Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

also, the rest of the planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

jit bull transpile posted:

Took the July security update for my pixel, the next day it started rebooting every 5 minutes, forcing me to do a factory reset. After it offered to restore from a cloud backup it claimed was only 50 minutes old but it only restored half of my apps.

Apple pls hurry up and announce the iPhone refreshes so I can decide which one to order.
just get an iphone whenever you want it. it's not like apple stops pushing updates through after 6 months

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Phoenixan posted:

just get an iphone whenever you want it. it's not like apple stops pushing updates through after 6 months

Yeah but I get 750 bux off the first iPhone I buy so I want the latest and greatest if I'm pulling the trigger this year.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

The Management posted:

the eu can’t compete in tech and has decided to tax American companies with excessive and bullshit antitrust fines.
Google is an Irish company

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
yospos normally: "gently caress google, chome, anroid lol"

yospos when anybody actually does something about google: "USA! USA! USA! O SAY CAN YOU SEEE..."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

#NotAllYospos

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i have been remarkably consistent in saying gently caress google

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Wheany posted:

yospos when anybody actually does something about google: "USA! USA! USA! O SAY CAN YOU SEEE..."

gently caress google

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

infernal machines posted:

i have been remarkably consistent in saying gently caress google

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Wheany posted:

look i wanna see google fail just like the rest of us, but we have to take it down the right way, with shitposts

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1019932691339399168

lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Wheany posted:

that's just shaggar

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
google makes bad products but that doesn't mean the EU should steal from them

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

It also said Google violated competition rules by paying phone makers to exclusively pre-install Google search on their devices and preventing them from selling phones that run other modified, or "forked," versions of Android.

how does this compare to what apple does

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

flakeloaf posted:

how does this compare to what apple does

im pretty sure apple doesnt pay other phone makers to pre-install ios & garage band on their phones

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

they also don't prevent anyone that makes ios devices from making devices with forked versions of ios

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

they also don't prevent anyone that makes ios devices from making devices with forked versions of ios

oh like amazon fire phone, the phone that definitely should've been made?

i know nothing about this space

are there such things on the ios side?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

flakeloaf posted:

oh like amazon fire phone, the phone that definitely should've been made?

i know nothing about this space

are there such things on the ios side?

:thejoke:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

well that's why i asked, cause i wasn't sure that apple would be cool with foxconn also making fPhones (with some other weird not-ios os on them), but i'm gonna take a brief pause from that stupid line of thinking to laugh at foxconn's blockchain phone

https://www.investopedia.com/news/foxconn-making-blockchain-phone/

quote:

Finney will use Sirin’s proprietary operating system and will be equipped with the usual paraphernalia for smartphones, such as cameras and RAM storage space. It has an expecred price of $799. A physical security switch that protects user e-wallets distinguishes it from other mass-market versions. In addition, the phone will use three forms of authentication: biometric, behavioral and password-based.

According to its white paper, Finney devices will form their own blockchain network to enable transactions. For example, Finney users will be able to sell their phone’s Wi-Fi to other users in public places using tokens. The phone also promises to convert cash to tokens to purchase articles from sites that accept cryptocurrencies, such as Overstock.com. The Bloomberg article mentions support for “specialized tokens” for such transactions. But there is a high degree of possibility that the startup might incentivize users to transact using its own SRN token, which is already listed on four cryptocurrency exchanges.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

apple stopped licensing to oems in like '99. some phone maker putting ios on their hardware would straight up be breaking copyright law

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

flakeloaf posted:

proprietary operating system and will be equipped with the usual paraphernalia for smartphones, such as cameras and RAM storage space.  

Finney users will be able to sell their phone’s Wi-Fi to other users in public places using tokens.

there is a high degree of possibility that the startup might incentivize users to transact using its own SRN token, which is already listed on four cryptocurrency exchanges.

:discourse:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
wanna see that behavioral authentication

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

infernal machines posted:

wanna see that behavioral authentication

McDonald's!

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Bloomberg posted:

Some of the principles that Fuchsia creators are pursuing have already run up against Google’s business model. Google’s ads business relies on an ability to target users based on their location and activity, and Fuchsia’s nascent privacy features would, if implemented, hamstring this important business. There’s already been at least one clash between advertising and engineering over security and privacy features of the fledgling operating system, according to a person familiar with the matter. The ad team prevailed, this person said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-19/google-team-is-said-to-plot-android-successor-draw-skepticism

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Plank Walker posted:

The ad team prevailed, this person said.

scroogled again

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
can't spell bad without ad

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

anthonypants posted:

the pihole is the product you get when people want to deploy a 100MB hosts file on every device they own but need to introduce an iot mitm attack target to do it for them

gently caress. i read a few things and bookmarked that cause i felt guilty seemingly re-downloading large images whenever i lazily destroyed a vagrant/vm just to rebuild it imm immediately and have to redownload.

but yeah i have very fast fibre and fancy security so i’ll think again.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

PleasureKevin posted:

gently caress. i read a few things and bookmarked that cause i felt guilty seemingly re-downloading large images whenever i lazily destroyed a vagrant/vm just to rebuild it imm immediately and have to redownload.

but yeah i have very fast fibre and fancy security so i’ll think again.

You killed a hobo?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
so apparently the google pixel lacks the hardware to connect a external screen over usb-c

wtf google

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
lol the iphone 4 had an hdmi adapter

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
isn't the new hotness using wifi

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Lysidas posted:

so apparently the google pixel lacks the hardware to connect a external screen over usb-c

wtf google

lol connecting a phone to anything with a cable

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

isn't the new hotness using wifi

wifi works but it's kinda poo poo in a best case scenario

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

wifi works but it's kinda poo poo in a best case scenario

airplay works for me to both my atv and firetv

wires, lol

gtfo

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i live almost an entirely cableless existence and its awesome

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
from the apple thread:

Lysidas posted:

just got a lenovo usb-c dock for my thinkpad, to use at home, so i can plug in one cable instead of 4-5 to use the monitor keyboard mouse and ethernet in the office

had the dock delivered to work, played with it a bit and on a whim asked my office mate to plug his anroid phone into it via usb-c

everything worked as you would expect a pc to: keyboard (though anroid nicely asked for authorization to enable the physical keyboard), mouse cursor showed up on the screen, phone display was mirrored to displayport external monitor, ethernet device was detected and im sure would have worked fine if not for university network requring mac addresses to be authorized

father in law who lives in a different state really likes to show us pictures on his phone whenever we see him, so i figured it could be neat to set up the usb-c dock to our tv, and we wouldnt have to crowd around his phone

but no picture

his girlfriend's anroid phone from a different manufacturer worked fine on the tv

(and yeah i know an answer could be "get a chomecast", but not getting that in addition to a apple tv)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

dad I hate you and your phone is garbage

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

pro tip: turn OFF wifi when connecting to apple tv via wifi

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

pro tip: turn OFF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

sleepwalkers posted:

lol connecting a phone to anything with a cable

i mean true but also some corporate environments dont allow appletvs and screen recording for testing or demos is way easier with a phone connected to a usb cable

at least for ios its all the same pipe basically so screen recording with quicktime works almost the same as airplay mirroring. its handy for user testing a mobile site and recording the interactions without hovering over their shoulder

• Locked thread