weapon in particular was all about subjugating and harnessing a hostile power) - why not outright artificial spell/ability recreation? Also worth a mention that their magitek is mostly powered by ceruleum, which is blue.

I'm desperately hoping that Blue Mage is a tank. Their whole gig is getting hit with stuff for more power.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Hogama posted:

All Para-Magic must be manually drawn from enemies one at a time or refined from triple triad cards. :unsmigghh:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

apostateCourier posted:

I'm desperately hoping that Blue Mage is a tank. Their whole gig is getting hit with stuff for more power.

Same. PLD has a couple spells and DRK uses MP but we don't have a dedicated magetank.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Hell yeah, a magitek blue mage would be rad and something that I think hasn't been touched yet. Even better if it's a tank and drawing from the para-magic flavour of FF8. :getin:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I guess the weapon would be the gun-hammer as seen from a few characters.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Even better if my boy Nero is the quest giver.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
No, gently caress that poo poo. I want that magitek hammer for my Warrior, damnit! I've been lusting after that drat thing ever since Nero pulled it out way back when, and loving DRK keeps getting all the fun weapons.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Hogama posted:

Allagans also had a huge hard on for chimera and other hybridizations. The Ixal are a walking, sqwuaking, thriving product of theirs. And 11s incarnation of Blue Mages were people who got pumped full of monster blood infusions.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Skaw posted:

Allagans also had a huge hard on for chimera and other hybridizations. The Ixal are a walking, sqwuaking, thriving product of theirs. And 11s incarnation of Blue Mages were people who got pumped full of monster blood infusions.

So, magitek blue mage whose job quests mostly revolve around fighting monstrous abominations in Azys Lla to learn how they work. I'm down.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Extremely down for a hammer-wielding BLU tank.

Also for a "combo" CHM healer where you mix combinations (a la Ninja Mudra) and throw potions.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Hogama posted:

Oh gently caress. That would be a good twist on the Blue Mage. FFXIV has often taken traditional FF things and given them a little twist. And having blue mage be a magitek-focused class would be cool as hell.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Hogama posted:

Don't make me want to Tank. :negative:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Bahahaha. Making the gunblade class a tank is certainly a way to make a lot of people want to play a tank.

(Also, would make me scared any time I get grouped with anyone playing said class)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Guys...... what color is Ceruleum?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is there any need for third party mods for playing healer (like I remember there being in WoW)? Or can you do it okay with the interface the game provides? Is it just a matter of clicking the party member's name and then casting the spell?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Is there any need for third party mods for playing healer (like I remember there being in WoW)? Or can you do it okay with the interface the game provides? Is it just a matter of clicking the party member's name and then casting the spell?

There are no mods in this game (officially). Some people use a damage meter, but that's outside of the rules. Everything is done via the base interface you're given.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Mordiceius posted:

Change that last M to an N and it's a really pretty blue.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
It's going to be pretty good if BlueMageAction just ends up being meaningless because it's included in with Eureka lines, which story-wise is a homage to 5, birth place of the Blue Mage. Bartz Klauser was the Warrior of Light with the essence of Wind, Wind was the crystal that rewarded Blue Mage. We're definitely going to at least find out what happened with Dorgann Klauser and the rest of the Warriors of Dawn. Wouldn't surprise me of Dorgann is said Blue Mage.

I'm not saying it's definitely going to result in nothing, but the placement of that line should be suspect.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 19, 2018

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hogama posted:

Oh, poo poo, okay. Now I'm honestly expecting Blue Mage for 5.0.

(c'monnnn Beastmaster)

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

If you teleport to Ceruleum Processing Plant you can see it being vented by the machinery around the outpost.

Unfortunately the exact color is up for debate as half of the people that view the exhaust swear it's blue and the other half swear that it's gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Oh gently caress.... gold mage for 5.0. Excited for class trainer Rowena.