Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mezzanon posted:

Cross posting from the Schadenfreude thread!

Holy poo poo has this been posted yet?

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvic...ACD&sh=7a350406

I hired someone to take my online History class. He outsourced the work to someone in Africa, and that person emailed my professor and reported me for cheating. The person I hired refuses to refund the money. What recourse do I have?

omg

I'm sharing this beautiful thing with everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Mezzanon posted:

I hired someone to take my online History class. He outsourced the work to someone in Africa, and that person emailed my professor and reported me for cheating. The person I hired refuses to refund the money. What recourse do I have?

This is amazing.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What's the point of generating profit once your debt is serviced and you've made sufficient progress toward your short and long-term savings goals? There's nothing inherently good about stockpiling more money than you need.

Generational “gently caress you” wealth of the 1%

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mezzanon posted:

:suspense:

edit: by following the link I found out that this dumb mother fucker posted the same thing three times in three days

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That is the most incredible thing that has ever been posted in the thread

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mezzanon posted:

Oh my.

This is how the video game Colonial Marines was made and it turned out just as successful.

Pro tip, if you're outsourcing your work - don't get pissy when your outsourcer outsources.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

quote:

Apparently, there was some kind of disagreement in this loving supply chain, and someone (most likely the guy in Africa) ended up emailing my professor and reporting me for cheating. The fucker presented a lot of rock-solid evidence, too.

This is one of the most beautiful 2 sentence paragraphs ever written in the English language.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Krispy Wafer posted:

Oh my.

This is how the video game Colonial Marines was made and it turned out just as successful.

Pro tip, if you're outsourcing your work - don't get pissy when your outsourcer outsources.

Did you see that it was recently discovered that a large part of why the AI in CM sucked was due to a single misspelled word in a script? A wonderful cap to that story.
https://resetera.com/threads/aliens-colonial-marines-ai-fixed-by-a-single-letter.55247/

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I want to find that guy in Africa and give him a high five

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I want to know what the African guy was getting paid. If it started at $10k and went through 2 to 3 different people he was probably getting $100.

Darkrenown posted:

Did you see that it was recently discovered that a large part of why the AI in CM sucked was due to a single misspelled word in a script? A wonderful cap to that story.
https://resetera.com/threads/aliens-colonial-marines-ai-fixed-by-a-single-letter.55247/

Haha. That's great.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Crossposting from the /r/relationships thread:

Major problem with GF (26f) of 3 years. I (27m) just took a job as a leasing agent/manager for a group of apartment complexes. I get free rent, I think that she should pay half market value. She thinks I'm being a jerk. We're stuck.

quote:

I'll keep this short. I've been with my girlfriend for three years, we lived together in a small (but really nice) house with crazy low rent. We were roommates first and then dated so in a weird twist we have never not lived together. In the house we split everything down the middle.

I recently got a job as a leasing agent/assistant manger for a rental company. The job doesn't sound too flashy but it actually has real upward mobility since it's a national company. One of the perks of my job is that I get a ridiculously nice two bedroom apartment in the nicest of the complexes 100% free. the deal is I could take half the value of the rent as extra salary, 25% as a 401k contribution and the rest is just a loss, so it makes total sense to get the full value as free rent.

Anyways, my girlfriend thinks that she should just get to live with me for free. I feel that since no one really gets to live for free she should give me almost half the rent (rounded down to the nearest hundred for ease). She thinks I'm being a total jerk and being greedy, I just feel she's not being very rational. The rent on the apartment is say 25% more than it would be on the house, but I've compromised and said she can pay what she's been paying on the house, which is lower than my nearest hundred dollar amount.

We need a solution to this by the first of August when we are scheduled to move.

What are some potential compromises?

TL;DR: I get free rent as part of my job, girlfriend thinks she should get to live for free, I think she should pay about half of market value.
Top comments are all pointing out how bad of a deal taking the free apartment is.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Haifisch posted:

Major problem with GF (26f) of 3 years. I (27m) just took a job as a leasing agent/manager for a group of apartment complexes. I get free rent, I think that she should pay half market value. She thinks I'm being a jerk. We're stuck.

