Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

drunkill posted:

This is the way to do bus strikes. Given they've striked for two days in the past two weeks already they risk turning the public against them. This will be more effective towards the company. Still gotta pay to run the buses instead of having them parked up for a day.

It's a shame this kind of strike (the kind that only pisses off bosses, makes the public happy) is only possible in certain industries.

It'd be a hell of a thing if pizza delivery drivers or baristas started not charging people as a strike against low or underpaid wages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Who is tj Miller

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

tithin posted:

Who is tj Miller

Weasel from Deadpool.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

tithin posted:

Who is tj Miller

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

drunkill posted:

This is the way to do bus strikes. Given they've striked for two days in the past two weeks already they risk turning the public against them. This will be more effective towards the company. Still gotta pay to run the buses instead of having them parked up for a day.

That's pretty dope, providing the service while withholding the profit

Surely not as good as withholding the service though

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

The Peccadillo posted:

The employer is still paying wages and running costs without collecting revenue.

Employees get paid, commuters don’t get hosed around with schedule changes and the company lose a day of fares. That seems like the best possible outcome imo.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

GoldStandardConure posted:

Weasel from Deadpool.

Was that the dude you said was a hot mess in the crew thread?

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Dude McAwesome posted:

The employer is still paying wages and running costs without collecting revenue.

Employees get paid, commuters don’t get hosed around with schedule changes and the company lose a day of fares. That seems like the best possible outcome imo.

Also passes that bullshit no economic impact test the train drivers hit in Sydney?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

The QLD LNP 2018 convention resolutions

https://convention.lnp.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2018-Convention-Open-Session-Resolutions.pdf

A selection, read more.

Conventions posted:

74 TRADE UNIONS METRO WEST REGION
That this Convention of the LNP calls upon the Federal Coalition Government to reduce the influence of trade unions in Australia.

75 NGO FUNDING YOUNG LNP
That this Convention of the LNP calls on the Federal Coalition Government to end funding to any NGO that provides abortion services.

76 URANNAH DAM DAWSON FDC
That this Convention of the LNP congratulates the LNP State Opposition for their commitment, at the last election, to construct Urannah Dam and urge both them and the Federal Coalition Government to commit to this project and other North Queensland dams.

77 ABORTION COERCION LNP WOMEN
That this Convention of the LNP calls on an incoming LNP State Government to research and introduce policies to address the serious issue of abortion coercion in Qld.

78 BIRTH CERTIFICATES MOUNT OMMANEY SEC METRO WEST REGION
That this Convention of the LNP calls on an incoming LNP State Government to legislate that (a) Birth Certificates must contain a publicly available record of every persons actual biological sex at birth as either male or female; and (b) that no other sex or gender is to be recorded on a persons Birth Certificate or any other post birth Government record

79 WASTEWATER MANAGEMENT CALLIDE SEC
That this Convention of the LNP calls on an incoming LNP State Government to undertake a review of the SANTOS CSG wastewater management at SCOTIA field

80 HYDROGRAPHIC SURVEYS BULIMBA SEC
That this Convention of the LNP urges an incoming LNP State Government to commit to carrying out yearly hydrographic surveys to establish a 3D model of the Brisbane River between Ipswich and the Hamilton Wharf in order to mitigate future flooding events.
Etc.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

quote:

That this convention of the LNP urges the Federal Coalition Government to set a policy for equal
pay regardless of gender.

I found where the clock broke.

There's some weird poo poo in here.

quote:

That this Convention of the LNP calls on the Federal Coalition Government to introduce the
principles of Neuro-plasticity and cognitive exercises for students to improve academic
performance at all levels from pre-School to Year 12.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-19/daryl-maguire-asks-for-privacy-after-family-death/10008996

quote:

Embattled Wagga Wagga MP Daryl Maguire will from today go on bereavement leave after revealing his son-in-law has died after a short illness.
In a short statement released on Thursday morning the ex-Liberal MP, who this week faced mounting pressure to quit after giving damning evidence at an Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) inquiry, appealed for privacy.
"A member of Mr Maguire's immediate family has passed away and Mr Maguire has left the electorate to be with his family," the statement said.
"Mr Maguire asks that he and his family be provided with some privacy at this time.
"No further comment will be made by Daryl Maguire MP regarding the ongoing ICAC inquiry."

The MP said he did not want to burden the taxpayer with the cost of a by-election and would not recontest his seat at the March 2019 election.
He's quit the party, the Liberals want him to resign from Parliament and Labor are threatening to call a vote to boot him out on Tuesday

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Why do they get so excited about stuff that wouldn't take traction in this country eg. anti-choice stuff

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I think I'm going to regret asking this, but what exactly is 'abortion coercion'?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Dude McAwesome posted:

That's not the "outcome", though, you know what I mean?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Starshark posted:

I think I'm going to regret asking this, but what exactly is 'abortion coercion'?

Made-up stories to be used as an excuse to limit access or make access more complex/lengthly

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Starshark posted:

As I understand it, not forcing healthcare providers to deliver a script about how the patient has the option of carrying a baby to term and giving it up for adoption/isn't required to conduct an ultrasound before an abortion

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 19, 2018

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

quote:

That this Convention of the LNP calls on an incoming LNP State Government to legislate that (a) Birth Certificates must contain a publicly available record of every persons actual biological sex at birth as either male or female;

Gee, I wonder what could possibly go wrong with a publicly accessible database of trans people.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

tithin posted:

Was that the dude you said was a hot mess in the crew thread?

