Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I remember that originally Quake was going to be a first-person fighting game. I wonder what video games would be like now if that had happened
Before that it was gonna be a side-scrolling action-RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

Unrelated to anything, I was struck with a thought this morning: it’s real strange that Super Mario RPG has “RPG” in the title.

Really?

Mario Kart
Mario Tennis
Mario Golf
Mario Paint
Mario Party
Mario Hoops
Mario Run
Mario RPG

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

The Colonel posted:

me: as a lesbian, i travel the world in search of the one fellow lesbian who can beat me at cyber sled

are you a scott pilgrim spinoff

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

doingitwrong posted:

are you a scott pilgrim spinoff

no

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I gotta say, I am really liking NieR and I am thoroughly thrilled about getting through this to go to Automata.

Between this and Drakengard I can see why Yoko Taro gets to keep making games. There’s just so many moments where you expect it to go in a certain direction and it just...doesn’t. Or it does and it goes absolutely horribly for everyone involved. I kind of love it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

doingitwrong posted:

Really?

Mario Kart
Mario Tennis
Mario Golf
Mario Paint
Mario Party
Mario Hoops
Mario Run
Mario RPG

Yeah it’s specifically the term “RPG” in a title that’s notable, it’s very descriptive and not sexy. Like imagine Mario Mascot Racer Game

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

In Training posted:

Lol cool. I picked up eo4 on 3DS yesterday since it was on sale and did some dungeon crawling over afternoon tea. Very cool.

I fuckin love the Etrian Odyssey games and I have never actually finished one. Man I gotta get back on that, drawing maps is amazing. I am like halfway through Untold and I got a few levels into IV and kept getting creamed by this dragon that would suddenly plow through the field and take me out but I can do it

I think I have every Monster Hunter available on 3DS and I never properly finished any of them too. poo poo, I am gonna love my 3DS forever

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah it’s specifically the term “RPG” in a title that’s notable, it’s very descriptive and not sexy. Like imagine Mario Mascot Racer Game

I'm not sure Mascot Racer Game was a term before Mario Kart.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The Colonel posted:

why wouldn't you want a gf who can kick your rear end

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yokus island express is very cool

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Guitar is hard.

Why can't it be easy like videogames? :sigh:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

b_d posted:

waking up is like ah... poo poo... I’m still this guy and now i’m hungry

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anyone played the extra content in Sonic Mania Plus yet? I know I'll probably buy it for myself anyway but wanted to see if anyone had glaring issues with it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, I had no idea Shadow of War had multiple giant kaiju battles. This game has some pretty neat hooks now that the lootboxes are gone.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Anyone played the extra content in Sonic Mania Plus yet? I know I'll probably buy it for myself anyway but wanted to see if anyone had glaring issues with it.

My friend said they managed to make the Metal Sonic boss even worse but I haven't tried it out myself.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ometeotl posted:

My friend said they managed to make the Metal Sonic boss even worse but I haven't tried it out myself.

I didn't think it could suck more

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
“Finally, a person worthy of my affection. I am forever equally devoted to you and your BlazBlue prowess. Let us away, and begin a fabulous new chapter of life together!”

“Lol, scrub.”

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
VG247 pulls support and coverage of GOG.com following pro GamerGate tweet. Is it me or is that a bit of a stretch.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/avX8mmN.mp4

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mak0rz posted:

Guitar is hard.

Why can't it be easy like videogames? :sigh:

Have you tried Rocksmith

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think this is generally considered the best way to learn guitar

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

for close to the past 20 years my breakfast every morning has consisted of a nice cup of coffee because the last thing i want to do in the morning is eat something, but i think in my dotage my diet is going to have to change pretty soon because consistently when i eat my lunch at 1:00 or so i crash super hard and start falling asleep at my desk

I’ve slept through my lunch hour every day for the last four years

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

lol what a bunch of babies

Dogwhistle gamergating. For fuckin serious.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I switched to the 1.5 breakfast routine a few months ago and I love it. I'm inching closer to becoming a Hobbit. I eat a piece of toast with honey and peanut butter by 6 AM and bring a small thermos of oatmeal to work. I eat that around 9 and I'm good til lunch at noonish.

Breakfast rules. On the weekends I like dippy eggs and toast and fruit and coffee. Mmhmm. Waking up at 6 on a Saturday, making a nice breakfast, and eating it in bed while playing Switch games is one of my favorite things lately.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

mornings are the worst time of day and everything about it (waking up, doing stuff after waking up) sucks. i used i work 3pm-midnight and go to bed at 4 am and it was so good

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

A bit of a stretch? That thing has been stretched a mile

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

oddium posted:

mornings are the worst time of day and everything about it (waking up, doing stuff after waking up) sucks. i used i work 3pm-midnight and go to bed at 4 am and it was so good

Morning is the best best time of the day imo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

oddium posted:

I knew a guy in grad school who was so nocturnal that when he had to teach an 8 AM class one semester, he did it by just staying up all night and going to bed at 9:30 AM after his class was over. Dude just loved being up all night, I guess.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

MysticalMachineGun posted:

A bit of a stretch? That thing has been stretched a mile

It's not a stretch at all but it was apparently unintentional on GOG's part.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

It's not a stretch at all but it was apparently unintentional on GOG's part.

Postal 2 is from 2003. To take a reference from that and then believe it’s so sinister that you immediately cut off all news coverage for a games distributor, you’re stretching so much that you should be considered a yoga teacher.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's funny that the social climate writ large has regressed to the point where people are finally get offended by Postal 2.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Dewgy posted:

Postal 2 is from 2003. To take a reference from that and then believe it’s so sinister that you immediately cut off all news coverage for a games distributor, you’re stretching so much that you should be considered a yoga teacher.

Peep the date on the gravestone.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Peep the date on the gravestone.

Oh yeah, I forgot it got DLC a decade after the fact. Still an incredibly stupid way for VG247 to react though and more or less over nothing.

E: might want to reupload that image, I doubt a discord link’s gonna last long

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

oddium posted:

mornings are the worst time of day and everything about it (waking up, doing stuff after waking up) sucks.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I would've never noticed that connection despite following gaming news pretty regularly, I'd imagine they didn't either.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I’m not up on the Postal 2 Lore, but it’s one hell of a funny coincidence that of all the dates in the world between 2003 and 2018 that they could have possibly put on Games Journalism’s grave, they landed on the date that GG launched.

Truly, we live in wonderous times.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I was at a Starbucks and ordered a sandwich. After ten minutes my order hadn't come out and I should have talked to someone but it was the morning rush and I didn't want to go up there when it was so crowded. Forty-five minutes later I still hadn't gone up there and it felt too weird so I just left.

I think I might have some kind of anxiety disorder

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I saw that GOG tweet shitstorm go down in real time last night and yeah though it might have been unintentional it uh was kind of very insensitive to people who were victimized by targeted harassment campaigns associated with GG. The responses to that tweet (and to the people criticizing the tweet) were loving awful.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Have you tried Rocksmith

I considered it until I read some testimonials from some guitar goons. The problem with Rocksmith is that it teaches you how to be good at playing Rocksmith, not necessarily how to play the guitar.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was at a Starbucks and ordered a sandwich. After ten minutes my order hadn't come out and I should have talked to someone but it was the morning rush and I didn't want to go up there when it was so crowded. Forty-five minutes later I still hadn't gone up there and it felt too weird so I just left.

I think I might have some kind of anxiety disorder

Yyyeah that's... Probable.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
It was correct to criticize GOG and they were correct to apologize for it.

• Locked thread