Top comments are all pointing out how bad of a deal taking the free apartment is.

To be fair, soon he will no longer have to "support" his "not very rational" girlfriend. GWM.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

They've been living together for three years and he's trying to pull that???

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Does he have to pay taxes on the "free" apartment? Because then I think she should at least part of the tax burden.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Haifisch posted:

Whoof, this guy got suckered by his employer and then immediately hosed up his relationship by describing his apartment in those same terms his employer used ("it's free!"). It ain't free, man, it really ain't. The fact that your employer offered to pay you a lot more if you don't take the "free apartment" deal should have made that perfectly clear.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Wow, reddit has some fuckin' STUPID posters on it.

"he is bwing ripped off because the apartment doesn't really cost the company amything"

direct quote.

Randler posted:

Does he have to pay taxes on the "free" apartment? Because then I think she should at least part of the tax burden.

Yes, he will. But if he doesn't like the idea of some of his compensation being gobbled up by his girlfriend, romance probably isn't for him

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

they are offering him a roughly 25 percent discount on rent

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Trying to buy an older used jeep but cant afford it with negative equity. What can I do?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/900532/trying_to_buy_an_older_used_jeep_but_cant_afford/

quote:

I'm trying to buy a 2001 Jeep TJ for $9756 (incl tax tags fees), I currently have a 2012 focus w/ $7077 left on my lease. The dealer pre-approved me for $7067 for 48mo @ 22% interest with a 570 credit score (not TransUnion or Equifax). I called the bank I have an account (Navy Federal) with and was told that to get a loan for ~17000 they won't not approve me because their "value to loan amount" is too high as the vehicle is only worth 6k and there isn't enough collateral. What can I do that will approve my loan for the new vehicle?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
570 :yikes:

2001 Jeep for $10k :yikes:

22% interest :yikes:

$17,000 loan to roll the equity :yikes:

Just literally :yikes: all around

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

OP posted:

I should add, that this is from a small dealership not a big name one which is why I'm looking at getting the Jeep from there but I don't want to get screwed because of my old score
Oh yes, small dealerships are definitely less likely to milk you for every cent you have. :allears:

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
2012 Focus with $7000 left on the lease!!! Negative equity on a LEASE!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Why would you lease a six year old car

I’m not really hip to leases but that seems kind of silly?

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

Haifisch posted:

Aside from the bwm part this dude has some fuckin BALLS

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

mike- posted:

Aside from the bwm part this dude has some fuckin BALLS

He is right to ask for her to pay rent, his problem is framing it as if he is getting free rent. He isn't getting free rent, he is getting rent as a form of compensation in lieu of cash money. It is only fair for the other roommates to pay for their share of what it is costing him. The amount he is asking for is probably way too much though; sounds like 25% of the market value would be fair here since the choice was to get 50% of the rent as salary or be able to live there without paying rent.

Edit: Reading the thread it appears it is 50% cash and 25% as 401(k) contribution, so 75% of market value. So 37.5% of market value would be fair for rent there. Perhaps a bit more to account for the taxes that he will owe on the "free rent".

Raldikuk fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 19, 2018

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005
There's nothing inherently wrong with luxury cars, the societal issue is being able to put 0 or less than the off the lot depreciation down on an instantly depreciating asset. Imagine putting negative down on a house, it's the same loving thing actually its worse.

Just pay cash for your lifted truck or overpriced jeep or whatever car you want to buy and you are fine. Or at least be medium with money and put enough down that you are never upside down.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Vox Nihili posted:

Whoof, this guy got suckered by his employer and then immediately hosed up his relationship by describing his apartment in those same terms his employer used ("it's free!"). It ain't free, man, it really ain't. The fact that your employer offered to pay you a lot more if you don't take the "free apartment" deal should have made that perfectly clear.