I honestly can't remember. But probably.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

bandaid.friend posted:

Made-up stories to be used as an excuse to limit access or make access more complex/lengthly

The Peccadillo posted:

As I understand it, not forcing healthcare providers to deliver a script about how the patient has the option of carrying a baby to term and giving it up for adoption/isn't required to conduct an ultrasound before an abortion

I knew it. I feel sad now.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
It’s a very serious issue. I had someone try to coerce me into having an abortion the other day and I’m not even pregnant!

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Just because they have to do the ultrasound I don't think the law is specific about showing it. I suppose most people would feel a curiousity but if you just think it's part of the clinical process (working out where to jab the vacuum) you might not notice.

Edit: by which I mean to say it shouldn't be required but it's not as depressing practice as it may seem

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
I think it's comparing to the US side of things where many states DO force you to get an ultrasound only for the purposes of them showing it to you to try and force you to connect with the fetus, and not to, like, help in any medical sense.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Zenithe posted:

quote:

That this Convention of the LNP calls on the Federal Coalition Government to introduce the
principles of Neuro-plasticity and cognitive exercises for students to improve academic
performance at all levels from pre-School to Year 12.
There's some weird poo poo in here.

I like this one because neuroplasticity is the idea that your brain can keep learning and growing long after it's matured, which is ironic given the source.

Also literally the only place you don't need to consider it is in young people.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/smurray38/status/1019906248785911808

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

That would be a lot more damming if I had any idea who has the live in nanny working as a paid government employee?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Wait what the gently caress they have a public servant as live in help?!?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Lol the public servant has to walk the dog and pick up the poo poo.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Comstar posted:

That would be a lot more damming if I had any idea who has the live in nanny working as a paid government employee?

https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/1019900000308932608

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

G-Spot Run posted:

Just because they have to do the ultrasound I don't think the law is specific about showing it. I suppose most people would feel a curiousity but if you just think it's part of the clinical process (working out where to jab the vacuum) you might not notice.

Edit: by which I mean to say it shouldn't be required but it's not as depressing practice as it may seem

No it really is incredibly hosed up, and is another step aimed at guilting and emotionally manipulating pregnant women into not aborting. There's no real medical reason to do it to my understanding (healthcare professionals please correct me if I'm wrong), and it's solely designed to reinforce the message of "this is a living thing inside you".

There's no way to do it with the woman "thinking it's part of the clinical process". It'd be literally impossible to do it without the woman knowing it was happening (as the ultrasound tech necessarily has to be in the same room as the woman and the monitor). If you do a standard external ultrasound (i.e. on the belly), nobody's going to be so dumb as to think it's part of the process "to figure out where to jab the vacuum". If you do a transvaginal (i.e. internal) ultrasound, that's literally rape if they don't consent yet it's a legal requirement.

If your* justification for why it isn't so bad really relies on uninformed consent (or, as it's also known, lying to patients about medical procedures that are being done to them), you done hosed up.

*Not you specifically G-Spot, general third person you.

Whitlam fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 19, 2018

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

there's the ol' penrith spirit

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Wait what the gently caress they have a public servant as live in help?!?

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Lol the public servant has to walk the dog and pick up the poo poo.

No they’re not APS, they’re probably young labor hacks doing something infinitely more productive than what they normally do

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Whitlam posted:

nobody's going to be so dumb as to think it's part of the process "to figure out where to jab the vacuum"

I mean, it depends, if they're proselytizing at me about my precious gift then probably not but if it's a quick swipe before going into the surgery y'know maybe someone could be that dumb.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Birdstrike posted:

No they’re not APS, they’re probably young labor hacks doing something infinitely more productive than what they normally do

poor anidav

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

G-Spot Run posted:

I mean, it depends, if they're proselytizing at me about my precious gift then probably not but if it's a quick swipe before going into the surgery y'know maybe someone could be that dumb.

Still relies on the professional lying to/misleading the patient though.

(I realise you're being tongue in cheek and not seriously advocating this, but there are people who genuinely believe it.)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
There were multiple NRL related abortion coercion cases.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

There were multiple NRL related abortion coercion cases.

Pretty harsh, but still a fair review of the footy show.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

The Peccadillo posted:

They have had two days of strikes already these past two weeks. Keep going and the public will turn against them if the buses don't run again for another day. This is better, people will get behind the drivers when the trip is free and it costs the company money because the buses still need fuel and running costs. Not to mention staff wages.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Is anyone else getting targeted ads from the government saying you get money if you snitch on companies using pirated software?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Zenithe posted:

Is anyone else getting targeted ads from the government saying you get money if you snitch on companies using pirated software?

Yeah I get them occasionally but I'm in the industry and have to tell businesses every second day that running a 100 person business with all pirated software isn't a smart move so idk I'm tempted to take the reward sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Zenithe posted:

Is it even the government? I thought it was the lobby group for businesses

• Locked thread