I'd be shocked if the free apartment isn't a better deal. There's a very good chance it's not counting towards his income, and his description of how he would be paid instead is incredibly odd (the 401k part doesn't make sense).

LastDeadMouse
Sep 5, 2003
There's almost a 0 percent chance that a "national property management company" isn't royally reaming him on this free rent deal. The fact that he doesn't seem to fully understand the arrangement makes it even more likely.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Do employers pay less wage taxes if they put it in an employees 401k? I think whether taking the appartment is BWM depends on if he could get similar housing (or otherwise would if this place is super nice) for the difference in pay. It's a pretty common setup and I've seen plenty of appartments that want live on-site managers. If the other units in the property are renting for the same amount, how is it ripping him off? I don't know the details so I'm sure it's entirely possible they are telling him his unit is worth 3k a month when the others rent for 2k.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

LastDeadMouse posted:

There's almost a 0 percent chance that a "national property management company" isn't royally reaming him on this free rent deal. The fact that he doesn't seem to fully understand the arrangement makes it even more likely.

I work in the industry, it's very common. The compensation in lieu of the apartment doesn't even begin to make sense though so who knows what the deal actually is.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Can someone explain to a non car guy why depreciation is a problem? Do most people feel the need to sell their car during its useful life? Or does it pose a problem if you total your car or something?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Can someone explain to a non car guy why depreciation is a problem? Do most people feel the need to sell their car during its useful life? Or does it pose a problem if you total your car or something?
It is and it isn't. For people who buy cars they can afford on reasonable loans, it never really matters. What gets railed on, particularly in this thread, is people buying cars they can't afford on lovely loans. They're underwater the second they drive it off the lot. Two years later, when they finally realize spending 40% of their income on a Ford Raptor is stupid, they also realize they will still be paying off that lovely truck even if they sell it because it's $15k underwater. At that point, none of your options are good. Most BFC people advocate cheaper cars sure, but I've never seen someone ridiculed for a car they could genuinely afford.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I mean I can see a few advantages to taking the apartment, 0 commute so you no longer have to incur travel expenses/time to get to work would be the selling point for me personally.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

I mean I can see a few advantages to taking the apartment, 0 commute so you no longer have to incur travel expenses/time to get to work would be the selling point for me personally.

On the other hand, guess who gets called at 3am when a resident has a problem?

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Midjack posted:

On the other hand, guess who gets called at 3am when a resident has a problem?

I'm going with maintenance or the office. It's not like your apartment is also your office.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I think both Jacks are thinking it’s one of those apartment custodian positions.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

2012 Focus with $7000 left on the lease!!! Negative equity on a LEASE!

he almost certainly means loan so that is another BWM thing: not understanding what you are doing.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

a couple things: 1) yes, most people feel the need to sell the car during its useful life. the depreciation curve really starts to level out at about 15 years in the $3-5k range for most cars. People do not keep cars for 15 years. There's a big bump at 3, a bump at 5, and a big bump at about 10, in terms of car turnover. Many people who are bad with money shop on payment and get a $400/mo payment which is great it fits within their budget, but surprise! you now have a 72/84/96 mo loan and a ton of interest carried. depreciation is an inverse function and so you lose a huge chunk of value in year 1, slightly less in year 2, etc. Five years in the car needs some routine heavy maintenance costing a couple thousand dollars. The car is now worth about 30% of its original value, but they're on a 96 month loan term and so they still owe about 35% of the car's original value. Instead of spending a couple grand cash that they don't have to fix the car, the buyer goes to the dealer and rolls this negative equity in to another loan. The next loan is even more poisonous because even before the car is driven off the lot it's worth less than the loan value, and the buyer will be underwater for that much longer, causing them to do the same thing in the future with more negative equity. ~its the circle of subprime autoloans, and it mooooves us aaaaaallll~

And of course if your car gets crunched in an accident, insurance pays out on what it's worth, not what you owe (unless you are carrying gap insurance)

zonacat posted:

There's nothing inherently wrong with luxury cars, the societal issue is being able to put 0 or less than the off the lot depreciation down on an instantly depreciating asset. Imagine putting negative down on a house, it's the same loving thing actually its worse.

Just pay cash for your lifted truck or overpriced jeep or whatever car you want to buy and you are fine. Or at least be medium with money and put enough down that you are never upside down.

why would you pay cash when you can get a really good split between finance rates and the market? agreed you should never be upside down on the loan

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

If the dealership won’t offer a cash discount, take all that sub-inflation interest rate debt you can get.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Yeah, as someone currently buying a car I would be much worse off in 5 years if I took 30 grand out of my retirement savings today to get out of paying 2% interest.

if you're that guy from above paying 22% interest, then yeah don't do that. I guess if you have good credit privilege its better to finance :shrug:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Car talk runs a higher risk of self posting than wedding chat.

I think BMW has a subscription model for people who want to pay for their cars forever. I’m surprised no cheaper brands have tried it. I guess there’s a lot of moral hazard involved if you know you’re just going to replace it with a newer model in 5 years.

Edit: holy poo poo I just got the white van speakers scam in a Whole Foods parking lot.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Car talk runs a higher risk of self posting than wedding chat.

I think BMW has a subscription model for people who want to pay for their cars forever. I’m surprised no cheaper brands have tried it.

They have. Ford/Lincoln have a subscription service, so do Volvo, Cadillac, Merc, and Porsche (granted those last aren't really cheaper than BMW). There are also third-party companies that offer subscription services.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/12/car-subscription-services-going-become-new-normal/

Whether they make financial sense is...questionable.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/11/volvo-xc40-subscription-service-starts-at-600-per-month/

quote:

For $600 a month, Care by Volvo is offering access to its new XC40 — the new compact SUV that just started production in Belgium this month. Here’s how it works: Volvo customers choose a car online and make a monthly payment that covers insurance, service, and maintenance. The subscription last 24 months but, during that time, customers will be given the opportunity to change cars and sign up for a new 24-month subscription as early as a year into the existing agreement.

It’s an interesting alternative to leasing and a lot of outlets have praised the service for being so affordable, especially compared to Cadillac’s monthly subscription fee of $1,500. But the services aren’t directly comparable. Fist of all, General Motors allows customers to swap vehicles month to month. Secondly, those models are valeted to you and could have an MSRP in excess of $86,000.

Meanwhile, Volvo’s XC40 starts around $33,200. However, the subscription-service model is the T5 AWD Momentum trim that comes with 2.0-liter turbo engine, 19-inch black diamond-cut wheels, heated front seats, heated steering wheel, and a panoramic roof. That unit costs two-grand more out the door than the base XC40.

Customers can also pay a $700 monthly fee and upgrade to the T5 R-Design, which comes with everything that the standard model has — plus a Harmon Kardon audio system, different color scheme, and larger wheels.

However, the million-dollar question is if this subscription service is really worth it. While Forbes seemed keen on the pricing strategy, we’re of the mind that it being a bargain is highly circumstantial. It’s not much different than what it would cost to purchase an XC40 using a 60-month loan and some pretty average financing. That said, if you’ve got horrendous credit and are likely to be slammed with high interest rates, then $600 a month might not be such a bad deal.

Of course, if you’re buying you have to insure the car yourself but you also get to sell it once you’ve paid it off. Although, if you’re interested in a subscription service in the first place, you’re probably more apt to lease than buy — and leasing is where Care by Volvo runs into the most trouble.

You can lease a similarly priced Volvo for significantly less than $600 per month and the same is true of far more expensive models. The dealership nearest to me is currently offering the 2018 Volvo S90 T5 Momentum for $419 a month. Again, you have to pay for insurance but you’ll likely be saving a bundle in the long run — and that’s on a vehicle that starts $10,000 higher than the XC40